daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #1721
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
some cities roads not straight and had slight bend as there is buildings blocking the way. just like pic above shown
But aren't buildings built along roads rather than blocking them?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #1722
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6737

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
But aren't buildings built along roads rather than blocking them?
I think you dont get my meaning

I was referring to the town planning and some town planning produces straight line buildings in a grid system.

But some plan differently which resulted in curvy roads and bends. This resulted in not a neat lots for buildings and from aerial view it will look messy. Buildings are not located adjacent to each others which caused the roads had to bend.

To have a good skyline, which town planning better? Assume both have same density
Old June 6th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #1723
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

I'm squarely in the street grid camp.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Spoonsky liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:49 PM   #1724
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
But some plan differently which resulted in curvy roads and bends.
But isn't this due to topography, i.e. hills, rivers, etc? Why would you plan curvy roads and bends unless the layout of the land called for it?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old June 7th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #1725
skanny

Likes (Received): 1048

Quote:
But isn't this due to topography, i.e. hills, rivers, etc? Why would you plan curvy roads and bends unless the layout of the land called for it?
In the case of Tokyo it isn't due to topography ...
skanny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #1726
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Many streets in European cities are due to topography and trace their origins to old trails from centuries ago. London is a good case in point. When you see a straight road, there's a good chance the Romans built it.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old June 7th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #1727
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanny View Post
In the case of Tokyo it isn't due to topography ...
What is it due to then?

My photo threads:

Old June 7th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #1728
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Anyway, in keeping with the topic, this is something that will contribute to the continued growth of Miami. We have a business contract with the Panama Canal called a Memorandum of Understanding.

Quote:
Wikipedia:
The Port of Miami Deep Dredge Project is a planned project to expand the Port of Miami by dredging the bay to allow new, larger cargo ships to enter the port.[1] This project is related to the "New Panamax" project to be completed by 2014 that involves a major expansion of the Panama Canal. The port, which is currently 42 feet deep,[2] will have to be dredged to 50 feet in depth to allow the new Super Post Panamax megaships to enter. This project also coincides with the Port of Miami Tunnel project, also to be completed by 2014, that will allow trucks to bypass Downtown Miami, resulting in twice the traffic capacity to the port. The ports of New York, Norfolk, and Baltimore have already undergone these projects.[3] The Deep Dredge, along with port facility improvements such as the addition of two new large gantry cranes, will make the Port of Miami capable of berthing even the next largest container vessels in the world, the Maersk Triple E Class, which will have a draught of 48 feet (15 m) and will be nearly 200 feet (61 m) wide, and are also set to be completed in 2014.

The Port of Miami is the closest US port to the Panama Canal, making it expected to be the most desired port for the new ships using the Panama Canal.

My photo threads:

Old June 7th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #1729
Guy_J

Likes (Received): 3

I've navigated the first third of this thread and am not surprised by the excessive love of Mainland Chinese cities, in particular, Shenzhen. I'm left with the impression many people have only spent transient moments in China and haven't actually experienced the generic cities of the mainland.
It appears numerous people in the 'west' who are dissatisfied (in numerous ways they are right) with the current reality of their country, are clinging to the 'east' for hope of a 'new way'.
I have lived in Shanghai for many years and I agree, that from the air, the city is stunning at night, but is bland and dull in daytime. Take the time to navigate the streets, and you will be reminded that the glitz of the aerial stops in its tracks once we approach street level.
More perpsective is needed before we jump on the bandwagon.
Guy_J no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #1730
jaysonn341

Likes (Received): 332

Agreed. I've thought about this and my opinion has come down to this:

Cities like NY and HK are very dense and from that exists a street level full of shops and people.
Cities like Shanghai and Beijing are really just densely populated suburbs. Like in Melbourne suburbs, there are almost no people walking on the streets. They are quiet residential areas. If you want a lively atmosphere, you head to the nearest commercial district.
So the point is, its not really a bad thing to have things quiet at street level. There's more space for residents and the life is not as fast or crowded. There are always places that are packed with crowds of people if that's what you like.
I've stayed in both the average HK and Shanghai apartments and would definitely prefer the more open spaced residential buildings you find in Shanghai. But then the street life of HK is much more preferable. I'm sure the trade off is now clearly defined.
jaysonn341 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #1731
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy_J View Post
I've navigated the first third of this thread and am not surprised by the excessive love of Mainland Chinese cities, in particular, Shenzhen. I'm left with the impression many people have only spent transient moments in China and haven't actually experienced the generic cities of the mainland.
It appears numerous people in the 'west' who are dissatisfied (in numerous ways they are right) with the current reality of their country, are clinging to the 'east' for hope of a 'new way'.
I have lived in Shanghai for many years and I agree, that from the air, the city is stunning at night, but is bland and dull in daytime. Take the time to navigate the streets, and you will be reminded that the glitz of the aerial stops in its tracks once we approach street level.
More perpsective is needed before we jump on the bandwagon.
Except this is a skyline ranking, NOT a quality of life ranking. I'm not sure how anyone could possibly have gotten confused, but you seem to have. The thread title clearly states 'Best Skylines of 2025'.

Chinese skylines are very impressive, but I'm not sure how one can extrapolate that into meaning I want to live in any of them. If you need clarification a skyline means the line buildings make with the sky.... hence 'sky-line'.

QuantumX, Faisal Shourov liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; June 7th, 2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old June 7th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #1732
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonn341 View Post
Agreed. I've thought about this and my opinion has come down to this:

Cities like NY and HK are very dense and from that exists a street level full of shops and people.
Cities like Shanghai and Beijing are really just densely populated suburbs. Like in Melbourne suburbs, there are almost no people walking on the streets. They are quiet residential areas. If you want a lively atmosphere, you head to the nearest commercial district.
So the point is, its not really a bad thing to have things quiet at street level. There's more space for residents and the life is not as fast or crowded. There are always places that are packed with crowds of people if that's what you like.
I've stayed in both the average HK and Shanghai apartments and would definitely prefer the more open spaced residential buildings you find in Shanghai. But then the street life of HK is much more preferable. I'm sure the trade off is now clearly defined.
It depends what area..downtowns will be very lively with shops on every street, but if one goes to the outskirts..yes one will see large residential-only complexes with only a few shops nearby. But even the quiet areas of China are much more lively than a North American suburb, there are street vendors everywhere.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #1733
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

This would be a topic for another thread though.

My photo threads:

Old June 7th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #1734
isaidso
the new republic

Precisely. This is a skyline thread.

BarbaricManchurian liked this post
Old June 7th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #1735
CarltonHill
Kim Domingo

Likes (Received): 1576

Metro Manila, Philippines

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

>> scroll

KlausDiggy, Dito Roso, iamtheSTIG liked this post
CarltonHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #1736
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

While Southeast Asia has some decent skylines they seem to be the ones dominating this thread a bit too much.

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #1737
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
While Southeast Asia has some decent skylines they seem to be the ones dominating this thread a bit too much.
Well, they do seem to be the ones growing the fastest so it's understandable.

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1, wino liked this post
Old June 7th, 2014, 10:04 PM   #1738
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Except this is a skyline ranking, NOT a quality of life ranking. I'm not sure how anyone could possibly have gotten confused, but you seem to have. The thread title clearly states 'Best Skylines of 2025'.

Chinese skylines are very impressive, but I'm not sure how one can extrapolate that into meaning I want to live in any of them. If you need clarification a skyline means the line buildings make with the sky.... hence 'sky-line'.
I don't understand how people relate other factors to skyline and downgrade/underrate them. Is it a crime for a city from a developing country (like Manila for ex) to have a good skyline? Why should we rate their skyline poor just because their living standard is not good enough?

_Night City Dream_, Dito Roso liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 02:52 AM   #1739
CarltonHill
Kim Domingo

Likes (Received): 1576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
naaah.. we're just TOO lucky. and we can afford it.
Old June 8th, 2014, 05:07 AM   #1740
lochinvar

Likes (Received): 672

I'd like to make a vacation in Montana for one week. After that the mountain doesn't move.
lochinvar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline