daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #2161
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7469

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #2162
PortoNuts

Jubilee line stock at Stratford.

by looper23 on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Old June 5th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #2163
PortoNuts

Old June 6th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #2164
PortoNuts

Bermondsey

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9858754...n/photostream/
Old June 6th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #2165
PortoNuts

edit
Old June 6th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #2166
PortoNuts

Old June 6th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #2167
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

The rail transport network over there has coverage to numerous points. Very extensive coverage

With that said though, my only worry so far is just one thing:
Getting from Paddington station to King's Cross/St. Pancras

Trains to and from Wales are at Paddington but trains bound for Scotland are at King's Cross/St. Pancras

My worry is with regards to encountering overcrowding when going to and from those two stations whilst carrying heavy luggage.

I've seen the official map as well
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

I've counted and so far:
Paddington -> Edgware Road -> Baker Street -> Great Portland Street -> Euston Square -> King's Cross St. Pancras Train Station

Total of six stations - two stations = four stations in-between our journey.

The thing is I want to know what happens in those four stations.

Any thoughts and opinions or help on this?

Thanks
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #2168
sotonsi

Wales - Scotland (and generally any journey not involving London or the SE) tend to use trains via Birmingham.

Also, having done a Paddington - St Pancras interchange (on a Southampton - Wellingborough journey), the Paddington - St Pancras train had seats to spare, whereas I left my train north out of London with people still standing, with it starting off crush-loaded.

If you look at congestion data, then the Circle line from Paddington to Kings Cross is busy at peak hours, but nowhere near as busy as many sections of line. Also journeys that don't begin or end in the London area are a drop in the ocean when it comes to rail traffic in London - it's only really direct ones done on Thameslink that are busy flows - the change across London is off putting.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #2169
PortoNuts

Old June 7th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #2170
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Wales - Scotland (and generally any journey not involving London or the SE) tend to use trains via Birmingham.

Also, having done a Paddington - St Pancras interchange (on a Southampton - Wellingborough journey), the Paddington - St Pancras train had seats to spare, whereas I left my train north out of London with people still standing, with it starting off crush-loaded.

If you look at congestion data, then the Circle line from Paddington to Kings Cross is busy at peak hours, but nowhere near as busy as many sections of line. Also journeys that don't begin or end in the London area are a drop in the ocean when it comes to rail traffic in London - it's only really direct ones done on Thameslink that are busy flows - the change across London is off putting.
Ah I see.

This was one of the reasons why Hilton Paddington Hotel keeps popping up on top of my list so far.

Imagine this. When you reach the airport, all you need is to travel via Heathrow Express train then you are in the main area in less than 30 minutes. To be more exact, it stops at Paddington Station itself. All you need to do is just walk with your luggage from Paddington station to the nearby Hilton hotel and you're done.

The convenience aspect gives it a huge advantage. Sure, we could've considered Mariott Canary Wharf (the area is newer and is not cramped/congested) or the-upcoming Shangrila Hotel @ Shard London Bridge Tower (the tallest hotel in all of European Union).

However the distance between Paddington to those stations.......as well as facing concerns of congestion and overcrowding (esp. in worst-case scenarios where trains are 'packed like sardines')

Just my thought. Need some advice and opinions on this as well....
Old June 7th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #2171
sotonsi

It depends on when you arrive at Heathrow, what engineering works and events there are and unforeseen things suspensions (Saturday I did Covent Garden to Marylebone: as the Victoria was closed, the Piccadilly was massively rammed; as the Jubilee was suspended, the Bakerloo was likewise rammed and when I got to Marylebone I was met by hoards of people entering the tube network from both the Cricket at Lords (with the Jubilee suspended, Marylebone is the nearest tube station) and the Football at Wembley coming down the steps and I was glad that I wasn't about to go on the Bakerloo line). Then again, it wasn't massively bad, but if I had luggage, I wouldn't have got on the trains easily as the lines were carrying the passengers of two lines.

Don't rule out the Piccadilly line for getting from Heathrow (it's a lot cheaper than HEx and Heathrow Connect), or the coach to Victoria, or the bus to Feltham and the train to Waterloo.

It's worth pointing out that Paddington is only dubiously in the main area and, for a tourist, it's as far away from the main places you'd want to go as Canary Wharf.

If you arrive in Central London outside peak hours on a weekday, there shouldn't be much of a problem with congestion on the tube making it difficult with luggage and there's simple, easy routes to all three locations and it's factors like cost, location, niceness of hotel and such that matter.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #2172
PortoNuts

Old June 7th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #2173
PortoNuts

Old June 8th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #2174
PortoNuts

Old June 8th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #2175
PortoNuts

Quote:
More bins on London Underground for a tidier Tube

London Underground (LU) has launched a campaign, in partnership with the Mayor of London, Metro newspapers and Keep Britain Tidy, to encourage Tube customers to dispose of their litter. An extra 25% more bins have been installed which means there is now access to a bin on any journey on the Tube. The aim is for a tidier and more pleasant Tube to travel in and to help LU to recycle more waste.

The campaign, part of the Mayor Boris Johnson’s commitment to make travelling in London more civilised, will run across the Tube network, in conjunction with Metro newspaper and Keep Britain Tidy. It will encourage passengers to use the 1,600 plus bins that are in, or within walking distance of, the 270 Tube stations.

To help, LU has recently installed an additional 166 bins on the network, taking the total to 800 and making it easier for customers to get rid of their rubbish. LU regularly monitors stations to ensure that high levels of cleanliness are maintained and recent figures have shown an improvement at over 70% of the stations where the new bins have been installed.

Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London said: “Time and again passengers have said they want more bins so they can dispose of their rubbish and that’s exactly what we’ve done. We can all do our bit to ensure we use these sparkling new bins, which will mean a more pleasant journey to work and a great first impression of London for tourists to the capital.”

Richard Parry, Strategy and Commercial Director, London Underground, said: “We know that our customers appreciate a litter free Tube and we have an army of cleaners who regularly patrol the network collecting rubbish. However we also believe that providing more bins will make it easier for our customers to get rid of their rubbish and over the last few months have increased the number of bins on the network by 25%.

“All rubbish placed in any of our stations bins is sorted and we recycle everything that we can. Over the years LU has made every effort to recycle waste and we now recycle over two thirds of rubbish left on the Tube network.”

John Leitch, Executive Director at Metro, said: “We want to support green behaviour among our readers and increase the amount of recycling by Tube travellers. It’s fantastic to be working with London Underground to achieve this and we’re delighted that they are using Metro’s innovative design in this campaign.”
http://www.rail.co/2011/06/08/more-b...a-tidier-tube/
Old June 8th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #2176
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
stuff
Hmm.......good point

But I figured that Heathrow Express would be our choice. It's the most expensive yes but it is also the fastest of the bunch. And since it's the most expensive, the Airport->Paddington journey will not be a problem for me and you will always have a vacant seat each and every time

I gotta say that Hilton was smart to put up a location on Paddington train station. They've already anticipated (I'm guessing even before Heathrow had rail connections) that most overseas tourists and travelers taking the journey from Heathrow airport to the city would land at Paddington.......and yes Hilton saw it. They can corner that market because their location offers convenience (Heathrow->Paddington->Hilton Paddington hotel). You do not have to travel further whilst carrying your luggage when going to hotels in other areas.

Sure, it may not be as new as Mariott Canary Wharf or Shangrila Hotel London Bridge..........but the convenience aspect favors Hilton

@sotonsi
Oh and I guess I don't have to worry about time since my future trip would be in this pattern:
England (London)->Scotland (Glasgow and Edinburgh)->Wales (Cardiff)->Northern Ireland (Belfast)->Republic of Ireland (Dublin)

then

Dublin Airport->Heathrow Airport->Keflavik Airport Iceland

yeah time won't be much of a problem I guess in this regard
Old June 8th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #2177
PortoNuts

Old June 9th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #2178
PortoNuts

Old June 9th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #2179
PortoNuts

Quote:
We've been going round in circles: Tube map adds to journey times

Passengers have called for a system of dots representing distance to be introduced on the London Tube map to help plan their journeys.

Research has shown that up to 30 per cent of people using Harry Beck's map end up taking longer than they need because the map ignores above-ground distances between stations.

In a new study called Mind the Map, New York University professor of urban planning Zhan Guo compared the journeys made by Tube passengers with routes the travel time data showed they "should" have made. He compared the journey between Bond Street and Paddington stations - a trip with two potential routes, the first via Baker Street and the second through Notting Hill Gate.

The second route is slower, but about 30 per cent of travellers chose it. He wrote: "Passengers often (mis)trust a transit map more than their actual experience; they often take a path that looks shorter on the system map but is longer in reality."

Jason Perks, 40, visiting London from Dubai, said: "It's deceptive because sometimes it looks very far between Tube stations when they're right next to each other. Dots to indicate speed and distance on the map would help." But student Georgia Coates, 21, said: "It's a bit confusing.

I normally calculate the fastest route by the number of stops. I have no idea what would make it simpler." Yasmin Bemath, 42, from Kent, said: "They should have more codes. I'm not sure people are that bothered about distance - as long as the trains are running on time they're happy."

The map that messes with reality

Professor Zhan Guo used the journey from Paddington to Bond Street station, shown, to demonstrate one of the problems with the Tube map. In his book Notes from a Small Island, author Bill Bryson suggested a slightly more fun version: take tourists to Bank station and tell them to make their way by Tube to Mansion House.

While they are following Harry Beck's map - which involves going by Central line to Liverpool Street, then transferring to the Circle line and going five stops - you can have breakfast and do a little light shopping before walking the 200 feet or so along Victoria Street to meet them at, yes, Mansion House. Or try Temple to Aldwych - hours of fun!
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-in-circles.do
Old June 10th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #2180
PortoNuts

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground