daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2014, 07:52 AM   #1541
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I do consider the shard a supertall since it has a crown and not a spire but in terms of skyline impact the two tallest building in Toronto probably have it beat or are at least even.
I consider the Shard a super tall as well, but it's a bit much to argue that London has Toronto beat in this one area because of a technicality. FCP is a bigger building, has an official height only 10m shorter, and Toronto also has the CN Tower. Technically the CN Tower isn't a building, but really now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I know numbers say Toronto will have more 100+ meter buildings than Chicago but Chicago's skyline does look a lot bigger, CN tower aside the tallest building in Toronto is about as high as 311 building next to Sears, plus the next three tallests are in the 350m range. Obviously height isn't everything but I don't think Toronto will overtake Chicago that soon, if ever.
Chicago's skyline looks bigger because currently it is bigger.

U/C? Proposed? These things don't exist yet. They're in the process of being built or waiting approval so they can be built. Buildings U/C typically take 2-3 years to build. Buildings at the proposal stage can typically take up to 5-6 years till the actual building appears in the skyline. Built, U/C, + Proposed is a good indicator of what will exist around 2019. That might not be soon in your books, but it's not that far off imo.

Maybe this will clarify things. Toronto's skyline could more than double in size over the next 5-6 years.

# of 100m+ Buildings Built
Chicago 302
Toronto 180

# of 100m Buildings U/C + Proposed
Chicago 40
Toronto 195

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; May 5th, 2014 at 09:54 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2014, 08:55 AM   #1542
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Great rendering of the whole project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #1543
isaidso
the new republic

That Marriott looks awesome. I'd love to see something similar for Toronto's Eaton Hotel reno.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old May 5th, 2014, 10:58 PM   #1544
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

When they finish the full buildout of Yujiapu it will be spectacular, definitely top 5. Unfortunately it's at least 15-20 years away. First phase is a good start but it has gotten bogged down.

For me, the most improved will be Chongqing, Shenzhen, and Guiyang.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #1545
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
When they finish the full buildout of Yujiapu it will be spectacular, definitely top 5. Unfortunately it's at least 15-20 years away. First phase is a good start but it has gotten bogged down.

For me, the most improved will be Chongqing, Shenzhen, and Guiyang.
Seeing this name 'Guiyang' for the first time in my life. Never knew it existed, or maybe didn't notice. What's special about it?
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #1546
isaidso
the new republic

I hadn't heard of Guiyang until last year. It's #72 on that link QuantumX posted. I'll post the link again: http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

Old May 6th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #1547
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16995

Proposed Hudson Exchange Project in Jersey City - 12 High Rises

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #1548
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
Seeing this name 'Guiyang' for the first time in my life. Never knew it existed, or maybe didn't notice. What's special about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I hadn't heard of Guiyang until last year. It's #72 on that link QuantumX posted. I'll post the link again: http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1518614

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1479306

Mountainous city in southwest China similar to Chongqing and undergoing a similarly radical expansion. The new district is easily 4-6x bigger than the old city. Due to the topography I think they can really create something special. However, it is still a relatively small and poor city.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 07:51 PM   #1549
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Proposed Hudson Exchange Project in Jersey City - 12 High Rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Great rendering of the whole project!
With all due respect but this is not a Projects forum, So will you please stop posting renders of projects of Miami and any other city....

if you feel the urge to post these renders then open a Thread for Large complexes whatever

BrickellResidence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #1550
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22547

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickellresidence View Post
With all due respect but this is not a Projects forum, So will you please stop posting renders of projects of Miami and any other city....

if you feel the urge to post these renders then open a Thread for Large complexes whatever
it's completely relevant though.

QuantumX, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #1551
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:

What else are we supposed to post on a thread titled Best Skylines of 2025 if not renderings of projects planned for a city that can potentially make it one of the best of 2025 or projects currently under construction?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

JuanPaulo, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:53 AM   #1552
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:

What would people post in a thread about future skyline other than renders and current photos of construction?

QuantumX liked this post
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:49 AM   #1553
chinesehorse

Likes (Received): 15

I've realized that for many larger Chinese cities such as Shanghai to retain large skylines in the future, they'll have to tear down apartment blocks sprawling all over the place that were only built 5-10 years ago!
chinesehorse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:53 AM   #1554
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
What would people post in a thread about future skyline other than renders and current photos of construction?
Empty land around CBDs, rising population, economy and demand for office and apartments
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:57 AM   #1555
chinesehorse

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowenmeister View Post
Bit further into the future then 2025
Upwards in the Australia forum just posted these striking visions of a 2050 Sydney
These images were made by Bates smarts,a large Australian architecture firm.
Sydney risks getting behind Melbourne in prestige,population and economic power by 2050,maybe a project of this magnitude could help Sydney protect its position as Australia most important city? .

Looks like a mashup of tons of Shanghai Towers to me!
chinesehorse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:15 AM   #1556
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
Empty land around CBDs, rising population, economy and demand for office and apartments
This gives us no idea of what a future skyline might look like though.

My photo threads:

Old May 8th, 2014, 07:12 AM   #1557
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Quote:
Fair enough
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #1558
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Quote:
Not all cities with all those criteria can/wants to build vertically though.. But of course they are important for "skyline cities" as well.

but yeah, we can also discuss those.. why don't you start it?
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #1559
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

@Wingwing.. I think I will start with what you want

just now from Bloomberg..
Chinese Hubs Rise in Oxford Economics 2030 GDP Ranking: Cities
Quote:
Cities in China from Shanghai to Chongqing will grow the most among global metropolises in the next 16 years, according to a study by Oxford Economics Ltd.

By 2030, nine Chinese cities will join the world’s 50 biggest municipal economies, while eight in Europe will drop off the list, showed the paper released this week by the Oxford, England-based advisory firm. Of the 10 forecast to grow the most by gross domestic product, seven are in China, including Tianjin, Beijing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Suzhou.

Ranked by the size of their economy, the biggest metropolitan area in the world in 2030 will be Tokyo, New York, Los Angeles, London and Shanghai, Oxford’s report forecast.
GDP predictions could give us an idea.. but not directly proportional to Skyline..
Los Angeles will be 3rd economically.. but skyline wise... naaaahhh....

Good News for London though.. it looks like it will keep on growing.
Old May 8th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #1560
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6570

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
What else are we supposed to post on a thread titled Best Skylines of 2025 if not renderings of projects planned for a city that can potentially make it one of the best of 2025 or projects currently under construction?
posting a render of ONE or TWO projects won't help not even posting updates of the construction..... Posting render of all the projects and the skyline included like that one of Sydney a few post above is appropriate for this thread... ok? Would you like me Posting renders one project separately so you can imagine Mexico City's future skyline instead of posting ONE render of the skyline showing all the skyscrapers that are currently U/C or proposed that shows Mexico city's future skyline....

BrickellResidence no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline