daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 14th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #161
CarltonHill
Kim Domingo

Likes (Received): 1576

^ Hmm. Let's see. Shanghai has a lot of iconic skyscrapers underway, most are glassy ones.

Anyway,

Europe has London, Moscow, Paris and Warsaw as their best skylines today imo. But I could see Moscow or Paris likely to overtake London in some 8-10 years.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
CarltonHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #162
AJIekc

Likes (Received): 15474

Moscow top 10-15 (current №1 in europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitMos View Post

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
AJIekc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #163
Dmerdude

Likes (Received): 1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHill View Post
So true.

Well, probably there'll be 1 to 3 spots in the 2025 Top10 for Western and OZ cities. the rest of the top10 would come from ASIA.

okay the top10 would probably be like this one:

1. Shanghai
2. Hong Kong

3. New York
4. Shenzhen
5. Bangkok

6. Chicago
7. Guangzhou
8. Manila
9. Dubai

10. Toronto

I might agree with this list

Toronto might actually beat Dubai too.
Dmerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #164
Dmerdude

Likes (Received): 1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJIekc View Post
Moscow top 10-15 (current №1 in europe)
No way.
Dmerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #165
jonathaninATX

Likes (Received): 2570

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali al-smadi View Post
I live in Dallas, and I gotta say, it makes me proud to see it mentioned in a thread about best skylines. The skyline here look really nice, especially the new look with omni hotel. When you said "are about to experience a boom", what did you mean? Are there any under construction or approved skyscrapers or high rises, because I would love to see a supertall or something?
There is a supertall skyscraper in the works for Dallas, it's called 2121 Flora and will be between 75- 80 stories tall if built, there will be several office towers breaking ground in a few months. Frost Bank Tower 22 stories will break ground in August, then we got Hall's Art Tower 16 Stories that will break ground this fall. This doesn't include what's already U/C in an around downtown Dallas.

http://www.planbdevelopment.com/pages/flora.htm

jonathaninATX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #166
justproject

Likes (Received): 3275

1.new york city
2.mumbai
3.shanghai
4.london
5.Hong Kong
6.Shenzhen
7.baku
8.dubai
9.chicago
10.batumi
justproject no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #167
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

Yeah I agree.. Asia will dominate world's skyline in 2025.
followed by North America

BTW- I'm finding Shanghai more appealing than HongKong nowadays..

wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #168
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
Yeah I agree.. Asia will dominate world's skyline in 2025.
followed by North America

Don't you mean Asia will continue to dominate the world's skylines? Asia is already there and will continue to stay there! Toronto, Panama City, Miami, and Mexico City will gain a lot more ground along with New York, but the economics are different in North America.

http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #169
CarltonHill
Kim Domingo

In some ways, I think Seattle has a place in the 2025 top15. If they'll build at least 10 glassy skyscrapers.

Seattle today:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

setting-wise, it's perfect!
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #170
CarltonHill
Kim Domingo

The colorful Doha will somehow land in the 2025 top15 too. I can see the potential.

image hosted on flickr

Old July 15th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #171
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
Not surprising, Shanghai has expanded a lot over the past 5 years and built many gorgeous skyscrapers. Specially the lighting of Lujiazui skyline at night is the best and most iconic imo. Very eye catching.

However people just see the Lujiazui skyline and say Shanghai skyline is small. Actually, Shanghai skyline is much, much bigger than that. In fact, with proper illumination Puxi skyline can be as much as iconic as Lujiazui at night. It already look terrific in day

Highcliff, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #172
wino

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHill View Post
In some ways, I think Seattle has a place in the 2025 top15. If they'll build at least 10 glassy skyscrapers.
Seattle is always in my list of favorites despite the size along with San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Don't you mean Asia will continue to dominate the world's skylines? Asia is already there and will continue to stay there! Toronto, Panama City, Miami, and Mexico City will gain a lot more ground along with New York, but the economics are different in North America.
[/url]
I see your point regarding Asia's dominance.

Right now I'm not really impressed with Miami, but as I heard, constructions are busy in the city. So we'll see..

Old July 18th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #173
Core Rising
Ampersands & What

Asian cities absolutely do not dominate the list of best skylines. I really can't say this enough.

Quality over Quantity. You could have a thousand apartment blocks over 150m, but unless there is drama and individual brilliance of design I would always rank much smaller skylines higher in terms of being best.

I absolutely agree that Seattle has a place at the top table of Best skylines.

And again, I never said London is in the top 10 in the world, or even will be in the top 10 in 2025. I am simply defending the idea that just because other cities around the world dwarf London in terms of numbers, does not automatically mean they are have better skylines because of that fact alone. London has a number of buildings of individual brilliance which Miami any city would be lucky to have.

London does need more buildings to build up its skyline, but that is because the city is vast. It does however have height variance and drama that other cities Miami with larger skylines sometimes lack. I do hope that with all of the projects currently proposed in London, it does not lose this.

It might also interest some of you that London has more buildings built and proposed over 150m than Toronto has currently built. By 2025 im sure Toronto will still be miles ahead as it has its own construction boom going on, but I thought I would share that little fact to demonstrate just how much London's skyline is set to change.

BOTTOM, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Core Rising está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #174
NNshenzhen

Likes (Received): 53

Mmm, true that many of these Chinese cities have thousands of ~100 m apartment blocks, but these are never covered anyway on this forum. We focus (mostly) on the supertalls, then on the 200m+ skyscrapers, and just one Shenzhen has more of those done or under way than whole Europe incl UK.

Secondly, these apartment blocks are usually in better shape and livelier than any Western public housing developments, with 24 hour shopping and related activities at bottom 2 - 3 floors, so whole streets have that 'super shopping boulevard' appearance. Of course, the locals' hygiene and other related traditions leave a lot to be desired, but look, so do many areas of London where good old Brits are no more to be found, isn't it?

Third, other skylines like Kuala Lumpur or Singapore have very good quality apartment towers, done by world's top architects, that nicely complement their office buildings and are in no way inferior to the best on the western hemisphere..

As for London, yea I do agree - in fact it doesn't need any skyline to prove its worth, in particular that self-governed Square Mile of bankers: anyone researching US Fed ownership would know that it is still controlled in a big chunk by London banking families... and who controls the money, controls the wars and everything else - so much for real US independence after 1776 huh, not to mention the financing backgrounds of murderous Bolsheviks against Russia, or both world wars etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Core Rising View Post
Asian cities absolutely do not dominate the list of best skylines. I really can't say this enough.

Quality over Quantity. You could have a thousand apartment blocks over 150m, but unless there is drama and individual brilliance of design I would always rank much smaller skylines higher in terms of being best.

I absolutely agree that Seattle has a place at the top table of Best skylines.

And again, I never said London is in the top 10 in the world, or even will be in the top 10 in 2025. I am simply defending the idea that just because other cities around the world dwarf London in terms of numbers, does not automatically mean they are have better skylines because of that fact alone. London has a number of buildings of individual brilliance which Miami any city would be lucky to have.

London does need more buildings to build up its skyline, but that is because the city is vast. It does however have height variance and drama that other cities Miami with larger skylines sometimes lack. I do hope that with all of the projects currently proposed in London, it does not lose this.

It might also interest some of you that London has more buildings built and proposed over 150m than Toronto has currently built. By 2025 im sure Toronto will still be miles ahead as it has its own construction boom going on, but I thought I would share that little fact to demonstrate just how much London's skyline is set to change.
Old July 19th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #175
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55225

My pick would be Shanghai.

Highcliff liked this post
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #176
wino

DITTO

Highcliff liked this post
Old July 20th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #177
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2091

I'm going to ignore the obvious ones (NYC, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, etc) and just discuss some of the cities that I believe are the "darkhorses" to be Top 10 by 2025.

Moscow: In my opinion, this is the best skyline in Europe, and is poised to grip that title even tighter as the IBC continues to grow both out and up. It is developing one of the best supertall clusters in the world, with many uniquely high-quality buildings being added to it. May not have the pure numbers of some of the other cities, but it's vast, stylish, and pretty damn tall.

Melbourne: Poised to be far and away Australia's best skyline in the coming years. Doesn't have the overall height of some of the other cities, but has great bones, with many new tall high-quality towers currently U/C and new proposals added all the time.

Mumbai: This WILL have both the quantity and height to be top 10, but right now I think the quality of buildings is just terrible. That's why it's a darkhorse and not a sure thing.

Tianjin: Currently pretty far behind many of its Chinese brethren, Tianjin is undertaking one of the most ambitious building projects in the world. It is going to have tons of height and multiple clusters, but may be too decentralized and lack the pure cohesiveness of a top 10 skyline.

Beijing: Unlike Tianjin, this skyline is very centralized and most of the tall buildings are built near each other. Doesn't have enough volume at the moment, but that could change.

Seoul: A vast cityscape with plenty of density, and height is finally coming. Will it be enough?

Panama City: This city is actually building up at approximately the same rate as Toronto, but largely gets ignored. I'm not sure if it can keep up the pace, and it needs a shot in the arm in terms of both height and quality. But I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Manila: Reminds me of Miami on super-steroids. Kind of floating under the radar. A few high quality supertalls could start tying together the massive amount of buildup.

Jakarta: Same as Manila, but has more ground to cover.

Riyadh: Don't think it will get there, but have you SEEN that new business center? Incredible amount of construction.

Busan: Amazingly futuristic skyline going on, but will it be built at the pace to keep up with many of the Chinese cities?

The rest of the cities that I believe have the "inside track" over the cities I just mentioned include: Guangzhou, Tokyo, Toronto, KL, Chongqing, Chicago, Dubai.

The cities that are basically there now but I think will have trouble holding their spots include: Singapore (height limit hurts), Bangkok (lacks the "it" factor and needs true standout towers), and Sydney (only mentioning because it's going from historical best in Australia to afterthought unless they lift that height limit, but honestly it isn't really "there" now, it's just going to fall further).

No South American or African cities have a chance to make the list. No new US cities outside NYC/Chicago have a chance to crack it either. I think the Asian skylines are going to dominate going forward, and the only city outside Asia that can possibly compete for the top spot will be NYC.

That's my 2 cents (or 20 bucks, or whatever).
Old July 20th, 2013, 01:32 AM   #178
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
My pick would be Shanghai.
shanghai....
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 02:18 AM   #179
Caravaggio
Caravaggio

Likes (Received): 54

Hong Kong/Kowloon
Caravaggio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #180
NNshenzhen

Likes (Received): 53

My take...

Moscow - yes, if stable Putin-esque government continues with all the income it brings, even the Russia Tower would be brought back... so by 2025 likely at least 1 megatall and another 6 - 7 supertalls on top of what they have on going now.

Melbourne - if a combination of Katsalidis lego boxes and conservative govt with low height limits continues, Melbourne would become just another artificially constrained Sydney,, where one has to go to Parramatta to just get a supertall.

Seoul - in essence, 3 (or more) disjointed skylines: Gangnam, old centre and Yeouido are that far apart. But if each has a nice cluster of supertalls, and one or two megatalls actually realised, not just talked about in one of them, we're talking Top 10.

Singapore - 20+ years of height limit, which rumours say was imposed purely due to selfishness of the OUB founder Lien Ying Chow to ensure his edifice stays the tallest, effectively killed off what should have been Asia's No 2 skyline. Add to it conservative 'sea of boxes' approach by greedy developers, instead of sea of spires like what Lower Manhattan was in '30s which would have suited Raffles Place well, and what was my hometown for the past two decades won't fare that good even against KL, not to mention Chinese cities.

Manila and Jakarta: both have seismic issues as well as too low GNP per capita; my opinion is Manila has a chance but beyond 2025, needs closer joining of its skylines plus more supertalls.

Kuala Lumpur - out of nothing 20 years ago, one of Asia's top skylines: once Merdeka is up, the nearby Plaza Rakyat will also finish off its original supertall, plus of course many others on going. By 2025, at least 1 megatall and 10 supertalls, so not bad at all...

Guangzhou - good chance at top 10, the Baietan megatall could be up by then, as well as that other CBD, not to mention what it already has...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I'm going to ignore the obvious ones (NYC, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, etc) and just discuss some of the cities that I believe are the "darkhorses" to be Top 10 by 2025.

Moscow: In my opinion, this is the best skyline in Europe, and is poised to grip that title even tighter as the IBC continues to grow both out and up. It is developing one of the best supertall clusters in the world, with many uniquely high-quality buildings being added to it. May not have the pure numbers of some of the other cities, but it's vast, stylish, and pretty damn tall.

Melbourne: Poised to be far and away Australia's best skyline in the coming years. Doesn't have the overall height of some of the other cities, but has great bones, with many new tall high-quality towers currently U/C and new proposals added all the time.

Mumbai: This WILL have both the quantity and height to be top 10, but right now I think the quality of buildings is just terrible. That's why it's a darkhorse and not a sure thing.

Tianjin: Currently pretty far behind many of its Chinese brethren, Tianjin is undertaking one of the most ambitious building projects in the world. It is going to have tons of height and multiple clusters, but may be too decentralized and lack the pure cohesiveness of a top 10 skyline.

Beijing: Unlike Tianjin, this skyline is very centralized and most of the tall buildings are built near each other. Doesn't have enough volume at the moment, but that could change.

Seoul: A vast cityscape with plenty of density, and height is finally coming. Will it be enough?

Panama City: This city is actually building up at approximately the same rate as Toronto, but largely gets ignored. I'm not sure if it can keep up the pace, and it needs a shot in the arm in terms of both height and quality. But I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Manila: Reminds me of Miami on super-steroids. Kind of floating under the radar. A few high quality supertalls could start tying together the massive amount of buildup.

Jakarta: Same as Manila, but has more ground to cover.

Riyadh: Don't think it will get there, but have you SEEN that new business center? Incredible amount of construction.

Busan: Amazingly futuristic skyline going on, but will it be built at the pace to keep up with many of the Chinese cities?

The rest of the cities that I believe have the "inside track" over the cities I just mentioned include: Guangzhou, Tokyo, Toronto, KL, Chongqing, Chicago, Dubai.

The cities that are basically there now but I think will have trouble holding their spots include: Singapore (height limit hurts), Bangkok (lacks the "it" factor and needs true standout towers), and Sydney (only mentioning because it's going from historical best in Australia to afterthought unless they lift that height limit, but honestly it isn't really "there" now, it's just going to fall further).

No South American or African cities have a chance to make the list. No new US cities outside NYC/Chicago have a chance to crack it either. I think the Asian skylines are going to dominate going forward, and the only city outside Asia that can possibly compete for the top spot will be NYC.

That's my 2 cents (or 20 bucks, or whatever).

CarltonHill liked this post
NNshenzhen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline