daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:38 AM   #1501
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10815

Awesome photo QuantumX. The canals are a great Miami feature and it looks like that area will be fabulous once it fills in a little more.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:52 AM   #1502
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Awesome photo QuantumX. The canals are a great Miami feature and it looks like that area will be fabulous once it fills in a little more.
I know this is sacrilege, but it's shaping up to look a lot like Chicago along the Miami River.

"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:11 PM   #1503
isaidso
the new republic

Except you can sit out there on your boat in February.

Toronto had inland waterways like that at one point, but we paved them over. One that remains is the Don River. It's a shadow of its former self and we'll never build right up to it because its flood plain. The Humber is another one, but both it and the Don aren't exactly in the downtown. That leaves Keating Channel as our only future option. I have high hopes for it.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; May 3rd, 2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:54 PM   #1504
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Yet another Miami project in the making. That's Brickell CityCentre under construction in the background.

"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old May 3rd, 2014, 01:22 PM   #1505
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

Likes (Received): 412

Miami is getting better. Some features that I would like added to make Miami even better are:
1. Iconic tower
2. More diverse architecture
3. A supertall is a plus.

In North America, I would rank NYC, Chicago and Toronto as my top 3 in that order for all the obvious reasons.. 4th is a battle between Seattle and Vancouver although Seattle may easily win the spot due to Vancouver's monotonous architecture. Miami, however, is definitely somewhere in the top 6-10.

In a global scale, NYC still ranks first for its character, diverse but cohesive appearance. Second is Hong Kong for the scale, height and visual impact..
Old May 3rd, 2014, 01:54 PM   #1506
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbing Reality View Post
Miami is getting better. Some features that I would like added to make Miami even better are:
1. Iconic tower
2. More diverse architecture
3. A supertall is a plus.
Our first supertall will be under construction within the next two years along with other buildings taller than what we currently have now. Another supertall should be starting construction shortly thereafter. Whether they will be iconic remains to be seen.

Quote:
In North America, I would rank NYC, Chicago and Toronto as my top 3 in that order for all the obvious reasons.. 4th is a battle between Seattle and Vancouver although Seattle may easily win the spot due to Vancouver's monotonous architecture. Miami, however, is definitely somewhere in the top 6-10.
Miami is always going to be in the top 5 in North America for me and that's counting Panama City. Seattle and Vancouver to me are always overrated.

Quote:
In a global scale, NYC still ranks first for its character, diverse but cohesive appearance. Second is Hong Kong for the scale, height and visual impact.
Hong Kong's spectacular natural setting really sets it off its spectacular skyline.

My photo threads:

Old May 3rd, 2014, 02:50 PM   #1507
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

Likes (Received): 412

I totally forgot about Panama City.. Yeah, It's skyline is pretty amazing for a city of its size. I like Panama city's skyline but I don't know where it ranks at this point. Actually, there's a similarity between Panama city and Miami..

About Seattle and Vancouver, I think Vancouver can be overrated at times but I disagree about Seattle. I think the density, the well-balanced skyline and the space needle are great factors. What it's lacking is an iconic tower and a supertall, pretty much the same with Toronto.

I always find top 1 and 2 constant while top 3-10 are relative. Even my personal rankings change a lot.. Nice to hear that Miami is getting a supertall. In my opinion, Miami is great without it, but a supertall is a huge plus for the city..
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:26 PM   #1508
The seventh shape
Master of his domain

Likes (Received): 822

Regarding the Asian contenders, nobody seems to be mentioning Beijing and it's being underestimated.

It currently has many tall buildings with outstanding designs, as well as some great non-towers like the olympic stadium. It has the advantage of having great ancient architecture which the likes of Shenzhen and Guangzhou have little or none of; the forbidden city juxtaposes beautifully with the CBD, like how the Kremlin contrasts with the Moscow City cluster. There is currently a supertall going up there with a fine design, which might set the bar higher for future projects, and demand for office space is likely to keep high. Quality of design in Beijing is second to non in China. It's one to watch out for.
The seventh shape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:51 PM   #1509
lowenmeister

Likes (Received): 3420

Bit further into the future then 2025
Upwards in the Australia forum just posted these striking visions of a 2050 Sydney
These images were made by Bates smarts,a large Australian architecture firm.
Sydney risks getting behind Melbourne in prestige,population and economic power by 2050,maybe a project of this magnitude could help Sydney protect its position as Australia most important city? .

Dmerdude liked this post

Last edited by lowenmeister; May 3rd, 2014 at 05:15 PM.
lowenmeister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:45 PM   #1510
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

I think it's safe to say, Shenzhen already has one of the best skyline in the world

(photo credit- 自由高飞 )
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:55 PM   #1511
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Seattle and Vancouver to me are always overrated.
They're like Sydney and London. They look great, but don't have the scale or height to make the cut.

Old May 4th, 2014, 12:09 AM   #1512
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:
They're like Sydney and London. They look great, but don't have the scale or height to make the cut.
I don't think London looks that great. Sydney skyline is beautiful though, maybe I'm little biased?
Old May 4th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #1513
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
Sydney skyline is beautiful though, maybe I'm little biased?
I'm partial to Melbourne along with Isaidso. The Seattle skyline just isn't big enough for me.

My photo threads:

isaidso, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 4th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #1514
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4018

Quote:
And what's the scale and height to make the cut??

Just wondering as London already has taller habitable building then Toronto and Miami and regarding scale has over 230 towers planned, approved and u/c. And that's within 15 years of high-risk construction.

Did you know when the London eye was built it was the 4th tallest structure in London. It is now 22nd. By end of this year it'll be just inside the top 30 and by 2016 outside the top 50. Just saying.
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #1515
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
Just wondering as London already has taller habitable building then Toronto and Miami and regarding scale has over 230 towers planned, approved and u/c. And that's within 15 years of high-risk construction.
Don't drag Miami into this. Nobody compared Miami to London, but only other U.S. skylines.

My photo threads:

Old May 4th, 2014, 02:13 AM   #1516
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Tianjin Xiangluowan Business District skyline U/C photos

Last edited by Faisal Shourov; May 4th, 2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old May 4th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #1517
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

More Tianjin Xiangluan Business District photos

Old May 4th, 2014, 03:15 AM   #1518
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Tianjin Xiangluowan Business Districts U/C photos (end)

Old May 4th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #1519
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

All of this is supposedly under construction? I only saw one or two cranes. This looks like you're just spamming skyline pics.

My photo threads:

Old May 4th, 2014, 05:53 AM   #1520
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:
All of this is supposedly under construction? I only saw one or two cranes. This looks like you're just spamming skyline pics.
Yes, all of them are U/C. There's a thread about this project on SSC http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...144467&page=25

Tags
skyline