daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2016, 10:03 PM   #4221
nr23Derek

Likes (Received): 77

It's interesting how the official attitude to all night transport has changed in London.

When I had the misfortune to live there between 1976 and 1980 there were night buses to serve the night time workers, but they didn't run on Saturday night because people out simply to enjoy themselves didn't count as being worthy of such a service. This even included new years eve 1978. Yes, seriously, mrsmartman would have understood that logic.

Derek
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2016, 10:38 PM   #4222
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

Official from TfL:

Quote:
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/pr...-to-be-renovat

Charing Cross ticket halls to be renovated
30 August 2016

Transport for London (TfL) has announced that work to modernise the Northern line ticket hall at Charing Cross Station will begin on Monday 26 September.

The 1970s ticket hall, which is the larger of two at Charing Cross, will be brought up to a modern standard. It will undergo a number of changes including new tiling and finishes, a new straightened gate line with more space at the top of the escalators and improvements to CCTV and lighting.‎

The modernisation work means that the Northern line ticket hall will be closed until July 2017

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

PortoNuts liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 11:43 PM   #4223
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

And afaik London's underground is closed on 25th december. Which sounds incredible to me..

Fabio1976, Swede liked this post
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #4224
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
And afaik London's underground is closed on 25th december. Which sounds incredible to me..
There's no need for it, or any other public transport in the UK, to be running on Christmas Day. No-one travels any distance on that day as 99% of people stay at home or stay at relations. And if they're staying at relations they do their travelling 1-2 days before and after Christmas Day.

Anyone who needs to travel uses private transport. You will get some taxis working though.

flierfy, Spam King liked this post
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 03:29 PM   #4225
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfield View Post
There's no need for it, or any other public transport in the UK, to be running on Christmas Day. No-one travels any distance on that day as 99% of people stay at home or stay at relations.
So just going to say that this is complete nonsense. Buses usually run a heavily reduced service, but people like to get out and see their families on Christmas day. Go out to have lunch with granny, see a relative at the hospital, it is 2016 and most of the population are not strict Christians - just run a Sunday service.

divByZer0, Nouvellecosse liked this post
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 04:45 PM   #4226
Fatfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeguDuke View Post
So just going to say that this is complete nonsense. Buses usually run a heavily reduced service, but people like to get out and see their families on Christmas day. Go out to have lunch with granny, see a relative at the hospital, it is 2016 and most of the population are not strict Christians - just run a Sunday service.
You really have no idea what you're talking about.

flierfy liked this post
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:24 PM   #4227
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Where I live the buses run on Christmas Day. Not everyone can/wants to spend Xmas eve - Boxing Day with family, and not everyone is a strict Christian. I'm 95% sure the Zoo is open Christmas Day, folk need to get to places that are open to work.

Welcome to 2016 fatfield

Swede, Nouvellecosse liked this post
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #4228
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Very impressive. I live in Paris and the 25th of december is considered as a regular public holiday, and the métro is just as full as any sunday.

divByZer0 liked this post
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 11:43 AM   #4229
Fatfield

Quote:
Where I live the buses run on Christmas Day. Not everyone can/wants to spend Xmas eve - Boxing Day with family, and not everyone is a strict Christian. I'm 95% sure the Zoo is open Christmas Day, folk need to get to places that are open to work.

Welcome to 2016 fatfield
And where is it that you live?

With the exception of motorway service stations, pubs, corner shops and some restaurants, nowhere is open on Christmas day in the UK. Its the same on Easter Sunday to certain extent. Being a christian has nothing to do with it either. Its traditional in the UK for families to get together over the festive period. It is also illegal for some shops to be open on Christmas day & Easter Sunday.

If people want to travel then they can use their own transport or get a taxi (if they're lucky).

If you can't handle these facts, move on.

flierfy liked this post
Old September 7th, 2016, 12:26 PM   #4230
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Quote:
And where is it that you live?
Edinburgh.

Quote:
With the exception of motorway service stations, pubs, corner shops and some restaurants, nowhere is open on Christmas day in the UK.
Nowhere apart from motorway service stations, petrol stations, pubs, corner shops, some restaurants, the zoo, hotels, b&bs, taxis, buses, the airport, security staff.. The police and fire brigade remain open, as do city services such as snow trucks. All of these people need to get to work and back, which is why the bus service runs..

That is quite a list. Surprising that 'nowhere' can encompass so many places. I must get onto Oxford to update the definition.

Quote:
Its traditional in the UK for families to get together over the festive period.
It is. But most people don't have the space for all their relatives to be housed in the same place over Christmas. My family usually drive to see the grandkids, cousins etc, in Edinburgh I usually just get the bus as it saves driving out in the snow.

Quote:
It is also illegal for some shops to be open on Christmas day & Easter Sunday.
In England and Wales. Thankfully Scotland doesn't have the same restrictive Sunday Opening laws.

Quote:
If people want to travel then they can use their own transport or get a taxi (if they're lucky).
We'll just ignore the fact that nearly half (40%) of Edinburgh households do not have access to a car or van.

Ok, here's the zoo opening times
Quote:
We are open every day of the year including Christmas Day
. ~Hotels are open, most b&bs, and actually a lot of pubs and restaurants, went to have lunch in the Grassmarket a few years back - we'd booked but there were a few places open mainly catering to tourists and locals. If you're desperate Wetherspoons are always open:
Quote:
The majority of our pubs will be open for drinks only on Christmas day
. There was even a tour guide doing the rounds. And the buses run a heavily reduced service, but almost all of the city is served with an hourly / half hourly bus.

Quote:
If you can't handle these facts, move on.
I don't see any facts, just you voicing your (incorrect) opinion. If the whole of England shuts down on Christmas, then that sucks, seems stupid to me that London doesn't run buses when Edinburgh does (and they're well used).

Last edited by DaeguDuke; September 7th, 2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old September 7th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #4231
Fatfield

As you said, Scotland has different laws. This thread is about London though. My opinions are correct and factual in this context. If you have a problem with that, tough.

flierfy liked this post
Old September 7th, 2016, 01:08 PM   #4232
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Quote:
There's no need for it, or any other public transport in the UK, to be running on Christmas Day.
No, fatfield, you specifically said "or any other public transport in the UK"
Old September 7th, 2016, 01:17 PM   #4233
Fatfield

Quote:
No, fatfield, you specifically said "or any other public transport in the UK"
Then you should've picked up on that earlier. Now stop clutching at straws and move on.

flierfy liked this post
Old September 7th, 2016, 01:22 PM   #4234
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Quote:
So just going to say that this is complete nonsense.
I did pick up on that, which is why I responded earlier whilst quoting you..

divByZer0 liked this post
Old September 7th, 2016, 01:31 PM   #4235
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Jesus, find a room, guys

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

napowen, tokyo-hypa liked this post
Wilhem275 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2016, 01:54 PM   #4236
Fatfield

Quote:
I did pick up on that, which is why I responded earlier whilst quoting you..

Not in the context of this thread. Like I said, stop clutching at straws and move on.

flierfy liked this post
Old September 7th, 2016, 02:08 PM   #4237
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Quote:
There's no need for it, or any other public transport in the UK, to be running on Christmas Day.
Wrong. Edinburgh buses run albeit a reduced service.

Quote:
nowhere is open on Christmas day in the UK
Incorrect.

Quote:
Then you should've picked up on that earlier
I did.

Quote:
Not in the context of this thread. Like I said, stop clutching at straws and move on.
Unless in within the context of this thread "UK" means "London" stop being a child and just admit you were wrong. You stated that the DLR, and no other transport in the UK, should run on Christmas Day. I pointed out that at least in Edinburgh public transport does, as people want to get out to see their family, or need to get to work.

Tbh, considering the work/housing along the DLR and the lack of onward connections it may make no sense for the DLR to run in isolation, but that wasn't what you said.

Anyway, I've pointed out that your post is BS, and I'm done.

Last edited by DaeguDuke; September 7th, 2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old September 7th, 2016, 02:25 PM   #4238
Fatfield

Quote:
Wrong. Edinburgh buses run albeit a reduced service.

Incorrect.

I did.

Unless in within the context of this thread "UK" means "London" stop being a child and just admit you were wrong. You stated that the DLR, and no other transport in the UK, should run on Christmas Day. I pointed out that at least in Edinburgh public transport does, as people want to get out to see their family, or need to get to work.

Tbh, considering the work/housing along the DLR and the lack of onward connections it may make no sense for the DLR to run in isolation, but that wasn't what you said.

Anyway, I've pointed out that your post is BS, and I'm done.
My job is done here.
Old September 7th, 2016, 02:37 PM   #4239
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Another insightful and meaningful contribution, thanks for playing fatfield
Old September 7th, 2016, 03:42 PM   #4240
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
I don't know whether you just don't know what Christmas is or you are simply too anti-social to have a family. Whatever it is, you are wrong in either case.
There where Christmas Day is the pinnacle of the festive season, and that includes England and London, people don't travel, not on that day. We travel the days right before Christmas and we travel again on Boxing Day. But on Christmas Day we are at home and we stay home. We wake up in the midst of our family and spend the whole day with them. This is the quietest day of the year.
And this also means that there is simply no sufficient demand for PT services on that one day of the year.

Fatfield, Spam King liked this post
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground