daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #561
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Bloody Metronet left a piece of corrugated iron on the track after maintanence work, apparently.

The people on the train thought it was another terrorist attack...
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2007, 03:03 AM   #562
iampuking

Some more tube memorabilia:

http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acro.../stations.html
Old July 24th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #563
iampuking

Tube etiquette guide:

http://solo2.abac.com/themole/tuberules.html
Old July 24th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #564
iampuking

http://www.dougrose.co.uk/

Website about Charles Yerkes tile patterns in tube stations, very interesting, such a shame that many have been destroyed.
Old July 25th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #565
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
http://www.dougrose.co.uk/

Website about Charles Yerkes tile patterns in tube stations, very interesting, such a shame that many have been destroyed.
Phantastic link!!
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #566
iampuking

Deppressing link if you ask me. It's doubtful that any of it will ever be preserved now that it has been partially privatised. In fact if we have a tory government it would be even worse...
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #567
micro

But interesting to learn about the underlying concept of these tilings. I've always seen the stations and wondered why some had that tiling and others not. It's of course a pity that some are clad with tons of advertising posters but maybe they will be restored in the future.

Old July 28th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #568
iampuking

Blame whoever an earth controlled the Tube in the 80s, there was this whole thing that was designed to 'freshen' the Tube and make it look less 'dreary', I don't see how covering beautiful yet simple Edwardian tiling with lovely enamel panels like this is going to 'freshen' anything up. Additional lines (Jubilee, Victoria) and additions have not helped matters, only recently has tiling been restored at stations. And by the way micro, a lot of the stations have been 'restored' in an inaccurate pastiche, the second pic of yours shows this.

Heres an example of a station being "freshened up", before it was beautiful green and brown (maybe not the loveliest of combinations but who cares) Edwardian tiling, which when made was seen as rather progressive. It was "freshened up" in the 80s-90s, heres how it looks today:

image hosted on flickr

Gorgeous

And here is an example of a station that has been restored almost as an exact replica, of course with modern amenities fitted. Unfortunately, out of the 40+ stations there are very few stations that have identicle tiling to the original. And the ones left are either in bad condition, or at stations which are rarely viewed.

The pic is on this website: http://davidhenderson.fotopic.net/p42681694.html

The infracos however seem to love tiling stations in white white and more white, even though the original tiling has been destoryed, it's not like there are no archives whatsoever as that site proves. The designers know the size of the tiles (they were all the same size) and the pattern, how hard could it be? The whiteness is okay for Central line stations (as they were white from day one) but Yerkes stations? Since they are so incompetent anyway it's not like they'd have much spare money to fund protection of hertitage.
Old July 28th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #569
micro

It is a good thing that some of the Edwardian stations are preserved in their original state but I think slavishly preserving all of them is not necessary. They are interesting but at the same time they are merely a fashion of their time. They are not as timeless and high-quality as Moscow's marble stations are, for example, which should be preserved for a much longer time. Those Edwardian tiles are somewhat simple and not durable and they are destined to be replaced after a few decades, and it is appropriate to switch to a fresh station design then. But I'm glad that some of the Edwardian stations survive and are carefully preserved.
Old July 28th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #570
iampuking

I beg to differ, if something is a timeless design then it should stay. I don't agree that things that aren't overly spectacular and decadent should be the only things that are preserved. If everything looked how it was fashionable today then we mays well destroy most of Britain and replace it with futuristic crap, why can't we have old design yet the amenities updated? As has been seen at Regent's Park. You can't have day without night. Don't you think the London Underground roundel is a timeless design? Well it was designed in the 30s and has barely been altered yet looks great to this day, yet it is not over complicated and overstated, like for example the Olympic logo. Why can't old and new co-exist?

Here are the different architectural styles on the Tube:

Victorian, pre-1900- Most of the Circle, District, Metropolitan, H&C, Central line (North of Newbury Park and Leytonstone) Northern line (north of East Finchley),
Edwardian, 1900-1910- Northern (Charing Cross branch), Piccadilly line (central section) and Bakerloo line (central section)
Art Deco, 1920-1940 - Piccadilly line (north of Finsbury Park and west of Hammersmith), Central line (east of Liverpool Street and west of White City, between Leytonstone and Gants Hill) Northern line (South of Clapham South), Bakerloo line (north of Paddington),
Brutalist, 1960-1970- Victoria line, Jubilee line (Baker Street to Green Park)
"Freshened up" - Too much of the stations in the Central section
Modern - Jubilee line (between Westminster and Stratford)

See here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...7#post14497997

As you can see there are many architectural styles on the Tube, without having to "freshen them up" the stations are varied enough! And by the way i'm not against new things, i'm against old things being destroyed for new things. This is something I feel incredibly strongly about as you can see.

Last edited by iampuking; July 28th, 2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old July 29th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #571
micro

Quote:
Why can't old and new co-exist?
... ...
As you can see there are many architectural styles on the Tube, without having to "freshen them up" the stations are varied enough! And by the way i'm not against new things, i'm against old things being destroyed for new things. This is something I feel incredibly strongly about as you can see.
Old and new can coexist very well, as I said. And they should coexist.

Of course nothing should be destroyed deliberately. It's just the natural way of everything: Station interior gets old, tiles crumble. The less durable the materials are, the more frequently do they have to be replaced. The metro operators have to refurbish things, and they have to do it economically. So they use materials that are cheap at the time being. That's probably why Embankment station changed its looks.

Preserving historical things is usually more costly. E.g., oldstyle tiles may not be available anymore and have to be manufactured specifically for the task, and manual work is more costly today than 100 years ago. So when stations have to be refurbished, the 'natural' way is to do it using today's materials and today's style.
Old July 29th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #572
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
Old and new can coexist very well, as I said. And they should coexist.

Of course nothing should be destroyed deliberately. It's just the natural way of everything: Station interior gets old, tiles crumble. The less durable the materials are, the more frequently do they have to be replaced. The metro operators have to refurbish things, and they have to do it economically. So they use materials that are cheap at the time being. That's probably why Embankment station changed its looks.

Preserving historical things is usually more costly. E.g., oldstyle tiles may not be available anymore and have to be manufactured specifically for the task, and manual work is more costly today than 100 years ago. So when stations have to be refurbished, the 'natural' way is to do it using today's materials and today's style.
I agree with you. These days the tiles are all pre-fabricated rather than individually tiled on like they were those days. I guess that's what happens when the company is no longer public and instead private. The only thing I was arguing against was whether there was any point preserving them or not, but when I put my economic hat on (which is UBER hard for me) it doesn't work very well.
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #573
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
I agree with you. These days the tiles are all pre-fabricated rather than individually tiled on like they were those days. I guess that's what happens when the company is no longer public and instead private. The only thing I was arguing against was whether there was any point preserving them or not, but when I put my economic hat on (which is UBER hard for me) it doesn't work very well.
I'm not quite with you... tiles are tiles are tiles, they are manufactured and installed in the same way in 2007 that they were in 1907.

And the 'golden age' of Yerkes stations in the 1900's was the product of private enterprise: sheer capitalism. Public sector was an unknown concept in 1900.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #574
micro

But the letter tiles as in the Kentish Town station probably require expensive manual work.

Old July 30th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #575
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
I'm not quite with you... tiles are tiles are tiles, they are manufactured and installed in the same way in 2007 that they were in 1907.

And the 'golden age' of Yerkes stations in the 1900's was the product of private enterprise: sheer capitalism. Public sector was an unknown concept in 1900.
I'm not denying that capitalism is why they were made, those days companies felt the need to impress by making everything grand (Paddington station is a good example) These days it's cost, cost, cost and more cost that makes people buy stuff.

And i'm quite sure that the way the tiles were applied on individually where stations like Bond Street (Jubilee line) were pre fabricated.

And by the way micro, the tiles at Kentish Town aren't actually the original design, just a pastiche.
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:57 PM   #576
iampuking

These were the best videos I could find that allowed embedding, all by the same person, I nicked this idea from minato ku (I think that's his name...)

Victoria line

Piccadilly line

Central line

Northern line

Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:49 PM   #577
pookgai

Likes (Received): 23

Does anyone have any information (surveys, customer opinions, industry surveys) on London Underground or London's Transport network (especially Rail) against other cities? Or know where I can find it? Much appreciated.
pookgai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM   #578
iampuking

I found this? image hosted on flickr
Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:57 PM   #579
iampuking

I just googled "London Underground survey" and that was the first thing I found...
Old August 22nd, 2007, 09:05 PM   #580
iampuking

Funny page, especially the bit where Tony Blair used the Jubilee line extention...

http://solo2.abac.com/themole//tubenews.html

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground