daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #3881
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Each city has its own set of problem and solutions , trying to copy one city's transit system would not work well ,or worse, be an white elephant.

For example, London they had been developing the systems years before any country really thought of a city Metro as an idea.

Another good example is the Tokyo metro, that system is kind of evolved from commuter rail to the busy multi-lines metro. However the way they had developed the system means they can hardly do any extension for any lines.

Even the island-state of Singapore have to have their own solution for the transit system. So "Dude" (Skyshakernowlive) don't impose a system onto any cities or country, it would not work. And also you are bloody everywhere...
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #3882
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsHalt View Post
Each city has its own set of problem and solutions , trying to copy one city's transit system would not work well ,or worse, be an white elephant.

For example, London they had been developing the systems years before any country really thought of a city Metro as an idea.

Another good example is the Tokyo metro, that system is kind of evolved from commuter rail to the busy multi-lines metro. However the way they had developed the system means they can hardly do any extension for any lines.

Even the island-state of Singapore have to have their own solution for the transit system. So "Dude" (Skyshakernowlive) don't impose a system onto any cities or country, it would not work. And also you are bloody everywhere...
That's not true. The Tokyo metro was completely segregated from its inception and the two oldest lines (Ginza and Marunouchi) are still segregated as they are third rail powered and standard gauge unlike the rest of the network which is adapted for through running of commuter lines (hence the Tokyu Toyoko line through the Fukutoshin line to the Seibu Ikebukuro and Tobu Tojo line and all the other interlining lines). As for the rest of it, the JR lines and private lines in Tokyo just defy all classification as they are simply not like lines around the world as they could fall into every category and none simultaneously.

Also, it is very easy to expand the metro network - there is plenty of scope, but not much political will given the coverage of the city is so extensive already.

But the rest of your post I agree with 100%. Each city has its positives and negatives and has tailored a solution to suit its unique case. Even between Osaka and Tokyo in the same country there are different solutions (Tokyo's spaghetti metro compared to Osaka's grid network).

Also, this guy is everywhere offering opinions on every transit system under the sun. Odd behaviour for a new user definitely!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 02:39 PM   #3883
Brenda goats

Likes (Received): 152

skyshakernowlive
Appears to have an attitude problem.....
Less aggression please.
Brenda goats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 04:40 PM   #3884
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Likes (Received): 904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Also, this guy is everywhere offering opinions on every transit system under the sun. Odd behaviour for a new user definitely!
If I may be so bold, I'd say he's enthusiastic, but not quite used to forum etiquette.
georgiaame
Will Etihad do a bacon sandwich for that price? I didn't think so.

tullamarine I don't think Etihad (or Emirates for that matter) will do a bacon sandwich at any price!!! Qantas customers on Sydney/Melbourne-London lost bacon from the breakfast menu following the Emirates alliance.

BaconButty I finally understand the true horrors of globalization.

Nouvellecosse liked this post
ScuderiaVincero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 09:10 PM   #3885
skyshakernowlive
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
That's not true. The Tokyo metro was completely segregated from its inception and the two oldest lines (Ginza and Marunouchi) are still segregated as they are third rail powered and standard gauge unlike the rest of the network which is adapted for through running of commuter lines (hence the Tokyu Toyoko line through the Fukutoshin line to the Seibu Ikebukuro and Tobu Tojo line and all the other interlining lines). As for the rest of it, the JR lines and private lines in Tokyo just defy all classification as they are simply not like lines around the world as they could fall into every category and none simultaneously.

Also, it is very easy to expand the metro network - there is plenty of scope, but not much political will given the coverage of the city is so extensive already.

But the rest of your post I agree with 100%. Each city has its positives and negatives and has tailored a solution to suit its unique case. Even between Osaka and Tokyo in the same country there are different solutions (Tokyo's spaghetti metro compared to Osaka's grid network).

If by JR and Private Lines, you mean the Commuter and JR lines, I think they are best classed a sbahn. They remind me of Thameslink, and increase the commuter zone of cities greatly.

The main difference between other systems and Tokyo is how ubahn trains merge into the sbahn network, and run services similar to RER trains.

Something I want to understand is how much influence privatization has. For example, how did the integration between sbahn and ubahn services happen? And why are Toei and Metro not merged?
skyshakernowlive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 10:29 PM   #3886
sotonsi

Tramlink is 15!
Here's a look at what the system might look like in 15 years

And here's a map I've drawn, with that on, save the Western turnback, as I couldn't work out where it would go or what trams (based on the frequencies they state) would supply it. Each line is 7-8tph and actual service pattern is unknown, as are a few other small details.

dimlys1994, Svartmetall, p_p, davroca5 liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 05:17 PM   #3887
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26154

Wimbledon station, taken by stevekeiretsu. Blue hoarding is for new second Tramlink platform:

Wimbledon station by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 07:09 PM   #3888
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

Why isn't Tramlink included in the standard Tube map.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 07:31 PM   #3889
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stravinsky View Post
Why isn't Tramlink included in the standard Tube map.
You mean the TfL map? Not sure. Probably because it is treated as buses for fares, etc.

I would have argued about it only having one anchor point, but that hasn't been true since the Overground reached West Croydon.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:05 PM   #3890
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26154

From Watford Observer:

Quote:
http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/12953400._/

Croxley Rail Link 'worth £8bn and will create 9,000 jobs'
Friday 15 May 2015

The Croxely Rail Link will create more than 9,000 jobs and be worth more than £8 billion to the economy, council chiefs estimate.

Hertfordshire County and Watford Borough council bosses have vowed to reap the full benefits of the £280m+ project.

The Croxley Rail Link is expected to be completed by 2018, linking Watford Junction and Watford High Street with London

SteveAWOL liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #3891
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2092

The new Tube Map has contracted a severe case of Orange Overground.

I'm not even sure it should be called a Tube Map anymore...

dimlys1994 liked this post
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #3892
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Well, in fact it's not a Tube map, it's a map of all urban rail transit lines.

The real problem is that DLR and Overground lines are not getting proper colors and identification.
As a user I look at that map and I can't understand what they mean. I find it a complete mess.

The best example remains this:

Here the style used for DLR and Overground is used for Regional trains, which are much less schematized than the urban lines (and much less important for the city).

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #3893
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Well, in fact it's not a Tube map, it's a map of all urban rail transit lines.
It's not that either - it's all TfL-operated/franchised rail services (and no, Tramlink doesn't count in that) and the Cable Car, but not anything else.
Old May 27th, 2015, 05:21 AM   #3894
Sameboat
Map assistant

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Watford Observer:
The "new rail service will create [insert number here] more jobs" claim feels terribly old and hypocritical. As a Hongkonger I know that the new railway only boosts prices of the surrounding properties considerably to the point that no first-time buyers (without backing of their parents) and decent tenants are able to afford them, which completely defeats the purpose of a commuter railway (helps commuters get to their working place efficiently.)

Last edited by Sameboat; May 27th, 2015 at 05:29 AM.
Sameboat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #3895
po8crg
Richard

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
It's not that either - it's all TfL-operated/franchised rail services (and no, Tramlink doesn't count in that) and the Cable Car, but not anything else.
Yeah, it's annoying that Thameslink isn't on it.
po8crg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #3896
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
The new Tube Map has contracted a severe case of Orange Overground.

I'm not even sure it should be called a Tube Map anymore...
And the gap between quantity of TfL services North of the Thames and South just became a canyon.

Alargule liked this post
Robi_damian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 02:52 PM   #3897
sotonsi

I can understand Kent CC's worries about loss of semi-fast services, etc for why the SE Overground extensions didn't happen.

However, you would have thought that the TSGN combined franchise would have allowed a web of Orange lines South of the river (as well as a couple more tentacles north of the river thanks to the GN&C)...
Old May 27th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #3898
po8crg
Richard

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
I can understand Kent CC's worries about loss of semi-fast services, etc for why the SE Overground extensions didn't happen.

However, you would have thought that the TSGN combined franchise would have allowed a web of Orange lines South of the river (as well as a couple more tentacles north of the river thanks to the GN&C)...
I was had a look at the London Connections map (now officially "London's Rail and Tube services") to see what terminates inside zone 6, and, south of the river, there's this:

SWT to Chessington South and Hampton Court

Southern to Epsom Downs, Tattenham Corner, Caterham, Beckenham Junction
Thameslink Wimbledon Loop (well it doesn't terminate but you know what I mean)

Southeastern to Hayes

Everything else runs off the map

(North of the river, there's just the two Heathrow services, FGW to Greenford and Anglia to Enfield Town and Chingford)
po8crg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2015, 08:47 PM   #3899
sotonsi

Stuff doesn't need to reach the end of the tracks to terminate. Nor do they have to remain within the zones - Kent don't want Orange rondels, but Herts do, Essex probably does, and Surrey might. Also you missed the SWT loops, and the ones on the Dartford lines, Orpington (where also tracks end) and the Bromley and Greenford shuttles.

However, I was simply thinking of the recent TSGN franchise award, and how there seems to be no trace in even bothering to remove the South Central Metro routes from the DfT franchise.

I was thinking along the limited lines of the following routes that were recently refranchised as part of the TSGN franchise:
  • London Bridge via Sydenham (stoppers only)
  • London Bridge via Peckham
  • Victoria via Gipsy Hill
  • Victoria via Norwood
  • WLL to Croydon (8-car, terminating at Shepherd's Bush (?) and supplemented by MK-Clapham Junction services operated by London Midland)
  • GN&C services (subject to Herts CC co-operation)
This would add Orange Rondels to the following stations: Victoria, Battersea Park, Wandsworth Common, Balham, Streatham Hill, Streatham, Streatham Common, London Bridge, South Bermondsey, East Dulwich, North Dulwich, Tulse Hill, West Norwood, Gipsy Hill, Birkbeck, Beckenham Junction, Norbury, Thornton Heath, Selhurst, Waddon, Wallington, Carshalton Beeches, Sutton, Belmont, Banstead, Epsom Downs, East Croydon, and South Croydon.
Old June 5th, 2015, 02:17 PM   #3900
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

A Wikipedia user has drawn a map that was featured on several media sites and even couple newspaper as being "much better to read". Nothing revolutionary, but interesting nonetheless.

If you click the original link, you can go to the bottom right where the key is and click specific lines to highlight them. I didn't know SVG files had that functionality

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground