daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2011, 07:04 PM   #2261
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11130

X2

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:58 AM   #2262
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Lay off Porto... I commend his enthusiasm and what he posts is entirely relevant

This thread would be languishing on the 2nd or 3rd page were it not for him
Well how about he puts some titles on his video's and complies with the mods apparent request to not post copyright info.

Though as I said very little of what is posted actually generates any discussion, so maybe the thread needs to be on the 2nd or 3rd page. It is a discussion board isn't it rather than a news board?
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:30 AM   #2263
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7519

Quote:
London Underground extends District line timetable consultation

London Underground (LU) is asking District line passengers to respond to a consultation about proposed improvements to the timetable which would reduce delays on the line, saving more than 850,000 passenger hours per year.

It would also provide capacity for 4,000 more passengers on the Wimbledon branch every weekday morning.

As part of work to reduce delays for passengers on the line, LU is proposing changes to address problems with a service bottleneck in the Earl’s Court area, which is the source of many of the hold ups passengers experience on the line.

London Underground proposes to remove weekday services to Kensington (Olympia), which carry less than 1% of District line passengers. By doing so, services for an additional 4,000 passengers every weekday morning can be added to the busy Wimbledon branch, which carries nearly 30% of District line passengers.

There will also be extra capacity for more than 800 additional people on services Ealing Broadway every weekday evening peak.

http://www.rail.co/2011/06/29/london...-consultation/
Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:18 PM   #2264
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
Well how about he puts some titles on his video's and complies with the mods apparent request to not post copyright info.

Though as I said very little of what is posted actually generates any discussion, so maybe the thread needs to be on the 2nd or 3rd page. It is a discussion board isn't it rather than a news board?
It is also a place to share infos and material... many threads of the main sections are made of pics and videos, and often the 'discussion' is something like "wow, amazing, nice pic"

You're right about quoting the authors of the videos (even if often on youtube the ones who load the videos are not the ones who materially create 'em; but generally they are the ones 'stolen' from movies or tv programs, and that's not the case); but to embed youtube videos on SSC is obviously allowed, and obviously you can't embed only a part of a video, as to edit a video means reload it edited on a hosting site, you can't just cut the embedded video.
Anyway, if youtube didn't want to allow SSC to embed videos they just have to enable the site to use their embedding. And if a youtube member doesn't want his videos to be embedded he just enables the embedding for his videos previously (and there are videos which do not work embedded, for this reason)
In any case youtube earns money from the embedding as they put advertises popping up while the videos play.
More, sometimes even videos authors earn money by the visualizations. And the ones who don't could in the future as you can access the 'collaboration' with youtube if your (original) videos have many many visualizations; what could happen by embedding 'em on popular forums (and assuming that this is not spam)

That said, the authors and the site could in any times to ask for videos remouval, anyway. The only way not to front this risk is not to embed 'em.
But without videos and pics SSC would be a very sad forum I think.

Sorry for this OT

Last edited by GENIUS LOCI; July 2nd, 2011 at 04:24 PM.
GENIUS LOCI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:43 AM   #2265
ajw373

The issue I have with the youtube videos is a lack of a title. All I see is a square box with a play button. However after playing 1 video I then see a static picture on other videos. No doubt a security setting in my browser, but a good one at that. So how about a title like iampuking did with his video post a few pages back?
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:51 AM   #2266
2Easy

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Lay off Porto... I commend his enthusiasm and what he posts is entirely relevant

This thread would be languishing on the 2nd or 3rd page were it not for him
IMO more people would check this thread regularly for information had it not been turned into an TfL youtube channel. I do watch some of the videos, but it's just too much to sort through if you want to find out what's going on.
2Easy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 11:25 AM   #2267
ajw373

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
IMO more people would check this thread regularly for information had it not been turned into an TfL youtube channel. I do watch some of the videos, but it's just too much to sort through if you want to find out what's going on.
Exactly, a little bit goes a long way, but same shit everyday is getting tedious and not generating discussion on the subject.
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #2268
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

There is a title on every YouTube video, ajw373. If you have some adblocker or security feature enabled, which blocks that information, then it's entirely your own fault.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #2269
PortoNuts

by looper23's on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9858754...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9858754...n/photostream/
Old July 6th, 2011, 02:38 AM   #2270
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 84

Gotta love the underground.
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #2271
PortoNuts

Quote:
TfL helps passengers avoid the stairs at Tube stations

A new Tube guide has been added to the TfL website which shows customers how to avoid stations with stairs.

London Underground, which started in 1863, is the oldest metro system in the world and many of its stations were built in Victorian and Edwardian times ‘when passengers who had mobility problems were not a priority’.

Putting lifts into existing Tube stations is often ‘extremely difficult and expensive’ but Transport for London has invested hundreds of millions of pounds in doing this, as well as building new Tube, London Overground and DLR stations which are all step-free. TfL has increased the number of Tube stations which are step-free to 62 and this will rise to 65 when lifts are installed at Green Park, Blackfriars and Farringdon before the 2012 Games.

The Tube Upgrade Plan will continue redeveloping key stations and installing lifts.

In the meantime London Underground has issued a new ‘Avoiding Stairs Tube guide’, which will be useful for anyone who may have difficulty using stairs but can manage escalators. This will include older people, customers with heavy luggage, parents with pushchairs and people with physical disabilities who do not use a wheelchair.

The map highlights stations where customers can reach the platforms or change trains via escalators, lifts or ramps, or where the platforms are already at street level. Stations where this access is not possible are greyed out on the map.

The map differs to the ‘Step-Free Tube map’ which shows step-free stations suitable for wheelchair users, which have lifts from street to platform level or ramps; and includes more detailed information including the size of steps and gaps between train and platform.

Wayne Trevor, London Underground’s Accessibility & Inclusion Manager said: “With the funding we have we are installing lifts to make as many Tube stations free of steps as we can, currently 62 increasing to 65 by next year.

“However, we know that many people have difficulties in walking up and down long flights of stairs, but can manage escalators and have produced the ‘Avoiding Stairs Tube Guide’ to reflect these needs. These are very different to the difficulties faced by wheelchair users and so we wanted to provide a map that more accurately reflected these needs.”

On the website there is also an Audio Tube map, Tube toilet map, a large print Tube map and the Step-Free Tube map.
http://www.rail.co/2011/07/04/tfl-he...tube-stations/
Old July 7th, 2011, 05:43 AM   #2272
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Funnily enough just a few days ago I was at Highbury & Islington station and saw some tourists carrying lots of luggage from the NB Victoria line, when they reached the stairs I heard them all swearing as soon as they saw the massive flight of stairs they had to climb. Maybe if they had one of these guides they'd have been okay.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #2273
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Funnily enough just a few days ago I was at Highbury & Islington station and saw some tourists carrying lots of luggage from the NB Victoria line, when they reached the stairs I heard them all swearing as soon as they saw the massive flight of stairs they had to climb. Maybe if they had one of these guides they'd have been okay.
With the massive number of train stations in your country, it would take a lot of time for all 100% of train stations to have escalators and/or elevators. It will get there eventually. The question is more of how long.

Anyways, it looks like I won't be affected:
-Paddington (if we stay at the Hilton hotel beside the train station and when we take the train going to Cardiff, Wales)
-King Cross/St. Pancras (when we take the train to Scotland)
-London Bridge Station (in case we choose to stay at Shangrila Hotel @ Shard London Bridge Tower)
-Train stations in Canary Wharf (because I heard that Mariott Hotel there is awesome)

Hehe
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #2274
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3625

I used to complain this LU all the time like its too crowd, hot, dirty and slow etc but now i completely changed my mind after i experienced Paris Metro lol (sorry if you get offended) which i found no iconic, no modern, too hot, and their stations are not properly maintained, as a result a lot of stations seem quite dirty and smells like piss They also don't have many CCTV cameras and enough staffs like in LU stations. However, i think Madrid Metro beats both of them which i found very efficient, modern, and their stock carriages have a/c. Anyway, London Underground rocks for being oldest/world's first underground railway and it's also the world's second biggest by total length of tracks, plus it's logo/sign and colour is just so iconic lol
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #2275
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

I have never ever seen as much staff as on London Underground.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #2276
PortoNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Aren't there signs in some stations referring the number of steps?
Old July 8th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #2277
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
I used to complain this LU all the time like its too crowd, hot, dirty and slow etc but now i completely changed my mind after i experienced Paris Metro lol (sorry if you get offended) which i found no iconic, no modern, too hot, and their stations are not properly maintained, as a result a lot of stations seem quite dirty and smells like piss They also don't have many CCTV cameras and enough staffs like in LU stations. However, i think Madrid Metro beats both of them which i found very efficient, modern, and their stock carriages have a/c. Anyway, London Underground rocks for being oldest/world's first underground railway and it's also the world's second biggest by total length of tracks, plus it's logo/sign and colour is just so iconic lol
A lot of money has been spent in the last decade or so to improve the Underground.

It is much cleaner now; many stations have been refurbished; new trains, track and signalling; there's a long way to go, but in the next decade or two, the whole system should have been upgraded to take more frequent, faster and more modern trains.

Also the system continues to expand, with newly opened sections on the DLR and Overground, plus Crossrail which is a huge new express line now being built. Not bad for a system so old!
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #2278
PortoNuts

Old July 9th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #2279
PortoNuts

Old July 9th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #2280
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Aren't there signs in some stations referring the number of steps?
Only at stations that have lifts and so there is an alternative (emergency) stair case. Essentially they are saying: there are a lot of stairs are you sure you want to walk up instead of taking the lift?!
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground