daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2013, 04:27 AM   #21
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

What is the technical advantage of having such a vehicle?

If ridership is so low why does it have to run on the railway anyways? Does it it have to do with there being less friction on rails rather than pavement and energy use?

After the rush hour just run buses from station to station on parallel roads. Same concept, freight railroads have trackmobiles that can drive between shunting jobs on highways because it's more flexible than having conventional shunting locomotives on each siding.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #22
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

How many other launchers lurk around here with yet more uninspiring rhetoric, demanding bright feedback to their lacklustre musings

Within the confined context of your introductory fallacy, it's "thereof", not
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
there of
otherwise, be mindful of your bossiness when :pfft: coaxing any of your respondents to attempt at informing you ...

Last edited by trainrover; July 27th, 2013 at 03:24 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #23
elliot42

Likes (Received): 51

I'm glad this thread exists, as I was thinking about this, and here's my question (though I think it might've been answered):

In st louis there is a street (Gravois), that used to have a streetcar, but no longer. It is fairly wide most of it's length, but it is a diagonal street, that changes direction and elevation periodically, which makes for not so great street car service. However, running smack through the middle of S. st louis, AND intersecting with what is proposed for a new LRT line, it makes perfect sense (to me anyway) for a BRT line.

Now, why a railbus:

In my grand, crazy scheme for expanding rail transit in St. Louis, I propose a line running north under kingshighway from the CWE, hitting the surface at W. florissant, and continuing north to the actual city of florissant. This line is just sort of hanging in space, but, if railbuses could be used, then the gravois BRT could in theory be a railbus, going under Tucker near Clark street and then cutting over to the civic center or union station metrolink tracks, and rejoining the mainline.

IN looking at the map it's a tight fit, so maybe instead the line proposed north and west, which I already have going under tucker, would go to Gravois as a railbus BRT instead of joining the mainline.

Leaving aside the logistics of all that, would not a railbus work?
elliot42 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #24
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

I do not believe these Railbuses can be used on streetcar lines. they are designed to be used on standard railway tracks.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 03:58 AM   #25
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

But why couldn't a rail bus be used on LRT tracks? In NA, LRT typically uses standard gauge track, so the only thing that would prevent a vehicle that could use mainline from using LRT track is if it was too long and block intersections, or too heavy, and damage the track.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 04:28 AM   #26
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

I learned recently that streetcar wheels have a slightly different profile, though if specially designed a tram-train vehicle is possible.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 06:10 AM   #27
Losbp

Likes (Received): 5443

Hmm Indonesia currently operate numerous of Railbus system across the archipelago

TRAIN: RAILBUS KERTALAYA: Palembang – Kertapati

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Railbus Batara Kresna

Credit yulay_cc
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3002635...n/photostream/
Quote:
Originally Posted by aartalent View Post
Railbus Sedang Melakukan Uji Coba Padang-Lubuk Alung

http://arieanviat.blogspot.com/

Transport for Jakarta - FDTJ
Drove in RI AUS NL L B F D CZ A
Losbp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 08:25 AM   #28
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

^ It doesn't look like those vehicles have tires to allow use on a regular road surface unless maybe they're hidden?

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #29
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

It's because in some coutries railbus means just a short train-unit.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #30
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5953

One big advantage of rail-based transit is that it is commonly realized with electrical powered vehicles, meaning you save a lot of pollution from the central urban areas.

This article of Transport Politics seem fairly positive of BRT but still says in an important paragraph this:

Quote:
The best argument for rail is that it has the ability to provide massive rush-hour passenger-carrying capacity without destroying the city through which it runs. Whether buried in a subway or operating quietly along in grassy medians, trains can be integrated into the public realm without diminishing the pedestrian-friendly qualities all urbanists should hope to encourage. BRT boosters often argue that their mode of choice can carry a similar number of riders, but neglect to mention that this is only possible when buses arrive every 10 seconds along highway-like four-lane corridors. These are conditions that destroy the walking environment.
http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...-brt-and-rail/
Old March 9th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #31
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

It's only 50% truth.
If a tram is pedestrian-friendly - then its speed is f***ed up. Besides, nowadays we do have biarticulated buses.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 10:49 PM   #32
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21231

Buses, by the very nature of their mechanics, will always have a lot more lateral motion than trains. Also, they take up more space as they can't pass within inches of each other like a fixed-guided tram. You can solve that issue with "guided bus", but then it becomes a creepy thing and too expensive already.
Old March 9th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #33
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5953

Guided busses have a huge problem. The wear off is concentrated on the very same position, like with trains, but a street is not a rail track. The latter is made for that, for a street such a undistributed wear off causes a lot of problems though and makes more frequent renewal necessary. That is why guided bus systems really aren't the brightest thing.
Old March 11th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #34
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

Guided buses have generally been proven as a failure.

Railbuses are quite different as they use standard gage and can operate on street which gives them a huge advantage in that they can get rid of that dreaded "last mile" which is often what inhibits people taking the train in the first place. When you have to drive to get to a station it sort of defeats the purpose and still requires you to buy a car.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #35
billfranklin
Post and Beam

Likes (Received): 47

The technology will change.

Guided buses do not have to ride on rails nor do they have to have guide ways.

Up to this point, most buses steer via mechanical linkage. This, however, will like increasingly change to computer connected steering wheel to wheel systems.

With such systems, if a wire or anything metal (including rail tracks) is laid down as a guide way, a steering system can automatically compensate for direction via either comparing input to a "table" and or by GPS.

A system could be built easily, IMO, where a bus could follow rail tracks without necessarily having to ride upon them, particularly along stretches without switches. The key would be the width of the axel track being wider than the railroad tracks and putting down a road base between, and, along either side of the tracks.

A similar system could be used on dedicated roadways, also.

Buses could switch off the rail/bus way, and, go onto guide implanted road surfaces, and, or public roads with driver controlled steering.

Such a system would work particularly well in snow free areas.
billfranklin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #36
oknutson

Likes (Received): 0

Railbus Applications

I see a real niche for dual mode rail / road public transit vehicles.

The "last mile" has some merit, but especially in North America, where we do not often have separate commercial rail and commuter rail infrastructure, commercial rail in urban areas can be single track. This makes the timing of trains very impractical. The train in one direction must clear the single track section before another train can use the track in the opposite direction. Using dual mode vehicles could open up a lot of use existing single track commercial rail infrastructure by using the rails in the direction of traffic during rush hour and the road (against rush hour traffic) to return to the railhead. At night the direction would be reversed. Ideally, the rails would connect to an existing commuter line on dual tracks and leave the commuters at a station on that line.

I live in Montreal, and our industrial areas are filled with track spurs, mostly in disuse, that connect back to the main rail lines where the commuter trains run. These rail buses could transport commuters from remote towns (like mine) currently serviced by a train but the frequency is limited due to the single track only, as well as industrial areas, where commuters could get onto a shuttle which would take them through the industrial area.

I just wish there was a product that was ready for the market, because I am sure that we could increase ridership with a system like that.
oknutson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #37
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Shame there isn't a rail bus system or larger passenger rail network. The Rail buses could operate like shuttle services between smaller towns and larger cities like you said. They could also be used to boost off peak mainline service... Most Industrial spurs in North America terminate near the Downtown in rural areas so It would reach a high density population center. I wouldn't make these lines too long , under 50miles is fine... Mainlines & Branches should handle longer journeys...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote