daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #1
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

NEW YORK | 341 Madison Ave | Pro

If this is a condo/hotel, it will be pretty tall.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013...y-developments

MTA's Madison Avenue Headquarters to Make Way for Luxury Developments
By Alan Neuhauser on June 27, 2013 1:51pm | Updated on June 27, 2013 1:51pm
@alneuhauser

The MTA is moving from its headquarters on Madison Avenue between 44th and 45th streets. The agency issued a request for... View Full Caption
MTA/Patrick Cashin
MIDTOWN — There goes the neighborhood.

The MTA is moving from its Midtown Madison Avenue headquarters and making way for luxury developments that could include a high-end hotel, ritzy residences, Class A offices or some mixture of the three, the transit agency announced on its website Thursday.

The move, taking place at 341, 345 and 347 Madison Ave. between East 44th and East 45th streets, was first announced in April 2011, and it is scheduled to take place by the end of next year.

"It is part of a larger effort the MTA is undertaking that is projected to generate $600 million in cost savings and revenues," the agency stated, namely through consolidating office space, reducing the agency's workforce, and selling property.

The MTA issued a request for proposals from developers on Tuesday seeking a 99-year lease. Whichever company comes aboard, it said, all three buildings are expected to be demolished.

"They cannot be combined and have inefficient floor plates and redundant and antiquated building systems that have rendered them obsolete for office use," the agency said.

The Madison Avenue buildings are the latest major MTA holdings to be put up for sale. Last year, the MTA began relocating New York City Transit's former headquarters from 370 Jay St. in Downtown Brooklyn to the MTA building at 2 Broadway, which saved $184 million in renovation costs, the agency said.

The MTA is also seeking or reviewing proposals from developers for eight other properties in New York City.

The building at 347 Madison Ave., a 20-story beige brick and limestone tower originally known as the Equitable Trust Building, has served as the MTA's overall headquarters since the agency bought the structure in 1979.

The building, constructed in 1917, is connected to Grand Central Terminal by an underground walkway, and developers will be required to maintain that connection by including an entrance to the new Long Island Railroad concourse, which is being built beneath Grand Central as part of the East Side Access project.

The buildings at 341 and 345 Madison Ave. were bought by the MTA in 1991.

MTA employees who work in the agency's headquarters office will be relocated to the agency's building at 2 Broadway in the Financial District, which already includes the main offices for MTA New York City Transit, which runs trains and buses, MTA Bridges and Tunnels, which oversees river crossings, and MTA Capital Construction, which is building the Second Avenue and East Side Access projects.

Those who work in the MTA Metro-North Railroad offices will move to the Graybar Building at 420 Lexington Ave.

Kanto, TowerVerre:) liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #2
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

yes this can be supertall. This is another property that can start ahead of the sunrise provision along with 425 PA & The Vanderbilt!

http://nypost.com/2013/10/11/mta-see...quarters-site/

Quote:
The agency is seeking fresh proposals from real-estate developers, citing changes to the Midtown East rezoning proposal, after receiving a first round of bids in mid-August.

Developers now have until 5 p.m. Oct. 16 to amend their bids or submit new proposals.

The MTA plans to award a long-term lease to a developer who will be able to demolish its headquarters along with two adjoining buildings and redevelop the location.

As an enticement, the winner “will be able to commence the Redevelopment under the proposed upzoning immediately after the MTA vacates the Property,” according to the notice.

The previous zoning plan would have pushed off redevelopment until 2017 to kick start the Hudson Yards project. The zoning still has to be approved by the City Council and signed by the mayor, who has made this a centerpiece of his last year in office.

Not only can development start two to three years sooner, but the MTA is likely to get a higher price for the long-term lease of its now more valuable property that takes up the entire east side blockfront from E. 44th to 45th streets.

“The MTA will benefit from this provision,” said Steven Spinola, president of the Real Estate Board of New York.

TowerVerre:) liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; October 13th, 2013 at 04:29 AM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #3
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I have mixed feelings about this, as I quite like these buildings.
Old October 13th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Vertical_Gotham

You think they are worthy not to be razed for a nicer taller tower??

I dunno, actually I'm not sure how those buildings look like but I would like to swing by and take a look.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; October 13th, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #5
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

Here's a photo of 347 Madison Avenue (seen in the first post, above) from 1921:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/1315?size=_original#caption

Recent huge photo with good view of the lower floors (click to maximize once loaded):

http://blsciblogs.baruch.cuny.edu/as...son-FSCM-2.jpg

Vertical_Gotham, TowerVerre:) liked this post
McSky está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #6
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The current building is average at best. (really old, though!) I think a nice modern replacement would be worthy of its location.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #7
Vertical_Gotham

Thanks McSky for those images!

I agree TOG! I mean IMO it would not be missed, while they are nice but not worthy to be saved. Besides, if done right there would be an opportunity to create a tower worthy of a land marked status. When midtown east zoning passes, this district will be set to modernize and change for the better. Even if the replacement is not land mark worthy, then something pretty damn good could rise there!
Old October 14th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #8
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

^ Lets hope that it will be great for the area .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #9
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

MTA Reopens HQ Bids

Quote:
Last Updated: October 14, 2013 11:13am ET

NEW YORK CITY-The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) has reportedly reopened the bidding to developers interested in acquiring its headquarters on Madison Avenue.

The agency is asking for new proposals or amended bids from those firms who have already expressed interest in the property due to the changes incorporated in the Midtown East rezoning proposal, according to the New York Post.

The deadline for submissions is Wednesday, Oct. 16 at 5 p.m.

The MTA plans to award a long-term lease to a developer who will then be able to demolish the headquarters building along with two adjoining properties and redevelop the site.

- from the NY Post:

Quote:
As an enticement, the winner “will be able to commence the Redevelopment under the proposed upzoning immediately after the MTA vacates the Property,” according to the notice.

The previous zoning plan would have pushed off redevelopment until 2017 to kick start the Hudson Yards project. The zoning still has to be approved by the City Council and signed by the mayor, who has made this a centerpiece of his last year in office.

Not only can development start two to three years sooner, but the MTA is likely to get a higher price for the long-term lease of its now more valuable property that takes up the entire east side blockfront from E. 44th to 45th streets.

“The MTA will benefit from this provision,” said Steven Spinola, president of the Real Estate Board of New York.

Old October 17th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #10
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Honestly these buildings are classic NYC style and I'd say should not be touched! They look very much in the right place and with perfect proportions there.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

dexter2, iamtheSTIG liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #11
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
Honestly these buildings are classic NYC style and I'd say should not be touched! They look very much in the right place and with perfect proportions there.
I agree.
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #12
Vertical_Gotham

I mean it is something I honestly will not miss. Something better can be built at this site. Something of a classic design perhaps that could swing your opinion towards razing? LOL, maybe another Stern designed tower?

341 Madison Ave
https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...ed=0CCoQxB0wAA
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #13
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
I mean it is something I honestly will not miss. Something better can be built at this site. Something of a classic design perhaps that could swing your opinion towards razing? LOL, maybe another Stern designed tower?

341 Madison Ave
I am usually pretty open about new things, but recently the only one that is truly worth talking about is 107 W str. My high hopes for something spectacular on 225 W57 str, given its big footprint evaporated into thin air. So I am open, but skeptical that they are not as cheap as they usually are about building something.

I was recently at this place and despite the fact that these buildings are pretty dusty - they are what and why we call NYC - a city that no one wants to forget. NYC has certain style and I think it should be kept as it is.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Old October 17th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #14
RobertWalpole
BANNED

They also have nice details at street level.

JohnFlint1985 liked this post
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #15
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post

341 Madison Ave
I look upon these Madison and Park Avenue stalwarts as essentially modernist boxes tarted up with stonemasonry wedding cake in the fussy 1910s-20s. This is why so few of these are protected: because by design and proportion, they are just boxes, however articulated. A satisfying outcome for me would be the complete gutting and hollowing out of the building, except masonry skin and lobby adornments; with a shiny new skyscraper surmounting the lower bulk.

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 01:57 AM   #16
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I look upon these Madison and Park Avenue stalwarts as essentially modernist boxes tarted up with stonemasonry wedding cake in the fussy 1910s-20s. This is why so few of these are protected: because by design and proportion, they are just boxes, however articulated. A satisfying outcome for me would be the complete gutting and hollowing out of the building, except masonry skin and lobby adornments; with a shiny new skyscraper surmounting the lower bulk.
Something like Hearst Tower?
I would agree to that as well. Keep the lower part exterior walls and build on top anything you would like.

desertpunk, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Old October 18th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #17
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Yeah, use the existing structure as a plinth for a shiny modern skyscraper that's set back from the street. No need to demo fine stonework.

bozenBDJ liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #18
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Which building is exactly 341 M Av.? Or does this development involve the entire plot?
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #19
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
Which building is exactly 341 M Av.? Or does this development involve the entire plot?
Everything visible in that photo will be razed. However, it's not that big of a site because this particular stretch of Madison has unusually small blocks, and the building behind this (on Vanderbilt) is not part of the deal.

Old October 18th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #20
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Thanks for the clarification, RW. The plot is only 34m * 63m big and has ~2450m². So a very tall and slim building on a retail base is very likely here.

Vertical_Gotham, Eric Offereins liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
341 madison, new york, nyc