daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2014, 06:06 AM   #1521
Raffo

Likes (Received): 1822

That Tainjin looks depressing

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2014, 06:10 AM   #1522
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffo View Post
That Tainjin looks depressing
It doesn't look depressing to me. It just looks as though it's already built and shouldn't be on this thread.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 06:16 AM   #1523
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
It doesn't look depressing to me. It just looks as though it's already built and shouldn't be on this thread.
I wouldn't have posted photos if it wasn't there in the supertall U/C forum. They're building the whole business district in phases. I don't know much about the details, if you're interested you could check the thread out.
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #1524
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
I wouldn't have posted photos if it wasn't there in the supertall U/C forum. They're building the whole business district in phases. I don't know much about the details, if you're interested you could check the thread out.
A lot of what's on that thread shouldn't even be in the supertall U/C forum. Anyway, for the sake of discussion, where on this list do you think Tianjin will be in 2025? It seems to be the next big Chinese skyline after those in the top 10 already.

http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old May 4th, 2014, 06:34 AM   #1525
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:
A lot of what's on that thread shouldn't even be in the supertall U/C forum. Anyway, for the sake of discussion, where on this list do you think Tianjin will be in 2025? It seems to be the next big Chinese skyline after those in the top 10 already.

Tianjin will certainly be in the top 10 by 2025, ahead of Chonqging. However, Tianjin doesn't have a single CBD, and it's CBD has far away from each other. So far that one CBD can't be seen from the tallest building of the other CBD. So you can say that Tianjin will have multiple skylines which will be separate.

Tianjin has lots of 200m+ buildings U/C but they're extremely slow. By 2025 all the individual projects in Tianjin is expected to be completed

I will now share photos of Yujiapu Business District
Old May 4th, 2014, 06:50 AM   #1526
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Tianjin Yujiapu Business District

Old May 4th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #1527
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Tianjin Yujiapu Business District U/C photos

little universe, desertpunk liked this post
Old May 4th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #1528
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Can you get us an overall skyline shot of all this? It's difficult to put it all into perspective in bits and pieces like this.

My photo threads:

Old May 4th, 2014, 07:07 AM   #1529
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Last edited by Faisal Shourov; May 4th, 2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old May 4th, 2014, 07:09 AM   #1530
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Can you find any aerials of all this?

My photo threads:

Old May 4th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #1531
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:
Can you find any aerials of all this?
I will try my best
Old May 4th, 2014, 08:44 AM   #1532
Zack Fair

Likes (Received): 755

These are some of the projects currently U/C in the Entertainment District in Toronto (west of the CBD). I can count six cranes just in this shot.

Pic by Soho at urbantoronto.ca

Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 09:11 AM   #1533
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Tianjin Yujiapu Business District U/C photos continued

Old May 4th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #1534
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

@QuantumX: Here you go, the kind of shots you wanted.

Tianjin Yujiapu Business District

koolio, chinesehorse, psychedelic liked this post

Last edited by Faisal Shourov; May 4th, 2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old May 4th, 2014, 09:39 AM   #1535
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

They are not necessarily the kind of pics I wanted. It's just that the forum is better served and the city is better served this way.

My photo threads:

WingWing, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 4th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #1536
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
And what's the scale and height to make the cut??
For a 'Best Of' list 500 buildings over 50m, 200 buildings over 100m, and 20 buildings over 200m would be a good starting point. Height and quantity aren't everything, but a skyline needs a bare minimum scale to warrant consideration imo.

London's certainly on a building boom, but it's also chasing moving targets. Lots of cities ahead of it are building just as much; many are building more. London is around the 54th largest skyline in the world, but I have it around 33rd today based on the quality of the architecture and other considerations. 2025? London will surely move up, but perhaps only into my top 25.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; May 5th, 2014 at 04:08 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 09:55 AM   #1537
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
Sydney skyline is beautiful though, maybe I'm little biased?
It is very beautiful, but it's far too small for a World's best list. Same goes for Vancouver.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

WingWing liked this post
Old May 4th, 2014, 10:06 AM   #1538
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
For a 'Best Of' list 500 buildings over 50m, 200 buildings over 100m, and 20 buildings over 200m would be a good starting point. Height and quantity aren't everything, but a skyline needs a bare minimum scale to warrant consideration imo.

London's certainly on a building boom, but it's also chasing moving targets. Lots of cities ahead of it are building just as much; many are building more. London is around the 54th largest skyline in the world, but I have it around 33rd today based on the quality of the architecture and other considerations. 2025? London will surely move up, but perhaps only into the top 25.
This source places London at 57, Toronto at 16, and Miami at 28. The here and now is what you were talking about, not what could be. Plus, one habitable supertall does not mean much when another city has several more over 200m.

My photo threads:

Old May 4th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #1539
isaidso
the new republic

I stand corrected. London has the 57th largest skyline not the 54th largest. Even Calgary (53rd) is ahead of London in skyline scale at this point. Regarding London's Shard, it's official height may be 306m vs. 298m for First Canadian Place but it's a classic case of:

Putting them side by side it's easy to tell that FCP is the far larger building. The Shard's highest floor is only at 244m.

Quote:
Plus, one habitable supertall does not mean much when another city has several more over 200m.
And a sea of towers that dwarfs London in every other category. Toronto also has more U/C and proposed so the gap is going to widen not diminish. Miami? I'm hoping it can move up a few spots and into the top 25 in 2-3 years. It would be great having 5 north American cities in there. In some respects, Miami is still in the top 25. If you add Sunny Isles to the total, metro Miami is in 23rd spot.

Last edited by isaidso; May 4th, 2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old May 5th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #1540
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

I do consider the shard a supertall since it has a crown and not a spire but in terms of skyline impact the two tallest building in Toronto probably have it beat or are at least even.

I know numbers say Toronto will have more 100+ meter buildings than Chicago but Chicago's skyline does look a lot bigger, CN tower aside the tallest building in Toronto is about as high as 311 building next to Sears, plus the next three tallests are in the 350m range. Obviously height isn't everything but I don't think Toronto will overtake Chicago that soon, if ever.

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline