daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #2381
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by urgel23 View Post
Queer, cartographer categorising airport pods rail.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #2382
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3625

TfL denies CBS can end £1bn Underground contract before Olympics

Transport for London (TfL) has issued a remarkable retort to CBS Outdoor's plans to terminate its London Underground just weeks before the start of next year's Olympics as "entirely spurious".

In a statement to Media Week, Richard Parry, TfL's London Underground director of strategy, refused to accept that CBS had any grounds to terminate the tube contract, believed to the biggest outdoor advertising contract in the world, which was due to run until the end of 2015.

He said: "CBSO's claims that they want to terminate their contract due to delays to the LU upgrade programme are entirely spurious. TfL is engaged in discussions with CBSO regarding the terms of the LU advertising concession.

"We do not accept that CBSO is entitled to issue a Termination notice and will be making it clear to CBSO that it must honour its obligations under the contract. LU will vigorously defend CBSO’s claims and will seek to recover any losses as a result of CBSO’s action."

Earlier this year, CBS Outdoor announced it was preparing to take TfL to court, in a bid to claw back millions of pounds of advertising revenue the media owner believes it has lost due to delays in construction, among other things.

Tensions have been mounting between CBS Outdoor and TfL following the partnership forged after a competitive pitch process in 2006.

Richard Sauer, executive vice president, general counsel of CBS Outdoor, told Media Week that changes in the operation of the London Underground since the contract was agreed constitute an "adverse event".

"They have made it more costly for us to implement the conversion of our digital advertising network across the estate," he said. "Our expectation was that we would be allowed to complete the implementation of the network within an approximate two year period... this has not been the case and there is a clause in the contract designed to cover such an event."

The London Underground train network will play an essential role in ferrying more than five million visitors and Olympic ticket holders to the Games next summer. It will be vital for TfL, London Mayor Boris Johnson and Prime Minister David Cameron’s coalition government, that this dispute is settled satisfactory, avoiding the prospect of no posters or digital display ads across the network.

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/News/Most...ract-Olympics/
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #2383
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11120

I've just spent five days in London this August and newly felt in love with its transit as I enjoied to travel around the city center and the suburbs with bus, underground and railways (as I was in Clapham I tried several services of Southern suburbs leading to Victoria and Waterloo)
And I finally brought the DLR that I personally find fantastic. Many Londoners complain it is too slow, but that was not my impression... maybe it is slower than Jubilee Line, expecially to reach Canary Wharf, but that's because of the stops which are less.

I wanted to bring the Overground as well, but when I tried it was closed (on Sunday) at least in Clapham Junction

P.S.
I went to London Transport Museum, erm, just to the shop, but I didn't look for Tubeman as i didn't inform I was there and it didn't seem fair to me to disturb him
Old August 27th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #2384
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
I've just spent five days in London this August and newly felt in love with its transit as I enjoied to travel around the city center and the suburbs with bus, underground and railways (as I was in Clapham I tried several services of Southern suburbs leading to Victoria and Waterloo)
And I finally brought the DLR that I personally find fantastic. Many Londoners complain it is too slow, but that was not my impression... maybe it is slower than Jubilee Line, expecially to reach Canary Wharf, but that's because of the stops which are less.

I wanted to bring the Overground as well, but when I tried it was closed (on Sunday) at least in Clapham Junction

P.S.
I went to London Transport Museum, erm, just to the shop, but I didn't look for Tubeman as i didn't inform I was there and it didn't seem fair to me to disturb him
I'll be back there in October so will have the chance to do similar.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #2385
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
the Overground as well, but when I tried it was closed (on Sunday) at least in Clapham Junction
Anybody feel like betting how much longer this closure'll stick around
Old August 31st, 2011, 10:18 PM   #2386
mayflower232

Likes (Received): 25

Siemens Unveils London Underground Concept Train

Quote:
A design concept for a next-generation train for London Underground’s small-profile ‘tube’ lines was unveiled by Siemens during the Railtex exhibition.

Building on its successful role in supplying replacement bogies for Central Line and Waterloo & City Line stock, Siemens was asked by LU to develop a ‘concept train’ for the next round of replacement stock which will in due course be needed for the Piccadilly and Bakerloo lines.

When LU last tendered for replacement trains for the Piccadilly Line, Siemens did not submit a bid – and indeed on that occasion the plans did not proceed. Now, however, according to Friedrich Timmer, Project Manager for Rolling Stock in the Mobility Division at Siemens, ‘we believe London Underground is ready for the next generation of trains’.

Comparing the concept train with the Bombardier stock now entering service on the Victoria Line, Siemens said that the future design would offer a 30 tonne weight saving with 11% more capacity. Featuring wide gangways between cars, the trains would be 30% more energy-efficient; even if air-conditioning were fitted, the trains would be 17% more energy-efficient, said Timmer.

Siemens has developed the concept as the basis of a product family adaptable for use on different LU lines. The design includes what Siemens terms an ‘iconic’ front end that it hopes may one day become a London landmark.

Timmer expects prequalification for the next-generation train procurement process to start in 2012.
mayflower232 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 10:34 PM   #2387
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

It doesnt look good.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:59 PM   #2388
trainrover

How well do the accordions on the new Metropolitan-line trains dampen the clatter, sound
Old September 2nd, 2011, 05:50 AM   #2389
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

^Hideous thing.

In other news the DLR Stratford International extension opened this Wednesday. I'll do a write up with photos ASAP.

I also believe a (small) new ticket hall has opened at Green Park which enables step free access to all lines.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 05:59 AM   #2390
timo9
11 YEARS HERE!

Likes (Received): 2077

timo9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:37 PM   #2391
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
the DLR Stratford International extension opened
Had there been any bickering about extending the Jubilee Line to SI instead of the DLR
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:25 AM   #2392
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Had there been any bickering about extending the Jubilee Line to SI instead of the DLR
Not really. The Jubilee line would've been far more expensive as they'd have to either switch over lines, or a new tunnel under Stratford Regional station would've had to be built. Also, the curves between Stratford and Stratford International would've been too tight for tube trains.
Old September 4th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #2393
Christius Alerius
gah!

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayflower232 View Post
i don't like it, the sides are good, but the front is so ugly
Christius Alerius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #2394
iampuking

I don't even like the sides. I think they should keep the current LU livery with the blue skirting. It looks fresh and original and it fits in with LU aesthetics.
Old September 6th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #2395
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 37

I must be the only one! I like it! Tube shapped at the front!
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #2396
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

I've noticed over the last few days that the tube map has had a minor overhaul. Disabled stations are now split into two categories and the new DLR line is also shown. Much like the overground, I wish they were shown as separate routes, but oh well! Oyster rail services are now dotted lines instead of double line which I think is a large improvement too.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...rvices-map.pdf
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #2397
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trances View Post
I must be the only one! I like it! Tube shapped at the front!
"Tube"? Didn't you mean Turbo-shaped

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post

advance to 3'19"

You know, at this rate, Canada might as well as go for this one
Old September 8th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #2398
mulnella

Likes (Received): 0

Hello everybody. I am from New York City and I am going to be studying public transit in a variety of countries next year on a academic fellowship. One of them is London and cities in the UK. I was wondering if I could talk to any one of you and also count on meeting you when I am there next year. Thank you.

You could also email me at [email protected] or [email protected].
mulnella no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #2399
trainrover

What might you plan doing with your schooling thereafter, please?
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #2400
mulnella

Likes (Received): 0

You mean after I do this academic study? I probably will try to go to grad school in urban planning/transportation studies.
mulnella no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground