daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:56 AM   #1461
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Progress on Brickell CityCentre.

"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

KlausDiggy, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:07 PM   #1462
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

I'm a bit bias but I love Chicago the birth place of the Skyscraper. The place where the first Steel framed building was designed and built, where the first tubular structured skyscraper was designed and built, and the place where the first clustered tube structure was designed and built.

Skyline with proposed Chicago Spire
[IMG]http://i59.************/3584bq8.jpg[/IMG]

KlausDiggy, TowerVerre:) liked this post
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:45 PM   #1463
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

What is the latest on the Chicago Spire? What else do we have to look forward to?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:35 PM   #1464
rlw777

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
What is the latest on the Chicago Spire? What else do we have to look forward to?
The Chicago Spire (600m) is out of bankruptcy and back to finding funding with a stated commitment to the original design. Wolf Point already has it's first of 3 towers under construction at the river confluence the tallest of which is 80 floors and should come in just under 300m. There are two other office towers also in the works at the Chicago river confluence... River point 52fl 730ft and 150 north riverside around 740ft. Realtors have hinted at building a supertall next to trump tower and there were renderings recently for a potential supertall just west of sears tower.

Also if I forget my bias for Chicago for a second I gotta say I don't imagine any city in the world will have a better skyline than New York City anytime soon. There are several places with bigger buildings but they either have a few architectural gems surrounded by a sea of the exact same few designs repeated over and over again like every city China or like in Dubai they have a few really tall buildings that look lonely among all the tiny houses.

The NYC metro area on the other hand will by 2025 have at least 5 different mature and diverse skylines that fit in perfectly with the city around them. Here's a rundown of the 5 skylines of New York City.

Midtown Manhattan Skyline is adding 5 or 6 supertalls, along with the crazy number of buildings coming to Hudson Yards.

Lower Manhattan (financial district) is finishing up the WTC mega project and adding several other condo towers to the mix.

Across the East River Brooklyn heights is becoming a legit skyline on it's own. It just broke it's own tallest building record and will break it 2 more times in the next few years. It also has several mega projects currently under construction.

Just North of there Long Island City will have it's own skyline it's adding about 20 new skyscrapers including a few challenging it's own height record though not breaking it.

On the other side of Manhattan across the Hudson River there are about 15 projects underway to fill in the Long Island City skyline.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:39 PM   #1465
Smiazon

Likes (Received): 1175

I underestimated Miami's growth! Perhaps Miami will surpass Chicago and LA being USA's #2 WOW.

I think Shenzhen or NY will take the spot.
Smiazon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:56 PM   #1466
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

LA? For sure. Chicago? Needs a lot of catching up before that.

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:58 PM   #1467
Jennette

Likes (Received): 425

It might seem weird to you but Izmir will have one of the best by 2025 imo.
sogıslarga küş bergen
köptü körgen dombıra
Jennette no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:34 PM   #1468
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
The Chicago Spire (600m) is out of bankruptcy and back to finding funding with a stated commitment to the original design. Wolf Point already has it's first of 3 towers under construction at the river confluence the tallest of which is 80 floors and should come in just under 300m. There are two other office towers also in the works at the Chicago river confluence... River point 52fl 730ft and 150 north riverside around 740ft. Realtors have hinted at building a supertall next to trump tower and there were renderings recently for a potential supertall just west of sears tower.

Also if I forget my bias for Chicago for a second I gotta say I don't imagine any city in the world will have a better skyline than New York City anytime soon. There are several places with bigger buildings but they either have a few architectural gems surrounded by a sea of the exact same few designs repeated over and over again like every city China or like in Dubai they have a few really tall buildings that look lonely among all the tiny houses.

The NYC metro area on the other hand will by 2025 have at least 5 different mature and diverse skylines that fit in perfectly with the city around them. Here's a rundown of the 5 skylines of New York City.

Midtown Manhattan Skyline is adding 5 or 6 supertalls, along with the crazy number of buildings coming to Hudson Yards.

Lower Manhattan (financial district) is finishing up the WTC mega project and adding several other condo towers to the mix.

Across the East River Brooklyn heights is becoming a legit skyline on it's own. It just broke it's own tallest building record and will break it 2 more times in the next few years. It also has several mega projects currently under construction.

Just North of there Long Island City will have it's own skyline it's adding about 20 new skyscrapers including a few challenging it's own height record though not breaking it.

On the other side of Manhattan across the Hudson River there are about 15 projects underway to fill in the Long Island City skyline.
Clearly you have no idea about Chinese cities (as evident from the generalization) . All major Chinese cities are unique and different from each other. I suggest you have a look at this thread

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...181902&page=69

sweet-d, little universe liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:43 AM   #1469
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
Clearly you have no idea about Chinese cities (as evident from the generalization) . All major Chinese cities are unique and different from each other. I suggest you have a look at this thread

Not everyone is going to like Chinese skylines, so not sure why you criticize other peoples opinions, just like people don't like how North American skylines drop to low rise buildings rapidly, i personally like that. All a matter of opinion, none of us is right, its not that serious to shove chinese skylines down peoples throat.
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #1470
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiazon View Post
I underestimated Miami's growth! Perhaps Miami will surpass Chicago and LA being USA's #2 WOW.
I think Chicago is still too far ahead for Miami to catch it, but Miami is currently 3rd in the USA behind New York and Chicago, and we are about to put a lock on it.

My photo threads:

Smiazon, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:53 AM   #1471
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:

Don't forget the Jeanne Gang proposal in LSE that's rumored to be taller than Aqua. There are also lots of towers being proposed in River North, which will help balance things out and add more density to that part of the skyline. Then, there's the West Loop which is quite possibly the hottest area of the city at the moment, and is seeing lots of new development which will extend the skyline west. Don't expect 50 story buildings in the WL though due to the area being one of the most NIMBY infested part of the city. I've heard rumors of a couple more big projects but we'll see...

Btw, I still favor a two tower development on the Spire site. Please, don't shoot me, lol.

Last edited by 3521usa; April 4th, 2014 at 01:01 AM.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #1472
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
Not everyone is going to like Chinese skylines, so not sure why you criticize other peoples opinions, just like people don't like how North American skylines drop to low rise buildings rapidly, i personally like that. All a matter of opinion, none of us is right, its not that serious to shove chinese skylines down peoples throat.
Exactly! On this site you're labeled a hater if you don't like certain skylines and I think that's just childish. Granted, there are haters on here and I think many of them are easy to point out. However, you can't go around labeling everyone who doesn't agree with what you think is the best skyline as haters. That's why I rarely comment of here and don't usually share which skylines I hate or dislike. I don't have time for the petty arguing and name calling.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #1473
zilze

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Progress on Brickell CityCentre.

What kind of blue/green glass cladding were used for these buildings? It makes the skyline look business-like, quite impressive.

https://plus.google.com/b/1130693590...57740899/posts

No amount of virus used to remotely attack my computer can silence my voice! >>>>>> Just an African proverb
;) : The blue sky always has a trax in it ......

zilze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #1474
rlw777

Quote:

I'm not suggesting that Chinese cities aren't unique or that they don't have great architecture. On the contrary there are several buildings in China that I think are masterful. I've never been to China so all I have to go on is pictures I've seen and satellite imagery from Google maps. So if you think I am making a generalization why don't you go look at an aerial view of any major city in China and find just one major city that doesn't have a majority of it covered in reused cookie cutter designs... Because I can't find one. I'm not hating on China. I am simply saying that I enjoy the diversity, the history, and the creativity of the New York skyline.
Old April 4th, 2014, 01:32 AM   #1475
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilze View Post
What kind of blue/green glass cladding were used for these buildings? It makes the skyline look business-like, quite impressive.
I'm not sure. A company called Enclos did the the curtain wall for the Wells Fargo Center in the middle background, and the same guy that worked on that did Espirito Santo. 1450 Brickell supposedly has state-of-the-art projectile resistant glass.

My photo threads:

Old April 4th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #1476
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
liking them is preference, but saying all chinese look the same is ignorance, not an opinion.

little universe liked this post
Old April 4th, 2014, 01:41 AM   #1477
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:
I'm not suggesting that Chinese cities aren't unique or that they don't have great architecture. On the contrary there are several buildings in China that I think are masterful. I've never been to China so all I have to go on is pictures I've seen and satellite imagery from Google maps. So if you think I am making a generalization why don't you go look at an aerial view of any major city in China and find just one major city that doesn't have a majority of it covered in reused cookie cutter designs... Because I can't find one. I'm not hating on China. I am simply saying that I enjoy the diversity, the history, and the creativity of the New York skyline.
The same for most American cities, most European cities. Having certain architecture for residential houses/apartments is a feature of every region. Most cities are distinguished by their core area(s). Outside the core areas, every city in each region look almost the same. Shanghai and Guangzhou's core area's look nothing alike. This is a fact. Same for Chicago/New York. We don't need to visit the whole world to grasp this concept, do we?

little universe liked this post
Old April 4th, 2014, 02:07 AM   #1478
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
liking them is preference, but saying all chinese look the same is ignorance, not an opinion.
They do look similar.. filled to the brim with highrise residential blocks followed by some nicer newer skyscrapers..
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 03:46 AM   #1479
rlw777

Quote:
The same for most American cities, most European cities. Having certain architecture for residential houses/apartments is a feature of every region. Most cities are distinguished by their core area(s). Outside the core areas, every city in each region look almost the same. Shanghai and Guangzhou's core area's look nothing alike. This is a fact. Same for Chicago/New York. We don't need to visit the whole world to grasp this concept, do we?
Having a similar style or height is very very different than large groupings of the same architectural design. This is done very occasionally in public housing in cities like NYC like for example around the corner of cherry st. and Montgomery in New York and you might notice it looks like crap and very obviously stands out against the diversity surrounding it.
Old April 4th, 2014, 04:42 AM   #1480
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
I think Chicago is still too far ahead for Miami to catch it, but Miami is currently 3rd in the USA behind New York and Chicago, and we are about to put a lock on it.
I agree but it needs (several) new tallest buildings, I know some are planned but they need to be built

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline