daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #2801
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
If you are from North America, it isn't surprising that you would choose the car. But I bet a car is not a good option in London. I remember reading a survey that said Londoners were the biggest users of public transportation in Britain.
I think in pretty much any UK city people choose not to walk, unless they are out in the suburbs. People in the UK see to have a much higher tolerance to walking than most. In Sheffield, its normal for people to walk a mile into the city centre, then around it without even thinking about it. But in LA, even if you can walk, people don't (I have been before anyone asks)

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #2802
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Naturally, London IS the biggest city.
We're talking measures of percentage of journeys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Is the Congestion Charge to blame for the tube's overcrowding?
Not at all - no one in their right mind would drive through that area at the peak times when the tube is overcrowded before the charge, unless they had to. It was light commercial vehicles, vans and the like, that got displaced into delivering earlier/later when the CC charge started.

The tube was overcrowded before the CC charge.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #2803
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7469

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Naturally, London IS the biggest city.
I don't think a good transportation system is necessarily exclusive of big cities.
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #2804
HigerBigger

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
If you are from North America, it isn't surprising that you would choose the car. But I bet a car is not a good option in London. I remember reading a survey that said Londoners were the biggest users of public transportation in Britain.
A city like London will not be able to function without the Underground, DLR and busses. In the 1960's, the London City Government introduced a change in building regulations. Before this time, every new building required a minimum of a certain number of parking spaces per square feet and this was changed into a maximum number of parking spaces per square feet. It allowed developers to build building without any parking. This was needed to reduce the requirement to start to demolish the city to get the polluting cars into the city - a no win situation.
HigerBigger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #2805
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
i don't really like the london underground because it is way too extensive and expensive.

i think it is the oldest and second largest subway system in the world but if i had a choice i'd rather drive my own car than taking the tube.
Good luck trying to park, pay for the congestion charge and beating the time it takes on public transport.

London is one of the best cities for public transport on the planet.
Old April 11th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #2806
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
The tube was overcrowded before the CC charge.
True, but surely not to the extent that would have obliged TfL to be hiring numerous crowd-control inspectors and officers at many stations? For example (as featured in that BBC series), that whole cat-n-mouse game of manually closing a subterranean passageway gate on users inside Bank station before a bottleneck up ahead is kind of absurd.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #2807
Steel City Suburb

But it works, and having people on the ground helps.

Just spent 3 hours watching the tube episodes. Impressed.
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #2808
trainrover

Works? More like hobbling. Aside from route extensions themselves, so many cities' networks desperately need expanding
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #2809
Steel City Suburb

Don't get what some people don't understand about over-used, soaring numbers, continued investment and maintenance works.
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #2810
PortoNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
True, but surely not to the extent that would have obliged TfL to be hiring numerous crowd-control inspectors and officers at many stations? For example (as featured in that BBC series), that whole cat-n-mouse game of manually closing a subterranean passageway gate on users inside Bank station before a bottleneck up ahead is kind of absurd.
Crossrail should hopefully release some pressure from the Tube but it will need extensions or new lines nonetheless, like the Northern Line extension to Battersea. The system needs to go deeper into South London.
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #2811
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Crossrail should hopefully release some pressure from the Tube but it will need extensions or new lines nonetheless, like the Northern Line extension to Battersea. The system needs to go deeper into South London.
My understanding is that the Northern Line extension to Battersea is as good as dead as the developers who said they'd fund it can't actually pay for it. In fact, have they gone bust?

I feel that a Northern Line extension would've been better going South East, maybe to Camberwell or Brixton (to alleviate the heavily used Victoria Line) or both.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #2812
trainrover

True, the sort of route extensions you're mentioning do make sense.
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #2813
PortoNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
My understanding is that the Northern Line extension to Battersea is as good as dead as the developers who said they'd fund it can't actually pay for it. In fact, have they gone bust?

I feel that a Northern Line extension would've been better going South East, maybe to Camberwell or Brixton (to alleviate the heavily used Victoria Line) or both.
The Northern Line extension was just an example, much more extensions would be needed.
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #2814
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
The Northern Line extension was just an example, much more extensions would be needed.
Agreed. Extensions to the Northern and Bakerloo would only go in part to deal with the lack of coverage and capacity issues.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #2815
PortoNuts

Extensions to South London are also desperately needed because it has much more potential for construction growth.
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:21 AM   #2816
PortoNuts

Old April 14th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #2817
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3625

Quote:
Extensions to South London are also desperately needed because it has much more potential for construction growth.
i personally find south london is sort of being neglected by mayor boris johnson. of course there are some new towers and other regeneration projects, but it is still behind compared to many parts of london. south london definitely needs more LU stations and shopping centres as well.
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #2818
PortoNuts

Quote:
Brompton Road Tube ghost station resurrection plans announced

''When we first went in with torches, the place was crackling with atmosphere," said entrepreneur Ajit Chambers. "We are holding this feeling, bottling it and showing the world's tourists just how amazing the history of London is."

Then Prime Minister Winston Churchill watched over the Royal Artillery's anti-aircraft operations during World War II from a secret command centre at Brompton Road Underground station.

Now Mr Chambers has announced abandoned Brompton Road Tube in south-west London is the first station he plans to develop into a tourist attraction. "Proceedings began this morning to purchase our first abandoned Underground station," Mr Chambers said.

"This site is perfect for what we want to use it for," said the man who owns The Old London Underground Company.

'Ghost stations'

"We would like to have a rooftop restaurant, and use the deep drop shafts for climbing walls," he said. "The visit down to Brompton Road will be comparable to the London Eye and Madame Tussauds."

Mr Chambers is working with the Ministry of Defence (MoD), which owns many of the stations, to lease the sites, he calls "ghost stations". He has also been in talks with the Greater London Authority and Transport for London (TfL), which owns the network. They have both said they are "in principle" in favour of the proposals, provided suitably detailed and properly funded plans are put forward.

Brompton Road Tube opened in 1906 on the Piccadilly Line, positioned between Knightsbridge and South Kensington. But it was permanently closed 28 years later when nearby Knightsbridge was modernised and given a new entrance, and after diminishing footfall Brompton Road was deemed to be no longer economically viable.

The station was taken over by the MoD and became a central part of the war effort, of which some of the evidence is still in remarkable condition. Maps of London still hang from the walls of the war room where the anti-aircraft command centre used to be.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17699680
Old April 14th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #2819
Plaistow

Likes (Received): 0

I noticed today a London tram covered in a Magnum ice cream advertising livery. If memory serves this is the first all-over advertising livery in many years on the trams and certainly the first since TfL bought out the previous operators. Previous liveries included the Whitgift shopping centre, a golf club and Nescafé plus First Group corporate purple.
Plaistow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #2820
Damarr

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
An idea that occasionally gets kicked around is digging tunnels from outer south London to the terminals for long-distance trains and using the overground network purely for local services. I think it makes sense as it'd keep costs down since new stations (which you'd need several of if you extended any tube lines) cost a hell of a lot more than new tunnels. It'd also allow for a proper metro service in the south. The huge increase in local capacity would allow them to reopen Camberwell, which is probably the biggest transport blackhole in inner London.
Damarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground