daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 20th, 2015, 03:19 AM   #461
godgame
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 260
Likes (Received): 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Rising View Post
Why can't we build towers like this in Manhattan?
lack of ultra cheap labor + state oil enterprise.
godgame no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #462
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by godgame View Post
lack of ultra cheap labor + state oil enterprise.
The enterprise here does not deal in oil, rather other commodities (exchange)

..... as for lack of cheap labour, surely that was the reason WTC1 took as long as it did to start
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.


city of the future, Gabriel900 liked this post
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #463
godgame
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 260
Likes (Received): 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The enterprise here does not deal in oil, rather other commodities (exchange)

..... as for lack of cheap labour, surely that was the reason WTC1 took as long as it did to start
lots of the money that makes dubai work is coming from various other oil heavy me states.
godgame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2015, 11:02 AM   #464
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

This tower is being developed by Dubai Multi Comodities Centre www.dmcc.ae

They're the Authority of an economic zone that deals in gold, diamonds, tea and pearls trading and exchange mostly. Regardless, I don't "understand" why the concept of 'oil money' is so hated when it comes to this region, but warshiped if elsewhere. Certainly oil isn't the problem, bigotry is.
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2015, 03:04 PM   #465
phoenixboi08
Registered User
 
phoenixboi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,543
Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Rising View Post
Why can't we build towers like this in Manhattan?
zoning

edit: I forgot to add that if the AS+GG render is indeed even remotely close to the actual design, I may just end up liking at least one megatall.
__________________
MCRP '16

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #466
Blizzy
Perfect Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 1,257
Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
zoning
Elaborate please, don't know what you mean.
Blizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 10:41 AM   #467
nwmea
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 22
Likes (Received): 3

is it the name of the tower, Burj 2020?
nwmea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 09:59 PM   #468
phoenixboi08
Registered User
 
phoenixboi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,543
Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzy View Post
Elaborate please, don't know what you mean.
The city doesn't really regulate the height of buildings, but rather their size.

There is a calculation, called FAR (Floor Area Ratio), which determines the eligible amount of developable space for any given lot.

For example, a lot that was 60x60m with a FAR of 1, would only be able to have 3,600 sq. m. of developed space. However, if that FAR was 20, then the amount of developable space would be something like 72,000 sq. m. (lot size x FAR).

A site like that upon which 1WTC sits, for example, could theoretically support something as tall as the Burj Khalifa (since the former is a bit larger than the latter, in terms of leasable space). However, the lot on which the building sits would in no way support a tower with such a large footprint...thus, it would necessitate buying multiple surrounding lots in order to develop a mega tall building, even though the developer would not be using the full FAR of the two sites, combined.

In theory, I guess the developer could wait and sell them to make a profit...

In short, a lot of the easy lots to develop in the city are quite small parcels, which doesn't necessarily mean the resulting developments can't be tall (see the super skinny towers along 57th), but it does mean they don't have much space to play with in terms of building something quite so tall (i.e. something with a very large base).

This is the reason we're seeing all those super skinny towers, and why they'll likely become more prevalent, in the future.
__________________
MCRP '16

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #469
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers
 
ZZ-II's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Ingolstadt in Bavaria
Posts: 33,506
Likes (Received): 6526

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmea View Post
is it the name of the tower, Burj 2020?
Not the final name probably
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 03:41 AM   #470
Shaddorry
Futurologist
 
Shaddorry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hofstade-Aalst
Posts: 1,527
Likes (Received): 699

Damn my soul. This design is like architectural porn!
Just wow.
Look at it.
LOOK. AT. IT!

Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #471
Ch.W
Registered User
 
Ch.W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Heinsberg - near Cologne
Posts: 1,780
Likes (Received): 5180

I like the design, as far as i can see the tower.
It's funny we have only ONE render showing the tower from ONE angle. It's hard to judge when there are no pics from other angles.
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by Ch.W; August 27th, 2015 at 02:03 AM.
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 10:58 AM   #472
Blizzy
Perfect Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 1,257
Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
The city doesn't really regulate the height of buildings, but rather their size.

There is a calculation, called FAR (Floor Area Ratio), which determines the eligible amount of developable space for any given lot.

For example, a lot that was 60x60m with a FAR of 1, would only be able to have 3,600 sq. m. of developed space. However, if that FAR was 20, then the amount of developable space would be something like 72,000 sq. m. (lot size x FAR).

A site like that upon which 1WTC sits, for example, could theoretically support something as tall as the Burj Khalifa (since the former is a bit larger than the latter, in terms of leasable space). However, the lot on which the building sits would in no way support a tower with such a large footprint...thus, it would necessitate buying multiple surrounding lots in order to develop a mega tall building, even though the developer would not be using the full FAR of the two sites, combined.

In theory, I guess the developer could wait and sell them to make a profit...

In short, a lot of the easy lots to develop in the city are quite small parcels, which doesn't necessarily mean the resulting developments can't be tall (see the super skinny towers along 57th), but it does mean they don't have much space to play with in terms of building something quite so tall (i.e. something with a very large base).

This is the reason we're seeing all those super skinny towers, and why they'll likely become more prevalent, in the future.
Sorry to bring this up again in this thread, but this is quite interesting and I was not aware of this before.

Your Burj Khalifa/WTC example is puzzling to me. Do you mean that if you are developing a whole block, you cannot utilize the FAR of all the parcels combining it? While BK's footprint is indeed larger than 1WTC's the building itself takes only a small part of the surrounding area. Aren't these huge batches of land managed as a whole when it comes to these mega-developments? To my understanding if you had a plot with a huge FAR (and there are these plots in the city, the FAR for 432 Park Ave has to be very high, for example), you could just form a block like this from the surrounding parcels and build something like that, no?
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Blizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #473
germantower
i ♥ NY
 
germantower's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,452
Likes (Received): 1155

You can buy unused air rights from plots neighboring your plot, this unused air rights can be added to your air rights. Or you can buy several plots and combine them to a bigger plot, that happened at One57, Central Park Tower. If you dedicate a portion of your plot, for a public plaza, you get extra air rights. It all depends what kind of tower you wanna develop. An office building will result in a bulkier building, using up the air rights much faster, than a residential tower, which is usually a lot slimmer. Technically , you could also build huge double floor technical rooms to add height. A crown, without any leasable space, a spire, whatsoever. It all comes down to money and fantasy.
__________________
more SHoP less BIG
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #474
godgame
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 260
Likes (Received): 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzy View Post
Sorry to bring this up again in this thread, but this is quite interesting and I was not aware of this before.

Your Burj Khalifa/WTC example is puzzling to me. Do you mean that if you are developing a whole block, you cannot utilize the FAR of all the parcels combining it? While BK's footprint is indeed larger than 1WTC's the building itself takes only a small part of the surrounding area. Aren't these huge batches of land managed as a whole when it comes to these mega-developments? To my understanding if you had a plot with a huge FAR (and there are these plots in the city, the FAR for 432 Park Ave has to be very high, for example), you could just form a block like this from the surrounding parcels and build something like that, no?
the problem is getting all that land. you will pay as much for a few plots in nyc to gather your far as it would cost to build an entire tower in china.
godgame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 06:29 PM   #475
DUBAI10000
Registered User
 
DUBAI10000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Boston
Posts: 790
Likes (Received): 436

This tower is so bad ass can't wait for Cityscape, it's only 2 weeks away plus the 200 tower Sharjah island design will be revealed.
__________________
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #476
droneriot
Urban Hermit
 
droneriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cydonia Mensae
Posts: 4,664
Likes (Received): 2622

What's funny is that in the NYC Central Park Tower thread they're talking about Burj 2020, and in the Burj 2020 thread you're talking about NYC. It's confusing.
__________________

Ch.W, onewtclover liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 03:14 AM   #477
JasnoDTX
Registered User
 
JasnoDTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Dallas
Posts: 381
Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Skyscraper View Post
This style doesn't fit in there the slightliest.
I disagree. Bolder, more futuristic designs are being planned for NYC. Even at the expensive of tearing down some of the older ones. And NYC isnt the only US city planning some bold towers.
JasnoDTX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2015, 08:52 PM   #478
Dubai Skyscraper
Moderator
 
Dubai Skyscraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Speyer, Germany
Posts: 11,972
Likes (Received): 2609

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasnoDTX View Post
I disagree. Bolder, more futuristic designs are being planned for NYC. Even at the expensive of tearing down some of the older ones. And NYC isnt the only US city planning some bold towers.
Only because something is planned doesn't mean it fits in. You can literally plan anything anywhere, like this 4km tall Xseed 4000 proposal that came up some two decades ago. Does that fit in NYC? Ehrm, no.
Don't assume something fits in only because some architect proposes it, or some company builds it.
__________________
View thousands of 2D and 3D designs in our creative corner
Dubai Skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 05:43 AM   #479
DubaiM
Registered User
 
DubaiM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,626
Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Skyscraper View Post
Don't assume something fits in only because some architect proposes it, or some company builds it.
*ahem*...2 WTC.. *ahem*..
__________________
''There are 360 degrees, so why stick to one?'' - RIP Zaha Hadid

Dubai Skyscraper liked this post
DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 11:40 AM   #480
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally
 
KillerZavatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Düsseldorf
Posts: 11,341
Likes (Received): 8240

If you build a 4km tower it redefines any skyline immediately. It doesn't need to fit in at all, because it becomes the skyline pretty much.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
megatall

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu