daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers Discussions of projects under construction between 200-299m/650-999ft tall.
» Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2015, 03:11 AM   #41
abii

Likes (Received): 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Calgary has long been a very wealthy city and it's really starting to show in their skyscraper architecture. It usually takes a generation or 2 of wealth to develop and Calgary is no different in that regard.

I suspect we'll start seeing the same thing 3 hours north in Edmonton.
lol Edmonton should first master the art of street paving. And the city as a whole is pretty dumpy looking. Even with 10 world class towers, Edmonton would still be a blue collar town full of transient oil workers and awful general architecture.

I lived there for 2 years. Moved back to Vancouver in the summer and I can't believe I managed to survive in that city for that long. I've been to Calgary before and it's got a lot of the problems that Edmonton does, but it seems like the people are classier and that the city is actually going somewhere. You don't get the same vibe from the people that you get from Edmonton's transient population. Like Edmonton though, the typical god awful prairie "architecture" and comically bad roads are a concern.

In Vancouver, even the worst neighborhoods still look better than the average prairie neighborhoods. In Edmonton, walking in some of the suburbs, I'd feel like I was walking in the middle of tundra, even though I was only 20 mins away from the core. No bike lanes, no real public transportation, dirty streets, ridiculously bad architecture, no major developments etc...

From the airport, neither city has an actual train to the downtown core lol. You either leg it or take a cab

Calgary will kind of get there one day, but not Edmonton. For now I'm beyond grateful to be back in Vancouver.
abii no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2015, 10:03 PM   #42
Surrealplaces

Likes (Received): 2696

Telus Sky by Construction Mania, on Flickr

Mr Cladding, Ipsala, Marco Polo, Zaz965 liked this post
Surrealplaces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 10:03 PM   #43
Surrealplaces

Munwon, Ipsala, Zaz965, Marco Polo liked this post
Old October 20th, 2015, 04:29 AM   #44
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Incredible, that has to be one of the deepest pits for a skyscraper I have ever seen. It must be at least 7-8 floors underground.

ilovecoffee liked this post
Blue Flame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 03:59 AM   #45
Ipsala

Likes (Received): 33

Nice update pics. That pit is getting deep!
Ipsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #46
Surrealplaces

Telus Sky (constr, 2015.10.13) a small by Spi11, on Flickr

Munwon, Marco Polo, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 24th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #47
tateyb

Likes (Received): 368

Talking Telus Sky with BIG's Thomas Christoffersen

Quote:
The crane has been installed at the site of perhaps the most anticipated new development in Calgary. Vancouver-based Westbank Project Corp has partnered with the innovative Danish architecture firm Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) and local architects DIALOG, who together, have envisioned Telus Sky, a residential-office building rising 59 storeys above Downtown Calgary. To gather insight into the project, SkyriseCities interviewed BIG partner Thomas Christoffersen, who spoke about the design and their relationship with Westbank.

citybooster, Zaz965 liked this post
tateyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 01:21 AM   #48
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

11/15 Now U/C!

Munwon, Seoul_Korea, Marco Polo, Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 02:50 AM   #49
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

1/10

DSC06047 by Paulius, on Flickr

DSC06043 by Paulius, on Flickr

Zaz965, Marco Polo liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 08:12 AM   #50
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

2/03

Old February 7th, 2016, 06:28 AM   #51
w-e-z

Likes (Received): 2

That will certainly make the bow less lonely
w-e-z no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 09:45 PM   #52
tateyb

Likes (Received): 368

Telus Sky Making Its Way Towards Ground Level

Quote:
Planned to rise 221 metres above the intersection of 7th Avenue and Centre Street, the 59-storey mixed-use tower is currently well under construction. After the excavation process was completed in the fall and two cranes were installed in the pit, the first underground concrete levels are now being poured, as seen in the picture below. Once completed in 2017, it will not only become Calgary's third tallest tower, it will also boast a unique design paired with yet-to-be-seen amenities. A nine-storey atrium equipped with wall planters will mark the entrance of the building's office and residential portions, respectively located on floors 4-29 and floors 30-58.
tateyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #53
MKE-MSP-CHI

Likes (Received): 3044

I love Calgary's skyline. Congrats on an amazing addition! I feel like Canadian skylines punch far above their weight. The metro is about 1.3 million, correct? At that size, it's much smaller than metros like Portland, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Cincinnati - and is on par with places like Grand Rapid and Memphis. Yet, Calgary's skyline is absolutely world class. The intention of this post is not to belittle Calgary in any way, but what explains its skyline height, size, and quality?
MKE-MSP-CHI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 07:16 AM   #54
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 708

Cool Under construction ! It best building in canada outside of Toronto.
I m glad that economic slump did not kill this project.

ushahid liked this post
enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #55
hotwheels123

Likes (Received): 316

Scale Model Reveals All Angles of Telus Sky

Quote:
A large scale model inside the Toronto offices of Allied Properties has presented a closer look at one of Calgary's most anticipated and unique developments. Together with Vancouver-based Westbank, Allied is a key partner in the dramatic Telus Sky development, which will reshape the corner of 7th Avenue SW and Centre Street South by injecting residential, office, and retail space into the downtown core.
hotwheels123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 06:01 AM   #56
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10817

221m of awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-MSP-CHI View Post
I love Calgary's skyline. Congrats on an amazing addition! I feel like Canadian skylines punch far above their weight. The metro is about 1.3 million, correct? At that size, it's much smaller than metros like Portland, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Cincinnati - and is on par with places like Grand Rapid and Memphis. Yet, Calgary's skyline is absolutely world class. The intention of this post is not to belittle Calgary in any way, but what explains its skyline height, size, and quality?
Current Canadian urban planning policies encourage density/discourage sprawl, Calgary is growing rapidly/fabulously wealthy, and its the 2nd biggest head office city in the country.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2016, 06:45 AM   #57
linum

Likes (Received): 658

Quote:
221m of awesomeness!

Current Canadian urban planning policies encourage density/discourage sprawl, Calgary is growing rapidly/fabulously wealthy, and its the 2nd biggest head office city in the country.
Toronto is #1 yeah?

Vancouver would be #3................. Montreal doesn't have many head offices yeah?

Seoul_Korea liked this post
linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 09:24 AM   #58
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10817

Quote:
Originally Posted by linum View Post
Toronto is #1 yeah?

Vancouver would be #3................. Montreal doesn't have many head offices yeah?
Toronto #1, Calgary #2, Montreal #3. It's Vancouver that's the big laggard. Almost all of Canada's energy companies are based in Calgary but it also has a growing list of firms from other industries. Montreal was Canada's premier city for most of our history. Montreal lost some big names over the years like Canadian Pacific, Alcan, and Seagrams but is still home to a significant number of big firms like Bombardier, National Bank, Air Canada, Bell, Alimentation Couche-Tard, Saputo, Metro, CAE, Hydro-Quebec, CN, CGI, Power Corporation, Valeant, Molson-Coors, etc.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; June 9th, 2016 at 09:30 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2016, 07:08 AM   #59
linum

Likes (Received): 658

Quote:
Toronto #1, Calgary #2, Montreal #3. It's Vancouver that's the big laggard. Almost all of Canada's energy companies are based in Calgary but it also has a growing list of firms from other industries. Montreal was Canada's premier city for most of our history. Montreal lost some big names over the years like Canadian Pacific, Alcan, and Seagrams but is still home to a significant number of big firms like Bombardier, National Bank, Air Canada, Bell, Alimentation Couche-Tard, Saputo, Metro, CAE, Hydro-Quebec, CN, CGI, Power Corporation, Valeant, Molson-Coors, etc.
Yes I knew Montreal was queen bee for a long time..... and Toronto wasn't.... and then when they kept talking about separating (Quebec) loads of companies left MON and set-up office in Toronto...............
linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #60
Victoria123

Likes (Received): 1768

The Fisher Account, SSP

Tags
calgary, telus sky