daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #1641
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10815

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
I doubt London will be in the world top 10 by 2025. I would be surprised if it makes it to the top 25. I find a lot of our English mates tend to overestimate their city when it comes to skyline.
And other areas too. I find some Brits have a world view that can be boiled down to this: London and New York. Likewise, they assume it's just a matter of time before London takes its rightful place next to New York as one of the greatest skylines on the planet. They have a blind spot for what's going on in the rest of the world and/or assume that other cities couldn't possibly match or beat them in something. Their media perpetuates that belief.

You see it on SSC all the time. They'll say stuff like 'London is the best at' or 'no other city does it like London' constantly. It makes you wonder if they've been anywhere else. Perhaps it's ugly imperial baggage from Empire days still manifesting itself in their culture? Who knows.

London may be an extremely cosmopolitan place, but ironically this trait comes off as very provincial. There's a big world out there London... go have a look.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; May 31st, 2014 at 01:43 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #1642
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

lol slammed..
Old May 30th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #1643
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
I doubt London will be in the world top 10 by 2025. I would be surprised if it makes it to the top 25. I find a lot of our English mates tend to overestimate their city when it comes to skyline.

I agree, London's skyline is nice but height/size wise and even architecturally it would be second tier here in North America and definitely Asia.

It is a fantastic city though and skylines aren't everything.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 12:36 AM   #1644
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
And other areas too. I find some Brits have a world view that can be boiled down to this: London and New York. Likewise, they assume it's just a matter of time before London takes its rightful place next to New York as one of the greatest skylines on the planet. They have a blind spot for what's going on in the rest of the world and/or assume that other cities couldn't possibly match or beat them in something. Their media perpetuates that belief.

You see it on SSC all the time. They'll say stuff like 'London is the best at' or 'no other city does it like London' constantly. It makes you wonder if they've been anywhere else. Perhaps it's ugly imperial baggage from Empire days still manifesting itself in their culture? Who knows.

London may be an extremely cosmopolitan place, but this trait ironically comes off as very provincial. There's a big world out there London... go have a look.
Very nicely put. Having pride in country's development is admirable and sign of patriotism. However being ignorant of other places because of superiority complex is truly despicable.

Top 10 skyline arguments will always be subjective to some extent, but there are some qualifications to be a contender. Unfortunately London doesn't pass all of those criteria

I also agree with you what you said earlier. North Americans will say their architecture is best, Europeans will say theirs is best, Asian will say their architecture...so architecture argument is indeed subjective. But density, height, and volume of buildings are objective...any skyline to be part of top 10 must pass all of these criterias to some extent.
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 12:44 AM   #1645
MAGPTY

Likes (Received): 656

PANAMA CITY, PANAMA 2014

MAGPTY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 01:09 AM   #1646
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
Very nicely put. Having pride in country's development is admirable and sign of patriotism. However being ignorant of other places because of superiority complex is truly despicable.

Top 10 skyline arguments will always be subjective to some extent, but there are some qualifications to be a contender. Unfortunately London doesn't pass all of those criteria

I also agree with you what you said earlier. North Americans will say their architecture is best, Europeans will say theirs is best, Asian will say their architecture...so architecture argument is indeed subjective. But density, height, and volume of buildings are objective...any skyline to be part of top 10 must pass all of these criterias to some extent.

Exactly, I think when a lot of people say "best" they mean biggest or tallest in which case Hong Kong, New York, Shanghai, Chicago and Dubai are the undisputed champions because size is fact not opinion... with Guangzhou and Shenzhen catching up too of course.

JuanPaulo, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 31st, 2014, 01:40 AM   #1647
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

[QUOTE=WingWing;114436828]But after looking at the render, london has nth to offer and skyline area as comparable as today's singapore or Chicago in term of size and even height

Singapore doesn't have much height, it has great design though. I think London could pass it, but London needs more buildings like the Shard. Chicago is on a different level then both. It has a pretty massive skyline, and is quickly expanding, and has several buildings in the supertall range in the works, including a 600m proposal and the Chicago spire.

Shenzen seems like it will break the top 5 by 2025.

Does HK have any big proposals right now ?

New York's an interesting one for me. The city is on a massive boom, but I don't like a lot of what is getting built. Buildings like 432 place are hurting the skyline, and almost making it seem messy. It just doesn't work with it's surroundings, and really isn't that inspiring. I want to see more buildings like Tower Verre

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; May 31st, 2014 at 01:55 AM.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:14 AM   #1648
Jay

Quote:
But after looking at the render, london has nth to offer and skyline area as comparable as today's singapore or Chicago in term of size and even height
Um... did you just compare Chicago to London or Singapore size-wise? That was a joke right?

Chicago has one of the biggest, tallest skylines in the world (Probably top 5 or maybe 10 at worst)

KlausDiggy, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 31st, 2014, 04:34 AM   #1649
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
I want to see more buildings like Tower Verre
It's easily one of the best designs ever. I'd uncork the bubbly if one like that got built here.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

JuanPaulo liked this post
Old May 31st, 2014, 05:17 AM   #1650
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31809

Quote:
It's easily one of the best designs ever. I'd uncork the bubbly if one like that got built here.
I agree. It is a marvel of a design we only see once every few decades. A true icon. The Empire State of the 2000's. Shame the developer was forced to reduce its height. Sometimes I think if Tower Verre was proposed today for the first time at the original height it would pass with flying colors.... that in the wake of all the other supertalls being built on the 57th st corridor. Almost like the NIMBY's have bigger fish to fry these days....

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 05:44 AM   #1651
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Um... did you just compare Chicago to London or Singapore size-wise? That was a joke right?

Chicago has one of the biggest, tallest skylines in the world (Probably top 5 or maybe 10 at worst)
Haha, that wasn't me, it was WingWing,and I love the architectural quality of Chicago, so if the Spire gets built, which is imo, one of the most beautiful towers ever conceived, it would move to 1. or 2. on my list.

Like I said earlier, NYC has every city beat according to number. But it feels to much like a mish mash of towers sometimes. Through the beginning of the last century NYC built the most beautiful buildings with Chrysler,ESB etc.. all masterpieces, then the later decades came and a lot of buildings were built that hurt the skyline, specifically the 60's and later. And now, there are these supertall buildings that dwarf the rest of the skyline, especially the beautiful art deco buildings like Chrysler. They just don't fit. The architectural style of buildings like Tower Verre fits in well with buildings like Chrysler, and really improves the skyline, while 432 Park, and some other buildings are ruining it.

@ ISaidSo - Verre is gorgeous, couldn't they just super size that and put it in 432 Park's place! Verre is one of my favorites, along with the Spire, and maybe 2 WTC. I also loved the older version of that Mirvish Gehry building going up in Toronto, what happened to the design where the base of the 3 buildings crumpled together man? it would have looked insane finished.

Also, the Jeanne Gang building in the works for Chicago, super excited about that, someone on SSP has seen the design, and it sounds pretty amazing. and her designs are always fantastic, think Aqua in Chicago, that was her design

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; May 31st, 2014 at 06:15 AM.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 08:13 AM   #1652
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Size wise probably singapore has more density? Cos i asked in the Mr Wiki, he state that Singapore ranked 4 with most highrises

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...rise_buildings

But of course in term of height chicago does better than Singapore. Somehow chicago skyline are more concentrated into one area rather than singapore that separated into 3-4 areas.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...st_skyscrapers
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 08:43 AM   #1653
isaidso
the new republic

It's often an absurd process. If you want 370m, propose it at 450m so when you get a height reduction to 370m the NIMBYs can pat themselves on the back and feel like they accomplished something.

WingWing liked this post
Old May 31st, 2014, 08:49 AM   #1654
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
It's often an absurd process. If you want 370m, propose it at 450m so when you get a height reduction to 370m the NIMBYs can pat themselves on the back and feel like they accomplished something.
Tell me about it. Miami Beach could have looked like Australia's Gold Coast had it not been for the NIMBYs. That was a benefit to downtown Miami though. The boom on the beach then started to move across the bay.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 08:51 AM   #1655
isaidso
the new republic

There are a lot of petty selfish people in the world who think they the city belongs to them alone. If they don't like something, they think they have the right to deny it to everyone else too. Inexplicably these people are given a voice.

Quote:
@ ISaidSo - Verre is gorgeous, couldn't they just super size that and put it in 432 Park's place! Verre is one of my favorites, along with the Spire, and maybe 2 WTC. I also loved the older version of that Mirvish Gehry building going up in Toronto, what happened to the design where the base of the 3 buildings crumpled together man? it would have looked insane finished.
I loved those Mirvish-Gehry triplets as well. City planners weren't willing to put the rule book aside regardless of what the potential benefit to Toronto was. A theatre of no architectural consequence would need to come down as well as 3 warehouse buildings. Taking into account what would have replaced them, it looked like a no-brainer, but city planners wouldn't budge.

Mirvish-Gehry were forced to work with these people if they were to get approval. In my opinion, it's idiotic to follow a rule book when common sense dictates that you make an exception but that's unfortunately how things work here. Case in point: our much celebrated TD Centre would have been turned down if proposed today. Mirvish-Gehry is the first significant casualty of these regulations, but I hope the last.

We need to amend these regulations so that projects are analyzed on a case by case basis.

Last edited by isaidso; May 31st, 2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old May 31st, 2014, 09:35 AM   #1656
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
There are a lot of petty selfish people in the world who think they the city belongs to them alone. If they don't like something, they think they have the right to deny it to everyone else too. Inexplicably these people are given a voice.
The Transamerica Pyramid was originally designed to be 1,150 feet, but it would block NIMBY's precious views of the bay. It was a waste of the design because it was perfect for a very tall building in an earthquake prone region.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 02:21 PM   #1657
AlexNYC
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:

New York's an interesting one for me. The city is on a massive boom, but I don't like a lot of what is getting built. Buildings like 432 place are hurting the skyline, and almost making it seem messy. It just doesn't work with it's surroundings, and really isn't that inspiring. I want to see more buildings like Tower Verre
New York's skyline has always been kind of messy. And I wouldn't worry too much about 432 PA because 1. Midown is one of the few places in the world which can absorb a tower of this height and 2. other towers of similar size are on the way as we speak.
I'm not a huge fan of 432 PA myself, but it's a solid, minimalist design. No tacky crown and / or cladding. Towers like 0ne57, 111W57th and Tower Verre will make sure that Midtown gets its gems it deserves.

WingWing liked this post
AlexNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:47 PM   #1658
devastasian

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:

London may be an extremely cosmopolitan place, but ironically this trait comes off as very provincial. There's a big world out there London... go have a look.
Though I agree somewhat with your original post directly above this quote - somewhere in the top 20 for London sounds about right - but come on... what you've written right here is bs. It may be your opinion, but it's ignorant.

And on a side note from what I've read whenever I see someone mention anything in the slightest bit positive about London, you ram you unwanted opinion down their throat. Maybe you're the one with the 'Colonial' hangup. London has an iconic and instantly recognisable skyline like it or not, and it's getting denser, taller and bigger with every year. Good luck to it I say.

Last edited by devastasian; May 31st, 2014 at 03:57 PM.
devastasian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 04:06 PM   #1659
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6744

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastasian View Post
Though I agree somewhat with your original post directly above this quote - somewhere in the top 20 for London sounds about right - but come on... what you've written right here is bs. It may be your opinion, but it's ignorant.

And on a side note from what I've read whenever I see someone mention anything in the slightest bit positive about London, you ram you unwanted opinion down their throat. Maybe you're the one with the 'Colonial' hangup. London has an iconic and instantly recognisable skyline like it or not.
Well from what i know chinese cities like shanghai, guangzhou, shenzhen, chongqing, HK and beijing already taking up 6 spot from top 20 in future.

Remaining 14, america will take up 3 which is chicago, NY and miami

Remaining 11 middle east asia and south which will be one from india which is mumbai and other one dubai

Remaining 9 will be the fight of the rest of the world. Probably in the list will be. Jakarta, KL, Seoul, Tokyo, Singapore, Sydney, Bangkok, Manila and Panama city.

Will London stands a fight? Given the current projects and plans, I would say london might have little difficulties in breaking into top 20.

True enough that London has iconic buildings that blend well with the skylines but density and height remain a question for London. Maybe in 2025 London will be the same as Singapore in today in term of density and height.

I would say that London are much more recognized from the skyline but it will still lack impressive as chinese and usa cities
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 06:00 PM   #1660
totaleclipse1985

Likes (Received): 1911

And don't forget the upcoming Chinese contenders that might very well beat cities like Chicago or Miami in 2025. What about Nanjing, Nanning, Wuhan, Tijanjin, Shenyang... all of them have more than 10 supertalls in the pipeline and many more 200m+ buildings. I think the top 20 of 2025 is very hard to answer. But I think that Shenzhen, HK, NYC and Dubai will be in there.

WingWing liked this post
totaleclipse1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline