daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2009, 01:41 AM   #261
renovatio

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I don't understand how they can build this, do they really need that much space? The South Korean economy is not that large, and this is an office building...
Nice, way to show ignorance about SKorea's economy + the housing patterns in SKorea. South Korea is easily the most densely settled populous and economically developed country with almost half of its citizens living in the metropolitan area of Seoul. Seoul's metropolitan area is more populated than New York's, yet smaller in geographic size.

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #262
mubd
Maglev Bus to Matraville!

Likes (Received): 951

It might be large enough to see from North Korea...or the Ryugyong hotel at least!
mubd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #263
Sukkiri

Likes (Received): 46

Seoul needs more supertalls. A fine project indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mubd View Post
It might be large enough to see from North Korea...or the Ryugyong hotel at least!
You don't want to lower property values ...
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #264
MenMad
Diamond 

Likes (Received): 1

saludos !
MenMad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #265
plasma169

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I don't understand how they can build this, do they really need that much space? The South Korean economy is not that large, and this is an office building...
Are you kidding me right?

South Korea's economy (US $1.5 trillion / 50 million people / $30,000 GDP per capita) is Asia's 4th largest behind China, Japan and India. South Korea's economy was Asia's top 3 a few years ago, but India caught up with them due to their 1.2 billion population.

South Korea is also one of the few Asian countries whose GDP per capita is comparable to Western Europe.

It is a highly developed country sitting on a hugely dense area where 80% of the land is mountainous.

As for Seoul, according to Fortune 500, Seoul's ranked No.6 in the world in terms of having global companies' headquarters. New York is ranked No.5 with 20 global companies based, while Seoul has 13.

Please show off your arrogance some place else.

Last edited by plasma169; November 11th, 2009 at 02:06 PM.
plasma169 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #266
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovatio View Post
Nice, way to show ignorance about SKorea's economy + the housing patterns in SKorea. South Korea is easily the most densely settled populous and economically developed country with almost half of its citizens living in the metropolitan area of Seoul. Seoul's metropolitan area is more populated than New York's, yet smaller in geographic size.
This has NOTHING to do with population. What does that have to do with office space?
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #267
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma169 View Post
Please show off your arrogance some place else.
Alright, now you’re acting like a big jerk. I was just asking. It still doesn’t make sense to me, Dubai has oil wealth, Seoul does not. If their economy is comparable to western standers then these kinds of towers should be too expensive to build.
Old November 12th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #268
brianmoon85

Likes (Received): 388

Let's just stop right there and continue praising this beautiful tower being built from a country once poorer than Ethiopia just under 40 years ago
brianmoon85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #269
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmoon85 View Post
Let's just stop right there and continue praising this beautiful tower being built from a country once poorer than Ethiopia just under 40 years ago
I agree, I like the tower itself. I was just asking for more clarification, I'm not dissing South Korea at all. It is a miracle story and a great country.
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #270
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Likes (Received): 9121

Quote:
This has NOTHING to do with population. What does that have to do with office space?
Quote:
Alright, now you’re acting like a big jerk. I was just asking. It still doesn’t make sense to me, Dubai has oil wealth, Seoul does not. If their economy is comparable to western standers then these kinds of towers should be too expensive to build.
you say office space and then, say money... wtf is your points?

yeah,, Seoul has enough money and needs office space more. ok?
but, if you're not ignorant, you don't say such thing..
even,, Dubai has built so many scrapers with money invested from overseas not just with oil money. actually, Abu Dabi has much more oil, not Dubai..

you just doubt that Seoul or Korea as a big country.. but it is as big as do it way,, don't worry.. hehe..
Mussoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #271
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussoda View Post
you say office space and then, say money... wtf is your points?
Don't size of population and economy generally go hand and hand today? South Korea's economy can only be so large with the number of people it has.

Quote:
yeah,, Seoul has enough money and needs office space more. ok?
but, if you're not ignorant, you don't say such thing..
even,, Dubai has built so many scrapers with money invested from overseas not just with oil money. actually, Abu Dabi has much more oil, not Dubai..
I've criticized Dubai before, they're much more awkward in their approach than South Korea is. No one is ever going to fill all those buildings in Dubai, their committing financial suicide.
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #272
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Likes (Received): 9121

Quote:
Don't size of population and economy generally go hand and hand today? South Korea's economy can only be so large with the number of people it has.

I've criticized Dubai before, they're much more awkward in their approach than South Korea is. No one is ever going to fill all those buildings in Dubai, their committing financial suicide.
funny.. office space, money, and now population ? what is next ?

economy is as big as its population? lol... the stupidest saying I've ever heard.. then make all the countries' economy list just as its population base.. we don't need no more GDP list from now on...

and get the point. Needs build building and draw money from wherever the investers get interested in.

don't waste my time..

Last edited by Mussoda; November 12th, 2009 at 08:41 AM.
Mussoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #273
plasma169

Quote:
I was just asking. It still doesn’t make sense to me, Dubai has oil wealth, Seoul does not. If their economy is comparable to western standers then these kinds of towers should be too expensive to build.
You said it yourself. "If Seoul's economy is comparable to western standards, then these kind of towers should be too expensive to build." - That's your answer for you.

To sum it up, much of Seoul's area has been urbanized so much that they now have no more land to develop. With no more space for development, coupled with relatively high land price (Seoul's land price is ranked No.6 behind London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Copenhagen and Geneva), the developers have no choice but to build it taller, thereby maximizing their profits on a given space.

In addition, the current mayor of Seoul is very conscious about the environmental issues. He wants to get the most out of Seoul's landscape, the river and the mountains when the development is taking place. So, he came up with the master plan called, 'Han River Renaissance Plan'. (A small part of it is shown in this post; http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=301) Basically, it's allowing the developers to build the buildings taller but, in return, require them to contribute the remaining space back to the citizens so that these areas can be turned into parks. It's like throwing one stone to catch two birds; developers can maximize their profit margins while the inhabitants get the less polluted air and more parks.

In addition, Seoul's office vacancy rate, as of now, is less than 2% which is one of the lowest compared to other global cities. Hence, all these factors contribute to Seoul's need for super tall towers.
Old November 12th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #274
plasma169

Quote:

I also agree with your statement about Dubai though. Dubai can build as many towers as possible because most of their investments are backed up by their huge oil money. Instead of investing its revenues on R&D, human resources or technology, Dubai are spending their money on building as many theme parks, towers, luxury apartments as possible to become the global hub of tourism.

As you say, it might be the gamble they're taking. For a city size of only 2.2m, they're building too many towers. Most of them will wind up becoming empty since most of their buildings are for residential and hotel use.

You can't, however, say the same thing to East Asia. For instance, China builds many super tall towers not for their ego, but because their environment makes them build it taller. (One of the fastest growing rate, huge migration of farmers into the city every year, limited space to develop). As for South Korea, their case is a bit different to China though. Contrast to China, it's already a developed country. However, with extremely high land price + one of the most densely populated geography + very low office vacancy rate + the developers/inhabitants/the mayor all agree to the same idea, makes it possible for a need for the super tall towers.

Last edited by plasma169; November 12th, 2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old November 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #275
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

I must say your two last posts was very didactic. As i understood case of chine already, i didn't know some details about koreas one, witch are very interesting. Thanks
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #276
brianmoon85

Likes (Received): 388

Whatever it is, Seoul is getting new office spaces soon and population
I don't think really has to do with how Korea's economy is right now.
There are in fact many things that contributes to the growth.

Some of them that I can thing of on top of my head are:

1) Dedication and Hard-work

2) National Pride

(Koreans are very proud of who we are
and where we stand today in society despite being conquered
by various neighboring countries and suffering Japanese imperalism
and many wars, where else in the world will host an Olympics
only 30 years after a war?)

3) Korean people's "CAN-DO" spirit

(We built Burj Dubai, Petronas Twin Towers, Taipei 101)
(Economy: GDP (PPP) $1.342 trillion (2008)
GDP (PPP) per capita $27,646 (2008)

4) Extremely long working hours (54.7 hours/week)

5) Extremely competitive education system

6) Higly Skilled and Motivated Workforce

(Scientific Literacy: World's 1st)
(Mathematic Literacy: World's 2nd)

6) Confucianist Values (Family values, etc)

7) Christianity and Buddhism

(Korea is the second most Christian
country in Asia after Phillippines and sends out the most missionaries
after the USA)

8) "Irish of Asia"

(Directness, Hard-headed, Passionate loyalty to
their church or religion, melancholy history (history of being under
control of an imperalistic island called Japan), love to drink and smoke,
loves singing and loves to fight)

9) "Italians of Asia"

(Welcoming, Overly-Passionate and Nationalistic, Short Temper, Eat a lot of Garlic, a Peninsula nation, Emotional, Womanizers, Mama's boys, Family bonding, Romance-lovers, thrive on food, expressive when mad)

10) You tell me

Last edited by brianmoon85; November 12th, 2009 at 05:44 PM.
brianmoon85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 10:19 PM   #277
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

Get this ignorant racist troll Onn out of here, he obviously has no business talking economics.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #278
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

A moderator should really come in and delete most of the previous page. What a waste of reading.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #279
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:

What? South Korea has one of the largest, most dymnamic economies on earth they can obviously build anything they like...and I'm pleased that they like supertalls!

Dubai likewise has huge aspirations for being a major world hub like Singapore with a financial center, an incredible airport, a massive harbor, and yes, a whole lot of towers! My only concern for Dubai is that so many other cities want a similar status including a few nearby. We'll see how well they do!
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #280
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10104

this is going to be a great tower. 2nd tallest after burj dubai?

the spire reaches 153rd floor on burj dubai

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2524/...22a1f71b_o.jpg

Last edited by CULWULLA; November 18th, 2009 at 12:23 AM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
megatall