daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #1861
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20 View Post
Thanks, isaidso. Cities like New York, Shanghai, Chicago, Toronto and Hong Kong - Guangzhou have phenomenal scale as well aesthetically very beautiful skylines. They also have a massive head-start and IMO they will continue being ranked higher than Mumbai even in 2025. Mumbai already has lots of architectural diversity. However, it definitely looks like Mumbai should hit somewhere in the big leagues by 2025. Let's see.
Mumbai and Toronto are going to surprise a lot of people. If one analyzes what's behind the surge in these cities it becomes clear that neither is experiencing a typical construction cycle. They're climbing many notches as they transform into vastly different cities than they were. Mumbai and Toronto have so many engines of growth that they will boom for decades before they start returning to 'normal' levels of growth. Mumbai moreso than Toronto, but both are in rapid ascendency.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:47 AM   #1862
WingWing

Likes (Received): 6740

Other than two mentioned above, another two cities that will surprise alot are jakarta and seoul

Jakarta has 3 supertall U/C like signature tower and many proposed and a few megatall as well. They also do have a number of 200m above buildings such as ciputra world 2 complex and many more.

While seoul has few great masterplan and proposed towers like Hyundai HQ, Yongsan IBD, Yeuido, Redevelomwnt of olympic districts and at least there are few supertalls as well. Currently they also have a few supertall under constructins such as Lotter World, the Parc, etc.

While for Singapore potential will be the expansion of cbd to marina bay and plan to increase office space to 7.5 million sqmfrom current 6 million sqm. We are going to see a lot of 200m building and above in marina bay area by 2025. Probably singapore will have their first supertall in marina bay area on top of current U/C Guoco Tower of 290m
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:52 AM   #1863
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
There are many lowrise houses within Chicago city boundary, should those count as part of the skyline? Chicago outside its core area has very few tall buildings because it's population is very, very small compared to other megacities. Even Toronto has more highrise buildings (>100m) than Chicago. So we shouldn't look at suburban photos of Chicago and say the skyline is unappealing. Shanghai has it's particular spots to shoot its best skyline photos, so does Shenzhen, New York and other big cities which have multiple core areas. (Shanghai has Pudong and Puxi, New York has midtown and downtown, Shenzhen has Futian and Nanshan). Rest of the city is irrelevant
Those high rises barely make it out Rogers Park, why not count them if they're with in the city boundaries both north and especially south? If the high rises are not in the skyline, why should it count as part of the sky line? Common sense, if you put the Trump Tower in the middle of Jefferson park, Should it be part of the skyline? No, of course not, it's not within the skyline moreover forming it's own. Obviously there aren't many tall buildings outside the core, there's nothing but a line of high rises.
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:53 AM   #1864
ChiSkyline

Even with the few proposals the Chicago skyline has, even if none actually become reality, I truly believe it will remain in the top 10 just because of its architectural beauty.
Old July 21st, 2014, 04:19 AM   #1865
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post
Other than two mentioned above, another two cities that will surprise alot are jakarta and seoul
Agree. They're also skylines just on the cusp of shaking things up in the top 10.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old July 21st, 2014, 06:44 AM   #1866
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSkyline View Post
Even with the few proposals the Chicago skyline has, even if none actually become reality, I truly believe it will remain in the top 10 just because of its architectural beauty.
It depends on who's making what list. Of course, to you, it will always be in the top 10, but it's all subjective except for hard numbers of buildings.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 07:01 AM   #1867
ChiSkyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
It depends on who's making what list. Of course, to you, it will always be in the top 10, but it's all subjective except for hard numbers of buildings.
Yes of course in my opinion. But opinions do change. 10 years from now, who would know.
Old July 21st, 2014, 09:00 AM   #1868
xtraxxl

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20 View Post
No, xtraxxl, Mumbai today is close to 3 trillion USD total market capitalization.

Here are the numbers as of May 31, 2014:-

1. New York City (NYSE $18917 billion + NASDAQ $6456 billion): $25373 billion
2. Tokyo: $4373 billion
3. London: $3396 billion
4. Amsterdam (Euronext): $3802 billion
5. Hong Kong: $3046 billion
6. Mumbai (BSE $1399 billion + NSE $1396 billion): $2795 billion
7. Shanghai: $2379 billion
8. Toronto: $2218 billion
9. Frankfurt: $1985 billion
10. Sydney: $1465 billion

Except no one ranks it like that.
Google/wikipedia stock market capitalization ranking.

These are the top 10 financial centres in the world:

by GFCI / IFCDI

1. NYC / NYC
2. London / London
3. Hong Kong / Hong Kong
4. Singapore / Tokyo
5. Zurich / Singapore
6. Tokyo / Shanghai
7. Seoul / Paris
8. Boston / Frankfurt
9. Geneva / Chicago
10. San Fran / Sydney

I'm pretty sure Chicago and Frankfurt are all more important financially than Boston. Not sure how Boston made it so high on the GFCI list.

Last edited by xtraxxl; July 21st, 2014 at 09:15 AM.
xtraxxl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 09:11 AM   #1869
WingWing

thats the correct ranking

Last edited by WingWing; July 21st, 2014 at 09:17 AM.
WingWing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:37 AM   #1870
isaidso
the new republic

There is no recognized correct ranking. Those financial rankings lists tend to vary quite a bit.

Old July 21st, 2014, 02:00 PM   #1871
xtraxxl

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
There is no recognized correct ranking. Those financial rankings lists tend to vary quite a bit.
There are no perfect rankings, but those are the most recognized and widely adopted rankings for financial centres in the world.
xtraxxl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:58 PM   #1872
WingWing

Yes those rankings show the trust, transparency and well regulated stock exchanges that often used by international and widely recognise as safe financial centres.

Meaning that the probability of fake accounts, scam etc are less in those high rated financial centres and as investors u can fully assured that it is well regulated and no discrepancies.

So highly market cap stocks exchange are not beneficial toward investors unless they have good rating

Old July 21st, 2014, 04:30 PM   #1873
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraxxl View Post
There are no perfect rankings, but those are the most recognized and widely adopted rankings for financial centres in the world.
They're the most publicized rankings. They're also funded by cities/organizations that have a vested interest in promoting certain financial centres over others. They're roughly in line with reality, but should be taken with a grain of salt.

They say if you read something enough times it becomes true. The truth is they're opinions regardless of how many times you read it. I agree with those ranking for the most part, but these rankings aren't gospel like some people seem to think. They're studies.

wino liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; July 21st, 2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old July 21st, 2014, 04:58 PM   #1874
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

The best skyline by 2025 will definitely be Athens.

That is all.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 05:18 PM   #1875
WingWing

Then should i say WOW?

Old July 21st, 2014, 07:13 PM   #1876
Abinash89

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraxxl View Post
Except no one ranks it like that.
Google/wikipedia stock market capitalization ranking.

These are the top 10 financial centres in the world:

by GFCI / IFCDI

1. NYC / NYC
2. London / London
3. Hong Kong / Hong Kong
4. Singapore / Tokyo
5. Zurich / Singapore
6. Tokyo / Shanghai
7. Seoul / Paris
8. Boston / Frankfurt
9. Geneva / Chicago
10. San Fran / Sydney

I'm pretty sure Chicago and Frankfurt are all more important financially than Boston. Not sure how Boston made it so high on the GFCI list.
Mate you missed one thing about Mumbai.
Mumbai has two stock exchanges i.e BSE and NSE
BSE market cap= $1.6 Trillion+ NSE= $1.5 Trillion
sum total= $ 3.1 trillion.
Old July 21st, 2014, 07:39 PM   #1877
WingWing

And one more thing u miss out, mumbai stock exchange just like china, has many company with fake accounts and don't have strong regulations that safeguard the interest of investors. Moreover those top 10 financial centre are more attractive to foreign investors. It is big but.... Numbers isnt represent anything

-Corey-, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:03 AM   #1878
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31740

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Yes, but the "worlds best skyline" is a subjective thing. You can do all the hard numbers but in the end it is comes down to preference. Otherwise cities like Athens or Sao Paulo would have the best skyline only because of the number of buildings they have. A skyline to me is like a piece of art. And it is more than just a picture or a view, it is about the experience. That is why seeing a skyline in person and being able to "experience" it is a major factor in my top 10. I need to be wowed both in paper and in person for a skyline to be the "best" in the world.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 02:24 AM   #1879
Tk.Alv-87

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingWing View Post

And one more thing u miss out, mumbai stock exchange just like china, has many company with fake accounts and don't have strong regulations that safeguard the interest of investors. Moreover those top 10 financial centre are more attractive to foreign investors. It is big but.... Numbers isnt represent anything
It's not that the Chinese stock markets aren't attractive enough for foreign investors, it's just that our government hasn't fully opened the markets to outsiders yet.

I think that's the biggest reason why Shanghai/Shenzhen/Beijing rank lower than Singapore and Hong Kong on the list --- as a matter of fact, we have more restrictions
Tk.Alv-87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:48 AM   #1880
WingWing

True

Tags
skyline