daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #1
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12361

Churches and Cathedrals of England (six pictures per post)

well i thought i'd start this.... ely cathedral also known as the ship of the fens, famed for the front cover of the division bell by pink floyd... one of my favourite buildings anywhere in the world. the octagon is a unique gothic dome, the only structure of its sort anywhere in the world.

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:08 PM   #2
gothicform
Bossman

well as no one else is playing here's another cathedral... this is st edmundsbury cathedral in england, built next to what was at one time the greatest church in europe. the tower was only built in the last decade and work actually continues on the cloisters today

Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:09 PM   #3
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

What's the tower vault made of? Painted steel?
Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:32 PM   #4
gothicform
Bossman

i would imagine that it's plaster over wood as we traditionally use. the vaulted ceiling was only completed in 2010.

this is what the abbey looked like, sadly it was destroyed in the reformation. it was the only church in the whole of christianity that didn't answer to the local archbishop but only directly to rome.

Highcliff, Touzq liked this post
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #5
JohnnyMass
Whatever

I asked because a steel frame is clearly seen behind the vault. The original abbey looked spectacular before its destruction! It would be, for sure, one of England's greatest had it survived untill today.
Old August 4th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #6
gothicform
Bossman

ahhh yes so it is. i think the tower would have steel frame there, it's a modern structure, they didn't use old techniques i'd expect the tower to be steel and they just added a stone facade. the tower vault is probably hung off the that.

apparently the tower only cost £2 million, a sum i don't believe, but no matter how little it cost they did some pretty efficient techniques. elsewhere in the church if you walk around the cloisters they haven't finished vaulting that yet and you can see the modern ceiling where vault isn't and again they just hang the vault off it.

i found this article on it -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content..._feature.shtml

it seems to be entirely oak, not plaster so i was wrong. really surprised they didn't plaster it but their jigsaw rationale makes sense and it must be so much easier to cut wood precisely these days than it was 500 years ago. these days we like to prefab stuff off site and move it in, rather than spend a decade hanging from the ceiling creating it in situ.

and here are some photos of the inside -
http://www.favaliant.co.uk/completed...thedral-tower/

Highcliff liked this post
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #7
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Thanks for the info!
Old August 15th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #8
gothicform
Bossman

still no one else posting pics of churches... bah!

well here's the church of st peter and st paul in lavenham. lavenham is a village in england that consists almost entire of tudor era architecture. it's been used extensively in films ranging from the infamous witchfinder general starring vincent price to stanley kubrick's barry lydon and some of the harry potter movies.

the church is huge for a parish church reflecting the wealth of the place in tudor times as one of the centres for cloth trading in europe

JohnnyMass, Highcliff, TimothyR liked this post
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #9
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Well, you're doing a great job! Carry on old chap!

gothicform, Black Cat, Highcliff liked this post
JohnnyMass no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #10
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2088

I will post Wells Cathedral. I love that magnificent church. I spent a month in Wells and visited the cathedral as often as possible.

I know my post may be deleted because of the 'six post' requirement, but I would like to place it here anyway and take the risk:

http://www.travelviauk.com/wp-conten...England-UK.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...terior_101.jpg

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis

gothicform, Highcliff, JohnnyMass, Pod° liked this post

Last edited by TimothyR; September 6th, 2013 at 03:54 AM.
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #11
TimothyR
Ike

The glorious Salisbury Cathedral. The first time I saw it, rising over Salisbury Plain, my breath was taken away. A masterpiece:

http://www.imagenzone.net/fondos-de-...-Salisbury.jpg

And I will include Constable's charming and evocative painting:

http://www.artandcointv.com/imageUpl...asters/JC2.jpg

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Highcliff, JohnnyMass, Pod° liked this post
Old September 6th, 2013, 04:14 AM   #12
TimothyR
Ike

Here is a Cathedral I would love to visit one day - and I will be sure to. I will give its proper title: The Cathedral Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Lincoln

It is not just a masterpiece. It is many masterpieces. I will be sure to have time to look over the details - and I'm sure it still won't be enough,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...t_adjusted.JPG

http://www.orthodoxartsjournal.org/w...-Cathedral.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HctVlswOVO...PicFromPro.JPG

This is moving and fascinating: the Gallery of the Kings:

http://d1ezg6ep0f8pmf.cloudfront.net...lery-kings.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...y_of_Kings.jpg

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Highcliff, JohnnyMass, Pod° liked this post
Old September 6th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #13
TimothyR
Ike

A particular favorite of mine. St Martin in the Fields on Trafalgar Square in London

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ds_Night_1.jpg

I came across this article about the renovation and expansion of the cathedral. It is dated from 2009. I didn't know - another reason to return.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/a...spiration.html

http://www.londonminiguide.com/wp-co...the-fields.jpg

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis

Highcliff, Roy Corduroy liked this post

Last edited by TimothyR; September 6th, 2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #14
build_higher

Likes (Received): 45

Seeing as cathedrals and churches are really 'my thing' I think I'll post a couple. First, probably my favourite: Peterborough Cathedral.

One of the larger cathedrals in the UK and one of the most frequently forgotten about by the guides. One of the most magnificent west fronts in the world, the largest medieval painted ceiling of it's type in the world (over 200 feet & painted in the 13th century), with an experimental fan-vaulted east end that was replicated in King's college Cambridge and some of the most tasteful (IMO) Victorian additions to a Norman building in the UK. Hope you like it as much as I do!

image hosted on flickr

Peterborough Cathedral by Art History Images (Holly Hayes), on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Peterborough Cathedral by martin97uk, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Peterborough Cathedral by Ben Levitt, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Tower by haberlea, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Peterborough Cathedral Ceiling by lofaesofa, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Peterborough Cathedral's Altar by willp0rter, on Flickr
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #15
build_higher

Next is St Augustine of Hippo, Edgbaston. Designed by J.A. Chatwin, assistant to Sir Charles Barry (architect of the Houses of Parliament) and consecrated in 1868, St Augustine's has the tallest spire in Birmingham at 185 feet (completed in 1877). The church contains many fine fixtures & fittings with stained glass by Hardman & Co. and many carvings by John Roddis, including a carved reredos showing the Last Supper, based on Leonardo Da Vinci's fresco. It's surrounding area really isn't what most people think Birmingham looks like!

image hosted on flickr

Harborne Railway Walk 2/08 (bt54) by Ted and Jen, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

St Augustines Church HDR - Edgbaston - Birmingham by Thumbs Footage, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Chancel Ceiling by Aidan McRae Thomson, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

St Augustine's Edgbaston by Richard Stephens Taylor, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

East Window, Crucifixion by Aidan McRae Thomson, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

5771 by benbobjr, on Flickr

TimothyR, JohnnyMass liked this post
build_higher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #16
build_higher

One more... St Mary & St Barlock, Norbury, Derbyshire. Begun around 1300 and completed over the next 200 years, this church was built by the Fitzherbert's, the Lords of Norbury and is located directly next to Norbury Manor. There is much early stained glass from between 1300 & 1500, especially in the chancel. There are also several impressive alabaster memorials to members of the Fitzherbert family. Both this church and the church of Somersal Herbert nearby are particularly notable for how quiet and peaceful they are, both being down very narrow country lanes and hidden from the (very quiet) nearby roads by mature trees.

image hosted on flickr

Norbury Church by gwpics, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Chancel, Norbury Church, Derbyshire by goldsally, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Norbury, Derbyshire by Sheepdog Rex, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Norbury, Derbyshire by Sheepdog Rex, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Norbury double tomb by English Journeys, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Norbury Church, Saint Mary and Saint Barlok by speccy_beardy, on Flickr

TimothyR liked this post
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #17
TimothyR
Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by build_higher View Post
Seeing as cathedrals and churches are really 'my thing' I think I'll post a couple. First, probably my favourite: Peterborough Cathedral.

One of the larger cathedrals in the UK and one of the most frequently forgotten about by the guides. One of the most magnificent west fronts in the world, the largest medieval painted ceiling of it's type in the world (over 200 feet & painted in the 13th century), with an experimental fan-vaulted east end that was replicated in King's college Cambridge and some of the most tasteful (IMO) Victorian additions to a Norman building in the UK. Hope you like it as much as I do!
I have never heard of this cathedral!
Thank you - very beautiful. The ceiling is magnificent.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

-Novalis
Old September 18th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #18
build_higher

Glad you like it!

I'll post a few more....

St Michael and All Angels, Great Witley

Formerly the private chapel of Witley Court, which belonged to the Lords Foley and then the Earls of Dudley, which burned down in 1937. The church is one of the best examples of Italian Baroque architecture in the UK, with some lovely guilded ceiling paintings by Antonio Bellucci. There are also several large painted glass windows by Joshua Price from 1719-1721 as well as a large carved monument by Rysbrack. It also has an organ upon which Handel played.

image hosted on flickr

Great Witley by flash of light, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

St. Michael and All Angels Church, Great Witley by Peter-snottycat, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

St. Michael and All Angels Church, Great Witley by Peter-snottycat, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Great Witley East Window by David Cronin, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Witley Church Ceiling by Canis Major, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

St Michael and All Angels Church, Great Witley, Worcestershire by martin97uk, on Flickr

JohnnyMass, TimothyR, Roy Corduroy liked this post
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #19
build_higher

Next is Crowland Abbey. The building left today was rebuilt from the burnt ruins of the former abbey in around 1170. It was a very large Benedictine Monastery, with a 9-bay nave 183 feet long by 87 wide, a central tower, a separate bell-tower and a 90 foot long choir. Large sections, including the west front, were modelled on Wells Cathedral. The monastic buildings were destroyed with the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539 and the rest of the damage to the church was done when the town was captured by Oliver Cromwell in 1643. The section of the church currently in use is the former north isle, which was always used as the parish church of the town, even when the full building was still in use as a monastery.

image hosted on flickr

Crowland Abbey by \/\/ander, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Crowland Abbey by Andrew Farren, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Crowland Abbey, Lincolnshire, historic market town. by kitmasterbloke, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Crowland Abbey, Lincolnshire, historic market town. by kitmasterbloke, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Interior of the Crowland Abbey by haberlea, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Crowland Abbey Altar & East Window by Baz Richardson (now away until 20 September), on Flickr

JohnnyMass, TimothyR liked this post
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #20
build_higher

St Giles', Cheadle is the church in which Augustus Pugin really demonstrated his mature style, developed after he had visited the Sainte Chapelle in Paris. The design was laid out in 1841 and the building was completed and consecrated in 1846. The design and building of the church was largely funded by Pugin's patron, the 16th Earl of Shrewsbury. It is perhaps the greatest example of the English Gothic Revival style, with the entirety of the exterior, interior and fixtures and fittings of the building being designed by one man and his team. Pugin's team comprised of many of the greatest talents in sculpture and art of the period, including the sculptor Thomas Roddis. This is one that really needs more the 6 photos, but I'll be good and stick to the rules!

image hosted on flickr

St Giles' Catholic Church, Cheadle, Staffs by Sheepdog Rex, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

St Giles RC Church, Cheadle, Staffordshire - by Pugin by Baz Richardson (now away until 20 September), on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

St Giles RC Church, Cheadle, Staffordshire - by Pugin by Baz Richardson (now away until 20 September), on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

St Giles' Church Cheadle by rogbi200, on Flickr

TimothyR, Phobos, Roy Corduroy liked this post