daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #3941
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Northern line/Victoria line – Warren Street

Tube Strike Poster 2015 by Antje, on Flickr

Tonight and tomorrow will be total gridlock if there is absolutely no tube services.
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:45 AM   #3942
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26131

Whitechapel station reconstruction:
http://anonw.com/2015/07/08/whitecha...6th-july-2015/

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 10:06 AM   #3943
Brenda goats

Likes (Received): 152

The walking tube map.
How long it takes to walk between stations.

Ideal for strike days.
Brenda goats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #3944
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda goats View Post
The walking tube map.
How long it takes to walk between stations.

Ideal for strike days.
It's only ideal for strike days if you are either going just one stop, or the line you would normally take follows a straightish line and you can't cut a corner and save a lot of distance (eg not going Baker Street between Finchley Road and Euston Square - plus it's a nicer walk through Regent's Park).

dimlys1994 liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 02:23 PM   #3945
dimlys1994

Article about Bond Street station reconstruction:
http://www.railengineer.uk/2015/07/0...o-bond-street/

Union Man liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:16 PM   #3946
dimlys1994

From London SE1:

Quote:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/8381

Bakerloo line extension: TfL to make the case to Treasury
Saturday 11 July 2015

Transport for London will this month present a business case for an extension of the Bakerloo line to the Treasury in advance of the Government spending review due to be published later this year

Cllr Mark Williams, Southwark's cabinet member for regeneration and new homes, this week insisted that an extension with two branches through Southwark – one via Old Kent Road and another serving Camberwell and Peckham – was still possible.

"Current forecasts suggest that an alignment via Old Kent Road would have the strongest business case, but an alignment via Camberwell also shows a very strong case, well in excess of TfL's required threshold for investment," said Cllr Williams

Old July 13th, 2015, 11:45 PM   #3947
tonii

Likes (Received): 3307

With the renovation happens in Lewisham. The property price here will be skyrocket once the plan get approved.

tonii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 02:49 PM   #3948
Brenda goats

Likes (Received): 152

To strike, and deprive citizens of public transport is a social evil.
Brenda goats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 05:27 PM   #3949
R-Link
Very slow user

Likes (Received): 304

Why are trains in London underground so oval? Is this a special firm feature of underground?
R-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:26 PM   #3950
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8809

Historical reasons. They fit the dimensions of the tunnels they travelled through, and if I recall correctly (please correct me on this) the original deep level tunnels were tunnelled through rather problematic London clay, hence their economical sizing. The cut-and-cover lines, which were some of the first constructed and include the District, Metropolitan, Circle etc are of a more regular dimension. It is only those deep level tubes that are very "cosy".
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #3951
Winter Paradox

Likes (Received): 122

Can someone tell me if there will be an actual benefit in closing ticket halls because my local tube station is about to have theirs closed and I also see alot people use them too. It's a stupid idea in my opinion.

Cutting cost is not a viable answer. That line has been used for everything.
Winter Paradox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 07:46 PM   #3952
sotonsi

A key aim is to get the staff out of an office, and onto the concourses.

Last time I attempted to use a ticket office (actually, I just wanted to speak to a member of staff, but they insisted I needed a ticket office), I spoke to a staff member sitting on the seat and looking out the window of the ticket office, who berated me, and told me to come back in 2 hours when the ticket office was open. The other member of staff in the office (facing the assistance window on the platform) joined in the conversation and was much more helpful.

Without a ticket office, with its opening hours and walls, the rude member of staff would have had to actually provide assistance, rather than pretend that the window she was sat at was closed. She wasn't on a break, and there were other chairs that didn't face the public, but she refused to do her job as the ticket office was 'closed'.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 07:24 AM   #3953
Winter Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
A key aim is to get the staff out of an office, and onto the concourses.

Last time I attempted to use a ticket office (actually, I just wanted to speak to a member of staff, but they insisted I needed a ticket office), I spoke to a staff member sitting on the seat and looking out the window of the ticket office, who berated me, and told me to come back in 2 hours when the ticket office was open. The other member of staff in the office (facing the assistance window on the platform) joined in the conversation and was much more helpful.

Without a ticket office, with its opening hours and walls, the rude member of staff would have had to actually provide assistance, rather than pretend that the window she was sat at was closed. She wasn't on a break, and there were other chairs that didn't face the public, but she refused to do her job as the ticket office was 'closed'.
That and if they aren't on strike, am I right?

I do know what you mean and I hope that only a few stations have the huge problem of rude staff and not the majority. They just have to make sure there is two to three staff members in each station. I do like how they do it on TFL Rail and Overground Stations, making sure staff is visible. However I have had bad experiences on Underground Stations where the machines stop working and don't except my bank card and the last chance I had was the ticket office.

Also what about for those with travel warrants who need the ticket offices to scan it? Can the machine do that too or are they screwed?
Old July 16th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #3954
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Paradox View Post
However I have had bad experiences on Underground Stations where the machines stop working and don't except my bank card and the last chance I had was the ticket office.
Just a small point but I think you'll be able to use contactless bank cards soon. The tech has existed for years and years now, once we catch up then the vast majority of people won't need to buy tickets or Oyster before travelling.
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:48 AM   #3955
Paul Easton

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeguDuke View Post
Just a small point but I think you'll be able to use contactless bank cards soon. The tech has existed for years and years now, once we catch up then the vast majority of people won't need to buy tickets or Oyster before travelling.
TFL have been accepting contactless cards since last September - and Apple Pay.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless

Paul Easton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #3956
tonii

Likes (Received): 3307

Im not that impress with contactless. It is a lot slower than normal oyster card. And it cant show how much ive used per each travel. Worst with DLR when sometime it doesnt successfully checkout and u dont know. There was a time that it took 10 pounds from 1 journey.
tonii no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:02 PM   #3957
Winter Paradox

And you can't use contactless cards as a travelcard, weekly and monthly, so there still needs to be stations with working and updated ticket machine systems
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:21 PM   #3958
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Since last September? Haven't been in a while. I've got my oyster linked with my rail card, presumed that you couldn't link up contactless card in the same way. I used my bank card in Korea, they've had their system set up for years. But there're no monthly passes / rail cards there so that simplifies things. Don't see why you can't just set your bank card at a machine or online for weekly/monthly passes, will they offer this in the future?
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #3959
Winter Paradox

Londonist quick summary of Apple Pay.

Android have had NFC for several years but they decided to go for Apple instead who just started their contact connection.

What's your thoughts on Apple Pay being used?

Old July 17th, 2015, 02:45 PM   #3960
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Interesting concept, but it doesn't apply to me as I have the Freedom Pass (i.e. free travel for the disabled) in the TfL tariff area.
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground