daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2005, 01:59 PM   #221
londonindyboy
CrAzY FrOg

Likes (Received): 6

londonindyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2005, 02:09 PM   #222
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
Yes I liked the articulated walk-through train cars and they have great air con (like sitting in a fridge!).
Year, the trains are wonderfully airconditioned, but not the stations (at least not Passiag de Gracia, which is a big one in the city centre). It was unbelievably hot on the platform, very uncomfortable, but when the train arrived, it was a great refuge from the heat.

It was quite nice to see all the woman with their fans flapping them over their faces.

Old July 31st, 2005, 02:52 PM   #223
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
Year, it does in parts, and it's getting it as well. I must admit though, since my visit to Barcelona a couple of weeks back (which I loved!), I found the central city metro stations to be in worse state to London's central city stations.

Passiag de Gracia was in shocking state, both the commuter rail section, which was like sitting in an oven, and the metro part. The tunnels between them were in worse state than anything I have seen in central London recently.

Also, Sants has nothing on the London central hubs, although it's not really the metro, it is fully underground. I wonder what the original station was like, was it a grand space like the other Barcelona stations and London's terminus'?

That said, it's still a wonderful network in barcelona, and some of the underground stations outside of the central area were wonderful. I saw some really lovely ones on the underground commuter rail I took to the Foster tower on the mountain (between the city and the funicular).

Someone should start a discussion thread on the Barcelona network.

oh, i love the Barca network The trains the metros yummie Barcelona was also a wonderful city in itself!
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 07:25 PM   #224
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3670

Quote:
Year, it does in parts, and it's getting it as well. I must admit though, since my visit to Barcelona a couple of weeks back (which I loved!), I found the central city metro stations to be in worse state to London's central city stations.

Passiag de Gracia was in shocking state, both the commuter rail section, which was like sitting in an oven, and the metro part. The tunnels between them were in worse state than anything I have seen in central London recently.

Also, Sants has nothing on the London central hubs, although it's not really the metro, it is fully underground. I wonder what the original station was like, was it a grand space like the other Barcelona stations and London's terminus'?

That said, it's still a wonderful network in barcelona, and some of the underground stations outside of the central area were wonderful. I saw some really lovely ones on the underground commuter rail I took to the Foster tower on the mountain (between the city and the funicular).

Someone should start a discussion thread on the Barcelona network.
Dear Justme,

Central metro stations in Barcelona are all right except 2 or 3, but they are going to be refurbished within 2 years.
Passeig de Gràcia is a huge station for 3 metro lines and many trains lines. The station for line 2 is very nice, the station for line 3 is nice and the station for line 4 is not bad, but the tranfer corridor is horrible: the longest in our network: 300 metres! It was renewed 1 year ago, it was worse before that!
About Sants central railway station, it was built in the 70s and has always been under the ground. The old and beautiful terminus stations were Estació de França and Estació del Nord (this one is the central coach station now).

Anyway, do not worry:
The whole trains network is being refurbished and improved for the arrival of high speed train lines in 2007. So now, it's your last chance to see the horrible transfer corridors of Passeig de Gràcia and Sants station...
Also in 2007, all metro, tramways and commuter trains system will be fully accessible for disabled people, now it's 70% accessible!
You will see all changes made by 2007-8.

@Justme:
We could meet in Barcelona...
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 09:20 PM   #225
DaDvD

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Year, the trains are wonderfully airconditioned, but not the stations (at least not Passiag de Gracia, which is a big one in the city centre). It was unbelievably hot on the platform, very uncomfortable, but when the train arrived, it was a great refuge from the heat.

It was quite nice to see all the woman with their fans flapping them over their faces.

Totally agree, the waiting time for the subway in the station was HORRIBLE, much more than in Madrid (because of the humidity...!)
DaDvD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:05 AM   #226
londonindyboy
CrAzY FrOg

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDvD
Totally agree, the waiting time for the subway in the station was HORRIBLE, much more than in Madrid (because of the humidity...!)
you are absoloutely right.
londonindyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 06:55 AM   #227
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3670

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDvD
From 10pm to 2am there is a train every 5-8min. in Barcelona, but one train every 15min. in Madrid...
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:53 AM   #228
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitxofo
Dear Justme,

@Justme:
We could meet in Barcelona...
Year, problem was time and being with my Mrs. If I was travelling alone I would have been able to fit it in and made contact. Would have been great to meet up, for one thing, you could have told me how to correctly pronounce the "Eixample"
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:25 PM   #229
Mojito
kejje nagaan!

Likes (Received): 3206

Well, I'm back from a week in London, and I can say that I love the tube lines and their unique stocks. I'm talking about the deep-level lines, not the sub-surface lines. (the sub-surface lines are also interesting, but their rolling stocks have more similarities with other systems in the world)

And especially the Central Line's 1992 stock!

The reasons for this are simple. It was my first experience with the typical deep-level lines, and with the Underground. My train from Harwich (I took the boat from Holland) called at Stratford, and there I saw some Central Line trains running on the other tracks of the station.

At Liverpool Street, where I entered London, I took a Central Line train to my hotel and because it was my first experience with the tube, it will stay in my mind forever. The scent, the sounds and noise, the strong wind, when a train is approaching, the heat, the crowd... I love the Paris metro and Berlin U-Bahn very much, but they cannot beat the iconic atmosphere of the tube.

After travelling almost all other lines (except for the East London Line and Waterloo & City Line, which didn't fit in my scheme...after all, I was with my girlfriend and she wanted -quite logic- to see more than only the tube ...and so did I...) I can say the 1992 stock is still my favourite. I love their spacious design, with the unique single big windows, (too bad that the majority of the passengers don't appreciate the mirror-effect), their wide doors with their continuous beep-signal when closing, and adore their accelerating and decelerating motor sounds.

A few years ago, when I saw the different types of rolling stocks for the first time in a book, I thought the 1992 stock was the most modern type of train in London, but I was surprised to find out that the more traditional looking 1995 and 1996 stocks of the Northern and Jubilee lines were a little younger.

And I had the feeling that it was much faster than the other tube lines (which are also faster than I've ever seen, while entering a station at full speed and starting to decelerate when the first carriages are in the station and along the platform already), but maybe it's a personal feeling.

I read somewhere on this forum the Victoria Line is one of the fastest in the world and certainly in London...but I couldn't help thinking the Central Line trains were running faster...

Last edited by Mojito; August 9th, 2005 at 05:28 PM.
Mojito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:38 PM   #230
Sitback
NW London baby!

Likes (Received): 79

I don't care how big the bloomin' tunnels are and how small the dimensions of the 'stocks' are just as long as they get me where I want to go. I can sit in the London underground in comfort the only thing I got against it i it gets far to hot in the Northern Line.

Sheesh.
Sitback no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:39 PM   #231
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

I think the fastest line is probably the Victoria line, but the fastest attained speed I think is something like the Central Line up by Epping - something like 100kph. Tubeman will be able to fill in the blanks and dot the i's though here
nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #232
Mojito
kejje nagaan!

Likes (Received): 3206

I haven't seen any tube section outside zones 1 and 2, unfortunately...(exept for the Richmond branch of the District Line, with an extension ticket, because we wanted to see the beautiful Kew Gardens) But when I look at the geographical tube map of Central London, I see the Central Line has got less curves than most of the other tube lines...Maybe that is an explanation for my feeling...

A six-zone travelcard is something for the next time I will visit London...!
Mojito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:10 AM   #233
AmiDelf

Likes (Received): 3

Oslo subway wagons specs:

Production company: Strømmens Verksted - EGA⁄AEG - NEBB - Høka
Cabnumber: 1001-1030, 1031-1090, 1091-1105, 1106-1135, 1136-1146
Type: T-I⁄2 (serie 1), T-II (serie 2), T-IV (serie 4)
Year of production: 1966, 1970, 1972, 1976, 1978,
Length: 17000
Height: 3650
Width: 3200
Max speed: 70km/h
Comfort: about 63 sitting places and about 117 non sitting space

Production company: Strømmens Verksted - EGA⁄AEG - NEBB
Cabnumber: 1301-1318, 1334-1343, 1344-1349
Type: T-V (serie 5), T-VII (serie 7), T-VIII (serie 8)
Year of production: 1978, 1986, 1987, 1989
Length: 17000
Width: 3200
Max speed: 70km/h
Comfort: about 70 sitting places and about 110 non sitting space

Production company: EB Strømmens Verksted - AEG
Cabnumber: 2001-2012
Type: T-2000
Year of production: 1993
Length: 8000+18000
Width: 3300
Max speed: 100km/h
Comfort: about 60 sitting places and about 125 non sitting space

I think that none of the subway wagons in Oslo would ever fit into Londons tunnels. Half of the roof would fall off hehe
AmiDelf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #234
Justme
Gotta lite?

There are still a couple of stations with the original "Mind the Gap" announcement. There are a few different ones around, but the one that became so famous has a rather harsh, posh voice. I once found a website which had a sample, but they blocked the direct linking when I posted it here a long time ago. If anyone can find the original voice sample again, would be really cool...
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #235
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
I think the fastest line is probably the Victoria line, but the fastest attained speed I think is something like the Central Line up by Epping - something like 100kph. Tubeman will be able to fill in the blanks and dot the i's though here
Technically the Metropolitan Line was the fastest, in the open sections coming down from the Chiltern Hills, but the maximum permitted speed has been cut back to 60mph (100kmh) from the former 70mph.

In deep-level tunnel, the Victoria Line reaches (officially) 57mph (just under 100kmh) between Seven Sisters and Finsbury Park, and the Jubilee reaches 60mph (100kmh) between Canada Water and Canary Wharf. The Central Line has very good braking capability and is fully automatic, although I think the top speeds are now retarded following the Chancery Lane derailment... The sensation of speed comes from the fact that the trains can enter the 8-car platforms at 40mph (60kmh) and still manage to stop, whereas 30mph is more typical for other lines.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the Tube Mojito
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #236
Me_Simon

Likes (Received): 0

my personal opinion;
London Underground = very nice clean stations, excellent coverage and train network; but the trains are so noisy!!!!
Paris Metro = disqusting stations, excellent coverage; and nice quiet smooth trains!

lol @ 'mind the gap' I don't normally pay attention to the annoucements (because I'm an Aussie tourist :P) but that was some gap in some of the stations
Me_Simon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #237
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_Simon
my personal opinion;
London Underground = very nice clean stations, excellent coverage and train network; but the trains are so noisy!!!!
Paris Metro = disqusting stations, excellent coverage; and nice quiet smooth trains!

lol @ 'mind the gap' I don't normally pay attention to the annoucements (because I'm an Aussie tourist :P) but that was some gap in some of the stations
Paris has rubber tyres, London is metal on metal
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #238
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
Paris has rubber tyres, London is metal on metal
Paris has only some rubber tyres lines and some traditional "metal on metal" lines

but the worst thing in that both systems is: it's too hot there!!!

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #239
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18176

London seeks new transport boss after Kiley quits

LONDON, Nov 25 (Reuters) - Britain's capital began looking for a new transport supremo on Friday after Bob Kiley, the ex CIA man who oversaw the introduction of congestion charging and extra buses, quit unexpectedly.

The Transport for London (TfL) Commissioner gave no reasons as to why he was leaving the high profile job although several newspapers said his early departure was because of a row.

"It has been a privilege to serve...TfL has more than proved it can deliver since it was formed five years ago," Kiley said in a short statement.

The Times newspaper said Kiley, who was expected to stay on until 2008, had quit after clashing with a fellow director and failing to get support from Mayor Ken Livingstone.

The resignation of 70-year old Kiley was because he had argued with Livingstone, the Independent said, while the Guardian reported the American had lost a power struggle with the mayor.

Kiley, a former New York subway boss credited with revamping that crime-ridden network, was brought in by Livingstone to sort out London's extensive, but ageing transport infrastructure which carries millions of passengers every day.

Following his appointment in 2001, Kiley became one of Livingstone's staunchest and most vocal allies in his battle to oppose government plans to involve private firms in modernising the system.

Livingstone said Kiley, who will stand down at the end of January 2006, will continue to act as the mayor's transport advisor.

"Bob has overseen the transformation of London's bus service, with two million more bus journeys each day, introduced the world's largest congestion charging scheme and begun the largest investment programme in London's transport system since the Second World War," the mayor said in a statement.

Roger Evans, the Conservative transport spokesman in the London Assembly said he wanted to know why Kiley was leaving.

"We always had serious concerns about Bob Kiley's value for money -- after all he was one of the highest paid public sector bureaucrats in the world. However, we need to know specifically why he quit."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #240
spsmiler

Likes (Received): 2

Hi all,

as you have seen, Bob Kiley is leaving us in London.

below is a copy of his bio as taken from the TfL website a few years ago - although more recently they have condensed this down to far less information (leaving out the really interesting stuff). As you will see, whilst at the CIA he was more than just a small time operative.

btw, I question whether he actually left the CIA, (can people "leave" that sort of organisation?) or whether he has kept in contact, perhaps for intelligence reasons. His being a member of the Council on Foreign Relations speaks volumes too; I assume he is also a member of the famed Bilderberg Group, although because of a media blackout few ordinary mortals even know that secretive organisation exists.

I would suggest that the timing of his leaving is not unconnected with other events which I wont discuss here, and that there is much more to the publicly stated "disagreement" which caused him to resign than we are being told.

Simon
------------

Prior to his appointment as Commissioner of Transport for London in January 2001, Robert Kiley served as President and Chief Executive Officer of the New York City Partnership. The Partnership, the city's leading business and civic organisation, improves the city's economic climate through advocacy and public-private initiatives in education, job creation, affordable housing, and neighbourhood development. Its membership reflects the impressive breadth of the city's private, non-profit and civic leadership.

From 1991 to 1994 he was President of Fischbach Corporation, a major New York-based construction and engineering company, and in 1994 became its Chairman until assuming his position at the New York City Partnership in 1995.

From 1983 until 1990, he was Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA). At the MTA he was responsible for five transportation agencies serving the New York Metropolitan Region where he directed the rebuilding of New York's public transportation system and restructured its management. He led successful efforts to obtain more than $16 billion from the New York State legislature for capital improvements to the city's subways and buses, commuter railroads, tunnels and bridges in the MTA region.

Robert Kiley has consulted with corporations and public agencies at the Management Analysis Center (now Cap Gemini) then headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts. In the 1970s he was Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority in Boston and served as Deputy Mayor of the City of Boston.

Early in his career, he was with the CIA, where he served as Manager of Intelligence Operations and then as Executive Assistant to the Director.

Robert Kiley is a Member of the Council on Foreign Relations, Board Member of the Salzburg International Seminar, the American Repertory Theater, MONY Group Inc, the Princeton Review Inc and Edison Schools, Inc. He is also on the Advisory Board of the Harvard University Center for State and Local Government.

A Magna Cum Laude graduate of the University of Notre Dame, Indiana, USA, Robert Kiley and his wife Rona now live in London.

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground