daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:49 AM   #1401
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
check all the photos on this page before making an ignorant remark
That's just my opinion, you don't have to like it.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:51 AM   #1402
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5227

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That last remark makes me suspect you're judging based on what exists today. This thread is about what will exist 11 years from now. Looking at what exist today isn't going to give you the information you need. One also needs to look over proposals and buildings under construction to arrive at a conclusion.

This isn't a 'Best Skyline in 2014' thread.
And how do you know, most of those proposals are going to be built? I'd only count those that are u/c..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:54 AM   #1403
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6798

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
And how do you know, most of those proposals are going to be built? I'd only count those that are u/c..
I

What U/C will be seen before 2018. What proposed are representing 2025. Nowadays no one build a skyscraper for 11 years. At most 3-4 years. Whats more important will be the demand of offices and luxury apartments
apartments.

You will also need to consider these kind of factors such as the population growth, income growth, gdp growth, purchasing power, etc in order to see the potential of the 2025 skylines of these cities.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:55 AM   #1404
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Agree. Dubai has lots over 150m, but surprisingly little in the 50-150m range. It will always look a bit contrived till there's more balance. This might put things into perspective:

# of buildings 50-150m
New York 3052
Toronto 1133
Chicago 819
Dubai 276
No wonder why it looks so empty...Dubai is definitely not a conventional city by any means...there should have been at least 2000 higrises in the 50-150 range to balance its supertalls...

Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 08:59 AM   #1405
WingWing

Quote:
No wonder why it looks so empty...Dubai is definitely not a conventional city by any means...there should have been at least 2000 higrises in the 50-150 range to balance its supertalls...

True Dubai lack of highrises and all their supertall are clise to each others making their uniqueness gone and their beauty fade away as each others trying to steal the limelight instead of supporting one another

WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:08 AM   #1406
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10983

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
And how do you know, most of those proposals are going to be built?
I don't, but I've been looking over their development boards for years and the vast majority of them get built. They get built because there is huge demand for offices and residential in these countries. In the west, everything is largely built already.

In Asia, they're attempting to build whole cities from the ground up as hundreds of millions of people move to the city from the country side and they become much much wealthier than they were before.

The rules that apply in the developed world just don't apply in most of Asia. They're going through the boom that we went through a century ago. On the flip side, it makes the growth in places like New York, Toronto, and London all the more impressive. These cities exist in mature developed economies yet still build a great deal.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; March 23rd, 2014 at 09:14 AM.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:18 AM   #1407
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

Quote:

In Asia, they're attempting to build whole cities from the ground up as hundreds of millions of people move to the city from the country side and they become much much wealthier than they were before.
Do you know how many empty buildings certain Chinese cities and Dubai have? You can't seriously think all of that building is necessary. Also "hundreds of millions" is an overstatement.

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:30 AM   #1408
great184
visionary

Likes (Received): 281

Quote:
In my humble opinion once Dubai focuses on smaller, more conservative but more functional mid-rises hi-rises to fill in those spaces it will go up a couple of notches as one of the best skylines of the near future.

By having more generic building types, the present megastructures will look, well more "unique"

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536278
great184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:46 AM   #1409
legan

Likes (Received): 342

KL2020
Old March 23rd, 2014, 02:08 PM   #1410
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Do you know how many empty buildings certain Chinese cities and Dubai have? You can't seriously think all of that building is necessary. Also "hundreds of millions" is an overstatement.
Nearly 300 million Chinese have already moved to the cities since Deng's opening up of the economy in the 1980s. There are another 350-400 million still to come (nearly 250 million in the next decade) - it's the biggest migration of humanity in history.

India is on the same scale - 350 million will move to the cities by 2030.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; March 23rd, 2014 at 03:52 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 02:10 PM   #1411
TowerVerre:)

Likes (Received): 1832

Damn, Shenzhen is extremly ugly. Just a concrete desert with no green space and only with ugly residental blocks.

And if you want to see all the ugly proposals, just watch the Shenzhen supertalls video in my signiture. You will see, they are building just glass boxes and nothing more.

Last edited by TowerVerre:); March 23rd, 2014 at 04:19 PM.
TowerVerre:) está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 03:47 PM   #1412
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
There has certainly been massive over building in some Chinese cities and in Dubai, but to conclude that it's representative across Asia is simplistic to say the least.

Most studies do put the number in the 'hundreds of millions'. When one considers the urbanization rate in India, China, Indonesia, the Philippines, and a long list of other Asian cities, it becomes quite evident that the estimate is correct. These countries don't need to come anywhere close to western urbanization rates and we're already in the 'hundreds of millions'.

Just a percentage point rise in the Asian urbanization rate equates to 41.6 million people moving to a city from the country side. There are 4.16 billion people in Asia.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; March 23rd, 2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 04:19 PM   #1413
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
check all the photos on this page before making an ignorant remark
So if someone doesnt like Shenzen, they are automatically ignorant? This is a skyline thread and you post pictures of mountains and beaches, and some street view pictures. Shenzens skyline is just so unorganized and looks like a big mess,which is why I dont like it.

N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:18 PM   #1414
jaysonn341

Likes (Received): 334

I'm not a hater, but I'm personally not a fan of Shenzhen's skyline. It's too spread out and there just isn't this "wow" factor that you would feel when you see Shanghai, Hong Kong or even Guangzhou. I personally would rate Chongqing's skyline over Shenzhen's.

Just adding, I'm also not a fan of Dubai's skyline. Something just doesn't feel right there.

Anyway my list:
1. HK
2. NYC
3. Shanghai

These three are the big WOW skylines IMO.
jaysonn341 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:22 PM   #1415
WingWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonn341 View Post
I'm not a hater, but I'm personally not a fan of Shenzhen's skyline. It's too spread out and there just isn't this "wow" factor that you would feel when you see Shanghai, Hong Kong or even Guangzhou. I personally would rate Chongqing's skyline over Shenzhen's.

Just adding, I'm also not a fan of Dubai's skyline. Something just doesn't feel right there.

Anyway my list:
1. HK
2. NYC
3. Shanghai

These three are the big WOW skylines IMO.

Ur list is for the current skyline but this is a 2025 best skyline thread, i would say hk and new york may be hard to enter top 3 skyline by that time. Given the potential of empty lands in the main cbd of shenzhen, we can see shenzhen vying for top 3 spot in 2025.
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 09:48 PM   #1416
Smiazon

Likes (Received): 1175

My list.
1. Shenzhen
2. New York City
3. Shanghai
4. Hong Kong
5. Jeddah
6. Chicago
7. Seoul
8. Dubai
9. Tokyo
10. Guangzhou
11. Mumbai
12. Moscow
13. Jakarta
14. London
15. Wuhan
16. Busan
17. Panama
18. Osaka
19. Sao Paulo
20. Bogota

I might revise it.

WingWing, TowerVerre:), Dito Roso liked this post
Smiazon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:04 PM   #1417
McEwen1

Likes (Received): 13

Yes, it's AMAZING the kind of progress an authoritarian country can make.

Good for you.

Quick question, though ... where are all the pictures that show the suffocating air pollution?

Yeah.
McEwen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:08 PM   #1418
isaidso
the new republic

Can we stick to constructive posts that are on point and steer clear of insulting other countries please.

WingWing liked this post
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:14 PM   #1419
McEwen1

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Can we stick to constructive posts and steer clear of insulting other countries please.

Sorry.
McEwen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:36 PM   #1420
lukahead6
lukahead6

Likes (Received): 263

When people think of the shanghai skyline they immediately think of Pudong with the IFC, Jin Mao, ST, and the Oriental Pearl Tower in the frame. The fact that these buildings are packed into a space that allows for all of them to be captured by photo with great detail, makes the Pudong and thus Shanghai skyline very photogenic and popular to skyscraper fans.

Shenzhen will have 4 and potentially 5 areas like this. Luohu, Futian, Houhai, Qianhai and Baishizhou.

There is over 70 supertall projects in Shenzhen, with just as much skyscraper projects. There are currently over 100 buildings over 100m being built as we speak. All the 200m and 300m skyscrapers will be fillers.

Trust me by 2025 the Futian CBD will be done, with Gemdale Ganxia (380m), Ping an south (300+m), Ping An (660m) and the dozens of filler 200m+ towers within the CBD completed. Increasing the height and density of Futian skyline.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...2225109937.jpg

Luohu is waiting approval of a potential 700m+ megatall next to Kingkey110, along with about a dozen highrises and skyscrapers added in the vicinity. The 329 Heung Kong tower will lie in between Luohu and Futian, connecting the skylines together.

Qianhai will be amazing when complete and will basically be a sea of sub 400m supertalls.

Houhai which in between Qianhai and Futian is experiencing SOOO much construction. Supertall Hong Kwok just got completed and looks sick! Right, next to it is the CASC Center 230m, Excellence Center (200m) and 3 towers above 380m.

If Baishizhou gets approved and constructed, it will add a VERY Futuristic and tall mini CBD right next to Houhai, with a corruscant like impression.
http://i.imgur.com/1QLPvTT.jpg

Tags
skyline