daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #2521
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7503

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #2522
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

When London fleets were easy on the eyes.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #2523
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Who's gonna christen the tube by filming its tunnels in infrared
Buy the video125 driver's eye views. The tunnel sections are not filmed in infrared AFAIK but you can see far more.

Quote:
When London fleets were easy on the eyes.
Do you not like the looks of the new rolling stock? I like them.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #2524
trainrover

Only the S stock ... the other ones appear 'overly' lavish
Old November 15th, 2011, 02:26 AM   #2525
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Lavish? I wouldn't go that far... They seem pretty spartan to me.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 02:51 AM   #2526
trainrover

Then I ought to have written cluttered instead of lavish (lines, ridges, mismatchings, etc.). E.g., the S stock has a clean appearance whereas the D stock strikes me as too bare, bland -- I don't know how to articulate this.

Nothing seems to have been spared in the S stock interiors, mind you, (e.g., arm rests have been retained) they still look plush to me.
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #2527
sotonsi

While not having 60-year-old suspension means the ride quality is better than A stock, the seats have far less cushioning, and from out in the zones that used to not be numbered it starts to be noticeable that the chair you are sitting on isn't that nice to sit on for long.

They are far from plush.

One imagines that leisure travellers from Rickmansworth out will start to use timetables more and make sure they go on Chiltern trains and avoid the Met. This is exacerbated by the move to have off-peak Met trains run semi-fast, rather than fast, from next month.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #2528
trainrover

Ouch! I hear you, sotonosi, demotions to semi-fast and all

Which leads me to ask, any chance of somebody posting pics/vids of the fast lanes (I seem to remember --Marylebone ones aside-- six-tracking TfL segments)
Old November 15th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #2529
sotonsi

There's a short bit of 6-tracking near and through Wembley Park (between, to the south, where the Met fast and slow lines merge/diverge and, to the north, where the Jubilee dives under).

Harrow-on-the-Hill nearly has a similar thing, but Southbound Chiltern line through the station (platform 2) shouldn't really count - while maintained by TfL, it cannot see any TfL services (platform 1 doesn't usually, but it is actually possible for Met line services to use it)

Obviously the Chiltern tracks run alongside the LU ones from south of West Hampstead to Harrow South Junction (where they become LU ones), making 6 tracks in total.
Old November 15th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #2530
trainrover

If so, when did they eliminate the fasts running Saturdays (I can't remember if they ran Sundays, back in the day...)? (I remember the first two stops to the outbound fasts being Harrow on the Hill, then Moor Park.)
Old November 15th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #2531
sotonsi

I guess the last timetable change (not leaf-fall). They aren't totally gone - I took a fast out of Baker Street on a Sunday recently (they always existed).

I took a semi-fast in to Baker Street on that Sunday, and what was weird was the GPS service announcements - at Amersham, trains on platform 2 - which do occasionally reverse there, without using the siding) have 'Fast Baker Street' on the side, and even make an announcement saying that this was a fast Baker Street train (the train did it, not the station), when in reality it was a terminating train that was going to the siding, before reversing there. Next, during a over-long wait at Rickmansworth, the LED screens in the train declared that the terminus had been changed, and that it was now heading to Baker Street, with annoucements declaring it an all stations train. It then did a similar thing at Harrow, saying that the next stop was Wembley Park. I'm fairly sure that nothing changed, and it was always meant to be semi-fast, but it's a bizarre way of doing it. The system needs some improvements - most importantly, not getting people going over the bridge at Amersham (and back) for no reason.
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #2532
PortoNuts

Old November 17th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #2533
trainrover

Sounds like shadow administration (hello, is anybody in there?!?), sotonsi. Does the GPS in GPS service anouncement stand for global positioning system ... if so, I guess this goes to show that Earth's become a shadow world
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #2534
PortoNuts

Quote:
Sub Surface Renaissance

Considerable publicity has already emerged on the new S stock trains being delivered to the Metropolitan Line. However, these are only part of a massive overall programme to upgrade all of London Underground’s sub surface lines. With a variety of ageing rolling stock, and some signalling systems that date back to the 1940s, the lines are overdue for modernisation.

Hedley Calderbank is the Upgrade Sponsor within London Underground (LU) to ensure that the project plans are financially on course to deliver all the required benefits to LU’s business.

He gave the rail engineer a fascinating insight into the project, its planning and delivery.

The business plan

In the PPP era, the two organisations awarded the contracts were required to put forward plans for major improvement works. Metronet, responsible for the Sub Surface Railway (SSR), was committed to a complete upgrade of trains and signalling on all those routes as a single project.

The existing track layouts had been unchanged for years – some even dated back to the loco hauled days of the Metropolitan Railway. Piecemeal renewals had kept everything largely unchanged as this had been the simplest thing to do.

As a result, many track layouts were less than optimised for the existing train service while the capabilities of both signalling and rolling stock fell well short of LU’s aspirations for capturing more traffic. The PPP organisational structure has been overtaken by events, but it was the catalyst for developing the SSR scheme as a single entity embracing the Metropolitan, District, Circle and Hammersmith & City lines.

The ensuing business case for the upgrade has been based around a number of elements:

- Shorter journey times for passengers – entry gate to exit gate

- Faster trains with better acceleration

- Provision of more frequent trains, thus giving less waiting time on station platforms

- Higher speeds on the Metropolitan line out in the north-west suburbs

- Fulfilment of suppressed demand because of existing service limitations

Considerable work has gone into proving that the business case is robust. The peak number of trains per hour on every route will be increased as follows:

- Metropolitan Line – from 21 to 28

- Circle and Hammersmith & City (central section) – from 28 to 32

- District (central section) – from 28 to 32

- Hammersmith & City – from 7 to 16, already partially achieved by the extended Circle line

- District Line branches – by 1 train on each

Many of these additions are interdependent but, once the existing signalling has been replaced, the peak passenger capacity of the network will be increased by more than 30%.

http://www.rail.co/2011/11/09/sub-surface-renaissance/
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #2535
PortoNuts

2012 Cable Car

by meharris75.

Old November 17th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #2536
PortoNuts

And some signage.

by meharris75.

Old November 18th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #2537
PortoNuts

Old November 18th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #2538
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Ouch! I hear you, sotonosi, demotions to semi-fast and all

Which leads me to ask, any chance of somebody posting pics/vids of the fast lanes (I seem to remember --Marylebone ones aside-- six-tracking TfL segments)
Is this what you're after?

Old November 18th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #2539
PortoNuts

Old November 18th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #2540
trainrover

Partially, makita09, although the journey you're sharing down my memory lane's really pleasant I must be wishing for a fast, i.e., thinking of the six-tracking both ends of Wembley Park and Finchley Road stations (can't remember )

I've just stumbled onto this one ...

and am about to check it out: The Sonic Tube Map

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground