daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2014, 02:33 AM   #3601
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19164

geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2014, 04:40 AM   #3602
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Sweet.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 11:48 AM   #3603
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

Hope you got your permit before taking all these pictures.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #3604
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
Hope you got your permit before taking all these pictures.
No, I don't.
I think that applies only to professional film crews or photographers (for example doing fashion shots) rather than ordinary Londoners or tourists.
Old July 25th, 2014, 02:34 PM   #3605
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
No, I don't.
I think that applies only to professional film crews or photographers (for example doing fashion shots) rather than ordinary Londoners or tourists.
Seemingly not, though that does seem excessive and incredibly difficult to obtain for the enthusiast just wanting some pictures for hobby purposes...
Quote:
Permits and costs
If you want to film or take photographs on the Tube you must ask permission ahead of time from the London Underground (LU) Film Office.

All permit requests must be made in writing, using our downloadable application form.

<snip>

Non-professional permit*

Crew or group size of five or less
Handheld equipment only
Cost: £50 including VAT - valid for one month
Not for publication or broadcast*
* The permit holder is not permitted to publish or broadcast without the prior permission of London Underground. Licence to Publish Contracts start at £300, please contact us for more information.

<snip>

Apply for a permit
Before you start your application, make sure you have all the following additional documentation:

Relevant copy of script/storyboard/brief/layout
Head and shoulders photograph (for non-professional permit only)
Certificate of insurance
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #3606
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Seemingly not, though that does seem excessive and incredibly difficult to obtain for the enthusiast just wanting some pictures for hobby purposes...
In that case it must be a joke.
Photography permit in the era of smartphones and digital cameras???

Welcome to the free country.
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #3607
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2089

This probably was conjured up by someone who's been sitting behind a desk since the beginning of time, in a windowless basement office at the far end of a long forgotten corridor. In order to get out and step into the real world, that person would probably have to apply to a hundred different, unrelated authorities using forms 121A, 121A-bis, 15.2.2.21, AXP1204 and 01Zq.15a in Cyrillic handwriting.

Which might explain why this policy is so far off from today's reality of smartphones and completely unenforceable.

geogregor, ScuderiaVincero liked this post
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:49 PM   #3608
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

I think that "non proffesional permit" is more intended for people making larger productions that just taking some pictures of the stations, such as cinematography students making short films for academic purposes.

It says "Crew or group size of five or less" implying there could be a relatively large production involving models, actors and/or some technical personnel.

It also asks for "Relevant copy of script/storyboard/brief/layout" also implying a relatively elaborate work.

The Underground is full of tourists taking pictures anyway.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:04 AM   #3609
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101692

What is it all about? If I turn up at the Tube and start taking pictures without this permit, will they detain me? I've got my Mark III when I travel. Is it considered a professional device.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:24 AM   #3610
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

It's essentially a way to turn a blind eye, while reserving the right to seize someone's material just in case. Also note that filming vandalism is also prohibited.

That's because they fear anti-social behaviour in the Tube could become known to the wider public.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #3611
natansalda
Natalja

Likes (Received): 320

Do you know what is "proffesional permission" and how much does it cost?
natansalda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #3612
stefeni-ts

Likes (Received): 41

You can't stop photography in this age of smart phones. I work for a local authority museum service and we have had to relax general photography rules as the old ones had become un-enforcable. We still require a permit (paid for) for Academic or professional filming or professional photography.with the millions passing through the tube a blanket permit would be in enforceable. I thought the general rule was no flash on platforms as it could affect the sight of drivers as a train emerges from a tunnel
stefeni-ts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 02:45 AM   #3613
Union Man
Interstellar

Likes (Received): 3667

Wednesday 30/07/2014

Amazing building can't wait till it becomes operational, also the walkway reminds me of 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Canary Wharf Crossrail by UnionManxl, on Flickr

Union Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 09:17 AM   #3614
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26131

The Mayor of London has published proposals for new infrastructure projects in London by 2050. Here what he wants for London's transport:
  • More 24/7 transit operations
  • Capacity and reliability improvements
  • HS2
  • Station upgrades
  • Overground extensions and upgrades
  • Crossrail 2
  • South London metro
  • Tram and light rail upgrade and extensions
  • Bakerloo line extension
  • Extensive rail based orbital network
  • Click and collect services
  • Seamless customer information
  • Cooler tube
  • Autonomus vehicles mainstream
  • Ultra low emission transport system
  • More fully accessible public transport
More you can find here:
https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/defa...esentation.pdf
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 12:42 PM   #3615
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Doesn't sound like a very ambitious program. There should be a massive plan to get rid of buses in most of London and replace them by new tube and, where warranted, overground light-rail. There should be some 5-6 new projects like DLR as well.
Old July 31st, 2014, 01:54 PM   #3616
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Doesn't sound like a very ambitious program. There should be a massive plan to get rid of buses in most of London and replace them by new tube and, where warranted, overground light-rail. There should be some 5-6 new projects like DLR as well.
It's £1.3tn worth of spending though. Replacing buses by tube lines is unrealistic because of the frequency of bus stops and the fact that the central area where lots of buses converge is already packed full of underground lines. Really you'd be aiming to replace the current bus fleet with either tram routes or hydrogen vehicles. Instead of pissing around with the NBfL you'd have invested in either proper electric buses or hydrogen buses. Trams in the centre of London sounds like a nightmare but as more and more measures are being put in place to deter cars from entering the Central area trams wouldn't be that hard to put in and they're not going yo be high floor like ours are in manchester so the real disruption would just be the tracks.

It sounds like the plan wants more LO conquests of the franchised rail network. I'm guessing that when the southeastern franchise comes up for renewal TfL will do their best to takeover the southeastern metro routes, and probably when the new TSGN franchise ends they'll try and take over the southern metro routes.

It's very ambitious to try and make 2/3 of journeys fully accessible that'll certainly needs lots of money thrown at it.
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 02:40 PM   #3617
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

If London had wider avenues and streets, some monorail lines could help as well, but that is unfortunately not the case.
Old July 31st, 2014, 06:52 PM   #3618
sotonsi

Quote:
If London had wider avenues and streets, some monorail lines could help as well, but that is unfortunately not the case.
I hear those things are awfully loud

The plan is both very ambitious, and not that ambitious at the same time. No DLR extensions, much of the transport spending coming from Thames Gateway Airport related schemes that won't happen as the airport won't (and the £1.3tn becomes £1tn come the Airports Commission report), only one tube extension (Bakerloo to Hayes and Beckenham Junction/Grove Park) and only two tram extensions (Sutton and the short East Croydon loop).

A lot of it is heavily investing in the current network - higher frequencies, station improvements, etc. London is getting bigger by getting denser and while a few chords and a new East London river crossing making a messy Overground circle, the Sutton Tramlink, Bakerloo extensions and Crossrail 2 (and maybe CR3) will enable new journeys, most of the plan is about making existing journeys better with less pollution, (sometimes) faster, (sometimes) longer and more frequent trains.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 05:29 PM   #3619
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Sydney here in Australia had a monorail that was built in the '80s and demolished last year. Not only was it more expensive to build than a similar light rail system it was also an absolute eyesore. The thought of a similar system being built in London leaves me cold...
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 05:40 PM   #3620
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
some monorail lines could help as well, but that is unfortunately not the case.
Man, please, change your fetish...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground