daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2016, 10:08 PM   #4141
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

It's not too long, but here's a video (not by me) of a part ride along on the Northern Line.

dimlys1994, davroca5, ScuderiaVincero liked this post
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #4142
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26154

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/p...announced.html

Luton Airport peoplemover plan announced
15 Apr 2016

UK: Plans for a £200m fully-automated ‘guided light rail peoplemover’ linking Luton Airport with Luton Airport Parkway station were announced by airport owner London Luton Airport Ltd on April 15. This would support a £110m project to increase the airport’s capacity by 50% to 18 million passengers/year by 2020.

LLAL has appointed Arup to undertake the design and procurement of the peoplemover. It expects to submit a planning application ‘in the early autumn’, and construction could begin in 2017 for opening by the end of 2020

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Vaud, mrsmartman, tokyo-hypa, desmo, PortoNuts and 1 others liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2016, 11:26 PM   #4143
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1594

about time!!! those news are welcome. I really dislike London Luton and one of the main reasons (if not the main reason) is the need to change from train to bus, which adds a seizable amount of time compared to Gatwick, Stansted or Heathrow

dimlys1994 liked this post
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2016, 12:05 AM   #4144
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

YES! Finally. This'll be good for anyone using that airport. Used to have awful transport links.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 06:39 PM   #4145
dimlys1994

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old May 3rd, 2016, 08:00 PM   #4146
Kane_84
ACC84 Metro & Trains

Likes (Received): 175

Finchley Road, Jubilee and Metropolitan lines

Old May 6th, 2016, 02:24 PM   #4147
shard97

Likes (Received): 863

Baker Street Appreciation Post

DSC_0068v2 300dpi by Ryan Trower, on Flickr

dimlys1994, Wilhem275, Quicksilver liked this post
shard97 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 11:22 AM   #4148
Brenda goats

Likes (Received): 152

just up from baker street, see the met crossing regents canal

dimlys1994, sotonsi liked this post
Brenda goats no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 02:46 PM   #4149
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

I think TfL operates too many buses. Considering both the narrow streets of most of London and high labor costs, why not a plan to replace many busy buys routes with high-capacity trams?

I also think London should consider monorails in some 2 or 3 routes on the south side.
Old May 8th, 2016, 04:06 PM   #4150
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think TfL operates too many buses. Considering both the narrow streets of most of London and high labor costs, why not a plan to replace many busy buys routes with high-capacity trams?

I also think London should consider monorails in some 2 or 3 routes on the south side.
Could you please specify which routes should be trams or monorails? Perhaps create a map of what you mean?

I assume that you mean that these routes should be operating in segregated RoW/pedestrianized streets? Because you are not going to make things better otherwise.

There have been proposals, but most focus on the outer areas, given the density of the Underground in the center. They tend to involve taking over lightly used rail branches.

There are underground extensions and improved commuter rail systems proposed for the south side of the Thames. Monorails would have too much visual impact, and wouldn't have connectivity to anything else.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #4151
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda goats View Post
just up from baker street, see the met crossing regents canal
When I was little, my mum always tried to get me to see the canal. It's rather hard from the trains to see it, though it is an odd gap between two tunnels (both pretty much made by covering the tracks with buildings - at least near the canal). It's easier to see from a Chiltern given the slower speed over the bridge on the approach into Marylebone.

More interesting would have been the old stations on that bit of the met, that I only started spotting them when I was an adult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
As the controversial bendy-bus experience shows, London's narrow streets prefer 11m-long double-deckers than 18m-long bendybuses, before we even talk of 23m-long (Tramlink), or even 30m-long (what Cross-River Tram ended up being proposed as as 23m-long vehicles weren't enough of an increase in capacity to be worth it) trams. The 1st gen trams in London were shorter than the current buses so none of that "they've had trams before".

Paris was cited as an example to follow - despite a similar climate, where in London a bus would be taken, people walk (OK, good for health), or drive (less good). Their modal share for rail is about the same, but buses much lower, cars a bit higher and walking much higher.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 05:46 PM   #4152
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6101

These would nicely supplement the New Routemasters

Old May 8th, 2016, 06:51 PM   #4153
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Where on EARTH did you get those? Are there any more?

Because I have to say that that looks pretty damn awesome. If only it were in Red.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 07:10 PM   #4154
dimlys1994

Alstom once proposed this:
http://www.alstom.com/press-centre/2...ners-20070912/

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old May 8th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #4155
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Awesome.

About the trams vs. bendy buses, I'd add that while lenght might be a problem at intersections, it isn't in terms of manoeuvrability. In this, trams are much better fitting in tight roads than buses.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #4156
dimlys1994

From Global Rail News:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2016/0...-tram-network/

Campaign group calls on new London mayor to extend capital’s tram network
9 MAY, 2016

Light rail campaign group TramForward has called on London’s new mayor to explore opportunities for more tram schemes in the capital.

In particular, the advocacy group is encouraging Sadiq Khan, who was announced as the winner of London’s mayoral election on May 6, to revive proposals for a light rail system linking Camden with Peckham and Brixton, via King’s Cross

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

davroca5 liked this post
Old May 20th, 2016, 05:00 PM   #4157
MarkLong

Likes (Received): 5

Is there any update about northern line extension and metropolitian line extension?
MarkLong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 06:03 PM   #4158
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkLong View Post
Is there any update about northern line extension and metropolitian line extension?
Here's you providing an update on the Met line extension from the Croxley link thread a few minutes before posting here.

dimlys1994 liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 04:03 AM   #4159
MarkLong

Likes (Received): 5

Yes but I mean pictures
MarkLong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 12:43 PM   #4160
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7519

Quote:
After long dispute, London underground to run all night at weekends

Trains will run all night at the weekend from August 19 on two lines of the London Underground metro network in what new Mayor Sadiq Khan said on Monday would be a boost to the British capital's night-time economy.

Plans to introduce all-night services on the Tube, as Londoners call the Underground, were one of the main causes of a long-running dispute between management and the RMT rail workers' union that involved several strikes.

"The Night Tube is absolutely vital to my plans to support and grow London's night-time economy, creating more jobs and opportunities for all Londoners," Khan, who was elected mayor earlier this month, said in a statement.

The RMT said there were still unresolved issues concerning the Tube's engineers and it urged management to move quickly to reach a settlement with that group of workers that did not leave them disadvantaged on conditions and pensions.

"All parties have to be clear that Night Tube, a development that RMT supports, cannot be delivered on the cheap," the RMT's General Secretary Mick Cash said in a statement.

The 24-hour weekend services will start on the Central and Victoria lines, with the Piccadilly, Jubilee and Northern lines to follow in the autumn.

The statement from Khan's office said hundreds of thousands of late-night revellers and shift workers would benefit, with journeys cut by an average of 20 minutes and some by more than an hour.

The statement said this would support around 2,000 permanent jobs and boost London's economy by 360 million pounds.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-bri...-idUKKCN0YE1F1

Neric007 liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground