daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2005, 05:01 AM   #201
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3670

Barcelona old metro map was similar to London Underground map.
Now it's a bit different!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #202
jetsetwilly

Likes (Received): 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmiler
Amsterdam should not need permission, if the map is their own. OK, the concept may be copied from London but that is different.
If I remember rightly, the Dutch designers actually visited London and worked with London Transport's designers to come up with their map. So the acknowledgement is probably part of that.
jetsetwilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:44 PM   #203
spsmiler

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetwilly
If I remember rightly, the Dutch designers actually visited London and worked with London Transport's designers to come up with their map. So the acknowledgement is probably part of that.
Thanks. That would explain why - and I suppose would be a good reason for doing this.

Simon
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #204
spsmiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cee_em_bee
Glasgows network is HUGE for such a small city.
Ah but this is not just a "city" railway.

It is a "regional" railway system serving many other towns & villages too.

Simon
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #205
Mojito
kejje nagaan!

Likes (Received): 3206

In addition to Vertigo, this is the last (september 2004) version of the Amsterdam Metro Map. It shows the extension of line 51 to Amstelveen Westwijk, the landmarks and other buildings on the map are removed and some colours are changed.

Mojito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #206
spsmiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPtoMKE
Well, i found my way to your website, but i couldn't seem to find the map. Care to post it? I always like to see maps drawn by forumers.
There are two versions of the map.

On one the "station" names change colour when you roll your mouse over them. This was created in Macromedia "Fireworks" and on the web page is actually composed of many small images.

To see this map visit this page..

http://www.garden.force9.co.uk/Var.htm

--------------

the other version is a solid gif and is used on the main index pages.

To see this map visit this page..

http://www.garden.force9.co.uk/DHTML.htm

the image pop-ups come from a script I found on the dynamic drive website

the same map is also used on an alternative page for people who use web browsers which cannot "see" fancy DHTML effects

http://www.garden.force9.co.uk/Nondhtml.htm

this version of the map should also appear below.

---------
Note that the website is still incomplete and some images are still missing. Next month I will be going to Germany to obtain certain images which I need and hopefully the site will be 99.9% completed by August.

Thanks for your interest.

Simon

Last edited by spsmiler; June 9th, 2005 at 01:01 PM. Reason: change message
spsmiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #207
get13

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmiler
Ah but this is not just a "city" railway.

It is a "regional" railway system serving many other towns & villages too.

Simon
The map above is of the Glasgow metropolitan area railway network.

This map is of the city centre rail and the subway:

Last edited by get13; June 9th, 2005 at 11:40 PM.
get13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #208
Postuh
Post'er'

Likes (Received): 0

Nice Pictures....
Almost for a travel guide or something

Last edited by Postuh; June 13th, 2005 at 09:12 PM.
Postuh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:24 AM   #209
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18176

Tube repair delays 'may cost £14m'
21 June 2005
Evening Standard

Delays in modernising the London Underground could cost Tube contractor Metronet £14 million, it has emerged.

Metronet has set aside the cash to cover the financial impact of the potential late delivery of station improvements, Metronet shareholder Atkins said in its own results today.

The Metronet consortium, responsible for maintaining and modernising nine London Underground lines, said it was on schedule to complete on time only 16 station refurbishments out of a total of 26 that it is contracted to finish by next March.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #210
londonindyboy
CrAzY FrOg

Likes (Received): 6

canary wharf station

geometarkv liked this post
londonindyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #211
londonindyboy
CrAzY FrOg

Old July 24th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #212
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

British Airways promotional ads in Singapore, taken last month

Gloucester Rd tube station is featured

pic by babystan03
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:13 PM   #213
londonindyboy
CrAzY FrOg

Old July 24th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #214
londonindyboy
CrAzY FrOg

Old July 24th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #215
londonindyboy
CrAzY FrOg

Old July 24th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #216
londonindyboy
CrAzY FrOg

Old July 29th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #217
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18176

A review paints drab picture of the Tube
Heather Timmons
29 July 2005
International Herald Tribune

Is the world's oldest subway system, the London Underground, facing a crisis? The threats of terrorism are not the only problem. Multibillion-dollar renewal projects on the 142-year-old system are behind schedule and over budget, including an overhaul of the radio transmission network, a government official said. And one union said safety concerns were not being resolved, despite equipment malfunctions during the attacks this month. The union threatened to strike. The Underground, also known as the Tube, is the major artery for London, which is not only Britain's capital and largest city but also Europe's financial center. On average, it moves three million passengers a day. The system suffered from decades of underinvestment when it was owned by the government. But a plan in the late 1990s was supposed to put an end to the lack of money.

The British government farmed out control of infrastructure for the system to companies like Balfour Beatty and Bombardier, and to Motorola, which pledged to spend l16 billion, or about $28 billion, over 30 years to repair it. A group called London Underground, part of the government-controlled group Transport For London, is responsible for the drivers and most other employees. The first official full review of the process, released Wednesday, painted a bleak picture of privatization.

Corporate shareholders are earning "significant sums of money," while the conglomerates responsible for maintaining the lines and trains are not delivering the improvements they have promised, according to a report written by the managing director of London Underground, Tim O'Toole. Just two years after the maintenance privatization contracts were granted, "many of the renewal projects" were already behind schedule, O'Toole said. "We are paying a premium price for improvements, but performance to date has not been good enough." The review came at a dark time for the Underground. Passenger numbers have dropped since the attacks July 7, officials said without giving specifics. The police have warned of more attacks, and many former passengers now ride bicycles to work or take a boat on the Thames.

The unions' officials emerged upset from a meeting with officials from the London Underground. Since the attacks July 7, they have been asking for, among other things, trains with radios that work and breathing apparatus. "We were concerned to hear suggestions that funding for improved security would have to depend solely on passenger revenue, especially as we were told that revenue was heading south following the recent bombing attacks," said Bob Crow, general secretary of RMT, formerly the Rail, Maritime and Transport Union. The union's leaders plan to meet Friday to discuss a strike. Drivers of Underground trains, who are not allowed to talk to the news media directly, have shared tales of chaos and confusion with their union representative. One was held at gunpoint at the Stockwell station, where a Brazilian electrician was killed Friday by police officers who did not recognize his uniform. The old-style blue-checked uniforms, which look like some worn by employees at some British grocery stores and pubs, are being phased out. Another driver at the station did not get instructions to evacuate his passengers immediately, and his radio and mayday signal did not work, said Steve Grant of the transport union Aslef. The driver wound up driving his train a stop farther south, after evacuating the carriages himself, because all the ground staff members were already out of the station, Grant said. When he arrived at the next station in his empty train and exited it, he was stopped by a police officer, who said he should not be there because the place was being searched for chemicals, Grant said.

Some of these problems may be linked to the complicated privatization system, critics say. The Underground lines and infrastructure are maintained by two conglomerates: Tube Lines, which is owned by Amey and Bechtel, and Metronet, owned by Atkins, Balfour Beatty, Bombardier, EDF Energy and RWE Thames Water. Engineering overruns for projects managed by these groups have increased 35 percent from the year before, the London Underground said. Motorola and the communication companies Racal Translink and Fluor Daniel were given a l1.2 billion contract in 1999 to replace and manage the communications system, which is months behind, London Underground officials said. "We're going to have to put more money into it," said a spokesman for the London Underground, Stephen Webb.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 01:13 AM   #218
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
That's exactly the sort of photo I was trying find but couldn't, well done Nick!

Westbound Metropolitan Line Train passes a Piccadilly Line Train reversing in the terminal siding at Rayner's Lane:

The Metropolitan Line A-Stock feel bigger than the D-Stocks and C-Stocks even... I think the bodies are wider? The Metropolitan Railway was built to Great Western Railway Broad Gauge (7" as opposed to the standard 4'8"!) originally so the tunnels are significantly wider than those of the District Line.
hehe a familiar site, its my local station, I get the Met Line trains which are incredibly comfy, reliable and roomy despite their age.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ldntower/
Peyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 01:45 PM   #219
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitxofo
London Underground needs renewal!!
Year, it does in parts, and it's getting it as well. I must admit though, since my visit to Barcelona a couple of weeks back (which I loved!), I found the central city metro stations to be in worse state to London's central city stations.

Passiag de Gracia was in shocking state, both the commuter rail section, which was like sitting in an oven, and the metro part. The tunnels between them were in worse state than anything I have seen in central London recently.

Also, Sants has nothing on the London central hubs, although it's not really the metro, it is fully underground. I wonder what the original station was like, was it a grand space like the other Barcelona stations and London's terminus'?

That said, it's still a wonderful network in barcelona, and some of the underground stations outside of the central area were wonderful. I saw some really lovely ones on the underground commuter rail I took to the Foster tower on the mountain (between the city and the funicular).

Someone should start a discussion thread on the Barcelona network.
Old July 31st, 2005, 01:52 PM   #220
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
Year, it does in parts, and it's getting it as well. I must admit though, since my visit to Barcelona a couple of weeks back (which I loved!), I found the central city metro stations to be in worse state to London's central city stations.

Passiag de Gracia was in shocking state, both the commuter rail section, which was like sitting in an oven, and the metro part. The tunnels between them were in worse state than anything I have seen in central London recently.

Also, Sants has nothing on the London central hubs, although it's not really the metro, it is fully underground. I wonder what the original station was like, was it a grand space like the other Barcelona stations and London's terminus'?

That said, it's still a wonderful network in barcelona, and some of the underground stations outside of the central area were wonderful. I saw some really lovely ones on the underground commuter rail I took to the Foster tower on the mountain (between the city and the funicular).

Someone should start a discussion thread on the Barcelona network.
Yes I liked the articulated walk-through train cars and they have great air con (like sitting in a fridge!).
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground