daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #3981
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Piccadilly line – Leicester Square

Leicester Square (Piccadilly line) station by Antje, on Flickr

Station in 2013:

Leicester Square (Piccadilly line) Station by Antje, on Flickr

Sameboat, Nexis, geometarkv liked this post
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2015, 03:15 PM   #3982
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

Timelapse of stabling extension at Croydon tram depot :

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #3983
Sameboat
Map assistant

Likes (Received): 144

Upon reading Luke's story in oyster-rail.org.uk, I realize a route diagram, be it official or not, can lead to some unpleasantly misleading result. While it's the fare system's fault for not including all possible routes from point to point, I still feel partially responsible if someone ends up being charged unexpectedly for using my map alone to plan their journey.

Quote:
Back in June, I went from Heathrow to Wanstead via Clapham Junction, avoiding Zone 1. I used a credit card because I’d forgotten my Oyster card, and I ‘went pink’ at West Brompton and Canada Water.

I expected – well, hoped – to pay £2.80. But I ended up with TWO incomplete journeys at £7.60 each: one where I touched in at Heathrow but not out at Wanstead (it picked up the pink touches), and another where I touched out at Wanstead but not in at Heathrow. Madness.

Long story short, I eventually got the £12.40 back, in three payments – one to the credit card, and two to my bank account. One payment they said they’d sent didn’t arrive, and they wanted to see my financial records as proof. I wasn’t prepared to share my statements with them, and they eventually sent the missing money “again, as a gesture of goodwill”.

What a palaver.
Luke was lucky enough to get his money back by complaining to TfL, but foreign travelers are more likely to blindly accept the unnecessarily extra fare simply because they don't know any way to appeal.
Old September 15th, 2015, 05:05 PM   #3984
dimlys1994

Official from TfL:

Quote:
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/pr...of-new-tunnels

Major Victoria station breakthrough unites 300 metres of new tunnels
14 September 2015

A major milestone at Victoria Tube station has now been reached as part of its £700m upgrade, with a final tunnelling breakthrough. The 300 metres of new tunnels will link the brand new North ticket hall with the existing South ticket hall, which is being doubled in size to make journeys less crowded for the growing number of customers using the station.

London Underground (LU) engineers tunnelled through the final metre connecting the north and south tunnel schemes on Monday afternoon, completing the key section of this complex three-year tunnelling project. The work was completed behind-the-scenes with no disruption to Tube customers, despite the fact that in certain places it was carried out less than 30cm away from operational Victoria line platforms.

Victoria station is one of the busiest in London and is used by over 80 million customers each year - more than Heathrow Airport. A radical £700m transformation, set for completion in 2018, will increase the size of the station by 110% and will bring step-free access to Victoria for the first time in its 147-year history

Videos from New Civil Engineer magazine:

Wilhem275 liked this post
Old September 18th, 2015, 03:42 AM   #3985
snot

Likes (Received): 2389

Nobody posted this real distance map yet?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...s_3443046a.jpg

dimlys1994, arctic_carlos liked this post

Last edited by snot; September 18th, 2015 at 03:50 AM.
snot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 05:24 AM   #3986
Sameboat
Map assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...s_3443046a.jpg
Because Carto.fr does a better job and this map unfortunately is outdated...
Old September 18th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #3987
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101485

What is the built-up area of London as shown on the map above?

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #3988
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
That's not a real distance map.

The stations are in the right places, the lines are hit and miss as to their geographic accuracy.

Other London Underground threads were discussing this map: which adds next-to-nothing to the conversation other than "why do TfL have this map when it serves no purpose?"

Swede liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 05:39 AM   #3989
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

Alfred Leete The lure of the Underground 1927 © TfL from the London Transport Museum collection

Sameboat, Equario, Fooby liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 10:55 PM   #3990
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1586

Well the lure has got outta control. I need to let 5 trains pass every morning in front of me before I can enter one and let a bunch of unknown people crush me against the door while I need to lower my head so that the doors don't behead me when they close.

Stravinsky liked this post
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 11:05 PM   #3991
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4724

Somethibg is very awefull when using the Tube: lines have no numbers or letters.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 11:17 PM   #3992
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1586

agreed. It would be funny if there was a direct connection between all lines, I can picture the message "Change here for the Hammersmith and City and Waterloo and City lines".

Numbering the lines would be so much better for non-locals or in general people not used to use the tube.
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 04:35 AM   #3993
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8793

I think a half-half solution is good enough. Japanese cities use named lines as well, but they also use letters and numbers these days.

So the Marunouchi line is given the letter M on maps and all stations are numbered so you can see station M4 for example. Perhaps doing that for the tube would be handy so for the Central Line it could be the C and all stations numbered.

But seriously, I don't see why a number is any different to a name. I like the names of the lines.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 04:44 AM   #3994
Skalka

Likes (Received): 28

I guess that's the thing: You've become a Londoner at the moment you no longer need a tube map because it's in your head.

If you ever desire to label the lines with numbers or letters etc. you have to be careful. Not because the British weren't used to designations like that, but rather because the network is so big. You have four sub-surface lines that look quite changeable, you have the Waterloo & City line as an odd man out and of course the actual tube lines that form the backbone of the night grid. I'd refrain from letters because the Overground already uses letters, numbers would be better.

I'd treat the Waterloo & City Line as an odd man out. It may be the second-oldest tube (i.e. non-sub-surface) line between Northern and Central Lines, but it just doesn't fit there. Otherwise a seniority-based numeration as in Berlin seems prudent. Sub-surface lines would be U1 to U4, W&C were U5 and all the tube lines would get likewise continuously numbered.

On the other hand, the starter grid for night tube services shows that the most demanded lines are actually tube lines. Sub-surface lines were primarily built to interconnect suburban and national rail termini whereas tube lines are actually radial lines just as metros are "supposed" to be. Numbers would start with the tube lines, sub-surface lines be 10+x, W&C being an odd man out up for everything.

U1: Northern Line (Bank branch)
U2: Northern Line (Charing Cross branch)
U3: Central Line
U4: Bakerloo Line
U5: Piccadilly Line
U6: Victoria Line
U7: Jubilee Line

U11: Metropolitan Line
U12: Hammersmith & City Line
U13: District Line
U14: Circle Line (or rather U10 as it's a circle after all?)

Odd man out: Waterloo & City Line
Skalka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 06:02 AM   #3995
Sameboat
Map assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skalka View Post
I'd refrain from letters because the Overground already uses letters(...)
O really? I only know that TfL uses termini to name the actual routes.
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/supplier...-style-guide#l
Old October 3rd, 2015, 06:27 AM   #3996
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
I guess that's the thing: You've become a Londoner at the moment you no longer need a tube map because it's in your head.
But...

I have a tube map in my head and I've never even been to Northern Europe. Does that make me a Londoner?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 10:18 AM   #3997
dimlys1994

Official from TfL:

Quote:
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/pr...at-bond-street

London Underground breaks through at Bond Street
01 October 2015

20150926_230147 by Transport for London, on Flickr

IMG_2789 by Transport for London, on Flickr

IMG_0321 - resize by Transport for London, on Flickr

IMG_9461 - resize by Transport for London, on Flickr

Upgrade of Bond Street station reaches major milestone as Tube and Crossrail upgrade projects are joined

A major milestone in the programme to upgrade Bond Street station is being marked today, after the London Underground (LU) upgrade project broke through to meet Crossrail.

LU engineers have excavated the final passageway linking the expanded Tube station to the new Crossrail station, bringing a successful end to a sophisticated two-year tunnelling project, which remains on time and on budget despite extremely complex construction work

geometarkv liked this post
Old October 3rd, 2015, 03:22 PM   #3998
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8793

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
But...

I have a tube map in my head and I've never even been to Northern Europe. Does that make me a Londoner?
If you would like to be.

To finish off this subject though, can anyone tell me why a line name is any less easy than a number or letter? Note that around the world many countries name their highways - so in Australia you might be driving on the Bruce Highway, the Ventura Freeway in LA, the Massachusetts Turnpike in Boston etc etc. Same difference for rail lines.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 04:02 PM   #3999
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
To finish off this subject though, can anyone tell me why a line name is any less easy than a number or letter?
Some people refuse to adapt to the system they seek to navigate and instead demand conformity to what they are used to.

Quote:
the starter grid for night tube services shows that the most demanded lines are actually tube lines.
Right conclusion, wrong approach.

1) Demand at night is different from demand during the day - The City used to close down at weekends and night, and still sees a much reduced demand but is important during weekdays, especially for commuters. Canary Wharf likewise, though Docklands put effort in to stop it being entirely a place to work (which is what the The City was when it started). The West End, however is a 24h place.

2) Night tube's initial plans were the art of the possible - the SSLs, Bakerloo, etc, Bank branch of the Northern line were not included as they aren't ready to not have the Friday and Saturday nights for maintenance and upgrade work.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 08:39 PM   #4000
Skalka

Likes (Received): 28

How do the night-service-doable lines differ from the rest? I mean, there's always a need for maintenance. Please elaborate.

But I can see how a right approach could look like leading to the same conclusions that I made with the wrong approach: I guess that the most modern lines (Victoria, Jubilee) were the least of a hassle to upgrade for reduced maintenance as they already had some kind of standard that other lines lack. The next to go with upgrades were lines that were the most needed: I guess that the Northern Line is especially hard b/c of its complex alignments, the Central Line is called that way for a reason and Piccadilly Line is so overcrowded that it needed Victoria Line for a relief. Bakerloo is less important and that's also why the Fleet Line wasn't as urgent as the Victoria Line. All the lines get worked at by priority and of course technological feasibility, the latter is the reason why the SSL network will come last: Compare upgrading a single tube or likewise metro line anywhere with e.g. a trunk line that makes for half of the Berlin S-Bahn. Working on something like this is even more of a mess.

If you talk about West End, the City and the Docklands being several different downtowns of London (one for night, one for day, one as an extra), it somehow shows why Crossrail 1 is only now under construction: As the children of the Little Englanders became urban nightcrawlers and a political and economic force, only then did Crossrail 1 materialize in order to merge the three downtowns into one.
Skalka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground