daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2017, 10:26 AM   #4301
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

South Kensington tube station upgrade plans are unveiled:
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/201...ves-forward-2/

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2017, 04:08 PM   #4302
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 285

Does this mean they're making a new platform for eastbound trains, with the current platform reserved for westbound ones?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 06:52 PM   #4303
dimlys1994

More on Battersea tube extension:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Specs View Post

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old February 3rd, 2017, 08:57 PM   #4304
dimlys1994

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

ex-E14, cairnstony2 liked this post
Old February 6th, 2017, 02:38 AM   #4305
ex-E14

Likes (Received): 472

Good restoration job. What's funny is I didn't realize until I watched the video that those striped designs in the new station are also supposed to be works of art (by Daniel Buren). No comparison really.

dimlys1994 liked this post
ex-E14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2017, 07:45 PM   #4306
gazart

Likes (Received): 2667

if anyone can explain why if using a third rail system is more appropriate to use the 1435 gauge?
Jadi tidak berpikir apa itu perdamaian

-
eligibleforyou.blogspot.co.id
gazart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2017, 08:58 PM   #4307
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Using a third rail is not directly related to the track gauge. There are narrow-gauge lines with third rail (Ligne de Cerdagne in France) and there are broad-gauge lines with third rail (BART in the San Francisco Bay area). The choice of electrical transmission is largely based on the specific aspects of a particular situation.

Swede liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2017, 04:32 AM   #4308
gazart

Likes (Received): 2667

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Using a third rail is not directly related to the track gauge. There are narrow-gauge lines with third rail (Ligne de Cerdagne in France) and there are broad-gauge lines with third rail (BART in the San Francisco Bay area). The choice of electrical transmission is largely based on the specific aspects of a particular situation.
Thanks, because in Indonesia several camps forced to use third rail by 1067. Meanwhile, in the international electrical distribution with the third rail is more ideal to use in 1435.
gazart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 07:59 PM   #4309
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7469

Quote:
£3bn Bakerloo Line Tube extension route unveiled

Transport for London has unveiled the preferred route for the £3bn Barkerloo Line extension of the London Underground. The planned project, which has been brought forward by two years, will run from Elephant and Castle to Lewisham.

Four new stations are being proposed along the route – two stations along Old Kent Road, one at New Cross Gate providing an interchange with London Overground and National Rail services, and one at Lewisham, providing an interchange with the DLR and National Rail services.

The proposals also set out the need to undertake further capacity upgrade works to the Bakerloo line station at Elephant & Castle.

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...oute-unveiled/

Swede, dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #4310
Antje
Public Transport Fan

If they will be a naming contest, I will be throwing my back behind "Burgess Park - Nelson Mandela" and "Commercial Way Peckham"
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #4311
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3599

How long is this extension.

I just try to understand why a 4 station extension can cost 3 billion when we in very very expensive Copenhagen can get a 15,5 kilometer line with 16 underground stations for around 2 billion.

Our trains and therefore also the platforms are of course way shorter than a tube platform (around 40-50 meters long) but that can't be the only answer.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #4312
TheMoses

Likes (Received): 127

It's about 7km I think. If you think £3bn for 7km is bad, then cost of the Second Avenue Subway in New York will blow your mind. Phase 2 is 2.2km and forecast to cost around $6bn.

Edit: Also, looking at this https://pedestrianobservations.wordp...costs-revised/ 2bn (what by the way - you can't possibly mean krone? - that would be absurdly cheap) looks quite cheap for 15.5km and 16 stations.

Last edited by TheMoses; February 10th, 2017 at 12:11 AM.
TheMoses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 12:41 AM   #4313
Stuu

Likes (Received): 41

At a guess, it's either because they are using costs using the construction year value - so making assumptions for inflation; or it is including the cost of having to replace all the trains and the signalling system for the rest of the line as well. It's a lot more than the fairly similar Northern Line extension being built now
Stuu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 01:02 AM   #4314
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3599

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoses View Post
It's about 7km I think. If you think £3bn for 7km is bad, then cost of the Second Avenue Subway in New York will blow your mind. Phase 2 is 2.2km and forecast to cost around $6bn.

Edit: Also, looking at this https://pedestrianobservations.wordp...costs-revised/ 2bn (what by the way - you can't possibly mean krone? - that would be absurdly cheap) looks quite cheap for 15.5km and 16 stations.

No it was not in kroner, I was using the british pound/pund.

In danish kroner its around 22 billion but I can't remember if that includes the 3 km, 2 station extension to Nordhavnen.

But that is not a topic for this thread.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 02:58 PM   #4315
cairnstony2

Likes (Received): 35

As I understand it, the local MP is campaigning for another station at the Bricklayers Arms. They are unlikely to succeed due to the obvious significant increase in cost were it approved, but it would actually be a pretty useful addition nonetheless as there's a long gap between E&C and OKR1.

Mind you, don't the existing tunnels point towards Camberwell? If so, and they were used to extend the Bakerloo as is, then the running lines would have to swing around to the east to reach OKR1 and end up running too far to the south for a station at Bricklayers to be possible. I don't know for sure if this is the case however.
cairnstony2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #4316
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antje View Post
If they will be a naming contest, I will be throwing my back behind "Burgess Park - Nelson Mandela" and "Commercial Way Peckham"
TfL don't like road name stations as the roads often stretch a long way from the station - and Burgess Park wouldn't be overly helpful, for the same reason given how far it spreads from the station (and adding the extra bit makes it rather long): "Walworth" would be just as correct as to what it serves. Maybe a Parisian-style "Mandela" would work?

As for OKR2, "Ledbury", or "Peckham North" or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
It's a lot more than the fairly similar Northern Line extension being built now
The NLE is 2 new stand-alone stations. BLE is 4 new stations, only two of which are stand-alone, and the other two are interchanges with all the additional passageways. Add in building the improved interchange at Elephant and that the BLE is more than double the NLE's 3.2km (about 7.2km) and there's the where its that much more expensive.

Certainly the BLE requires a big increase in stock numbers - not only to serve the increased length, but also as they would need to run more trains on it - the higher frequency is part of the BLE scheme as it isn't needed without it. New Bakerloo Line rolling stock is, AFAICS, a different scheme to BLE, though timed at the same time to make the extra stock purchase part of the same order.

NLE, on the other hand, requires only a few extra trains, which are being obtained as part of a larger order that also buys 10 trains for 36tph on the Jubilee, and 17 (total) trains for the Northern line as it seeks to significantly increase frequency across the whole line thanks to a separate scheme.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #4317
nidave

Likes (Received): 764

If you want to read about the Automatic Junction Working Machines (which are referred to in part of the video) There is a fantastic document about it at http://www.metadyne.co.uk/pdf_files/...on_Working.pdf

dimlys1994, mrsmartman, GENIUS LOCI liked this post
nidave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 01:41 AM   #4318
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Certainly the BLE requires a big increase in stock numbers - not only to serve the increased length, but also as they would need to run more trains on it - the higher frequency is part of the BLE scheme as it isn't needed without it. New Bakerloo Line rolling stock is, AFAICS, a different scheme to BLE, though timed at the same time to make the extra stock purchase part of the same order.
Isn't the Bakerloo getting NTfLs? I presume the new extension would open with the NTfL rollout on the Bakerloo?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 02:47 PM   #4319
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
Isn't the Bakerloo getting NTfLs? I presume the new extension would open with the NTfL rollout on the Bakerloo?
Yes, but they are different schemes.

Just as the NLU and NLE will get their additional Northern Line trains at the same time for convienence, the NTfL rollout on the Bakerloo will be timed to fit in with the extension and its needing more trains.

However the additional trains for that higher frequency and increased length will be budgeted to the extension, rather than the NTfL project.

Frequency will go from 27tph (I believe that's the planned post-NTfL frequency) to over 30tph in the peak, and the length of the line's core section will nearly double. As such, BLE has to pay for somewhere around half of the Bakerloo's NTfL order.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 03:32 PM   #4320
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Yay, I'm finally visiting London! A big piece missing in my urban explorations

Does anybody know if there are any "TfL sightseeings" pages, official or unofficial? I'll spend a few days in town and I'd like to see and use all the highlights in its transports system.

Any suggestion is more than welcome.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground