daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

MELBOURNE | Flinders Street Station Redevelopment

The most important station in Melbourne (and the third busiest in Australia) is falling to bits, even though it is the most iconic symbol of the city. The Government has launched a design competition with entries from some of the biggest architecture companies in Australia and the world. You can have your say on which one you like by voting through the attached URL!

Related article:
Quote:
Flinders Street Station designs revealed
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/fl...723-2qfc5.html

Six ambitious new designs to propel Flinders Street Station into the 21st century will be unveiled to the public today.
The Victorian government is still yet to make any commitment to fund to the redevelopment.
However, if the winning entry is seen through to fruition, the 159-year-old icon will undergo a dramatic facelift that could see it with a secondary school inside and a forest on its rooftop.

A People's Choice Award will allow Victorians to vote on the design they like best, even though popular opinion will have no impact on the final winner of the $500,000 design prize.

Minister for Major Projects David Hodgett instead said the public feedback would be used to refine the design belonging to the final winner.
First place has already been decided by a jury of "prominent people" including Masterchef presenter George Calombaris, but the winner will remain a tightly kept secret until August 8.
The government will have two years to decide if they will implement the endorsed design or, perhaps, whether the winning architect budgeted beyond what they are willing to spend.
"A lot of architect's designs are wonderful things but they still have to be built and be feasible," Mr Hodgett said.
Many of the designs submitted in the competition have similar features, with new hotels, open space, river walks and parks featuring prominently in the plans.
All have made use of the station's lonely and neglected offices and buildings.
Despite the throngs of people that push past each other during peak periods, almost 60 per cent of space is the station is underutilized.
By 2021 the weekly patronage of the historic building is forecast to double to about 400,000, however all of the new visions for the station try to find ways to attract even more people to the Melbourne's main railway station.
From 7am Tuesday Victorians will be able to rate each design out of five stars in four different categories, including transport function and design merit.
To vote on the shortlist visit www.voteflindersst.com.au.
Entry No. 1

NH Architecture (Melbourne)

Entry No. 2

Zaha Hadid (London) + BVN Archtecture (Melbourne)

[/QUOTE]

Entry No. 3

EDUARDO VELASQUEZ + MANUEL PINEDA + SANTIAGO MEDINA (Melbourne)

Entry No. 4

Ashton Raggatt McDougall (Melbourne)

Entry No. 5

John Wardle Architects (Melbourne_ + Grimshaw (London)

http://vote.majorprojects.vic.gov.au...tects-grimshaw

Entry No. 6

Hassell (Melbourne) + Herzog & De Meuron

All photos and videos are publicly accessible from the Major Projects Victoria website. You can find out more and VOTE here:

http://vote.majorprojects.vic.gov.au

guy4versa, Galro liked this post
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:31 PM   #2
spiralout

Likes (Received): 150

I think its worth mentioning what it was originaly meant to look llike with a roof and swanston st side completed

http://broadsideblog.files.wordpress...t__station.jpg

http://www.thecollectormm.com.au/pri...atformRoof.jpg

IMO they should stick to the original
Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3624

ZAHA looks impressive

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 05:14 PM   #4
spiralout

Likes (Received): 150

original design

http://picsandstuff.files.wordpress....ation-2012.jpg

Last edited by spiralout; July 23rd, 2013 at 05:24 PM.
spiralout no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #5
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

Flinders Street Design Competition – My Thoughts

General

n general, I like all the designs but I think each needs some refining to get the best design out of its idea. My opinions are based on watching each entrant’s two minute video plus the pictures posted on here from it.

It seemed that only two entrants though about uses for inside the heritage Admin building which surprised me given talk of a disused ballroom; everyone thought about wider scope of activities within the whole precinct. When assessing the designs I thought that the transport functionality aspect was constant across all designs since the State Government has not given direction of their expected handling capacity in the future; as in how many platforms are required and at what point will the Metro tunnel take pressure off this station.

I appreciate the time, effort and work put in by each entrant to their vision of our great railway station, to define it for this century, and to make it a landmark for Melbourne.

Design A – NH Architecture (Melbourne)

The roof is the first thing that strikes me about this design. I like it but think it will be better with curviness. A lot of modern design in Melbourne comes with acute angles and don’t want too many. The second thing is the shapes in the design: reverse Z + square + triangle which is good feature from a bird’s eye view. The Hamer Hall link improves cross town connectivity but riverside and tram side connectivity is not a strong point; just looks the same as today. It’s a bit of this, bit of that design, the Z shaped building I presume to help pay for the construction, a triangular park with a great view towards Southbank. The Melbourne Room is a good innovation as long as it maintains its adaptability as promised by the entrant. This one sits in the middle of my list.

Design B – Zaha Hadid (London) + BVN Archtecture (Melbourne)

Awesome design! Slick! Reminds me of Frankfurt Airport Hbf completed a few years ago. Don’t think it will win the public though. There’s a lot to love: the flow, the angled building to the river, the curves and the waviness, and the space between the heritage and the modern. It has the openness that interfaces with Fed Square; and the riverside amphitheatre also a feature of design F. Plenty of public space for shopping, cafes and bars. However I was left wondering what was meant to be inside 6 storey building as the video seemed to show a lot of space and little else – the answer is office space, shops and bars. It is also unfortunate that this design blocks the view of the heritage station from Southbank. At platform level we seem to have new floor and the usual furniture, but the choice of white as colour, the spaciousness brings in the light and overall creates a better environment – wonder how it will feel at night? I really like this design for its boldness, and the potential for this (flow) shape to be associated with Melbourne.

Design C – EDUARDO VELASQUEZ + MANUEL PINEDA + SANTIAGO MEDINA (Melbourne)

My favourite! I love the vertical integration, the greenery, the trees and the park. It has the interaction with Fed Square, the riverside transfer connectivity and some flow. The glass roof provides some shelter when wet. Love the courtyard theme when you enter the station, where you swipe your train ticket, and at platform level; it brings the park into the railway station! The parkland continues west through the so called urban forest and into the west end. The railway museum inside the Admin building is a good idea, but I think the idea of the station market as in design F is better as it would bring more regular visitors. The architects have thought about how it looks at night too. The only concern I have is about the brown building at the west end. What is its use? Just like design B I think apartments, shops, cafes. I don’t mind the shape and location of the brown building but it could be a better building – what about colour and style continuation with the Admin building and its bricky creamy colour? Just love the integration between station and park with an open top.

Design D – Ashton Raggatt McDougall (Melbourne)

What are these guys thinking?? This is a railway station not a high school and will easily confuse tourists. Bit sceptical of the basketball court, heaps of places around the city to build a basketball court, don’t need one there. I love the roof with colourful gardens and birdlife on top but wonder will the cockatoos and rosella come to the party; how will the roof look without colourful plant life and birdlife? On the riverside I love the green walls and green support structures. It will be a very pleasant walk along there but nowhere to bring a boat alongside. Shelter all the way to the tramway is comforting as long as Swanston Bridge remains closed to traffic. The best thing I like about this proposal is the roof from under it; however it feels like Spencer St on the ground with concrete platforms, no greenery, and the curvy bubbly nature of the roof.

Design E – John Wardle Architects (Melbourne_ + Grimshaw (London)

This is perhaps my least favourite out of the designs. Compared to the other this design comes across to me as without a wow factor. Maybe this is what the people of Melbourne really want so it’s the winner. I can see more London in this design than Melbourne, especially with the brickwork of the vaults. The arches sloping north east could funnel the winds through into the station precinct on a cold day which would be counterproductive to feeling good inside the station. Maybe the arches could slope northwest. The park on top is really nice and big, maybe an ideal spot to launch a hot air balloon, but I think the park in Design C is better. The attempt at connectivity between river way and railway station is really good. The idea of the design museum is not bad but do we need it at the railway station? The eastern entrance is spacious and kind of represents an expansion of Fed Square west into the station. The decision to strategically reposition the main concourse in to the centre of the station is probably a positive overall but takes away from tramway connectivity at Swanston St. How will the station look at night?

Design F – Hassell (Melbourne) + Herzog & De Meuron

My third favourite - love the design of the roof in trying to keep with the original station design. The whiteness makes the station feel light, airy, spacious and welcoming even with multiple half-tubes running the length of the roof. At platform level it seems a bit like Spencer St (like design D) but at least according to the renders the platform floors are remade. The small riverside amphitheatre is a great idea to watch an up and coming band or read a book in the sun and according to the video opens up with views of both the city and Southbank. I love the market under the roof at the western end and though wouldn’t it be nice if the Queen Victoria Market moved down here if it is practical. The art gallery area of temporary exhibitions would be an addition to the design of the station, from the market it would be nice to wander down there. Tram side and riverside connectivity is the same as design A.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

I seem to like bits and pieces of all of them but none are perfect.

The more I look at it, design C is becoming my favourite but I can't see it being a viable option to build. The NH design is my 2nd fav but the bridge is both an unnecessary cost and visual distraction on an already crowded part of the river.

The Zara Hadid design does little to interact with the heritage building and seems to overpower it. Maybe that could be something to go in docklands or Federation Square East but not sure it's right for this site.
Old July 28th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #7
SimsPlanet2

Likes (Received): 278

I think I like all of them, but Zaha is stunning.
SimsPlanet2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #8
tiggyinmelbs

Likes (Received): 86

Zaha Hadid (London) + BVN Archtecture (Melbourne)
tiggyinmelbs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #9
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

I like all of them especially the # 2 , 3 , and 6 proposals . (number sequence based on the OP)
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #10
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
ZAHA looks impressive
Perhaps for a new project. But even then it's less impressive than any average Chinese small town railway station project in the recent years.

But here the idea is not to pick the most impressive project on its own, I think the essential part of this project is not to be rude to heritage but to keep the old station as the dominating structure while updating the railway moment. Also proper river relationship should be created.

Thus the Hassell + Herzog & De Meuron project is the best. Additionally it's the only one that doesn't look like a shopping mall or a suburban business center. It looks like a classic train station.

EDUARDO VELASQUEZ project is a good idea, placing park above the tracks, but the overall design is too busy and looks like it landed from the 1980s or before.

John Wardle Architects is also interesting, but a bit confusing and has too many new objects that could overshadow the existing structure.

Ashton Raggatt McDougall and NH Architecture are just mediocre at best.

I agree the original design is better than everything proposed here.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #11
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16027

This is how these projects would actually look like

John Wardle Architects + Grimshaw

Ashton Raggatt McDougall

HASSELL + Herzog & de Meuron

Eduardo Velasquez + Manuel Pineda + Santiago Medina

NH and Zaha didn't bother to share the elevations. No wonder with Zaha, surely she doesn't want that monstrosity seen in perspective.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #12
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

The Hassell + H&dM proposal wins!

The Flinders Street Station Winning Proposal / HASSELL + Herzog & de Meuron

from archdaily.com | Source:
http://www.archdaily.com/413042/the-...and-de-meuron/

Quote:
The winning proposal for the Flinders Street Station competition comes from HASSELL + Herzog & de Meuron. The design integrates the station with the surrounding urban context, which has evolved and changed significantly since the building was designed 100 years ago. The station concept draws from many aspects – the site’s historic fabric, location, and linear nature; the original 19th century design and existing heritage fabric; the river and city edge, rail, public and river-based operations as well as the station’s place within the city fabric and public realm. More images and architects’ description after the break.

Courtesy of HASSELL + Herzog & de Meuron From the Architect. This proposal updates the station for the 21st Century, turning it from a place to hurry through to a destination. The overall design merit of the proposal can be seen in a new, major public art gallery, public plaza, amphitheatre, marketplace, and a permanent home for arts and cultural festival organisations. But we have also delivered the glory of the first 19th Century design for Flinders Street Station.
Courtesy of HASSELL + Herzog & de Meuron Transport function is greatly improved, with new or improved concourses making it easier to get in and out. New weather-proof vaulted roofs flood the platforms with dappled, natural light and ventilation. Taxi ranks are relocated to Flinders Street and the tram stop between the station and Federation Square redesigned to improve the connection across St Kilda Road. A bike path under the station through the old western concourse links cycle ways on the river and Elizabeth Street.
Courtesy of HASSELL + Herzog & de Meuron The cultural heritage and iconic status of the station is protected, with the built fabric that most people are familiar with – the Flinders Street building and corner entrance pavilion – are both retained, and paintwork returned to the original colors.
Courtesy of HASSELL + Herzog & de Meuron The vaulted roofs that greatly improve the passenger experience are inspired by features of the original design that were never realized. The new elements, particularly the Oceanic and Contemporary Art Gallery, enhance the station’s iconic status.
Courtesy of HASSELL + Herzog & de Meuron The proposal eases many of the pedestrian bottlenecks of the existing station. It also caters for the impact on the station of growth in passenger numbers, changes to patterns of interchange that will occur through further urban densification, growth of Southbank and the introduction of the new Metro Link. The station platforms will be extended to accommodate new rolling stock. Where possible, tracks will be realigned to allow platforms to be widened while retaining minimum track clearances. This will provide width to accommodate new escalators and lifts on the platforms.
Old August 10th, 2013, 03:26 AM   #13
little universe
A Living Sculpture

I genuinely like the amphitheatre in that proposal. It'll make to a new meeting point choice list in melbourne...ohhhh...and an idea place to watch the New Year's Eve fireworks too (along with the Feds Square and the Docklands)!

I love Beijing TiananMen, Rising Sun upon it.
I love Beijing ChaoyangMen, Rising Skyscrapers beyond it!

little universe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 03:30 AM   #14
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Me too A Great design overall .
Old August 11th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #15
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

It wasn't one of my favourite designs. I think the new arches is a good idea - but instead of having 6 or 7 of them, they should have 3 or 4 large ones with an impressive height.

The amphitheatre is a good idea though. It'd be used lots for special events.

FSS as it stands is pretty terrible. It's very historic and much of the old building is crumbling. I really hope they redevelop the tunnels underneath, they have a lot of character and heritage. Great Victorian tile and stone work.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Y90iQauC3V...+St+subway.jpg

bozenBDJ liked this post
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #16
jaysonn341

Likes (Received): 332

I like the NH or Hassell design. Zaha's design looks like something that could be built in Beijing, but not in Melbourne.
jaysonn341 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #17
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 19500

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post

Entry No. 6

Hassell (Melbourne) + Herzog & De Meuron

All photos and videos are publicly accessible from the Major Projects Victoria website. You can find out more and VOTE here:

http://vote.majorprojects.vic.gov.au

seems nice... but others projects looks better
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #18
plotstyle
1+1=1

Likes (Received): 14

May never happen

http://www.architectureanddesign.com...street-station