daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2017, 04:08 PM   #4321
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Yay, I'm finally visiting London! A big piece missing in my urban explorations

Does anybody know if there are any "TfL sightseeings" pages, official or unofficial? I'll spend a few days in town and I'd like to see and use all the highlights in its transports system.

Any suggestion is more than welcome.
Check out londonist and Geoff's (one of the producers) YT channel

Wilhem275 liked this post
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #4322
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Try any of these sites:

Urbanrail.net

ktransit.com

world.nycsubway.org

00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #4323
sotonsi

is Geoff Marshall's/Londonists material really touristy? I guess there's some good transport geeky stuff there, but the problem with them is that they are aimed at Londoners and are more "things you may have missed". The other sites are merely little more than photo sites with some history/historic photos (with the relevant pages: ktransit, NYC Subway, urbanrail) - not that useful and certainly wouldn't be helpful enough to tell you what a Carnet ticket was - they are what tourists have done, rather than what tourists should do!

TfL certainly doesn't produce any transport geek materials.

Regardless of what you are into, transport-wise, the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden is worth a visit (though extremely expensive for the one visit, given that all the other museums in London are typically free. But at least the £17.50 lasts a year for those who aren't travelling far.

Railway stuff worth seeing:
  1. Baker Street Circle / H&C platforms - the oldest part of the Underground
  2. Canary Wharf Jubilee line station - while all the JLE stations are worth getting out and having a look at, this is the most cavernous. Head through Crossrail Place (the building that the future Crossrail station is in) en route to the next one
  3. Front row ride of the DLR - any of it is good though perhaps the Woolwich, Stratford-Poplar, and Stratford International branches aren't as good as the City, Beckton and Lewisham branches.
  4. Stratford station: go on the big bridge over it to Westfield and watch the masses of people and all the different types of trains though they are not quite as diverse as...
  5. Clapham Junction - the busiest station in Europe for train movements and so great for spotting
  6. Visit some National Rail termini stations - you don't need to get a train (though the far end of the platforms at Liverpool Street are great), merely wander around the concourses and take it in. Waterloo is big and bustly, St Pancras is an attraction in its own right, Kings Cross has a really modern bit and a really old bit. Paddington feels a little like it's still the 1850s still with the diesel fumes and dirt, lack of gateline allowing you to walk along the platforms and take in Brunel's shed. Marylebone has the nice small feel, coupled with excellent turn-of-the-last-century architecture. Euston, Cannon Street and Fenchurch Street are OK, but nothing special unless you like utlitarian stations with little charm. Liverpool Street, Charing Cross and Victoria have a nice and airy feel (as does Waterloo), though that contrasts with the busyness. Blackfriars has little and less on the concourses. London Bridge is a work in progress, and so gets bonus points for that - it's probably the most must-see, though many of them are anyway.
  7. Take the East London Line across the Thames - I'd get out at Wapping and wait for the next train (or the one after that) looking at the stuff on the platform about the tunnel. Also, go up the stairs to the lift and then look up.
  8. Other river crossings worth a look: Tower Bridge (currently closed), either the Woolwich or Greenwich foot tunnels - the former has the ferry that is worth a look if you are over there, the latter is more accessible for the tourist.
  9. Ride all the tube lines at least partially, and ride at least some of them to/from the terminus. Visit Watford, Chesham or Amersham or Epping or take the loop between Hainault and Woodford to see the tube in a sleepy rural setting. Note that, Epping excepted, trains are not that frequent.
  10. Ride the North London Line, remembering that this was a quiet backwater line not that long ago.
  11. Take a suburban train into or out of Charing Cross or Waterloo (or both) and look out the river-facing window.
  12. lots of other things.

Also take Heritage Route 15 for the a ride on London's only iconic (sorry Boris) buses - the Routemaster.

Last edited by sotonsi; February 11th, 2017 at 05:17 PM.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #4324
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

You forgot t he Emirates Air Line which is part of the TfL network.

Wilhem275, Urbanus liked this post
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #4325
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Many thanks to everyone sotonsi's list is quite extensive and now I'll try to convert it into some sort of schedule for my visit.

A few practical questions.

1) Are there any issues with photography, especially in LU areas? Some cities are really paranoid about this.

2) My base camp will be out of the city, close to Welwyn North station (WLW). I'll stay for 7-8 days and I plan to use the train + TfL extensively every day, so I found the best ticketing solution should be a 7 days Travelcard including WLW to King's Cross and London zones 1-6 (priced £105.40).
I tried to combine the separate season ticket for the train with some Oyster price caps, but in the end I couldn't find a cheaper solution, and the single Travelcard seems much more practical and worry-free.
Did I miss anything?

3) To buy a new 7 days Travelcard, National Rail says: "A ticket may be issued on the start date".
Tricky phrasing. Does this mean:
- you can buy it on the start date or earlier
- you can buy it ONLY on the start date

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

ArtNouveau liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #4326
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 815

Great listing sotonsi!

To add to point 12:
- The underground walkway at South Kensington which goes to the museums and Hyde Park, very surreal.
- Holborne station escalators, especially the rise from the Central Line level to grade.
- Westminster Station (sci-fi style interiors)
- Broadway, Piccadilly (1930s station interiors)
- Bank Station (confusing layout though lots of interesting commuter movement)

Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #4327
nidave

Likes (Received): 768

Here's What TfL Learned From Tracking Your Phone On the Tube
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2017/02/her...e-on-the-tube/

Quote:
To have had your data collected in the trial, all you needed to have was your wifi switched on - then the various wifi hotspots around the Tube network would be able to pick up your phone (or tablet, or laptop, or whatever)’s unique MAC address that enables you to be identified.
The good news for the paranoid is that TfL appears to have gone out of its way to make sure everything is above board. In the documents that Giz UK has seen, it makes clear that it is only MAC data that’s collected (ie: they’re not monitoring the websites you visit) - and that this data is stored as encrypted hashes - so even if hackers could somehow break in and obtain the collected data, they wouldn’t be able to get any MAC address data.
As it was only a trial, only 54 out of out of 270 tube stations were involved.

dimlys1994, desmo liked this post
nidave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 09:36 PM   #4328
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
- Broadway, Piccadilly (1930s station interiors)
I'm sorry, which station are you referring to here? There is no such station as "Broadway" on the Piccadilly.
Old February 16th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #4329
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26154

From Global Rail News

http://www.globalrailnews.com/2017/0...into-position/

Northern line extension TBMs lowered into position
February 16, 2017

The two tunnel boring machines that will excavate the twin-bore tunnels for London Underground’s Northern line extension have been lowered into the ground.

When tunnelling work begins next month, the two TBMs will begin a 3.2km journey from Battersea Power Station to Kennington, via Nine Elms

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #4330
Antje
Public Transport Fan

With this post on District Dave, the secret is out:

The last day of the D78 Stock in passenger service is planned to be on 21 April 2017.

A farewell tour of the D78 Stock is planned to be on 7 May 2017.

AsHalt, dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #4331
dimlys1994

A jogger that ran from one tube station to another - cool video to me:
http://imgur.com/q5fSpYU

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

mrsmartman, robincole, Wilhem275 liked this post
Old March 29th, 2017, 11:03 AM   #4332
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7519

TfL invites bids for South Ken tube station revamp

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...tation-revamp/

Quote:
Transport for London is on the hunt for a joint venture partner to sensitively restore and develop South Kensington Tube station.

TfL plans to improve the commercial and retail units of the station and refurbish the four storey buildings at 20-34 Thurloe Street.

The plans also include the potential to build an extra storey on the distinctive Bullnose building and create new opportunities along TfL’s stretch of land on Pelham Street.

The site also includes the main station entrances through the Grade II listed shopping arcade, which will be restored to its original state, and a second entrance via a Grade II listed pedestrian subway.

dimlys1994 liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #4333
dimlys1994

From Metro Report

http://www.metro-report.com/news/new...in-london.html

Tunnelling begins on Northern Line extension in London
12 Apr 2017

UK: Tunnelling has started on London Underground’s Northern Line extension. Tunnel boring machine Helen has started boring a 5·2 m diameter tunnel at a depth of 26 m, and sister machine Amy is due to start the other bore in about a month.

The two TBMs supplied by NFM Technologies were lowered into the ground at Battersea in February. Each 100 m long TBM is capable of boring up to 30 m per day, and is operated with a team of 50 people

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

mrsmartman, Bankster, 437.001, PortoNuts liked this post
Old April 12th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #4334
00Zy99

...and, THEY'RE OFF!!!

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:11 PM   #4335
Antje
Public Transport Fan

District line – Upminster

dimlys1994, sotonsi liked this post
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:36 PM   #4336
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antje View Post
District line – Upminster
The penultimate trip out there for that train - the last of its kind to run in active service on the District.

In 59 minutes (according to the timetable) it will be leaving Upminister for the last time. Quite why they timed it to hit zone 1 at Rush Hour beats me - it will be rammed with enthusiasts.

It's taken 8 years, but the transition to S Stock is very nearly done.
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:49 PM   #4337
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
The penultimate trip out there for that train - the last of its kind to run in active service on the District.

In 59 minutes (according to the timetable) it will be leaving Upminister for the last time. Quite why they timed it to hit zone 1 at Rush Hour beats me - it will be rammed with enthusiasts.

It's taken 8 years, but the transition to S Stock is very nearly done.
The outgoing timetable (to be replaced next month) states that the Train 004 duty finishes just after the afternoon peak, or as we will see, a double intensity peak.

However, I don't expect as much media attention as the end of the 01 series on the Ginza line of Tokyo Metro.
Old April 21st, 2017, 11:47 PM   #4338
sotonsi

The front of that train looks rammed entering the City counterpeak! I'd imagine the photos and videos will find their way online over the next day or three.

dimlys1994, Equario liked this post
Old April 28th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #4339
Glom

Likes (Received): 351

I'm at the bottom of Watford High Street and need to get to Northwood. If only there was some kind of link, maybe or the rail sort, possibly going via Croxley. A sort of Croxley Rail Link if you will. But that is of course the fever dream of a mad man.
Glom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 06:01 PM   #4340
sotonsi

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3544946.html

It's finally fully here: the 100-second tube. 36tph at peak times consistently on the Victoria line.

Only the Moscow Metro runs trains more frequently.

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground