daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #81
BringMe
I Love You, Myself.

Likes (Received): 14277

Brandenburg Gate

One of the most well-known landmarks of Germany. It is located in the western part of the city centre of Berlin, at the junction of Unter den Linden and Ebertstraße, immediately west of the Pariser Platz. One block to the north stands the Reichstag building. The gate is the monumental entry to Unter den Linden, the renowned boulevard of linden trees, which formerly led directly to the city palace of the Prussian monarchs.

It was commissioned by King Frederick William II of Prussia as a sign of peace and built by Carl Gotthard Langhans from 1788 to 1791. Having suffered considerable damage in World War II, the Brandenburg Gate was fully restored from 2000 to 2002 by the Stiftung Denkmalschutz Berlin (Berlin Monument Conservation Foundation).

During the post-war Partition of Germany, the gate was isolated and inaccessible immediately next to the Berlin Wall, and the area around the gate featured most prominently in the media coverage of the opening of the wall in 1989

Napoleon passing through the Brandenburg Gate after the Battle of Jena-Auerstedt (1806)

The Berlin Wall in front of the Brandenburg Gate, shortly before its fall (1989)

image hosted on flickr

Brandenburg Gate front by Julian Dyer, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Brandenburg Gate, Berlin by exfordy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Brandenburg Gate by Solomon Blake, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Brandenburg Gate by matthbooth, on Flickr

Pop Bogdan, Tiaren, entazis, Pod°, Highcliff liked this post
BringMe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #82
BringMe
I Love You, Myself.

Fontaines de la Concorde - Paris

The Fontaines de la Concorde are two monumental fountains located in the Place de la Concorde in the center of Paris. They were designed by Jacques Ignace Hittorff, and completed in 1840 during the reign of King Louis-Philippe. The south fountain commemorates the maritime commerce and industry of France, and the north fountain commemorates navigation and commerce on the rivers of France.

The Maritime Fountain, to the south, closer to the River Seine, represents the maritime spirit of France. Large semi-nude figures supporting the vasque represent the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. Other figures beneath the vasque represent the industries of the sea; Coral, Fish, Shells and Pearls.

The figures are seated in the prow of a ship, the symbol of the City of Paris, and they are surrounded by dolphins spraying water through their nostrils.
Above the vasque, supporting the mushroom-shaped cap, are figures representing the spirits of Maritime Navigation, Astronomy and Commerce. Next to them are swans which spout water into the basin below.
In the basin, tritons and nereids hold fish which spout water upwards to the rim of the vasque.

The Fountain of the Rivers, to the north, closer to the Madeleine church, has large figures supporting the vasque who represent the Rhône River and the Rhine River. The other major figures represent the main harvests of France; Wheat and Grapes, Flowers and Fruit.

The figures above the vasque who support the cap represent the spirits of River Navigation, Agriculture and Industry.

entazis, Pod°, Highcliff, Urbanista1 liked this post
Old August 11th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #83
BringMe
I Love You, Myself.

Oh **** I feel so stupid because I repeated this one :s

Titus-Pullo, Highcliff liked this post
Old August 11th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #84
Motul
Oh Gloria Inaccesible

Likes (Received): 13966

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Why limit it to Europe?

Because the creator of the thread is euro-centric.

︷︸︸ ︷ ︸︷
︷︸

North South Cone, Best Cone.

BringMe, NUMERATZI liked this post
Motul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #85
BringMe
I Love You, Myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motul View Post
Maybe because the subforum is called "European Classic Architecture and Landscapes"?

socrates#1fan, Highcliff, Tiaren liked this post
Old August 11th, 2013, 03:42 PM   #86
Titus-Pullo

Likes (Received): 4108

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringMe View Post
Oh **** I feel so stupid because I repeated this one :s
No problemo, you can change your post by another monument with the Edit/Delete Message button.
Titus-Pullo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #87
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motul View Post
I didn't realize that this was a European sub-forum when I posted my comment. Anyway, it's a great thread.

One thing that has always struck me is that Italy, France, Spain, and Portugal have the best fountains. London has only the one classic fountain in Trafalgar Square (excluding the Italian Gardens fountain in Hyde Park and the one in Regents Park). I wonder why the English never embraced fountains.

Highcliff liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #88
bolg

Likes (Received): 759

Holy Trinity Column, Olomouc

This baroque masterpiece was built in 1716–1754 in honor of the Catholic Church, faith and the end of the plague in Moravia.

Wikipedia

Wikipedia

Wikipedia

Wikipedia

The last one is from inside the inner chapel.
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #89
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Augusta Street Arch - Lisbon, Portugal

The Rua Augusta Arch is a stone, triumphal arch-like, on the northern side of Commerce Square, built to commemorate the city's reconstruction after the 1755 earthquake.

Its construction began in 1775 but this first version, which may not have been completed, would be demolished in 1777, after the beginning of the reign of Queen Maria I and the resignation of the Marquis of Pombal. In 1873 began the construction of the current arch under the project of architect José da Costa Verissimo, having the works been completed in 1875.

It has six columns (some 11 m high) and is adorned with statues of various historical figures. The allegorical group at the top, made by French sculptor Célestin Anatole Calmels, represents Glory rewarding Valor and Genius.

The four statues over the columns, made by Victor Bastos, represent Nuno Alvares Pereira and Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, Marquis of Pombal on the right, and Vasco da Gama and Viriatus on the left. The two recumbent figures represent the rivers Tagus and Douro.

Old August 13th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #90
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I didn't realize that this was a European sub-forum when I posted my comment. Anyway, it's a great thread.

One thing that has always struck me is that Italy, France, Spain, and Portugal have the best fountains. London has only the one classic fountain in Trafalgar Square (excluding the Italian Gardens fountain in Hyde Park and the one in Regents Park). I wonder why the English never embraced fountains.
Mediterranean countries prize water more than their northern counterparts? That could be an explanation.

JohnnyMass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #91
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Monument to King José I - Lisbon, Portugal

Inaugurated in 1775 in the centre of the large U-shapped Commerce Square, this bronze statue, the first monumental statue dedicated to a King in Lisbon, was designed by Joaquim Machado de Castro, Portugal's foremost sculptor of the time.

The king looks loftily to his right; the horse also turns his head slightly into the same direction and his front right hoof is raised. With a firmness devoid of rigidity, rider and horse advance crushing snakes in their path. It was the first equestrian statue to be built in Portugal and also one of the first sculptural monuments dedicated to a living person in the country.

The spatial relationship of the statue with the Augusta Street Arch, intensifies its statement of regal power in a spectacular manner. On its pedestal some allegories represent the action of the Portuguese in Europe and India, with a horse stepping on a vanquished warrior here, and an elephant overcoming slaves there.

Triumph and Fame in human guise accompany these allegorical animals. On the front of the pedestal appear the kingdom’s coat of arms and a bronze medallion representing the Marquis of Pombal. On the opposite side Machado de Castro bound various topics together: the “City in ruins” rescued by “Royal Generosity” with the aid of the “Government of the Republic” inspired by the “Love of Virtue”; the “Commerce” offers its riches; “Architecture” displays a plan of the new city and “Human Providence” is crowned with ears of wheat and firmly clasps a rudder and two keys.

Titus-Pullo, Chimer, entazis, BringMe, Pod° and 2 others liked this post
JohnnyMass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #92
Ditter
Ditter

Likes (Received): 8

very beautiful place. I was there with my family recently.

Ditter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #93
Oslo2022

Likes (Received): 849

Grunwald monument - Krakow, Poland

This monument was designed by Marian Konieczny and erected in 1910 to mark the 500th anniversary of the victory in the battle of Grunwald (one of the largest middle age battles in Europe) over the Teutonic Knights.

http://histmag.org/grafika/Bizancum/...runwaldzki.jpg

The equestrian figure of King Wladyslaw Jagiello is surrounded by figures of the Lithuanian Prince Witold, the defeated Grand Master and Polish and Lithuanian Knights.

In the years that followed, a procession formed annually at the monument on July 15 and proceeded to the Wawel. More generally, after Poland regained its independence in 1918, the monument became the usual starting point of patriotic manifestation in Krakow, also serving as such for tours of Krakow's old town, a practice that continues to this day. Then came the German invasion of September 1939. Having occupied Poland, the Germans could not countenance the continued existence of the monument, both as a symbol of Polish national pride and a painful reminder to the Germans of a stunning defeat. By November, the Germans had surrounded the monument with a palisade of wooden planks hiding it from view. Demolition activities lasted till April 1940, the bronze being conveyed to foundries to be utilized for war equipment, the granite blocks being conveyed to distant sites. Poles made to work on the demolition managed to hide and save King Jagiello's scepter and sword, the coats of arms of Poland, Lithuania and Żmudź (entity corresponding approximately to the current territory of Lithuania), and the head of Grand Duke Witold. With the end of the conflict in 1945 the notion became firm among the citizens of Krakow that the monument must be rebuilt.

It wasn't until 1972 that the reconstruction project got underway. The job was entrusted to sculptor Marian Konieczny, then the Rector of the Academy of Fine Arts in Krakow. Unfortunately, the forms used in casting the bronze effigies were no longer in existence. Accordingly, the effigies had to be recreated. Fortunately, one of Wikulski's assistants, Franciszek Ksawery Black, had left behind to his daughter, Maya Black, a plaster model of the monument and portafolio of sketches and documentations of the original monument. Now, Konieczny and Prof. Wiktor Zin journed to Paris from where following negotiations with Ms. Black, they were able to bring these artifacts back to Krakow. According to Konieczny, the original figures included a lot of fine detail, detail which he omitted making the figures more monumental. He also turned the head of the King slightly to the right and that of the horse slightly to the left. The reconstructed monument was eventually assembled in 1976 and ceremoniously unveiled on October 16 of that year.

http://gfx.mmka.pl/blog/261708/392442.4.jpg

http://s3.flog.pl/media/foto/stach11...983b335e1e.jpg

http://medien.merian.de/fotostrecke/...mal-krakau.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...29686282_n.jpg

JohnnyMass, Roman_P, bolg, Highcliff, entazis and 1 others liked this post

Last edited by Oslo2022; September 24th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
Oslo2022 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #94
bolg

Likes (Received): 759

Magdeburger Reiter, Magdeburg

Unbelievable that none of SSC's resident Germans have posted this yet.

The first equestrian statue north of the Alps, sculpted out of sandstone. Nothing less than spectacular art imo. Can now be found in Kulturhistorischen Museum Magdeburg while a replica stands at Magdeburg's Alten Markt.

Wikimedia

Wikimedia

Wikimedia

Pod°, Highcliff liked this post
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #95
piritello

Likes (Received): 2838

Art of Andrea Ximone. Messina-Italy.

[IMG]http://i43.************/28icahy.jpg[/IMG]

piritello no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #96
Oslo2022

Likes (Received): 849

Fredric Chopin statue - Warsaw, Poland

The Chopin Statue is a large bronze statue of Frédéric Chopin that now stands in the upper part of Warsaw's Royal Baths Park aka Łazienki Park, adjacent to Aleje Ujazdowskie (Ujazdów Avenue).

It was designed in 1907 by Wacław Szymanowski for its planned erection on the centenary of Chopin's birth in 1910, but its execution was delayed by controversy about the design, then by the outbreak of World War I. The statue was finally cast and erected in 1926.

During World War II, the statue was blown up on May 31, 1940. It was the first monument that was destroyed by the occupying Germans in Warsaw. According to local legend, the next day a handwritten sign was found at the site which read: "I don’t know who destroyed me, but I know why: so that I won’t play the funeral march for your leader".

The original mould for the statue, which had survived the war, made it possible to cast a replica, which was placed at the original site in 1958. At the statue's base, since 1959, on summer Sunday afternoons are performed free piano recitals of Chopin's compositions.

The stylized willow over Chopin's seated figure echoes a pianist's hand and fingers.
A 1:1-scale replica of Szymanowski's statue stands in Hamamatsu, Japan. There are also preliminary plans to erect another replica along Chicago's lakefront, in addition to a different sculpture commemorating the artist in Chopin Park, for the 200th anniversary of Chopin's birth (2010). Szymanowski's statue was the world's tallest Chopin monument until the unveiling, on March 3, 2007, of the slightly taller, modernistic bronze in Shanghai, China.

http://www.lazienki-krolewskie.pl/do...ile,chopin.jpg

http://www.lazienki-krolewskie.pl/do...panorama-O.jpg

http://www.estrada.com.pl/dbimage_ga...image_2834.jpg

Highcliff, Urbanista1 liked this post

Last edited by Oslo2022; September 24th, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Oslo2022 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:35 PM   #97
Pod°

Likes (Received): 370

FARO DELLA VITTORIA [1923-1927]
Trieste, Italy

The structure, designed by triestine architect Arduino Berlam, celebrates the Italian victory and commemorates the fallen of the first world war, as testified by the inscription "SPLENDI E RICORDA I CADUTI SUL MARE MCMXV-MCMXVIII" (shine and remind of the fallen on sea 1915-1918).

Highcliff, JohnnyMass, Marco Bruno liked this post

Last edited by Pod°; October 1st, 2013 at 12:11 AM.
Pod° no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #98
Pod°

Faro della Vittoria

Highcliff, JohnnyMass, entazis liked this post

Last edited by Pod°; October 1st, 2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #99
Pod°

Faro della Vittoria

Last edited by Pod°; October 1st, 2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #100
Pod°

Faro della Vittoria

Last edited by Pod°; October 1st, 2013 at 12:13 AM.

Tags
city, europe, european, monument, paris