daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2017, 10:54 AM   #4341
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7519

London Said to Seek Mobile Network Deal for Underground Trains

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rground-trains

Quote:
London’s subway commuters are one step closer to being able to surf the internet on moving trains, as the city prepares to seek bids from telecommunications companies.

A request for proposals to roll out a fourth-generation mobile network extending across Transport for London’s 402-kilometer (249-mile) underground system is due to go out after the country’s June 8 general election, said a person familiar with the matter, who asked not to be identified as the discussions are private.

The U.K. government has been in talks with the city on bringing mobile services to underground trains as it prepares for police, firefighters and paramedics to use a new national emergency services network being delivered by BT Group Plc’s EE unit.

Mayor Sadiq Khan has been pushing to improve internet coverage in England’s capital, which lags behind cities including New York, Tokyo and Paris in providing mobile service in its subway.

“We are keen to offer full mobile phone coverage for our customers,” Transport for London said in an email, while declining to comment on specifics. “The introduction of this would need to be commercially viable and would follow engagement with staff and customers.”

dimlys1994, Jamsterx liked this post
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #4342
robincole

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...-a3544946.html

It's finally fully here: the 100-second tube. 36tph at peak times consistently on the Victoria line.

Only the Moscow Metro runs trains more frequently.
In 1912 on what is now part of the Northern Line they were running 44tph, incredible as that seems.
robincole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #4343
sotonsi

District line also used to have very high frequencies in its core section.

But times change - dwell times higher, inter-station speeds faster, reliability sought.

nitramwin liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 01:07 AM   #4344
nidave

Likes (Received): 768

From British Tramway News Facebook Group
"Tramlink are to add overspeed warning systems to trams.
After the incident near to Sandilands that killed seven people in November and also after the instances of speeding on the system since, devices will be added to the fleet that will warn drivers if their speed is becoming excessive for the section of line in use considering braking requirements that may be coming up ahead."
nidave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #4345
ex-E14

Likes (Received): 472

Massive sense of déjà vu as soon as I stepped onto this 1938 stock tube in the London Transport museum. These must have been some of the first trains I rode after moving to London in the late 70s.

Old August 2nd, 2017, 11:28 AM   #4346
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1453

Read More: https://londonist.com/2015/08/london...ew-york-subway

ex-E14, dimlys1994, Jamsterx, Equario, iEvgeny liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2017, 03:56 PM   #4347
ex-E14

Likes (Received): 472

Give me London's "germ magnet" material seats over hard plastic any day.

Well, almost any day. They have to be cleaner than the example I posted a few pages back!

sotonsi, dimlys1994, robincole liked this post
ex-E14 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2017, 04:07 PM   #4348
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6101

Art Deco hahahahaaa can't breathe hahaha. Take a damn art class.

Wilhem275, metr0p0litain, Swede liked this post
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2017, 04:16 PM   #4349
sotonsi

The bottom left picture on that infographic about stations is Canary Wharf, but the text about it says Bond Street. I can only hope that it wasn't the Londonist that made it!

While the plastic seats on the NYC Subway can be wiped down, that doesn't mean that they are wiped down that often. The stations are clearly cleaned less often than the Underground's, so it's highly likely that the trains are too.
Old August 4th, 2017, 08:05 PM   #4350
cairnstony2

Likes (Received): 35

I've seen the comparison between 'number of lines' on the London Tube and NY subway before and it is a tad misleading...

What NY defines as 'lines' is any rail service that has a beginning and end. London has a rather more arbitrary way of defining different lines which is based more on history I suppose...

If London defined a line in the same way as NY then immediately the District line would become five separate lines, the Metropolitan four, and the Northern four and so on which I think would make twenty three lines. The Elizabeth Line will make it at least twenty five.

Factor in the DLR and LO and suddenly the total number of lines climbs to over forty!

mrsmartman, Swede, arctic_carlos liked this post
cairnstony2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #4351
sotonsi

The (A) splits in two (three at peak times, though the third branch absorbs a shuttle) and there's 3 shuttles, rather than 1. The (5) also branches. The (W) has also been re-introduced to make 29.

However they include the <6> and <7> on top of the (6) and (7), so lets cut them (or add other such 'diamond' services as well as every service pattern, but I'm feeling lazy so no). We can also merge the J and Z too so 26.

You missed off the 5th Northern service (Mill Hill East), so I make it 11+1 (Central counts twice)+2 (Piccadilly counts thrice)+3 (Met)+4 (District)+4 (Northern) = 25.

PS: The Elizabeth line, LO and DLR wouldn't count for the same reason that we aren't counting PATH or AirTrain.
Old August 6th, 2017, 10:05 PM   #4352
tokyo-hypa

Likes (Received): 48

Majority of public consulted favor proposed Bakerloo extension and suggest better interchange at Elephant &Castle be provided, similar with that at Lewisham and New Cross Gate. First services estimated in 2030.

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.co...tension/178000

Swede liked this post
tokyo-hypa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #4353
LTA1992

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstony2 View Post
I've seen the comparison between 'number of lines' on the London Tube and NY subway before and it is a tad misleading...

What NY defines as 'lines' is any rail service that has a beginning and end. London has a rather more arbitrary way of defining different lines which is based more on history I suppose...

If London defined a line in the same way as NY then immediately the District line would become five separate lines, the Metropolitan four, and the Northern four and so on which I think would make twenty three lines. The Elizabeth Line will make it at least twenty five.

Factor in the DLR and LO and suddenly the total number of lines climbs to over forty!
Actually, what we in NY define as lines are the physical parts of the system. Lexington Avenue Line. West End Line. 14th Street-Canarsie Line.

Services are the letters and numbers. Example: The D service runs between Norwood and Coney Island via the Concourse, 8th Avenue, 6th Avenue-Houston Street, Christie Street, 4th Avenue, and West End Lines.

Services will switch to other lines if need be.

mrsmartman liked this post
LTA1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 01:10 PM   #4354
cairnstony2

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
Actually, what we in NY define as lines are the physical parts of the system. Lexington Avenue Line. West End Line. 14th Street-Canarsie Line.

Services are the letters and numbers. Example: The D service runs between Norwood and Coney Island via the Concourse, 8th Avenue, 6th Avenue-Houston Street, Christie Street, 4th Avenue, and West End Lines.

Services will switch to other lines if need be.
Then you need to enlighten whomever designed the above chart! I don't think they know...
cairnstony2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 01:55 PM   #4355
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTA1992 View Post
Actually, what we in NY define as lines are the physical parts of the system.

Services are the letters and numbers.
Quite. It's a ridiculous comparison as something like the the District Line in London could be broken down into up to six different services going by the NYC terms (numbering per terminus). Same for the Central line, or the Northern Line. The DLR would be a nightmare.. The Victoria line is the only one that has a single service.

It also looks like it is saying that the NYC subway is more expensive at first glance as they've put the prices in different currencies. They also compared the cheapest single fare on the London system (a single could cost you up to £7 in peak times) to the NYC flat fare which covers the entire system and is the same throughout the day (and night)
DaeguDuke está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 02:39 PM   #4356
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeguDuke View Post
The DLR would be a nightmare.
Not really (numbered for easy counting)
(1) Bank - Lewisham
(2) Bank - Woolwich
(3) Tower Gateway - Beckton
<3> Canning Town - Beckton
(4) Stratford - Canary Wharf
<4> Stratford - Lewisham
(5) Stratford Int - Woolwich

That's only 5 services, one of which has off-peak short turns upping frequency and another which has peak-only extensions.
Quote:
The Victoria line is the only one that has a single service.
Err, Waterloo & City?!?!

Likewise the Hammersmith and City, and the Circle, are single services without short turns (I believe all H&C now go to Barking, otherwise see below).

And surely Jubilee and Bakerloo would also count? AFAICS NYC doesn't give short-turns (North Greenwich, Wembley Park, Willesden Green on the Jub, Harrow & Wealdstone, Stonebridge Park and Queens Park on the Bak) a different letter. Plus there are some (depot-related this past year, previously due to lack of turning capacity) Seven Sisters terminators on the Victoria line, and you count that.
Old August 8th, 2017, 02:56 PM   #4357
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Lol, oh how could I forget the Waterloo and City line!

If you'd like to work out the equivalent in services for London be my guest, the point remains that the graphic above is comparing apples and oranges.

tokyo-hypa liked this post
DaeguDuke está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #4358
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Lol, oh how could I forget the Waterloo and City line!

If you'd like to work out the equivalent in services for London be my guest, the point remains that the graphic above is comparing apples and oranges.
The Waterloo and City, Mill Hill East, Kensington Olympia, and Chesham services would probably all just be (S).

Likewise, the Londonist article didn't count 42St, Franklin, and Rockaway Park shuttles (and any other permanent shuttles I've missed?) separately.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 07:58 PM   #4359
sotonsi

Quote:
If you'd like to work out the equivalent in services for London be my guest
Already been done upthread.
Quote:
the point remains that the graphic above is comparing apples and oranges.
And no one here is saying otherwise - if you had read the subsequent posts following the one with the crappy infographic, you'd have seen that this was pointed out a couple of days ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
Chesham services would probably all just be (S).
Chesham hasn't seen a shuttle service since 2011 - all trains outside late night/early morning depot/siding-bound trains run through to Aldgate.
Quote:
Likewise, the Londonist article didn't count 42St, Franklin, and Rockaway Park shuttles (and any other permanent shuttles I've missed?) separately.
As I pointed out upthread (there's only 3).
Old August 9th, 2017, 02:15 AM   #4360
Fabio1976

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
The NYC subway has 380 km, 472 stations, 25 lines and ABOVE ALL is 24/7 ( London tube is 24/2 )

mrsmartman liked this post
Fabio1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground