daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2005, 02:24 AM   #281
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Likes (Received): 216

Excellent pics

If anyone else wants to see more pics, check this site out:

http://www.thetrams.co.uk/dlr/lcy/pictures.php

Feel free to post any pics here, but save any to your own store first, such as photobucket etc so as to save on the sites broadband, cheers.
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2005, 04:25 AM   #282
officedweller

Likes (Received): 98

Great pics - thanks.
Old December 10th, 2005, 01:01 AM   #283
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18139

London subway strike cancelled

LONDON, Dec 8 (AFP) - A planned strike on London's underground railway network for 72 hours before Christmas Day has been lifted, averting severe disruption for millions of passengers, union officials said on Thursday.

The Rail Maritime and Transport Union said it had cancelled a strike by 1,800 staff working for Tube private maintenance company Metronet after reaching agreement over outsourcing, redundancies and pensions.

"Metronet has today agreed that there will be no outsourcing of current work to subcontractors and that there will be no compulsory redundancies of our members," said RMT general secretary Bob Crow, adding that the company had promised also to review staff pensions.

Tube drivers had earlier this week voted for a three-day strike on the London Underground from December 21, which would have caused chaos for commuters as well as shoppers in the run-up to Christmas.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 05:55 AM   #284
hkskyline
Hong Kong

London Underground Workers Face Criticism Over New Year's Eve Strike

British Subway Workers Under Fire For Holiday Strike
1 January 2006

LONDON (AP)--British subway workers faced criticism from passengers and politicians Sunday following the end of a 24-hour strike timed to cause disruption to New Year's Eve celebrations.

Tens of thousands of revelers defied the action to crowd into central London on Saturday night, with non-striking staff and managers ensuring the Underground railway services continued to ferry passengers across the city.

Leaders of the RMT union, which organized the strike, had expected the subway to halt after guards and ticket office workers left their posts at 12 p.m. (1200 GMT) Saturday, in protest over new staff assignments and schedules.

London Underground, however, managed to keep most of the Tube running, with - at the strike's peak - only 37 of the sprawling network's 275 stations closed.

Officials said all the affected stations had reopened by early Sunday evening.

People traveling to London's annual New Year Parade in Parliament Square faced few problems Sunday as they arrived to watch some 7,000 dancers, musicians and performers - including high school and college marching bands from across the U.S. - entertain a thousands-strong crowd.

Organizer Bob Bone said: "We are absolutely delighted with the turnout. The streets are packed, despite worries about the transport strike."

Mayor Ken Livingstone, in a statement released by his office, said the union had been wrong to attempt to disrupt the city's New Year celebration.

"The Tube strike hardly materialized. The majority of London Underground staff did not agree that it made sense to punish ordinary Londoners on New Year's Eve," he said.

Police estimated 200,000 people thronged the streets of central London to hear Big Ben chime midnight, 50,000 more than celebrated in the capital last year.

Jodie Schaffer, 28, heading by subway to a party, said the walkout had cost subway workers public sympathy.

She said: "This whole strike has been very inconvenient and I think has lost the Tube workers some support from the public."

Some 4,000 of the Tube's 6,000 workers belong to the RMT union, which is planning another 24-hour strike on Jan. 8.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 2nd, 2006, 07:10 AM   #285
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

I am glad that not everyone of them went on strike.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:39 AM   #286
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

SHAME ON THOSE TUBE DRIVERS TO TAKE A STRIKE ON NEW YEAR'S EVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! London should learn New York to punish those workers!!!!!!
hkth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 11:57 AM   #287
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth
SHAME ON THOSE TUBE DRIVERS TO TAKE A STRIKE ON NEW YEAR'S EVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! London should learn New York to punish those workers!!!!!!
None of the Drivers were on strike

The strike was about staff cuts in ticket offices because of the Oyster Smart cards cutting the number of transactions. That being said, no-one is losing their jobs and no-one is taking a pay cut, there's merely going to be a redistribution of resources. Staff are annoyed because 400 are being moved from their permanent location and the rosters for the ticket office staff left behind are becoming much more antisocial.

The strike was load of crap and RMT are a bunch of tossers, but get your facts stright before slagging off the Tube Drivers.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 02:13 PM   #288
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Why were there only Covent Garden and Kings Cross' Victoria, Northern and Piccadilly lines affected in Central London?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 03:51 PM   #289
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

I'm glad the whole network didn't shut down, even though I ended up using the chiltern trains from Marleybone. The RMT are a disgrace on this occasion, and the reasons for the strike weren't valid in my opinion.

Let's hope the next planned strike is called off or is insignificant in the amount of disruption it causes.
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 07:39 PM   #290
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
Why were there only Covent Garden and Kings Cross' Victoria, Northern and Piccadilly lines affected in Central London?
Stations with subterranean platforms are referred to as 'Section 12' stations, all of these must maintain a bare minimum number of staff to remain open. In these two cases they dipped below this level and had to close. Any Section 12 station can afford to lose a fair few staff and still stay open, and don't forget that not all station staff are RMT, and even then a fair few RMT members realised the strike was a farce and were not prepared to be bullied by RMT Reps and came in.

I hope Bob Crowe is enjoying his holiday on the Red Sea at the moment...
Old February 1st, 2006, 06:36 AM   #291
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Tube contractor criticises tests for Jubilee Line
Andrew Clark, Transport correspondent
31 January 2006
The Guardian

One of London's busiest underground lines has enjoyed a tangible benefit from the government's controversial public -private partnership with the completion of a pounds 150m programme to attach an extra carriage to every train on the Jubilee Line.

But the head of the consortium which delivered the improvement yesterday spoke of his frustration that stringent health and safety concerns had prolonged the project. At a ceremony to mark the completion of the programme, Terry Morgan, chief executive of Tube Lines, complained that the company was required to lengthen every train at exactly the same time, rather than running a "mixed fleet" of six and seven carriages.

The requirement was imposed because of concerns that passengers might become confused and fall on to the track while attempting to board a seventh carriage on trains which only had six.

"I personally never quite understood why we couldn't run a mixed fleet," said Mr Morgan, who said that this could have prevented a five-day closure of the line at the end of December. "If we had been able to do that, it would have caused less disruption in December." As a further precaution, Tube Lines was required to run each of the 59 trains along the length of the Jubilee Line five times without anybody on board, a distance of 150km, to prove that the extra carriage was safe.

A spokeswoman for the Health and Safety Executive yesterday said 150km of tests were "appropriate" for new rolling stock and pointed out that on the east coast mainline, trains had to run for 1,000 fault-free miles before entering service.

Old February 1st, 2006, 12:17 PM   #292
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

I wonder how that compares to safety tests around the world.
nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 01:47 PM   #293
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
I wonder how that compares to safety tests around the world.
I know that Health and Safety are taken to far stricter levels in the U.K. than in Germany. It's almost a new concept here.

I have seen, and constantly see so many examples of unbelievable levels of poor safety from companies in Frankfurt I have started to wonder if there are any laws here.

... walking past a building site on a pedestrian sidewalk which had no barriers around it, when builders started knocking out the glass windows on the 5th floor onto the footpath below. Glass falling all around me, it was seriously dangerous, not to mention all the broken glass on the road. Duh.

... A crane lifting the giant Esprit sign onto the top floor of a major shop on the Zeil, Frankfurt's busiest shopping street, with no barriers so shoppers walked underneath the sign as it was being lifted - Each letter was over a story and a half high, and must have weighted tonnes, if one of them fell... All they had to to was put barriers around the crane and between the crane and the building... but duh.

... The other day I was walking up the steps in the Hauptbahnhof (central station) from the U-bahn. However, cleaners were high pressure spraying the steps with soapy water and didn't bother to put a barrier up. The steps were incredibly slippery. If someone from above had gone off the train and was running to catch an S-bahn or U-bahn and took the steps they would have made a nasty fall. How hard is it to barrier...? Duh.

It's like this on a daily basis here, so I can only presume that the safety tests on the train system is also as slack.

That said, the one about not have mixed 6 car and 7 car trains is totally over the top. There are levels that define good safety practice and fear of law suits - I suppose that's what it all comes down to. We have mixed length trains here all the time, and people don't walk along going "hummm, de humm, la-de-da, let's open this door I can not see, and walk through to the carriage that isn't in front of me, despite the fact I see the end of the train a few yards up... Opps, I seem to have fallen on 400Volts. Ouch, that hurts. la-de-da.. "
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:25 PM   #294
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
The requirement was imposed because of concerns that passengers might become confused and fall on to the track while attempting to board a seventh carriage on trains which only had six.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:47 AM   #295
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Then do not open the platform doors after the sixth carriage..
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #296
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Going underground:
Could we chart the branches and connections of 100 years of music using the London Underground map?
Dorian Lynskey explains how a box of coloured crayons and a lot of swearing helped

3 February 2006
The Guardian

Click above to download fullversion in PDF

It seems like a deeply implausible project: to plot the history of 20th century music on the London Underground map devised by Harry Beck in 1933. Artist Simon Patterson transformed the tube map into a constellation of famous names in his 1992 work The Great Bear, but he didn't have to make them all link up. It is, after all, a tall order to find a saint who was also a comedian. But for this one to work every interchange had to be logical in the context of musical history, an unlikely prospect.

I started out with a packet of coloured crayons, four sheets of A4 taped together and a big box of doubt, but the different character of each line quickly lent itself to a certain genre. Pop intersects with everything else, so that had to be the Circle Line; classical music for the most part occupies its own sphere, which made it perfect for the Docklands Light Railway. There were a couple of false starts but by the end of one afternoon I had assigned genres to almost all the lines and thrashed out most of the major intersections. The key stations naturally went to the most eclectic artists, not necessarily the most important: the Beatles may be more significant than Beck but even their most devoted fan must admit that they never tried rapping.

The system thus in place, the next couple of days were devoted to writing names in, scribbling them out (sorry, Doug E Fresh and Lynyrd Skynyrd), agonising over certain omissions, asking classical music critic Tom Service for invaluable help with the DLR, and swearing just a little bit. Amazingly, there were no calamitous blind alleys. It just seemed to make sense.

I tried as far as possible to be objective. Some bands I cannot stand are in here, while some that I love dearly aren't. I also followed chronology wherever the path of the line allowed it. Each branch line represents a sub-genre: rock sprouts off into grunge and psychedelia when it reaches South-West London; hip-hop diverges, north of Camden, into old school and New York rap. If I was really lucky, the band name echoed the original station name: Highbury & Islington became Sly & the Family Stone.

Pedants, of course, will find flaws. Musical influences are so labyrinthine that any simple equation will be imperfect. Where, for example, does pop stop and rock begin? How can you draw a decisive line between soul and funk? These are problems that have plagued record shop proprietors for decades and they're not going to be solved here. But I think all of these choices are justifiable given the limitations of the form.

Other people will quibble with omissions - it's a shame, for example, that the Circle Line constantly runs in tandem with either the District or Metropolitan lines, thus leaving no room for pure pop acts such as Kylie Minogue and the Pet Shop Boys. I should also point out that, to keep my head from exploding, I limited the remit to western, predominately Anglo-American music. Then there are those changes necessitated by London Underground's understandable sensitivity to explosive references: arrividerci, Massive Attack. For some reason, they also took exception to the late rapper Ol' Dirty Bastard.

But this is not some definitive history of music. It's an experiment to see if one intricate network can be overlaid on a completely different one. The elegance and logic of Harry Beck's design - its combination of bustling intersections, sprawling tributaries, long, slanting tangents and abrupt dead ends, all sucked into the overturned wine bottle of the Circle Line - seems to spark other connections and appeal to the brain's innate desire for patterning and structure. Plus it's fun, as any piece of music journalism created with coloured crayons should be. I hope you like it.

Tell us what you think of the map at www.guardian.co.uk/arts Buy the map at www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk Special thanks to Chris Townsend at Transport for London and Andrew Jones at London Underground.

Old February 4th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #297
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3653

Original and nice idea.

ThankS
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #298
JDRS
Against ID Cards

From BBC News

Thousands join Tube strike vote

Thousands more Tube workers are to be balloted on strikes in a continuing row over industrial relations.

A total of 1,500 train drivers have already voted on the issue with the result due on Thursday.

A further 5,000 workers, including signallers and station staff, will now be joining the vote, the Rail, Maritime and Transport Union (RMT) said.

London Underground (LU) said: "There is no more justification for this ballot than the last one."

"Playground tactics"

Mike Brown, of LU, said the company was committed to consultation with its employees and trade unions "using our agreed procedures".

The RMT claims LU has undermined industrial relations "right across the company".

But Roger Evans, chairman of the London Assembly Transport Committee, said a strike would be unnecessary and "totally out of order".

He said the unions were "resorting to bullying tactics to achieve their goals" and called for them to stop.

'Ignoring procedures'

RMT General Secretary Bob Crow said that the issues affecting train operators still had to be resolved.

Train drivers belonging to the RMT and Aslef unions have been voting over issues including policy on signals passed at danger, health and safety, harassment and discipline.

Mr Crow said the RMT executive had now agreed to ballot all other Tube members.

He said that LU was "ignoring its own procedures and trying to impose changes and bypass its established negotiating machinery".
Old February 6th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #299
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Tubeman I think I have just seen you on the TV. On that program called tube, the one where that train breaks down?
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #300
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
Tubeman I think I have just seen you on the TV. On that program called tube, the one where that train breaks down?

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground