daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #141
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Miami is exploding right now. It's hard to know how it will all turn out but if every proposed, revived or U/C new development gets completed, the skyline will be totally transformed...yet again.

image hosted on flickr

Miami by YYGomez, on Flickr
Too bad most of them are ugly towers.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #142
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
Too bad most of them are ugly towers.
That was in the last decade! The boom continues!
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #143
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22535

Miami's CBD could use some taller towers.

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #144
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Miami's CBD could use some taller towers.
A mixed-use supertall at 1,010 feet is in the works for the CBD. Our height limit is 1,010 feet. An 851-feet tall condo and the 950-feet tall Banco Santander tower is in the works for the Brickell Financial District. This is what we have planned so far that will be taller than what we currently have.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; July 13th, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old July 13th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #145
Yuree

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
I don't think Asian cities (esp in China) even have skylines, they just have a collection of disjointed buildings ... so I'd drop a couple dozen Chinese cities from consideration ... including Shenzhen and Shanghai.

And even if they did have one by some weird defintion, its too polluted to see anything most of the time anyway.

I don't count Hong Kong as China btw. Hong Kong has an amazing skyline.

Giants
Japan~China

Asian Tigers

Singapore~South Korea~Taiwan~Hong Kong

Tiger Cub Economies

Malaysia~Philippines~Indonesia~Thailand
Yuree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #146
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Likes (Received): 94

It's true that most of the new chinese cities look a bit the same.
Old July 14th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #147
Labtec
Czarcastic

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk327 View Post
Give it a break. So there's "not enough space between buildings to breath air and look at the surroundings properly" in American cities and there is in all the Asian ones that you keep supporting throughout the whole thread. Have you realised that you contradict yourself? You (and others) previously mentioned how density is a factor that makes a skyline. Let me tell you something, it's not, so cut the drama. Asian cities (esp Chinese) do not and will not have the character that American and Europeans cities have no matter how many supertalls they construct. They will just all look the same, end of story.
Narrow minded point of view. Beijing and the Forbidden city has no character? You should also try visiting Tokyo some time.

Labtec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #148
GIGIGAGA

Likes (Received): 130

Beijing is the city that owns 6 world cultural heritages(Forbidden city, great wall, heaven temple, Ming and Qing tombs, Zhoukoudian, summer temple.), which city has more? besides, the bird nest, water cube, CCTV, national theatre are all world-class buildings? How can you say that it has no characters? Not even including the booming constructions. Even not considering the 'characters', it can be easily recognized,

image hosted on flickr

Night of CBD by Offthewind_Lee, on Flickr

In fact, Asia has the most variable culture, history and architectures in the world. From east Asia, to southeast, to middle east, to west Asia, the difference is obvious and
rich. You can not tell one city easily from another because you are not familiar with them.
In my opinion, the best skylines by 2025 can be at least half-dominated by Asian cities.
Hongkong, Shanghai, Tokyo, Dubai, Singapore and other booming cities, like Shenzhen, Bangkok, Abu Dhabi, Seoul, Guangzhou, Chongqing, Manila can be in.
Old July 14th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #149
null
Mind Reader

Likes (Received): 1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
I don't think Asian cities (esp in China) even have skylines, they just have a collection of disjointed buildings ... so I'd drop a couple dozen Chinese cities from consideration ... including Shenzhen and Shanghai.

And even if they did have one by some weird defintion, its too polluted to see anything most of the time anyway.

I don't count Hong Kong as China btw. Hong Kong has an amazing skyline.
Firestarter...

Yuree liked this post
null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #150
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk327 View Post
Give it a break. So there's "not enough space between buildings to breath air and look at the surroundings properly" in American cities and there is in all the Asian ones that you keep supporting throughout the whole thread. Have you realised that you contradict yourself? You (and others) previously mentioned how density is a factor that makes a skyline. Let me tell you something, it's not, so cut the drama. Asian cities (esp Chinese) do not and will not have the character that American and Europeans cities have no matter how many supertalls they construct. They will just all look the same, end of story.
North American and European cities look very similar. Most American skylines are full of ugly, old, concrete boxes and European skylines (?) look like medieval villages. It's funny how some people judge city skylines by their economy

Last edited by Faisal Shourov; July 14th, 2013 at 07:09 AM.
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #151
little universe
A Living Sculpture

@ Yuree, Labtec, GIGIGAGA, null & Faisal Shourov:

Guys, don't feed the tunnel-visioned sick trolls! Let them self-entertaining...

I love Beijing TiananMen, Rising Sun upon it.
I love Beijing ChaoyangMen, Rising Skyscrapers beyond it!

Last edited by little universe; July 14th, 2013 at 07:36 AM.
little universe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #152
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
North American and European cities look very similar. Most American skylines are full of ugly, old, concrete boxes and European skylines (?) look like medieval villages. It's funny how some people judge city skylines by their economy
You should visit Miami the next time you're in the U.S. Most of the skyline was built in the 21st century, and nothing over 500 feet tall was built before 1983. The longer you wait to visit, the more you will see. There is more skyline under construction even as we speak. If you think it's ugly now even though it's very new, just wait a while.

image hosted on flickr

My photo threads:

Old July 14th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #153
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
You should visit Miami the next time you're in the U.S. Most of the skyline was built in the 21st century, and nothing over 500 feet tall was built before 1983. The longer you wait to visit, the more you will see. There is more skyline under construction even as we speak. If you think it's ugly now even though it's very new, just wait a while.

image hosted on flickr
Good to see Miami is modernizing. It needs lots of 200 meter skyscrapers and a few glass supertalls in and around the centre of CBD to take shape and look glossy at night

Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #154
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
Good to see Miami is modernizing. It needs lots of 200 meter skyscrapers and a few glass supertalls in and around the centre of CBD to take shape and look glossy at night
All of this is on the way! Three supertalls were approved in and around the CBD. We've got that glossy look at night going already!

My photo threads:

Old July 14th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #155
jonathaninATX

Likes (Received): 2570

How about Dallas, or Houston, both cities are about to experience a huge boom. Houston will be transforming it's skyline once again.

Dallas
image hosted on flickr

Dallas Skyline Panorama from East of Downtown by http://www.flickr.com/people/robgreebonphotography/

Houston
image hosted on flickr

Houston Skyline by http://www.flickr.com/people/kellymary2307/

desertpunk, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
jonathaninATX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #156
ali al-smadi

Likes (Received): 3

I live in Dallas, and I gotta say, it makes me proud to see it mentioned in a thread about best skylines. The skyline here look really nice, especially the new look with omni hotel.
When you said "are about to experience a boom", what did you mean? Are there any under construction or approved skyscrapers or high rises, because I would love to see a supertall or something?
ali al-smadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #157
NNshenzhen

Likes (Received): 53

Re. couple of those trolls saying how Asian cities have no skylines, probably they never stepped out of their provincial US places - after all, huge chunk of Americans doesn't even have passports, so how would they know how things really look outside? And btw, I'm an European who has repeatedly visited most large US cities, and know New York, Chicago, SF and few others quite well.

I'll give you example of the right vantage points if you want to have a single 'skyline' view in some of those cities:

Shenzhen - crossing the Shenzhen Bay Bridge from HK, you can see the whole center as an over 20 mile long single uninterrupted skyline, nearly twice the length of the Manhattan one. The superclear weather during last 2 weeks allowed one to see as far as Macau towers on one side, and whole of Shenzhen on the other

Guangzhou - view from southwest direction coming from Foshan, or on the high speed train between North and South stations, you can see all of the central towers including those in old downtown and Zhujiang New City in one line literally... amazing...

Shanghai - go to top of Hilton hotel, exec lounge, in Huashan Lu, even though only 38th floor, you see combined Puxi and Pudong skylies as one. Other nearby buildings like Wheelock or Kerry Centre give you the same...

Nanjing - take the train from the south to the old central train station, as the train comes close towards the station and the lake, the whole centre looks like an oversized skyline over New York Central Park.

Chongqing - any view you wish.. you got basically THREE Manhattans joining at the river confluence

and more...

Yes, all of these skylines need major fixing, for instance big chunks of Shenzhen Luohu/Lowu and Guangzhou's old CBD should have their 'office commieblocks' totally demolished and replaced with art deco or post modern stuff, 3x as tall of course, if you ask me. But then, look at NYC and Chicago... lotsa fixing needed there too.
NNshenzhen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 10:27 AM   #158
CarltonHill
Kim Domingo

Likes (Received): 1576

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK81 View Post

Asian skylines will probably dominate in the future as they do now.
So true.

Well, probably there'll be 1 to 3 spots in the 2025 Top10 for Western and OZ cities. the rest of the top10 would come from ASIA.

okay the top10 would probably be like this one:

1. Shanghai
2. Hong Kong

3. New York
4. Shenzhen
5. Bangkok

6. Chicago
7. Guangzhou
8. Manila
9. Dubai

10. Toronto

top15

11. Kuala Lumpur
12. Chongqing
13. Nanjing
14. Jakarta
15. Doha

Old July 14th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #159
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |Ķ┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

^ Although I love Shanghai (in fact I have it as #2 on my list), I just don't see it as #1 by 2025. The city needs more development, i.e. more supertalls. Other Chinese cities are building like crazy, yet Shanghai seems to lag behind (not talking about the countless residential highrises which are being built to accomodate the newcomers).
But hey, it's a good sign too. As with Hong Kong, Shanghai is gradually becoming a 'mature' city. The focus is / will be more on culture, nighlife, environment, social balance etc.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #160
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

Hmmm that Dallas skyline is great.
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline