daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2016, 10:48 PM   #621
Torch

Likes (Received): 1014

I can imagine this observation deck being used in some blockbuster films. Either for an fight scene or as a backdrop for a headquarter in a sci-fi or superhero movie.

BinSuroor, Kutsuit liked this post
Torch está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2016, 11:48 PM   #622
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
I can imagine this observation deck being used in some blockbuster films. Either for an fight scene or as a backdrop for a headquarter in a sci-fi or superhero movie.
Hell why not a Jedi-duel in Star Wars IX ?
Old May 4th, 2016, 12:36 AM   #623
Hardest

Likes (Received): 0

What is the current situation ?
Hardest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 12:48 AM   #624
SkyscraperLover2K16

Likes (Received): 49

Dubai is going to have lots of great projects being planned or under construction right now for Expo 2020 and this one is one of them
SkyscraperLover2K16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 01:43 AM   #625
GuiJlle

Likes (Received): 651

Wow! Dubai builds, besides tall, really top quality skyscrapers.
GuiJlle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 03:58 PM   #626
CopyLeft
Architect

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiM View Post
Uhm well, I'm sure that Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill is a renowned architect..
Believe it or not, they have little idea about architectural shapes. This design was done by an average 3d guy, who apparently came up with the idea of the crystal shards filling up the gaps. Then he tapered the whole thing on the top. Simpleton idea. Simpleton design. Architect was sleeping somewhere when they filled the height with those glass chips.
CopyLeft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 04:39 PM   #627
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopyLeft View Post
Believe it or not, they have little idea about architectural shapes. This design was done by an average 3d guy, who apparently came up with the idea of the crystal shards filling up the gaps. Then he tapered the whole thing on the top. Simpleton idea. Simpleton design. Architect was sleeping somewhere when they filled the height with those glass chips.
O.k you don't like the Burj design. And your opinion about GG&AS is also quiete negative.
This makes my curious what's a good design for you, in relation of supertalls or megatalls?
Please make an example
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 02:51 PM   #628
CopyLeft
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
O.k you don't like the Burj design. And your opinion about GG&AS is also quiete negative.
This makes my curious what's a good design for you, in relation of supertalls or megatalls?
Please make an example
Burj Khalifa is a valid, suitable design. It's pretty architectural (tiers), practical (for keeping it save and clean), economical (feasible at relatively low cost and lucrative). It sucks a a residential design (no balconies), but almost very good as an office tower.
I cannot say the same about the BK interiors though. There are impractical interiors inside. Designing At.mosphere gave me lots of headaches with the fu*ked up geometry.
If I think about the interiors, the best interiors are in the Emirates Crown tower. Although, it's not a huge tower.

Other almost very good examples are WFC Shanghai (iconic design), and Goldin Finance 117 is almost there, if not the terrible misconception on the top (it could be a beautiful Art Deco building without that "crystal" shit).

The current design of Burj 2020 could be easily converted into a beautiful tower, practical, economical, safe and very architectural, even if they keep those shitty crystals. It only requires a bit of brains to invest.
Old May 5th, 2016, 03:33 PM   #629
CopyLeft
Architect

Also, I have to admit, The Bride 1152m tower project (Basra) is not too terrible either. At least, it's possible to convert it into a valid, suitable design, all the way until the later stages of construction.
Old May 5th, 2016, 04:02 PM   #630
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

People have diffrent tastes... But ur definitely not with the majority...
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 04:32 PM   #631
CopyLeft
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
People have diffrent tastes... But ur definitely not with the majority...
It's not about tastes, your LGBT flag is about tastes. And the majority here - is not 100% architects. And how is that - a gay/bi/trans speaks for "majority"???
You, for example: what do you know about style? What is it? How do you tell something is stylish or not?

Last edited by CopyLeft; May 5th, 2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old May 5th, 2016, 05:07 PM   #632
dreamax00

Likes (Received): 636

Quote:
It's not about tastes, your LGBT flag is about tastes. And the majority here - is not 100% architects. And how is that - a gay/bi/trans speaks for "majority"???
You, for example: what do you know about style? What is it? How do you tell something is stylish or not?
The sexual orientation has nothing to do with architectural taste ! Any minority should have to power to express himself as anyone else ! It's not because people are lgbt that they know less about something than you. This place is not made to discriminate people !

BinSuroor, Ch.W, DubaiM, getroy, GulfArabia and 7 others liked this post
dreamax00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 05:14 PM   #633
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

The job of an architect designing a landmark structure is indeed to cater to a majority, because unlike most other art forms you do not consciously walk into an art gallery or concert hall to appreciate the art you seek to appreciate, but have it in the view of all who visit the city. An architect designing something for other architects to appreciate exclusively must limit himself to structures that will be seen by architects more than "regular" people, not structures millions will have to enjoy.

I made a similar argument in the 2WTC thread when someone was trying to tell us that architects love BIG's design and therefore it must be great - when in reality, architects make up perhaps 0.5% or less of the people who (have to) see the structure.

Mind you that none of the above is a commentary on my personal opinion of the design. To be honest the lack of symetry makes it look crooked in my eyes, like a crystal banana. But I'm a musician, what do I know.
Old May 5th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #634
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Quote:
Burj Khalifa is a valid, suitable design. It's pretty architectural (tiers), practical (for keeping it save and clean), economical (feasible at relatively low cost and lucrative). It sucks a a residential design (no balconies), but almost very good as an office tower.
I cannot say the same about the BK interiors though. There are impractical interiors inside. Designing At.mosphere gave me lots of headaches with the fu*ked up geometry.
If I think about the interiors, the best interiors are in the Emirates Crown tower. Although, it's not a huge tower.

Other almost very good examples are WFC Shanghai (iconic design), and Goldin Finance 117 is almost there, if not the terrible misconception on the top (it could be a beautiful Art Deco building without that "crystal" shit).

The current design of Burj 2020 could be easily converted into a beautiful tower, practical, economical, safe and very architectural, even if they keep those shitty crystals. It only requires a bit of brains to invest.
Sorry but i don't get your arguments. You're talking about "valid, "suitable", "practical" and "economical". Then you make examples they have nothing to do with such categories. You like Goldin 117 because of those categories? And WFC Shanghai = iconic design? I like it too but also you can say it's more or less an oversized bottle opener. Those categories are all sort of economic thinking. They say nothing about beauty or taste. Sounds a bit like the bauhaus style, functional but in my opinion often boring. But that's my opinion nothing more
When i read your arguments it sounds to be honest very intolerant. You decide what's iconic and a good design. Not for you, for other people too.
So you're an architect right? I suppose all other architects not confirm with your principles are a bunch of morons?! Architecture is not an exact science like mathematic with right or wrong.
Sorry but you should try to be more tolerant, and let people have their own principles of iconic or beauty architecture without blaming them.

BinSuroor liked this post

Last edited by Ch.W; May 5th, 2016 at 06:33 PM.
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 08:01 PM   #635
victor del rey

Likes (Received): 387

Quote:
You should be banned for that comment , if you want to discriminate people go to do it to your house. Ah by the way being gay / lesbian / trans doesn't change your way of seeing buildings...
Old May 5th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #636
DubaiM

Quote:
These kinds of comments neither belong in a forum where skyscraper fans discuss about current highrise activity nor in the 21st century itself. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, no matter who they are.
As this is an anonymous forum, it's certainly not our job to comment about the private life of other users... So please stay objective, on topic and discuss like grown-ups...

BinSuroor, Ch.W, ZZ-II, Gabriel900, GulfArabia and 4 others liked this post

Last edited by DubaiM; May 5th, 2016 at 09:06 PM.
DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #637
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29025

Quote:
Now that's RACIST! Who you sleep with got nothing to do with this forum or what you like or hate in architecture!

I can't believe there is still people who talk using such a vile language in the 21st Century!!
Old May 5th, 2016, 11:34 PM   #638
dreamax00

Likes (Received): 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post
Now that's RACIST! Who you sleep with got nothing to do with this forum or what you like or hate in architecture!

I can't believe there is still people who talk using such a vile language in the 21st Century!!
I totally agree. I like Dubai a lot but the ruler describe the city as a tolerant an open minded one but they still send people in jail for loving each other. Sadly some other country the situation is even worse. Everyone should be able to find hapiness with the person they want. If only the amazing and forefront architecture of the city could reflect an as good mindset.

Ch.W liked this post
dreamax00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 11:40 PM   #639
Gabriel900
Super Mod

Likes (Received): 29025

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamax00 View Post
I totally agree. I like Dubai a lot but the ruler describe the city as a tolerant an open minded one but they still send people in jail for loving each other. Sadly some other country the situation is even worse. Everyone should be able to find hapiness with the person they want. If only the amazing and forefront architecture of the city could reflect an as good mindset.
Dubai and UAE in general don't allow people to show affection in public whether you are gay or straight but in your room no one asks you or judge you on what you are doing! I think Dubai is a great open minded city with some cultural boundaries that is misjudged all the time And I think this what makes it so unique and I honestly love it!

Concerning the Ruler I seriously love him and he is doing some great improvement to Dubai and the UAE! No one did for his country what he did in the past couple of years and is still doing! he's a great inspiring man who is making sure laws are improving and evolving to be accepting to all type of people.

Now back to topic

BinSuroor, Ultros, MichalHajek liked this post

Last edited by Gabriel900; May 5th, 2016 at 11:45 PM.
Gabriel900 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 12:26 AM   #640
DubaiM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel900 View Post

Now back to topic
Totally agree! A mod should better take care of the rest.

GulfArabia liked this post
DubaiM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
megatall