daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #341
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11120

Happy Birthday

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #342
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1355

Happy birthday!
100 years ago the construction just started for Hamburg's first metro line. This is commemorated at some stations with old black-white postersize photos of the construction phase. Also with banners in the carriages and with flyers telling the story. I wonder what they do in six years when the centenniary of the opening of the first metro line takes place.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:30 AM   #343
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18139

London Transport Fares Surge Again for 2007

London transport fares surge again for 2007

LONDON, Jan 2, 2007 (AFP) - As usual for the first day back at work in the new year, London commuters were groaning Tuesday about fare rises on what is already one of the world's busiest and most expensive public transport systems.

The price of a single Underground train journey in the city centre rose by a third to four pounds (eight dollars, six euros), while bus tickets rose by the same fraction to two pounds.

The tariffs are designed to encourage commuters to switch to the "Oyster" electronic smart card, where fares have been frozen at 1.50 pounds on the Tube and one pound on the bus, though off-peak bus fares rise 20 pence to one pound.

Tourists are likely to be hit hard by the measures as many are unlikely to have signed up for an Oyster card.

In Paris, the cheapest ticket costs 1.40 euros, in Tokyo it is just over one euro and in New York it costs two dollars.

"The headlines about big cash fare increases today show that the savings are now to be found on Oyster with many Oyster fares now half the cost of the cash alternative," said London Mayor Ken Livingstone.

London's mainline rail commuters faced average price rises of 4.3 percent, which is above the July inflation rate of three percent -- the date and level set by the government for calculating the price hikes.

Christian Wolmar, a commentator for London's Evening Standard newspaper, wrote: "The move towards Oyster may be sensible, but it should not be used as a heavy tax on tourists.

"Our transport system is the lifeblood of the capital, on which depends the whole British economy. Fleecing commuters rather than investing properly isn't just wrong-headed and unfair. It's counter-productive."

Katherine Burr, a sales executive from Sevenoaks, south of London, told the newspaper: "It really ticks me off to pay more money but what can you do?

"The train service was really bad towards the end of last year. The connections never add up, services are breaking down and then they charge more money."

Commenting on the rail fares, Chris Grayling, the main opposition Conservatives' transport spokesman, said: "This is further evidence that high fares are a deliberate part of government strategy to tackle overcrowding on trains.

"We can't expect people to leave their cars at home if they are being priced off the railways."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM   #344
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Bollocks. If people bothered to get Oyster they'd find fares have been frozen for a second year, which is effectively a reduction considering inflation. And its not a tax on tourists, tourists are perfectly able to purchase Oyster for a £3 deposit returnable when they leave... Its no different to other cities with a smartcard system like Singapore.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:12 PM   #345
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

From a tourist's perspective, it looks rather shady. Why raise fares to $8??? That's unreal. If the Tube really wanted people to switch to Oyster, they would just do away with the fare system and make Oyster mandatory to all. The majority of people who don't have oyster are who? Tourists (I think).

So put some oyster vending machines in the stations and make them required instead of forcing some insane fare on people who aren't in the 'know' about the smartcards. And in most places, don't you have to be a resident to have one? I'm in Lyon and only locals can get them.

But thanks for letting me know that non-londoners can get Oyster. When I go there this weekend (for the first time!!) I'll make sure to get one. Yay!

Also, does anybody know a site that has a site of metro budgets? Like the percentage of fares that cover operating costs? Can't find any...
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM   #346
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

From a tourist's perspective, it looks rather shady. Why raise fares to $8??? That's unreal. If the Tube really wanted people to switch to Oyster, they would just do away with the fare system and make Oyster mandatory to all. The majority of people who don't have oyster are who? Tourists (I think).

So put some oyster vending machines in the stations and make them required instead of forcing some insane fare on people who aren't in the 'know' about the smartcards. And in most places, don't you have to be a resident to have one? I'm in Lyon and only locals can get them.

But thanks for letting me know that non-londoners can get Oyster. When I go there this weekend (for the first time!!) I'll make sure to get one. Yay!

Also, does anybody know a site that has a site of metro budgets? Like the percentage of fares that cover operating costs? Can't find any...
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:43 PM   #347
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86 View Post

They are doing away with cash fares - this is the whole point i.e. forcing people to get Oyster. You can get Oystercards from tourist boards in the USA as I understand.

If you just said 'tomorrow, there will be no cash fares' you'd have chaos...
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #348
hkskyline
Hong Kong

It's not hard to get an Oyster anyway although the cash fare amount does seem excessive. I think I still have my Oyster stashed somewhere.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 4th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #349
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

You get an Oyster, you hand it in again and get your £ 3 plus whatever's left on it if you use prepay back. It's really easy.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #350
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Wow $8 USD? People are already complaining the fare being $2 in NY...
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #351
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

kub86, why don't you buy a Travelcard instead (Get a passport sized photo as well for 7-day Card), as you won't stay London for long? You may check it on The Tube Website.

What a shame for London the most expansive city on the public transport now!!!
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #352
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Bollocks. If people bothered to get Oyster they'd find fares have been frozen for a second year, which is effectively a reduction considering inflation. And its not a tax on tourists, tourists are perfectly able to purchase Oyster for a £3 deposit returnable when they leave... Its no different to other cities with a smartcard system like Singapore.
Londoners have it good in a sense. In Singapore the S$3 deposit (1 pound) is actually non refundable as its to cover the cost of making the card (If was refundable until about two years ago). After all, any card that is sold is sold at a loss apparently. And if a card is not used it becomes a liability to the company.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #353
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Its freaking scary to charge people the equivilent of 12 Singapore dollars or 4 pounds for a one station trip for instance. The same would cost about 0.33 pound in Singapore. But I guess the investments in transport in London are worth it?

Its certainly an extreme way to totally get people off paying cash. I would definitely buy an oyster when I visit London.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #354
MelbourneCity

Are Oyster cards readily available to tourists???

I'll probably be in London late this year - I sure aint forking out close to $15 to ride a few stops on the tube.

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #355
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Travelcard Fares
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...elcard-day.asp

You can get a Travelcard on an Oyster :
https://sales.oystercard.com/oyster/...roductType=PPT

"For each Oyster card, the system automatically adds up the cost of each pay as you go journey made that day on Tube, DLR, Buses, Trams and participating National Rail services.

When the total cost reaches a pre-determined limit, a cap is applied and further journeys made in the same zones are free for the rest of the day."

Old January 4th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #356
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4724

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
The tariffs are designed to encourage commuters to switch to the "Oyster" electronic smart card, where fares have been frozen at 1.50 pounds on the Tube and one pound on the bus, though off-peak bus fares rise 20 pence to one pound.

Tourists are likely to be hit hard by the measures as many are unlikely to have signed up for an Oyster card.
Is the Oyster card more interesting than Offpeak Travelcard for a few days staying ?
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #357
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
Is the Oyster card more interesting than Offpeak Travelcard for a few days staying ?
I used an Oyster for my London visit. The good thing is if I don't log enough days to make a Travelcard worthwhile, I only pay the individual trips. Oyster automatically calculates the cheapest combination for you. However, I'm not sure how the Off-peak Travelcard works, although Oyster does support Travelcards :

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...elcard-day.asp

Old January 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #358
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 779

For those wondering about Oyster cards for tourists, yes, they are easily purchased when arriving at your first station. I done this in Heathrow once and got a weeks travel card for Zone's 1&2 and a £10 top up on it.

What this meant, was of cause if I travel anywhere in zone 1&2 for a week it was part of the weekly pass. However, I started my journey in Heathrow and would end it there, so that was taken off the £10 credit I added to the card. It only charged from Heathrow (zone 6) to zone 3 which after that my weekly travelcard (zone 1/2) came into play.

It worked pretty well, and I still have the card, so when I next went to London, I just topped it up.

I liked the price capping as well. Let's say I had the weekly travel pass for zones 1/2. This is fine for unlimited travel on all buses, trains, tube, DLR etc if it's in zone 1/2. But say one day in that week I need to travel extensively through theouter zones, say up to zone 4. When I leave zone 2, it will charge me extra from the credit I have on the card, but will stop charging me when this reaches the price of a daily travel card for that zone. If I was buying single fares, it would keep adding up, but you don't have to think about it with the card, as you know it will stop once it reaches the cap. Brilliant idea.

As a tourist, my only gripe was that at the time, I couldn't purchase one online as I didn't live in Britain, or top one up online like you could in the UK. However, I don't know if they have changed this now - it would be handy as it would save me lining up when I got to Heathrow, but not too important.

Oddly enough they never charged me the £3 deposit ???

One other point that I don't like, I often stay with family in Hemel Hempstead. This is 25minutes from central London, but not on the underground. Sadly, despite being so close, the Oyster card doesn't work from there, so I still then have to buy a paper travel ticket for London - this should be fixed!

So, for those gasping at the £4 for a single fare, no, you don't have to pay that. Just get an Oyster like everyone else and it's £1.5
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #359
Skabbymuff
Living in the past SUCKS

what happens when everyone has oyster cards? how will the system cope in the loss of revenue created by insanely high cash payments? by hiking the prices right up on the oyster card i suspect.
Old January 6th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #360
chiccoplease

Likes (Received): 8

If they want tourists to get Oyster cards, they could start by installing Oyster vending machines and removing the cash ones (what's the current ratio? 1 Oyster (with a huge qeue) to 20 cash?). Besides, it's not that easy for foreigners to even figure out where to get the Oyster card. Do they want to spend 20 minutes in line, too? The whole measure aims at ripping off the visitors, nothing else.
chiccoplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground