daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2015, 09:41 AM   #4081
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11244

Right. But I thought that can depict any station on any line... Perhaps I want to see such results on the busiest stations like Piccadilly, Victoria, or Kings Cross, for example. Given that those changes may be subtle, those will actually help commuters and tourists make themselves more comfortable using those stations.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2015, 04:32 PM   #4082
theferret0
Trainhopping

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Right. But I thought that can depict any station on any line... Perhaps I want to see such results on the busiest stations like Piccadilly, Victoria, or Kings Cross, for example. Given that those changes may be subtle, those will actually help commuters and tourists make themselves more comfortable using those stations.
If you go to page 112 of the PDF, then you can see which stations have been/are going to be modified by the 2015 palette.

Personally, I think the platforms underground are going to be too dark.
theferret0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #4083
Sameboat
Map assistant

Likes (Received): 144

What to do in Christmas night if you have no partner to attend to? Revise a map!
(No Crossrail 2 because that would mean nearly redoing 3/4 of the whole map...)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...il_map_alt.svg
Old December 24th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #4084
sotonsi

Sorry Sameboat, but I (and Londonreconnections) seem to be wrong and zone 2/3 and you were right - it is going to be ugly with existing 2/3 stations staying there!

I like the pink readers being marked! (not on full map) what does 'RV' stand for?

I believe that the Bakerloo would be New Cross Gate, not New Cross (and probably both).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #4085
Sameboat
Map assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Sorry Sameboat, but I (and Londonreconnections) seem to be wrong and zone 2/3 and you were right - it is going to be ugly with existing 2/3 stations staying there!

I like the pink readers being marked! (not on full map) what does 'RV' stand for?

I believe that the Bakerloo would be New Cross Gate, not New Cross (and probably both).
https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/new-fares?intcmp=34454
Do you mean that Pudding Mill Lane, Bromley-by-Bow and East India will remain in zone 2/3 even after 2016 rezoning?

RV stands for "route validator". I borrow this term from oyster-rail.org.uk, but it seems TfL rather calls them "pink card readers"...

I overlooked the "Gate" orz
Now fixed.
Old December 25th, 2015, 01:47 AM   #4086
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

What is the difference between the two types of handicapped signs? It might be a good idea to include that on the map.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2015, 07:31 AM   #4087
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
What is the difference between the two types of handicapped signs? It might be a good idea to include that on the map.
Coloured in blue is step free access from the train to the street. White is step free access from the platform to the street. The latter is for stations where there is a gap between and the train and the platform.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #4088
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameboat View Post
https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/new-fares?intcmp=34454
Do you mean that Pudding Mill Lane, Bromley-by-Bow and East India will remain in zone 2/3 even after 2016 rezoning?
Yes.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #4089
theferret0
Trainhopping

Likes (Received): 17

Great map! Appreciate all that hard work. One question though: why did you decide to name the combined North & West London lines the West chord, and the East & South London lines the South chord, and then rename the GOBlin to the North chord? Especially when the historical North & East London lines feature the most prominently in those combinations!

I think I understand that it was for the sake of geographical sensibility - of those lines the GOBlin reaches reaches north most point, north & west most westerly and east & south furthest south. But personally I think an amalgam of the names of the old London lines would make most sense - so North & West, East & South - and leave the GOB as it is, so then this takes into account history (for 'fans' of that sort of thing and commuters who still think vaguely in terms of old North London and East London lines that features on tube maps years ago), and gives a good sense of the parts of London you can visit on those lines (though it's not like the Northern is misleading or anything...)

Just my two cents on the matter.

Also, I think you've made the 2/3 boundary stations in East look alright! Quite subtle; I'm impressed. The splodge of Canary Wharf interchanges though I think prompts a new interchange symbol, because no matter what you do, that is going to be horribly cluttered. Could a star be incorporated?
theferret0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2015, 02:28 PM   #4090
Sameboat
Map assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by theferret0 View Post
Great map! Appreciate all that hard work. One question though: why did you decide to name the combined North & West London lines the West chord, and the East & South London lines the South chord, and then rename the GOBlin to the North chord? Especially when the historical North & East London lines feature the most prominently in those combinations!

I think I understand that it was for the sake of geographical sensibility - of those lines the GOBlin reaches reaches north most point, north & west most westerly and east & south furthest south. But personally I think an amalgam of the names of the old London lines would make most sense - so North & West, East & South - and leave the GOB as it is, so then this takes into account history (for 'fans' of that sort of thing and commuters who still think vaguely in terms of old North London and East London lines that features on tube maps years ago), and gives a good sense of the parts of London you can visit on those lines (though it's not like the Northern is misleading or anything...)

Just my two cents on the matter.

Also, I think you've made the 2/3 boundary stations in East look alright! Quite subtle; I'm impressed. The splodge of Canary Wharf interchanges though I think prompts a new interchange symbol, because no matter what you do, that is going to be horribly cluttered. Could a star be incorporated?
Hi. I choose not to retain the old names of those Overground lines because 1, it's TfL's decision and 2, I think it makes sense that their alignments are quite different than the pre-Overground time hence I took liberty of inventing my own names. GOBLIN isn't used because of the all-capital usage and largely colloquial instead of being officially identified this way. GOBLIN induces an inconsistency with other existing lines, the pattern isn't the same as Bakerloo line either. You can't address it "GOBLIN Line" because "GOBLIN" already contains part of the word "line".

I can't claim my invented names are good, it's just an attempt to demonstrate the alternative solution for TfL to consider because AFAIC TfL either identifies the Overground services by termini they serve (which is clunky and inefficient) or simply quiet about their distinction in the map, so in the Victoria single line diagram, all interchanges for Overground are not distinguished by which Overground routes they serve.

About the 2/3 zone, I don't know if you have checked the updated version which includes Pudding Mill Lane, Bromley-by-Bow and East India again. Even as its author I think it is even more meh for all the dodgy kinks.

I think I will leave Canary Wharf as is unless there is a different out-of-station interchange arrangement with the Crossrail station. One of the principle of my tube map is to indicate the necessity to leave the station for interchange at complicated hubs like this. To me, OSI is an important information which cannot be simplified lightly. (Shadwell is not separated into 2 icons because it only involves Overground and DLR. The reason that it's separated in the official tube map is for the step-free accessibility info, this is dealt in my map differently.)
Old December 26th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #4091
nr23Derek

Likes (Received): 77

Great map indeed but really Crossrail and Thameslink need to be much more prominent, why just a single pink line for TL especially? Is the faintness of CR to show U/C?

Derek
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2015, 03:27 AM   #4092
Sameboat
Map assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr23Derek View Post
Great map indeed but really Crossrail and Thameslink need to be much more prominent, why just a single pink line for TL especially? Is the faintness of CR to show U/C?

Derek
Thanks. This map focuses on rail services owned by TfL so the rest is trivialized. And yes for Crossrail, all unfinished or proposed routes are denoted with super hollow lines. I don't know why TfL uses pecking line again for the Battersea extension in their map which is inconsistent with the original meaning of "limited service".
Old December 31st, 2015, 04:56 AM   #4093
Sameboat
Map assistant

Whoever is responsible for this, I love you.
https://twitter.com/diamondgeezer/st...18905960624128
Old December 31st, 2015, 05:52 AM   #4094
00Zy99

??????????????

I don't get it.
Old December 31st, 2015, 06:16 AM   #4095
Skalka

Likes (Received): 28

What don't you get?
Skalka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 11:37 AM   #4096
nidave

Likes (Received): 764

Quote:
??????????????

I don't get it.
How does a 2/3 zone thing work? I have never understood it
Is it based on the direction of travel? So if going into Zone 1 its classed as Zone 2 and going to Zone 4 + its classed as Zone 3?
nidave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 01:00 PM   #4097
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

That is pretty much it...
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 01:11 PM   #4098
nidave

Likes (Received): 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeguDuke View Post
That is pretty much it...
Thanks
nidave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 06:29 PM   #4099
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skalka View Post
What don't you get?
What makes this map different and special? Why was it posted?
Old December 31st, 2015, 06:56 PM   #4100
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Quote:
What makes this map different and special? Why was it posted?
It makes an entire zone out of the zone 2/3 stations. Usually this is show on the map with a white box around the station name.
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground