daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #1361
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I wondered about that myself. Unfortunately, I see Chicago falling out of the top 10.
I don't at all, I don't know why people are comparing Chicago to Singapore, Bangkok etc. It's definitely a caliber above those.

Chi town already has 4 buildings in the 350 meter range or higher and a couple possible supertall proposals as well as Chicago Spire.

If the spire is built I think Chicago will stay in the top 5 let alone top 10...

If we get lucky that is.

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:28 AM   #1362
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I don't at all, I don't know why people are comparing Chicago to Singapore, Bangkok etc. It's definitely a caliber above those.
Where is anybody comparing Chicago to Singapore and Bangkok? Someone said they could all fall out of the top 10. That's all I saw. Singapore did fall out of the top 10 once before already. I'm not comparing Chicago to any other city. I'm considering how fast other Asian cities are building compared to Chicago.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:41 AM   #1363
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1165

Chicago is defiantly not falling out of the 10.
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:51 AM   #1364
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

This thread should really be called "The Tallest Skylines by 2025." With that, Chicago probably will fall out of the top 5. However, if the true intent of the thread is to measure the best overall skylines in the world by 2025, I can't see Chicago falling out of the top 3 let alone the top 5. Then again, what do I know? I'm just another idiot on the internet with an opinion.

-Corey-, Core Rising liked this post
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:58 AM   #1365
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3521usa View Post
This thread should really be called "The Tallest Skylines by 2025." With that, Chicago probably will fall out of the top 5. However, if the true intent of the thread is to measure the best overall skylines in the world by 2025, I can't see Chicago falling out of the top 3 let alone the top 5. Then again, what do I know? I'm just another idiot on the internet with an opinion.
If it were up to me, this would definitely be the case, but as huge as some of the skylines are getting in some of these Chinese cities, you just can't ignore them. Chicago is already out of the top 5 accornding to this source, and Shenzen is about to overtake it there.

http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old March 21st, 2014, 03:16 AM   #1366
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Yea but when you say "best", its all opinion. I don't consider best a skyline with supertalls and megatalls surrounded by residential apartment towers that look atrocious, that personally is not my definition of "best". Chicago has a gorgeous skyline with a great mix of buildings from different time periods. If any Chinese city other then SHanghai and Hong Kong were to get into my top 10 it would be Guangzhou. Shenzen just isn't my cup of tea, but that is all to opinion as well.

N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 03:25 AM   #1367
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
Yea but when you say "best", its all opinion. I don't consider best a skyline with supertalls and megatalls surrounded by residential apartment towers that look atrocious, that personally is not my definition of "best". Chicago has a gorgeous skyline with a great mix of buildings from different time periods. If any Chinese city other then SHanghai and Hong Kong were to get into my top 10 it would be Guangzhou. Shenzen just isn't my cup of tea, but that is all to opinion as well.
This would be my opinion as well, but with a city like Shenzen, you simply can't ignore the numbers.

My photo threads:

Old March 21st, 2014, 03:35 AM   #1368
Smiazon

Likes (Received): 1175

Quote:
Shenzhen is just ugly, no real start and end to the skyline just a big mess of some ugly apartment buildings with some nice taller ones. Guangzhou and Hong Kong are my favorite Chinese citys, i don't like Shanghai that much either.
It says Best skylines of 2025. I agree, the current Shenzhen is ugly, but with all the massive projects and renovations coming, I'm sure it'll explode up in the Top 5.
Smiazon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:06 AM   #1369
Jay

True, a lot can also happen between now and 2025. I would have never expected for a place like NYC to explode with so much development, but look at it now.

Hopefully that continues in the right direction.

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:15 AM   #1370
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
True, a lot can also happen between now and 2025. I would have never expected for a place like NYC to explode with so much development, but look at it now.
Just when you think New York can't grow any more, it somehow manages to do it. Brooklyn is getting a nice skyline all its own now.

My photo threads:

Old March 21st, 2014, 04:27 AM   #1371
Jay

Quote:
Just when you think New York can't grow any more, it somehow manages to do it. Brooklyn is getting a nice skyline all its own now.
Same with Jersey City and Queens

New York can always grow, there are a lot of site on which developers can build new and very large buildings, what you see planned now is not the last of it either.
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:27 AM   #1372
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6741

Actually 2025 still long time from now and Singapore could have taken off the height limit and sure there will be many supertalls built in singapore as many local developers has interests in building so. In 2030, the government master plan is to introduce 6.9million population and this mean adding more offices in marina bay as well as shift the port in south cbd to make way for residential and commercial use. It will be massive skyline look by then
WingWing está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:34 AM   #1373
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

On what basis would Singapore raise its height restrictions? This is something determined by aviation experts. What has changed?

My photo threads:

Old March 21st, 2014, 05:36 AM   #1374
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6741

Quote:
On what basis would Singapore raise its height restrictions? This is something determined by aviation experts. What has changed?
Becos the govt mention they will relocate the Kallang airbase in master plan which mean that height restrictions will be changed
WingWing está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:57 AM   #1375
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

I like quality over quantity. That's why I think Chicago is not going anywhere.. Stuck in my top 10.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 08:34 AM   #1376
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
I doubt many have all that high an opinion of the Shenzhen skyline, but this thread is about 2025 not today. I agree that this shouldn't boil down to a simple comparison of scale and height, but I feel some people overly dismiss the quality of what's being built in some of these up and coming skylines.

Most people have Chicago in their top 5 today, but that doesn't mean people will continue to do so. The quality and variety of Chicago's architecture won't be enough to keep it there, imo. I doubt I'll have it in my top 10 either. As you stated, it boils down to personal opinion in the end.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; March 21st, 2014 at 09:01 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 09:01 AM   #1377
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

But the Chicago skyline won't be the same in 2025 as it is today either. It will definitely be taller and denser. On the other hand, those Asians cities will still be lacking variety, and quite possibly, quality. Again, people have their opinions. For example, even though San Francisco has a small skyline compared to many Asian cities, I think it still looks better than Most. Same with Seattle.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 09:05 AM   #1378
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3521usa View Post
But the Chicago skyline won't be the same in 2025 as it is today either.
Yes I know. Like I've mentioned many many times already, my conclusions take into account growth in all the cities I've analyzed.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:17 AM   #1379
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/13172536974

My photo threads:

Old March 22nd, 2014, 05:26 PM   #1380
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta1088 View Post
Probably Shenzhen, by 2025 houhai should be totally built and qianhai should be more than half done as well, by then Shenzhen should at least have 25 supertalls if not more

I agreed with you...

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Sky@Shenzhen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline