daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #2661
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7503

Quote:
Wi-Fi access to be available on London's Tube network by this summer

Transport for London has announced that commuters will be able to access the internet in advance of the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Following a successful trial at Charing Cross station, TfL has confirmed that Wi-Fi access will be provided at 120 stations throughout the Tube network, enabling travellers to go online when waiting at platforms. Wi-Fi services will be unavailable when passengers are travelling from station to station within Tube carriages.

The assertion that access will be available in advance of the London 2012 Olympics follows the collapse of a similar attempt to provide commuters with internet access last year. Then it was claimed that the UK’s four main mobile operators would provide the service, but those plans never came to fruition. TfL has yet to announce which company will take responsibility for the service. Gareth Powell, TfL’s director of strategy and service development said: “We are in the final stages of the tender process. London Underground is continuing with preparations to install the necessary infrastructure and is on schedule to complete the project as planned. An announcement of the chosen service provider will be made in early spring, leaving plenty of time for this to be delivered to customers in time for the 2012 Games.”

Details of possible charges to consumers have yet to be confirmed. During trials at Charing Cross station commuters could access travel information for free, but access to other sites was free only for BT customers.

The announcement follows a partnership between O2, Westminster council and Kensington and Chelsea council to turn part of the capital into Europe’s largest free wireless hub. When introduced, that deal will allow residents and visitors to the boroughs to access internet services for free but it has been suggested that advertisements will be embedded within the service.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...is-summer.html

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #2662
PortoNuts

Old January 25th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #2663
PortoNuts

Quote:
Vinci wins £44m Tube train depot building jobs

London Underground has awarded Vinci a £44m contract to upgrade its train depots in Ealing and Upminster.

Work on Ealing will get underway first for completion next year, with the Upminster depot revamp expected to be completed by 2015.

The rebuilding and upgrade work for the two District Line train repair depots will be carried out by Taylor Woodrow, which beat two other bidders.

Works include extensions to existing depot buildings, swimming pool inspection pits, extensive modifications to signalling and M&E services while maintaining the depot operations.
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...building-jobs/
Old January 26th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #2664
PortoNuts

Old January 26th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #2665
PortoNuts

Cable Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawd View Post
the south crane being assembled today:
image hosted on flickr

London Cable Car Crane by wawd, on Flickr
Old January 27th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #2666
PortoNuts

Old January 27th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #2667
PortoNuts

Old January 27th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #2668
PortoNuts

Old January 28th, 2012, 05:33 AM   #2669
PortoNuts

Quote:
Channel 4 to air new Tube workers documentary

Channel 4 is airing a new one-hour documentary chronicling the experiences of London Underground staff.

The broadcaster describes the show as “a rare glimpse into the depths of the iconic Tube network that passengers don’t see, as workers reveal the dilemmas and pressures that they must reconcile to keep this hugely complex and strained system running.”

Actors voice the precise words of Tube staff as “they negotiate the difficulties of storing dead bodies after suicides and the hazards of an ageing infrastructure while fixing signal failures.”

Confessions from the Underground airs 10pm, 2nd February on Channel 4.
http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/channel-...tary/201218807
Old January 28th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #2670
Darloeye

Likes (Received): 84

oh Beat me too it.
Darloeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #2671
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Did you watch any of this, coz its videography briefly sampled is horrid?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #2672
PortoNuts

Yep, watched it all. And I completely disagree with you.
Old January 29th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #2673
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

So this was the plan for the new Camden Town station. I've seen no debate on this so I wondered if anybody had an opinion. Would it be worth knocking down the dirty nightclub, one of the many markets and the popular church?

http://www.jesticowhiles.com/project-info.php?p=3004
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #2674
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaiow View Post
So this was the plan for the new Camden Town station. I've seen no debate on this so I wondered if anybody had an opinion. Would it be worth knocking down the dirty nightclub, one of the many markets and the popular church?

I think Camden Town station badly needs redeveloping but I don't like the plan as conceived here. Something a bit more in harmony with its surroundings is more likely to receive planning permission, though resolving the demolition plans with local interests will be hard. The nightclub is an eyesore and the market can adapt. I don't know much about the church however; in fact I can't even picture in my memory where exactly it is!
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #2675
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1767

The current Camden Town station exterior does look a bit tired, and a redevelopment is welcome in principle given the severe overcrowding experienced every weekend. I'm not too bothered about the Market needing to go indoors - architecturally this has nothing on the Camden Lock or Stables markets.
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #2676
PortoNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaiow View Post

I don't any of those are really worth keeping but I agree with Cairns, that proposal also doesn't fit. The surface building I mean, the new station would be great.
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #2677
davidaiow

I agree with you guys, but as I said elsewhere, maybe the large footprint was required to help pay for it? The underground bit of the station was superb.
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #2678
streetquark

Likes (Received): 4

Camden Town needs more/bigger entrances, more circulating area above ground and redevelopment underground.

If some of the existing street frontages can be kept then the internal area can be redeveloped and more entrances achieved, and the station expanded and redeveloped underground.
streetquark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #2679
davidaiow

I always thought that there should be a circular area under the junction akin to Oxford Circus...
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:16 PM   #2680
PortoNuts

Quote:
London 2012 Olympics: Do we love the Jubilee Line?

Mayor of London Boris Johnson says Olympic chiefs should use London Underground's Jubilee Line to get to events this summer. But what do others make of the silver line that runs from Westminster's corridors of power to some of the capital's most deprived areas?

Steven Thornett cuts a dashing figure in his dark overcoat and top hat, and the head doorman at the Park Lane Hilton is combating London's rush hour traffic with a smile.

"Quickest way to Stratford? Jump on the Jubilee Line - take a left on the corner and it's a five minute walk to Green Park. You'll be there in 40 minutes," he says, before whistling over a black cab for a Middle Eastern family and helping an American businessman haul his luggage through the hotel's front entrance.

The Hilton, where Abergavenny-born Mr Thornett has worked for eight years, will act as the headquarters for the International Olympic Organisation during London 2012, and VIP delegations from across the globe will be staying at Park Lane hotels.

They will mostly be shuttled to event venues in a fleet of coaches and chauffeur-driven BMWs along 30 miles of Games Lanes for Olympic officials and international media, among others.

The lanes will take up a third of an Olympic Route Network that covers 109 miles in the capital (as well as 170 miles outside), which is aimed at guaranteeing reliable journey times for those involved in London 2012. The Games Lanes have sparked anger from businesses and residents concerned about increased congestion and traffic restrictions.

On Monday Mr Johnson urged the IOC chiefs and sponsors to forego Games Lanes and instead take advantage of London's public transport system, which has seen £6.5bn of improvements ahead of the Olympics. "Get on the Jubilee Line because they'll love it," he said.

But what's to love about the Jubilee Line?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16809835

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground