daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #2641
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7519

edit

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #2642
PortoNuts

Quote:
British Institutions: London Underground

The Tube is more confident now than at any time in memory. What is going on?

Bank, Northern line

It is 8.24 on a winter’s morning. The world is in economic meltdown and the masters of the universe are arriving in the City of London, heading for the office, feeling very unmasterly indeed. And to get there they have to confront probably the busiest, most complicated pinch point on the entire London Underground system.

There had been a four-minute gap before the latest northbound train came in, depositing hundreds of dazed-looking passengers on to an unusually narrow platform to mingle with the changers from the other five lines that converge on the linked stations of what is officially called the Bank-Monument Complex.

This is London doing an imitation of the Tokyo subway, almost doing an imitation of a Calcutta tram. It is always the worst part of the day, the evening rush being far more elongated.

Apart from anything else, the noise is terrifying. There are three sets of conflicting instructions: from the blokes on the platform herding the cattle-passengers; from the live station announcer over the loudspeakers; and from the computerised message-system blurting out its eternal stream of drivel.

“Severe delays on the Victoria line.” “Please check for delays at the weekend.” “There will be no services at all on the Docklands Light Railway.” “The next train is approaching.” “This train is for High Barnet.” “Something or other is happening at Lambeth North.” (It must be a defective lift; it’s always the lifts at Lambeth North.)

“Please be advised you do not get Edgware trains from here in the morning.” “I appreciate you need to get to work but please let passengers off the train.” “When boarding please use all available doors.” “Look to your left and right, see if there are any empty doors.”

Had I stayed any longer, I doubtless would have been told that unattended luggage may be destroyed, that skateboarding is prohibited and possibly, that God is Love and The End is Nigh. Hasn’t London Underground ever heard of the wisdom of crowds? Don’t they know that humans are remarkably adept at sorting out difficult situations if officials just stop yelling instructions?

Bank station has been a head-scratcher ever since it became London’s first major interchange shortly before the death of Queen Victoria in 1901. The new Central line (“the twopenny tube”) had headed east in as straight a line as you ever get in London: under Oxford Street and Holborn to avoid the problem of paying off property-owners overhead. This was fine until it hit the spider’s web of narrow streets that converge on the Bank of England.

The area was so built up that everything at the station had to be subterranean, ticket offices and all; and the platform space was so constricted that the Central line platforms are more horseshoe than straight, making Bank the “mind the gap” capital of the world (some say the track had to bend round the Bank of England vaults) and the Northern line congestion far worse than it ought to be.

“Are you ever going to sort this place out?” I asked Bob Fleming, an amiable Geordie in charge of modernising the six lifts and 15 escalators that serve Bank and Monument.

“By 2021,” he said. “It’ll be fantastic then.”

The weird thing is that he seemed to be telling the truth. There is a huge improvement programme: diabolical for passengers in the short term, but a potential game-changer after that – one that will eventually see one Northern line platform being diverted to create far more space. And Bank is not the only beneficiary.

. . .

Paddington, Hammersmith & City line

There are worse messes, and Paddington is one of them, where the District, Circle and Bakerloo lines are at one end of the main line station and the Hammersmith and City a solid hike away at the other. This has become even more of a nuisance since 2009, when the Circle line ceased to be a circle and trains began running on a frying-pan shape route between Hammersmith and Edgware Road. The journey from Paddington to King’s Cross and Farringdon – the world’s very first underground route – is now more difficult than it was in 1863. Edgware Road is a cold, baffling, inconvenient place to change.

The Hammersmith & City station still has direct trains, but it is a diabolical place. There is only one proper ticket machine, which had a long queue when I arrived: my Oyster card, naturally, had chosen this moment to run out. I asked a station man where the ticket office was. “Downstairs,” he said. This was not quite what Shakespeare called “the lie direct” but it was what he called “the lie circumstantial”. The office is indeed downstairs but also several hundred yards away, at the other station.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/84bf7...#axzz1jXkDREHJ
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #2643
PortoNuts

2012 Cable Car

by meharris75.

Old January 16th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #2644
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
2012 Cable Car

by meharris75.

I have to say, I really hate how they introduced corporate branding to the Tube map from this poxy little cable car. Emirates seems to have got a hold on so much advertising.
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #2645
PortoNuts

Well, they are taking more than half of the cost, so it couldn't be any other way.
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #2646
PortoNuts

Quote:
Tube carried ‘highest number of passengers’ in December

Figures published today by Transport for London (TfL) show that London Underground (LU) carried the ‘highest number of passengers in its history during December’. Friday 9 December 2011 saw the highest number of daily passenger journeys ever recorded on the Tube, with 4.17 million journeys made.

That figure is almost seven per cent higher than the corresponding day in 2010. The week ending Saturday 10 December was also a record-breaker, with a new weekly high of 24.9 million people using the Tube as the festive season got into full swing.

The news comes on the back of the latest Tube performance results published by TfL for the four week period from 16 October to 12 November.

They show that the Tube carried 94.6 million people during that period, up by more than four million on the same period last year. LU operated 97.5 per cent of scheduled kilometres during the period, an improvement of one per cent on the previous period. Reliability, as measured by the amount of delays caused to customers, has also continued to improve.

Since the Tube became part of TfL in 2003/04 delays ‘have been reduced by more than 40 per cent’.

Other improvements delivered during the four-week period include the expansion of the new air-conditioned ‘s-stock’ fleet running on the Metropolitan line to 21 trains and the rollout on stations of new electronic service update boards, providing customers with more detail about the status of their services.

http://www.rail.co/2012/01/06/tube-c...s-in-december/
Old January 16th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #2647
PortoNuts

Old January 16th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #2648
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

I don't understand how come you take to sharing videos filmed through misleading lenses, for, e.g., the footage above makes me muse whether Victoria Line stations must be ageing horribly
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #2649
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
I don't understand how come you take to sharing videos filmed through misleading lenses, for, e.g., the footage above makes me muse whether Victoria Line stations must be ageing horribly
The stations don't look that bad. Just like a standard tube station, nothing special or bad

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #2650
trainrover

Old January 19th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #2651
PortoNuts

Quote:
The same as posh, it isn't the best resolution, but it doesn't look that bad.
Old January 19th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #2652
PortoNuts

2012 Cable Car

[I][SIZE="1"]image hosted on flickr

Southern Terminus Building by IanVisits, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Southern Terminus Building by IanVisits, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Northern Pylon from Dock Road by IanVisits, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Northern Pylon from a DLR station by IanVisits, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Two forms of transport by IanVisits, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Cable Car and Dinky Little Railway by IanVisits, on Flickr
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #2653
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
resolution, but it doesn't look that bad.
Resolution? doesn't look that bad? I bet its distortion would've made rakish Twiggy even blush, back in the day
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #2654
PortoNuts

Sorry, but I don't see distorted things there. It's simply not full screen.
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #2655
trainrover

Might this screen shot help:

clickable...

So far, I'm noticing these too-squished moving images to videos seemingly launched from (i.e., limited to) the UK ... I know the tubes are slim there, but not that slim! (Maybe I needn't be under the impression that you launch videos here without fully watching them [for the purpose of their {data} integrity]? )
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #2656
trainrover

TfL policy seems encouraging, in that they've opted for harware for their (signalling) training purposes instead of relying on computer simulation, which I bet must be the medium drawn upon here around N America:

Old January 20th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #2657
PortoNuts

Okay, got your point.

Quote:
Might this screen shot help:

So far, I'm noticing these too-squished moving images to videos seemingly launched from (i.e., limited to) the UK ... I know the tubes are slim there, but not that slim! (Maybe I needn't be under the impression that you launch videos here without fully watching them [for the purpose of their {data} integrity]? )
Old January 21st, 2012, 09:06 PM   #2658
PortoNuts

Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:01 AM   #2659
PortoNuts

Quote:
Which Is London’s Best Tube Station?

Yesterday’s poll on the worst stations on the network brought out all grumbles many and varied. We were heartened, therefore, to find an similar outpouring of opinion when we asked our Facebook followers for the best Tube station in London.

Here are the top 10 best underground stations:

Station Votes

Westminster 61
Canary Wharf 40
Baker Street 28
Southgate 15
Caledonian Road 14
Angel 9
Canada Water 9
Oval 9
St John’s Wood 8
North Greenwich 7

So, a clear winner in Westminster, with most voters citing the impressive architecture for their fondness (two commenters compared it to a zone from old TV show The Crystal Maze). Stations on the Jubilee extension, which opened a little over a decade ago, fared well in general. Four of the top 10 (Westminster, Canary Wharf, Canada Water and North Greenwich), including the top 2, are from this period. Older architectural styles were also rewarded. Although Southgate won’t be familiar to many readers, the station makes it into fourth place for its 1930s flying saucer-like design.

One other pattern was particularly heartening: the friendly, courteous and sometimes entertaining demeanour of London Underground station staff. Caledonian Road features so highly for this reason, and it was also a contributory factor at Angel and Oval, where the ‘quote of the day’ whiteboards are cherished by commuters. Warwick Avenue didn’t make the top 10, perhaps because it is little-used compared with the bigger stations above, but two people commented on the ‘friendliest man on the underground’ who dwells within.

Thanks to everyone who contributed comments, votes and likes to this non-scientific, light-hearted survey. In total, we received 296 votes for 63 stations.
http://londonist.com/2012/01/which-i...be-station.php
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #2660
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

^

Another vote here for Westminster. The first time I entered the place I had never even heard of it and I was awestruck. It is a magnificent piece of architecture.
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground