daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #421
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

It is ridiculous how small the tube trains are. However I guess we have to remember just how long ago they were built : people were smaller back then!

All the lines, bar Jubilee Extensions, have ample gap between door step and platform. It would seem logical to me that the next generation of trains have smaller wheels and thus taller carriages - but are they doing this? No.
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #422
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
well i found this picture comparing the 1973 tube stock to the large A stock train (i think)...
Indeed... An Uxbridge-bound A60 stock passes a 1973 Stock train reversing in Rayner's Lane siding. I love the look on the Piccadilly Line driver's face... typical Tube driver, looks like he wants to kill himself!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #423
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post
It is ridiculous how small the tube trains are. However I guess we have to remember just how long ago they were built : people were smaller back then!

All the lines, bar Jubilee Extensions, have ample gap between door step and platform. It would seem logical to me that the next generation of trains have smaller wheels and thus taller carriages - but are they doing this? No.
Smaller wheels require incrreased energy. Is there enough power on the deep tunnels to supprt smaller wheeels?
Trainman Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 05:22 AM   #424
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman Dave View Post
Smaller wheels require incrreased energy. Is there enough power on the deep tunnels to supprt smaller wheeels?
I'm sure power isn't an issue, its the cost involved in lowering and extending every platform. Bear in mind that due to the circular profile of the tunnels having a lower floor also means having a narrower floor, therefore platforms would need to be extended outwards slightly to meet the train doors.

Its an integral part of the sadly shelved 'Space Train' concept, where the Victoria Line fleet was to be replaced with low floor, small-wheeled, articulated trainsets to increase capacity. Instead we've settled for conventional trains from Bombardier... I think we've missed a trick really. The reason as far as I'm concerned is that the Victoria Line 'Movia' trains are the first batch of what will eventually be hundreds replacing the trains on the Bakerloo and Piccadilly Lines... Using the same design for all of them saves money on development.
Old April 14th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #425
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

well the tubes on the jubilee line extension are bigger, but isn't that so they could fit in a walk was by the side, so the trains still have to be small

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #426
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

I love the Glasgow subway system, it's so cute! Like a toy town subway with it's tiny little bright orange trains!
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #427
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
well the tubes on the jubilee line extension are bigger, but isn't that so they could fit in a walk was by the side, so the trains still have to be small
Yes, the tunnels on the JLE are bigger to accommodate an emergency walkway... obviously because the tunnels between Green Park and Finchley Road are standard Tube diameter trains couldn't exceed these limitations.
Old April 14th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #428
FallenGuard

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
It's a little taller than the London one, though.
In London I must always mind my head when standing inside the train near a door, otherwise I could lose it
"Mind the Gap.... and, uhm, your Head, please".
FallenGuard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #429
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20273

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
It's a little taller than the London one, though.
In London I must always mind my head when standing inside the train near a door, otherwise I could lose it

The first line in Budapest is also very narrow (2.22 m), as are many of the older subways in the world, like the ones in Paris (2.46 m) or Hamburg (2.48 m).
I got my head stuck in the doors of a tube train in London once, one of those white, blue and red ones that curves in at the top.

The train stopped and the doors opened so i started to exit the train when the doors closed again. Because of the curve, my head was outside while my body was still in the train when the doors clamped around my ears. Rather disturbingly the train then started to move and although it stopped after about 3m and the doors reopened I was a little worried that my face was going to be scraped against the side of the tunnel leaving only a bloodied mass of pulp at the next station.

Needless to say my friends found the entire incident hilarious!!
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #430
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Apart from the Glasgow Subway as far as I know they're the only ones.

Though I wouldn't have it any other way myself, it's what makes the tube unique, if we had boring big trains like Tokyo then it just wouldn't be as much as a tourist attraction, I mean, you haven't experienced London until you've been on the tube! It would also be incredibly boring. As long as I don't stand near the edge of the tube, or I don't lean against the walls (i'd have to bend my neck forwards) i'm usually all right on the tube... I also find the Central Line to seem more spacious inside, maybe it's because the walls are straight from the bottom to a single, steeper curve at the top. It gives the impression of a bigger train...

Also, i've never been on the Paris Metro, but from pictures i've seen, the rolling stock seems to be very narrow, whereas on the tube it's wider but with a lower ceiling.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #431
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
I got my head stuck in the doors of a tube train in London once, one of those white, blue and red ones that curves in at the top.

The train stopped and the doors opened so i started to exit the train when the doors closed again. Because of the curve, my head was outside while my body was still in the train when the doors clamped around my ears. Rather disturbingly the train then started to move and although it stopped after about 3m and the doors reopened I was a little worried that my face was going to be scraped against the side of the tunnel leaving only a bloodied mass of pulp at the next station.

The train could not have motored as your head was keeping the doors open, and the motors won't engage unless all the doors are proven closed. At worst the driver may have let the brakes off, in which case the train may have started to creep forwards if on a gradient.
Old April 14th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #432
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post

sorry I dont believe that for a second!

I did see someone's afro get stuck in the doors once with the train pulling out (them inside of course). But I guess hair is something that the doors can forcibly close over!
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #433
RSG

Likes (Received): 4

Apart from the head room, the tube is by far the best city metro in the world. I have heard that New York and Paris are up there as well. You should be thankfull for what you have.
Old April 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #434
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSG View Post
Apart from the head room, the tube is by far the best city metro in the world. I have heard that New York and Paris are up there as well. You should be thankfull for what you have.
I agree with the London and New York metro systems being some of the best but...the Paris metro is really old, smelly and there are no lifts or escalators hardly only in the main stations.

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #435
micro

Likes (Received): 106

I like the London tube stock. Even if the roof is low, it is high enough for the trains to fulfill their purposes very well. And they look very elegant and distinct with their round shape.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #436
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
I agree with the London and New York metro systems being some of the best but...the Paris metro is really old, smelly and there are no lifts or escalators hardly only in the main stations.
I think this is unduly harsh: I was very impressed with the Paris Metro in all aspects but the lack of visible staff which is where I believe the Tube excels. Paris is old, London is older... Old means nothing as long as its not dilapidated, and neither is. I didn't notice the Paris metro being 'smelly' either.

Paris stations are generally shallow and so have just stair access, obviously escalators and lifts are a necessity at many London Tube stations as they're so much deeper... Its fairer to compare Paris with the subsurface Underground lines, and most of these have no escalators down from street level either.
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #437
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

The Budapest metro was tiny too, but I think the Glasgow ones are the smallest (not squared off like Budapest's).
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #438
Tancred

London underground is great but I think Berlin is better. Some of the lines run all night on weekends. They have the group tickets (2-5 people travel for the price of 2 people), and if you are buying a monthy ticket (that covers all public transport) you get to take a friend for free at night and on weekends. The monthly ticket also gets you some free and some discount travel outside berlin on the regional services. This sort of service is found across Germany.

People wonder why train travel is so popular in Germany. The ticketing system has a lot to do with it.
Tancred no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:11 PM   #439
Janis_LV
Janis_LV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancred View Post
London underground is great but I think Berlin is better. Some of the lines run all night on weekends. They have the group tickets (2-5 people travel for the price of 2 people), and if you are buying a monthy ticket (that covers all public transport) you get to take a friend for free at night and on weekends. The monthly ticket also gets you some free and some discount travel outside berlin on the regional services. This sort of service is found across Germany.

People wonder why train travel is so popular in Germany. The ticketing system has a lot to do with it.
London underground systhem is pain in you know where. It is as day and night when compared with Berlin or Paris. Berlin has fantastic public transport it might be one of the most expensive in Europe with one way ticket costing 2,10 EUR, but it is absolutely worth it. The best about it is, that it is operating throughout the night, also when large parts of it are on ground, And it is fast and relieable and it is rarely too crowded and it is never late.

London on the countrary is stopping between 23:30 - 00:30 even on weekends. One track can carry many lines - so on some stations like Baker street it is very easy to get on different train. Than the train might be full, too late, than there are signal failures every day, imagine this full train is stopping somewhere between stations and doesn't move for what seem like eternity, just because there is a signal failure or there was a signal failure 1 hour ago etc. When this is solved, next time the train stops because there is a traffic jam in the tube, yes, because one track is used by many lines. And such traffic jams cause the delays and delay means that the train will be full again. And this is every day like this. I don't know guys how you can stand it. All my top marks go to Madrid, Paris and Berlin - fantastic subway, London is doing its best, but the systhem is simply too old, while building it some serious mistakes were done and now it is too late.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:30 PM   #440
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janis_LV View Post
London on the countrary is stopping between 23:30 - 00:30 even on weekends. One track can carry many lines - so on some stations like Baker street it is very easy to get on different train.
Not if you're clever enough to look at the dot matrix boards or look at the front of the train, or listen to the on board announcements! And London isn't the only system that shares tracks.

Quote:
Than the train might be full,
Oh yeah, no other systems are ever full aren't they

Quote:
too late, than there are signal failures every day,
You're right there, there are a lot of signal failures, but it depends what line you're on, some are worse than others and £10bn are being spent to improve the system with new stock, signalling, etc.

Quote:
imagine this full train is stopping somewhere between stations and doesn't move for what seem like eternity, just because there is a signal failure or there was a signal failure 1 hour ago etc. When this is solved, next time the train stops because there is a traffic jam in the tube, yes, because one track is used by many lines. And such traffic jams cause the delays and delay means that the train will be full again. And this is every day like this. I don't know guys how you can stand it. All my top marks go to Madrid, Paris and Berlin - fantastic subway, London is doing its best, but the systhem is simply too old, while building it some serious mistakes were done and now it is too late.
Did you actually go on any of the deep-level tube lines? The sub-surface network can be slow and trains can stop a lot between the stations but this rarely happens on the deep tubes.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground