daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:27 PM   #441
Dothog
On the bog

Likes (Received): 18

The tunnels on some lines in Osaka are little larger than in London.

http://ss7.inet-osaka.or.jp/%7Eterao...8/ml98edit.htm
Dothog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:41 PM   #442
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janis_LV View Post
London underground systhem is pain in you know where. It is as day and night when compared with Berlin or Paris. Berlin has fantastic public transport it might be one of the most expensive in Europe with one way ticket costing 2,10 EUR, but it is absolutely worth it. The best about it is, that it is operating throughout the night, also when large parts of it are on ground, And it is fast and relieable and it is rarely too crowded and it is never late.

London on the countrary is stopping between 23:30 - 00:30 even on weekends. One track can carry many lines - so on some stations like Baker street it is very easy to get on different train. Than the train might be full, too late, than there are signal failures every day, imagine this full train is stopping somewhere between stations and doesn't move for what seem like eternity, just because there is a signal failure or there was a signal failure 1 hour ago etc. When this is solved, next time the train stops because there is a traffic jam in the tube, yes, because one track is used by many lines. And such traffic jams cause the delays and delay means that the train will be full again. And this is every day like this. I don't know guys how you can stand it. All my top marks go to Madrid, Paris and Berlin - fantastic subway, London is doing its best, but the systhem is simply too old, while building it some serious mistakes were done and now it is too late.
Paris, Berlin and Madrid are all much smaller systems compared to London (Madrid in particular is much younger than London and has a lot of new lines). London essentially has more scope to have signal failures - this is basic maths.

Also most of the lines run on their own tracks. I think you're referring to the central section of the sub-surface lines. By 2 lines running on the same tracks through the busiest part of the city you increase the frequency of trains to every minute or so - I don't understand why you have a problem with this?

As for 24 hour running - I would love to see London do it, but even in New York or Berlin the frequencies are very low and don't cover the entire network. London has an excellent 24 hour bus network that's safe, cheap and easy to use.
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 10:59 PM   #443
Minato ku

I like London tube even all the big failure and delay
but London tube is not so busy for its size, especially when I compare with Paris (exept the Victoria line).
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:23 PM   #444
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Heres a good impression of the size of the tunnels/trains

Quite impressive that they've managed to make them at least a bit spacious with such small tunnels...
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #445
elkram
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Ha ha. I freaked out after boarding my metro in a hurry one busy springtime morning. My coat was caught in the doors. With no space for me to turn around to see how I'd go about collecting myself, I plied the doorleaves behind me apart to free my fabric and bring it into the wagon. Doors re-opening more often cause the metro emergency brakes to kick in, and I suddenly found myself watching the two dozen standing passengers right in front of me all fall down toward the right at the same moment, the leftmost ones ending on top of the others. Had an awful time hiding my amused reaction after lip-synch'ing <<Pardon!>> once most of them got back onto their feet, although none of them seemed to have figured out I'd caused the brakes to switch on. (My freak-out was the prospect of my fabric becoming snared onto something outside the train.)
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #446
RSG

Likes (Received): 4

I thought the Paris metro was pretty good. Sure it could have done with a refurbishment. Maybe the authorities could employ all the unemployed youth to do the refurbishment instead of them burning cars and protesting.
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #447
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
I agree with the London and New York metro systems being some of the best but...the Paris metro is really old, smelly and there are no lifts or escalators hardly only in the main stations.
I have to disagree with the Paris opinion. Yes, it's old, but like London's great network, that is one of it's bonus points. I love these old historical networks - they have so much more character than the modern systems. And quite frankly, it doesn't smell bad to me. The Paris network is one (if not the) densest networks in the world and it is fantastic to ride.

But year. It doesn't have enough escalators. Tubeman has a point about being close to the surface, but in my opinion not close enough not to warrant escalators, and when carrying luggage around, this can be a problem.
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #448
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Paris's metro had been a little run-down until a couple of years ago, but for its 100th birthday in the year 2000, everything has been refurbished, cleaned, and upgraded. Now Paris has one of the most beautiful subway systems in the world with its historic vaults station architecture, the cast-iron Art Nouveau entrances, the artworks in some stations, and its overall grandeur and efficiency.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #449
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

the one thing that creeped me out on the tube, NO ONE TALKS. its freaky as hell.
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #450
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
the one thing that creeped me out on the tube, NO ONE TALKS. its freaky as hell.
Thats one of the rules on the tube. Others include:

1) Stand on the right of the escalator
2) No eye contact, if one looks at another look away as fast as possible
3) No reading other people's newspaper, it just makes you cheap
4) Let passengers off the train first

There are probably more that i've forgotten... If someone breaks a rule everyone just assumes they're foreign.
Old April 29th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #451
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3139

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
Very true. At least, no one talks to anyone that they don't know. I was surprised travelling on the New York subway how people will talk to you.
Old April 29th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #452
Minato ku

In Paris subway people talk and listen music in teir phone without ear-phones
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:44 PM   #453
Xabi

Likes (Received): 5

Mind the gap!!!!!

London underground symbol.

Victoria underground entrance.

Picadilly Circus.

De Snor GOIAN BEGO
Xabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:48 PM   #454
iampuking

Nice photos, did you go visit London or do you live here?
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:49 PM   #455
Xabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Nice photos, did you go visit London or do you live here?
I were in East Kent for a week and I visit London during 2 days.

De Snor GOIAN BEGO
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:08 PM   #456
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabi View Post
I were in East Kent for a week and I visit London during 2 days.
Ohh.. right, did you like it here, what did you think of The Tube?

Quote:
Westminster is quite aweinspiring, but give me a cross platform interchange anyday! it's an arse to change westbound district to northbound jubilee. All the Jubilee interchanges (but canning town for DLR and Canada Water) are really annoying, a shame considering how well the Victoria planners did.
I agree that the JLE interchanges are long, but I think that's mainly down to geology, if you look at the link below you'll see that most of the lines on the Jubilee line are perpendicular to existing tube lines, it's the same for most of central London as well, but the Victoria line was luckier in that aspect.

http://www.simonclarke.org/lul/maps/lul.gif

Also, unless you want the Jubilee line to go vertical between Westminster and Waterloo, I don't think theres any point in making a cross platform interchange between the sub surface and deep level tube lines.

Last edited by iampuking; May 2nd, 2007 at 12:46 AM.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:50 PM   #457
Xabi

Quote:
Ohh.. right, did you like it here, what did you think of The Tube?
I think the Tube is fast and confortable, but sometimes the temperature inside trains was very high. In addition I think it's a safe place.

Nevertheless, accustomed to other metros (Paris, for example), I think there are some places too much far from Tube stations.

Photos about railways taken during my holidays in East Kent.

De Snor GOIAN BEGO
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:46 AM   #458
iampuking

Quote:
I think the Tube is fast and confortable, but sometimes the temperature inside trains was very high. In addition I think it's a safe place.

Nevertheless, accustomed to other metros (Paris, for example), I think there are some places too much far from Tube stations.

Photos about railways taken during my holidays in East Kent.

Fast?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:48 AM   #459
Xabi

Quote:
Fast?
That's my impression (I have only stayed for 2 days), but I don't know what's its real speed.

De Snor GOIAN BEGO
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:57 AM   #460
iampuking

Quote:
That's my impression (I have only stayed for 2 days), but I don't know what's its real speed.
Most lines can go at about 60kph, though the Victoria line travels at 80kph between stations and the Central and Metropolitan lines can reach up to 100kph... not that fast really, but i'm not to sure myself.

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground