daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #3521
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

Official from TfL:

Quote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media...r-road-station

New energy efficient lifts to be installed at Gloucester Road
22 April 2014

New modern lifts will mean a more reliable service for customers

Customers using Gloucester Road station are set to benefit from brand new lifts at the station which will mean a quicker, more reliable service.

The current lifts at Gloucester Road station were installed around 25 years ago and work to replace them simultaneously will begin towards the end of May.

The new modern lifts are expected to be installed and operational by December 2014.

By replacing the lifts simultaneously, TfL will reduce the impact on customers using the station as the total time to replace the lifts will be around 7 months rather than 13 months.

The new lifts will also be more energy efficient and contribute towards TfL’s commitment to reduce its carbon footprint.

While the lifts are replaced Piccadilly line trains won’t stop at Gloucester Road station.

Circle and District line services will continue to serve Gloucester Road as usual, with Piccadilly line services available from South Kensington and Earl’s Court, both of which provide an interchange with the District line.

Phil Hufton, Chief Operating Officer for London Underground, said: “The lift replacement work at Gloucester Road is part of a vital programme of works to renew and upgrade escalators and lifts across the network to make them fit for the future and to improve reliability. We have explored various options to carry out these works, while keeping disruption to a minimum for our customers. This included the option of replacing the lifts one at a time to enable the Piccadilly line to stop at the station. Due to our consideration for the safety of our customers it would have been difficult to cope with the number of customers who use the Piccadilly line, with only one lift in operation. We apologise for the disruption to journeys this will cause in the short-term, but customers will experience the benefits of a more reliable lift service in future.”

Replacing the lifts will require engineers to completely remove the existing lift cars as well as replace all of the structural, mechanical and electrical parts. Work to modify the steel structure work within the lift shaft is also required, adding to the complexity of the work. Ancillary services, including fire safety systems and ventilation, will also be overhauled as part of this work.
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2014, 08:44 AM   #3522
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

London Underground pre-selects Thales for SSL signalling
Friday, April 25, 2014

LONDON Underground (LU) is to invite Thales to tender for the contract to replace signalling on the Circle, Hammesmith & City, District and Metropolitan lines, following a detailed pre-qualification process which was initiated in December after Bombardier and LU agreed to abandon its 2011 contract for the work.

LU subsequently issued an OJEU notice at the beginning of the year asking for expressions of interest to supply a signalling system for the Sub-Surface Railway, one of the oldest and most complex sections of its underground network. LU says that Thales subsequently presented a solution that will meet the intricate operational requirements of the lines, which comprise 40% of the network.

The work will involve replacement and modernisation of signalling on each of the lines to allow more trains to run more frequently and to increase reliability. Combined with the delivery of 191 air-conditioned S-Stock trains from Bombardier, which are already in use on the Metropolitan, Circle, and Hammersmith & City lines, and are being introduced on the District Line, the project will increase capacity on the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines by 65%, the District Line by 24%, and the Metropolitan Line by 27%.

In the next step for the project, LU says it will work with Thales to secure a firm commitment with a competitive cost that delivers value for money and a reliable and realistic commissioning programme.

"This is an important step in ensuring that the delivery of this vital upgrade remains on course," says Mr Mike Brown, LU managing director. "The signalling system on these lines is some of the oldest in use anywhere in the world, with some of it dating back to the 1930s. The modernisation work will mean more frequent, more reliable and less crowded journeys for our customers, and will help us to meet rapidly growing customer demand."
Old April 28th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #3523
dimlys1994

Well folks, congratulations on new PML DLR station - one big step towards Crossrail and doubling DLR Stratford - Bow Road section:

Quote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media...ding-mill-lane

New DLR station opens at Pudding Mill Lane
28 April 2014
  • New station and tracks will deliver better reliability and more capacity
  • Works delivered on time and within budget
The new Docklands Light Railway (DLR) Pudding Mill Lane station – now the largest on the DLR network - was today, Monday 28th April 2014, open to the public for the first time.

The station, along with ‘double-tracked’ rails that link it to the wider DLR network, will boost capacity to enable the railway to carry an extra 1,100 passengers per hour and deliver improved service reliability on the increasingly popular route between Stratford and Canary Wharf/Lewisham.

Transport for London’s DLR Director, Rory O’Neill, said:

'The new station at Pudding Mill Lane will be a great asset to commuters, local residents and to visitors to this part of the capital. With the largest capacity on the DLR network the station will provide excellent access for people travelling to new entertainment venues in the area and to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.'

The Pudding Mill Lane station project was undertaken with Crossrail, which has moved the location of the previous station to make room for a tunnel portal for one of its new lines, as part of Europe’s largest infrastructure project.

From the end of 2018, Crossrail trains will emerge from the new tunnels at Pudding Mill Lane and join existing rail lines through northeast London to Essex. DLR passengers will be able to interchange with Crossrail, London Underground, London Overground and National Rail at Stratford station.

In a major piece of civil engineering, Crossrail’s works involved building the new Weston Williamson-designed station, as well as a tunnel portal and approach ramp.

Careful management of works was required because of the site’s close proximity to vital sewerage and power utilities, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, live National Rail and DLR lines and an entry portal for Crossrail tunnel boring machines heading towards the City.

Andrew Wolstenholme, Crossrail Chief Executive, said:

'The team is very proud to have delivered this new piece of infrastructure on time and within budget. This was a large and challenging project with the London Olympic and Paralympic Games, Great Eastern Mainline, DLR and several crucial London utilities all on our doorstep. It required sophisticated engineering and construction work and a great deal of communication and collaboration to get to this point. It is another great example of what can be achieved by working well together.'
And some of the photos, taken from Londonist, The Wharf and Twitter. The same photos can be seen on Crossrail's website:

And from Londonist, future layout around Pudding Mill Lane area:

Ladiesman020, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by dimlys1994; April 28th, 2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old April 29th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #3524
dimlys1994

More photos from Pudding Mill Lane, all photos are taken by Flickr user diamond geezer:

New Pudding Mill Lane station by diamond geezer, on Flickr

Equario, kyah117, geometarkv liked this post
Old April 29th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #3525
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Hardly surprising.. The subsurface lines were built using cut and cover before the first tube lines were tunnelled..
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #3526
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDriven View Post
Interestingly, the District and Circle line trains are more extensive and taller than alternate lines. It's not difficult to knock the head while remaining by the entryway on the common London Underground prepare.
So are the metropolitan and Hammersmith and City line trains. Together they comprise the sub surface lines or SSL.

By your last sentence I assume you mean that 'it's not had to hit the roof of a taller train in the lower tube tunnels mouth'. If so then that is incorrect since on the shared tracks where the tube mouths and SSL diverge there is equipment in place so that should a SSL train be diverted into the tube mouth it will break a glass arch and trip cocks will activate stopping the train safely.

Also how do you have 4 likes when you only have one post (the one I've replied to?!)
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #3527
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
Also how do you have 4 likes when you only have one post (the one I've replied to?!)
He's had fellow bots like his posts that have since been deleted.

I'm surprised you think his post passes the Turing test (though I should say that its software is better than before)...

I think it was aiming at people hitting their head in tube train carriages (something I've never seen, though I have seen people stoop many-a-time)
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #3528
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

The Underground uses very small trains because the tunnels (where the name Tube comes from) are rather old and with a limited cross-section.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #3529
Manchester77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
He's had fellow bots like his posts that have since been deleted.

I'm surprised you think his post passes the Turing test (though I should say that its software is better than before)...

I think it was aiming at people hitting their head in tube train carriages (something I've never seen, though I have seen people stoop many-a-time)
Oops sorry mustn't have been thinking straight
However I did think his post was a tad odd
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:25 AM   #3530
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by London24.com
Today’s (Tuesday) Tube strike might have created chaos around the city but you can take a moment to relax with these pictures of the underground since its inception - one for each decade.

(Chancellor of the Exchequer William Gladstone with directors and engineers of the Metropolitan Railway Company on an inspection tour of the world's first underground line. Built between Paddington and the City of London, it opened in January 1863. Gladstone is in the front row, near right)
A further 11 photographs can be accessed by clicking Here

Attus liked this post
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 04:08 PM   #3531
Antje
Public Transport Fan

@IanCleverly

The London24.com has an erroneous caption for the last photo. It should be:

"Passengers wait to board one of the last trains from Green Park in a strike against plans to part-privatise the Tube."
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:37 PM   #3532
dimlys1994

Found on iTunes, I think this is best ever tube station navigator that I've ever seen. It costs 3$ and consists station information and 3D maps. Here is where you can buy it, if you have iPad:
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/stati...t=IndexSidebar

Some of 3D maps from the app:

Old May 2nd, 2014, 04:50 PM   #3533
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Likes (Received): 904

Any Android version?
georgiaame
Will Etihad do a bacon sandwich for that price? I didn't think so.

tullamarine I don't think Etihad (or Emirates for that matter) will do a bacon sandwich at any price!!! Qantas customers on Sydney/Melbourne-London lost bacon from the breakfast menu following the Emirates alliance.

BaconButty I finally understand the true horrors of globalization.
ScuderiaVincero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 05:19 PM   #3534
dimlys1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuderiaVincero View Post
Any Android version?
Not yet, but developers promised Android version

ScuderiaVincero liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2014, 05:27 PM   #3535
Manchester77

Had that app for a while and it's been great to see it evolve, it's very good now even if you're not a regular traveler it's worth having if you do go to London or just want a bit of fun

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:57 PM   #3536
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Likes (Received): 904

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Not yet, but developers promised Android version
Ah, thank you!
georgiaame
Will Etihad do a bacon sandwich for that price? I didn't think so.

tullamarine I don't think Etihad (or Emirates for that matter) will do a bacon sandwich at any price!!! Qantas customers on Sydney/Melbourne-London lost bacon from the breakfast menu following the Emirates alliance.

BaconButty I finally understand the true horrors of globalization.

dimlys1994 liked this post
ScuderiaVincero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #3537
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Found on iTunes, I think this is best ever tube station navigator that I've ever seen. It costs 3$ and consists station information and 3D maps. Here is where you can buy it, if you have iPad:
http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/stati...t=IndexSidebar
I can't remember when it was released, but I remember seeing it on an episode of the BBC's 'Click' programme, but there's also an 'app(lication') to show you the best carriage to be at a station to be as close to the exits as possible.

Imaginatively, it's called Tube Exits.
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 01:44 AM   #3538
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCleverly View Post
I can't remember when it was released, but I remember seeing it on an episode of the BBC's 'Click' programme, but there's also an 'app(lication') to show you the best carriage to be at a station to be as close to the exits as possible.

Imaginatively, it's called Tube Exits.
In South Korea the subway trains are incredible long so they have a big sign with transfer information on the platform screens - gives you the best car to ride for each particular transfer. Extremely useful as it can make the difference between catching the first train that arrives or waiting 5 min for the next one. Don't think I ever took a photo of it myself but found this one, the yellow triangles have a car/door number i.e. 1/1, 8/3

DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #3539
dimlys1994

From This is Local London

Quote:
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/n...ion_DLR_plans/

Greenwich Council 'betraying' Eltham by shelving £1billion DLR plans
2nd May 2014

Greenwich Council has been accused of "betraying" Eltham residents by "shelving" £1billion plans to extend the DLR to the area.

Proposals to bring the line to Eltham were driven forward by Greenwich Council in 2010 with cash spent on two feasibility reports.

Its route would offer a new tunnel river crossing and would run from Silvertown, emerging on the Peninsula to meet the BTSA on the east side and then running along the centre of the A2 on an elevated structure.

But Greenwich Conservative Leader Councillor Spencer Drury has revealed the council never presented a key report to the Mayor of London and TfL, despite being asked for it.

Coun Drury said: "I feel the council quietly shelved the plans, not even contacting the Mayor with the second report despite his willingness to consider an extension.

"If they’d bothered sending the report, Eltham may even have been some of the way towards having a DLR extension by now.

"It is simply another betrayal of the people of Eltham."

He added the council were treating residents in the south of the borough like "fools" while spending around £9m on Woolwich's Crossrail station.

He claims when grilled on the issue, council chiefs said they were waiting to see what the Mayor’s plans on the controversial Silvertown tunnel link - near to the Blackwall crossing - would be.

It comes as studies by campaign groups’ No to Silvertown Tunnel (NtST) and Don’t Dump on Deptford have shown air pollution in the area is two-and-a-half times over European legal limits.

The groups warn these levels will increase if more pressure is piled on to the road network with a new tunnel.

Darryl Chamberlain, from NtST, said: "Local politicians are backing dangerous plans for the Silvertown Tunnel rather than taking a stand against the lethal air pollution that blights our communities, and the traffic that causes it.

"A new tunnel will only bring extra traffic - it won't bring relief from congestion or pollution."

To view the results of the studies visit silvertowntunnel.co.uk.

A Greenwich Council spokesman said: "Greenwich Council remains committed to improving public transport links across the whole of the borough.

"We have already fought hard to bring the first DLR and Tube links to the borough and are delighted that accessibility in the Royal Borough will shortly be transformed by the arrival of Crossrail.

"We have looked closely at the possibility of a DLR extension into Eltham including commissioning feasibility studies into the proposal.

"We remain fully committed to this work - which has to be part of a wider ‘jigsaw’ of transport links for the borough.

"Since this work started TfL announced it was exploring new river crossings. We have consistently argued that any new river crossings should have provision for public transport and that the inclusion of the DLR ought to be considered.

"Making all parts of our borough as accessible as possible for residents and businesses remains a key priority and the DLR study was part of this.”
Old May 19th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #3540
dimlys1994

Official from TfL:

Quote:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media...ccessible-tube

LU unveils new boarding ramps for a more accessible Tube
16 May 2014
  • UK's first 'bridge style' ramp design closes the gap between platform and train where traditional ramps could not be used
  • Three stations set to use this new ramp from next month, enabling step-free access from street to train, with more to follow later in the year
More Tube stations across the network are set to become easier to access for mobility-impaired customers following work by LU to create innovative new 'bridge' style boarding ramps.

The new ramps have been designed to solve the problem at stations where there is a gap and step down from platform to train.

Traditional ramp designs are unsuitable for use in these situations, so LU has been working hard to develop and trial a unique new design, and gain the necessary approvals from the Department for Transport and Office of Rail Regulation.

The ramps will be introduced at three Jubilee line stations during June - Kilburn, Stanmore and Wembley Park – making journeys at these stations step-free from street to train, and fully accessible to wheelchair users, for the first time.

These will then be introduced at further stations on the network later in the summer, following staff training.

The work is part of a huge range of improvements being delivered by the Mayor and TfL to continue to embed the legacy of accessible travel promised after the 2012 Games.

Many large-scale accessibility improvements are underway including TfL investing £250 million in step-free projects at stations including Bond Street, Greenford, Tottenham Court Road, Vauxhall and Victoria.

More step-free projects are being progressed with third party developers and additional stations are being made partially step-free. London will see at least 25 London Underground and London Overground stations become step-free over the next 10 years - as well as dozens of National Rail stations and accessible Crossrail stations in the heart of the city.

LU’s programme of accessibility work uses a mix of permanent level access at new stations, permanent raised platform sections, low-floor trains and boarding ramps.

By 2016 a third of Tube platforms will have level access by one of these means, up from 15 per cent last year.

Isabel Dedring, Deputy Mayor for Transport said: "We’ve been determined to create a ramp which works at those tricky stations where there is a gap and step down from platform to train. This innovative new design is a UK first and will make a real contribution to boosting accessibility - opening up more Tube stations to more people. This is just one of the measures we're carrying out to make getting around London easier for everyone – including more step-free stations, raised platform sections, new low-floor trains with the latest accessibility standards and much more."

Gareth Powell, London Underground’s Director of Strategy & Service Development said: “We’ve been using ramps to bridge the gap between platform and train since 2012, but disabled customers at some stations have missed out because traditional ramps were not designed for the unique set up at some of our stations, where there is a gap and step down from platform to train. These new ramps will mean new travel options and better, more accessible journeys, for our customers.”

Jeff Harvey from Transport for All said: “I am very happy to hear the new ramps will make Kilburn Station and others accessible to me and other wheelchair users, finally opening up parts of the Underground network for us to use. This will cut some of my journeys down by over an hour, which can make the difference between being able to attend an event, class or job interview, or having to say no. It is encouraging that Transport for All and our members were able to interact with TfL during planning and even participate in testing the new ramps. I hope such involvement continues so that all remaining stations where a gap prevents people boarding the train can benefit from a ramp.”

Transport for London has set out how it will make the journeys of millions of disabled and older Londoners even easier.

Measures being put in place include:
  • As part of the additional £18 million investment announced last year to make bus stops more accessible, 75 per cent of all stops will be accessible by April this year, with at least 95 per cent accessible by the end of 2016 - bringing even greater ease of use to a bus network that is already the most accessible in the country
  • The remaining 5 per cent of pedestrian crossings yet to be brought up to accessibility standards will be upgraded with tactile paving and rotating cones or audible alerts as appropriate. A total of 39 sites will be upgraded by March, as we progress towards making 100 per cent accessible by 2016
  • Following the success of the accessibility training at a number of London Underground 'Centre of Excellence' stations, enhanced accessibility training will be introduced at more stations and for staff on London Overground. This is on top of the huge improvements that are being made to bus staff training
  • TfL’s new and improved website is now available with a fully redeveloped section on accessibility. Later in the year further improvements will be made so that the Journey Planner tool can plan and suggest journeys based on real time information on the availability of lifts and escalators

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground