daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #601
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
The addition of the 'London Overground' has turned a map that was famous for it's clarity into a tangarine mess.

See here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx
it's not a mess, it's the same map. only with new overground lines on.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #602
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Thanks for the heads up, Falubaz.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 03:46 PM   #603
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18139

Pay-by-mobile phone trial starts in London

LONDON, Nov 28 (Reuters) - Shoppers in the British capital will be able to buy Underground tickets and newspapers with a wave of their mobile phone rather than cash during a trial starting on Wednesday.

Hundreds of people have been given special handsets fitted with a built-in credit card and Oyster card, the device used to pay for train and bus tickets in London.

When the phone is passed over a scanner in stations or shops, money is deducted from the mobile phone as payment, the trial's organisers said.

People can spend up to 10 pounds at a time at selected shops and cafes, including cafe chain Coffee Republic, alcohol retailer Threshers and book shop Books Etc.

Wireless transactions are common in some countries, such as Japan, where consumers already use mobiles to pay for everything from burgers to train tickets.

Organisers say that if the six-month London trial is a success the scheme could be extended to include bigger payments, more shops and concerts and plays.

Those taking part will receive 50 pounds ($103.2) worth of Oyster journeys, 60 pounds off their O2 phone bill and 200 pounds to spend with the in-built Barclaycard.

The companies behind the trial include Transport for London, mobile phone firm O2, Barclaycard, Visa Europe, and Nokia.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 09:50 PM   #604
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

Fake email about LU and phones

opps sorry. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4724101.stm

Last edited by Acemcbuller; December 4th, 2007 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Deleted since the news story was old when I thought it was new.
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:37 PM   #605
iampuking

What happenned? Was it a myth?
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #606
urgel23

Likes (Received): 16

http://www.cityrailtransit.com/londo...on_gallery.htm
urgel23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #607
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 183

mm, I loved circle line more. It was like urban strike, so old and specific. We slept two rings in circle line because we were so tired after Fabric night club. And that club was awesome!
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #608
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexriga View Post
mm, I loved circle line more. It was like urban strike, so old and specific. We slept two rings in circle line because we were so tired after Fabric night club. And that club was awesome!
And I once done the circle line pub crawl. 28 stations from memory (including a final drink at the pub we started in) in 12 hours. 11am to 11pm. Wasn't as easy as it sounds (well, 28pints is never easy) but consider the time to wait at the bar, drink the pint, take a piss, find the closest station, wait for the next train and then hit the next pub.

Old January 18th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #609
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
And I once done the circle line pub crawl. 28 stations from memory (including a final drink at the pub we started in) in 12 hours. 11am to 11pm. Wasn't as easy as it sounds (well, 28pints is never easy) but consider the time to wait at the bar, drink the pint, take a piss, find the closest station, wait for the next train and then hit the next pub.

hehe, this is a splendide idea, one pint - one station - one piss
i have to try it some day...

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #610
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

Is the tiny bit of single track at the end of the former East London Line in New Cross Gate going to be doubled? I can't imagine them keeping a section of single track right in the middle of the new ELLX.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #611
iampuking

It's using a completely different alignment, so I think so.

I've made a thread called "What do you hate about your Metro?" as this forum is pretty much dead half the time... Complain about the Tube there!
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #612
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
And I once done the circle line pub crawl. <snip> take a piss,
I thought that if you did that, you went back two stations (I know that if that rule was in force, it would make the pub crawl pretty much impossible).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
Is the tiny bit of single track at the end of the former East London Line in New Cross Gate going to be doubled?
yes and no - there will be another track, but it'll be the other side of the mainline (having gone over a flyover). South of NXG, the ELL will merge in with the slow tracks. It is effectively doubled, but it isn't technically - it is to be a slip road for a grade separated junction (to take an analogy from the roads) - what's going to happen is another slip road is being built, but not making the single track bit two track
Quote:
It's using a completely different alignment, so I think so.
again, yes and no - it's rebuilding the old ELL alignment (from the days of Croydon Central - Liverpool Street services, and later freight movements) - the bit that was in use till December is still going to be used, however the main bit of construction will be on a completely different alignment (the bit that's effectively doubling the single track bit).

Basically, the single track bit is to be doubled, but the other track is on a completely different alignment.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #613
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 17

I love London metro. I also love London in general, but that's another story for another day
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #614
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
I thought that if you did that, you went back two stations (I know that if that rule was in force, it would make the pub crawl pretty much impossible).yes and no - there will be another track, but it'll be the other side of the mainline (having gone over a flyover). South of NXG, the ELL will merge in with the slow tracks. It is effectively doubled, but it isn't technically - it is to be a slip road for a grade separated junction (to take an analogy from the roads) - what's going to happen is another slip road is being built, but not making the single track bit two trackagain, yes and no - it's rebuilding the old ELL alignment (from the days of Croydon Central - Liverpool Street services, and later freight movements) - the bit that was in use till December is still going to be used, however the main bit of construction will be on a completely different alignment (the bit that's effectively doubling the single track bit).

Basically, the single track bit is to be doubled, but the other track is on a completely different alignment.
To add to this, even though he probably won't even view it, a diagram from London Connections (is that your site?)
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #615
U Thant

Likes (Received): 0

That's my blog actually. It shows the new connections at the north end (Shoreditch) rather than the south end (New Cross Gate).

At New Cross Gate, southbound trains will use the existing ELL platform before running through where the buffers were to join the mainline south of the station. Northbound trains will call at the westernmost mainline platform before moving left and going up a ramp parallel to the main line. They'll then turn right over a flyover across the whole main line, go down another ramp and join the ELL at the double track section.

This second ramp is in the middle of where the new depot is being built. You can actually see the foundations and ramps under construction from a London Bridge - New Cross Gate train.
U Thant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #616
iampuking

So there will affectively be cross-platform interchange at New Cross Gate from London Overground to NR? It seems silly to have two southbound platforms though, as London Overground trains will take the exact same route as NR trains... Am I right?

Great blog by the way, very informative!
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #617
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
So there will affectively be cross-platform interchange at New Cross Gate from London Overground to NR? It seems silly to have two southbound platforms though, as London Overground trains will take the exact same route as NR trains... Am I right?

Great blog by the way, very informative!
There's a bit of logic to it operationally: if the ELL was diverted to join the NR 'slow' lines north of New Cross Gate then very often a train ex-ELL would be held approaching the junction waiting for a path. Having two adjacent southbound platforms means that a train ex-ELL can wait at a platform for its southbound path, and possibly allow customers to cross-transfer if its being held long enough for a train ex-London Bridge to overtake it.

If you catch my drift...
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #618
iampuking

Yes that makes a lot sense actually, it's actually more flexible for passengers who want to go south as quickly as possible, rather than passengers who get on at New Cross Gate.
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #619
iampuking

Pictures of the Tube taken from the 'Best Subway' thread. All of these were taken from flickr, after trawling through hundreds of photos to find the best ones. I should really ask for permission first, but if anyone asks me to take them down then I will. I'm putting these here because it took me a while to get them all, and I want to revive this thread!

Pre-1900 sub-surface stations (Circle, East London, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines, i.e. the Sub Surface Network, there are however pre-1900 overground 'tube line' stations, these are as a result of existing railway takeovers or line swapping.)

Baker Street, Circle and Hammersmith and City lines platforms:

image hosted on flickr

Great Portland Street:

image hosted on flickr

Notting Hill Gate, Circle and District lines platforms:

image hosted on flickr

Farringdon, Circle, Hammersmith and City and Metropolitan lines platforms to the right, First Capital Connect Thameslink service to the left:

image hosted on flickr

South Kensington Circle and District lines platform:

image hosted on flickr

Earl's Court District line platforms:

image hosted on flickr

Paddington:

image hosted on flickr

Embankment:

image hosted on flickr

Barons Court:

image hosted on flickr

Many pre-1900 suburban stations have these 'country cottage' type of entrances, some of which are left over from existing railway take-overs, they look 'cottagey' perhaps because when they were built many of them were in the countryside!

Southfields:

image hosted on flickr

Stepney Green:

image hosted on flickr

Walthamstow Central:

image hosted on flickr

The platforms usually have an 'upside down picket fence' type of roof as their distinguishing feature.

Woodside Park:

image hosted on flickr

Barons Court:

image hosted on flickr

Barkingside:

image hosted on flickr

Two of the few surviving C&SLR (City and South London Railway, now the Northern line's Bank branch). The first section opened in 1890 and was the first deep level railway in the world, however, the Tower Subway and Thames Tunnel could both be thought of as railways, the Tower Subway was cable hauled, and the Thames Tunnel wasn't originally intended to be a railway tunnel, being converted in the 1860s. The Thames Tunnel was also just a section of the East London Railway (now East London line) whereas the C&SLR was entirely in deep bore tunnels. The C&SLR tunnels are not original, as they were widened in the 1920s. The C&SLR was also one of the first railways in the world to use electric traction. C&SLR stations had plain white tiling on the platforms with a brown band legnthways, none of this tiling remains.

Original narrow island platforms, only two stations are still like this on the network:

Clapham Common:

image hosted on flickr

Kennington:

image hosted on flickr

Clapham Common:

image hosted on flickr

Waterloo station on the Waterloo & City line (originally London and South Western Railway) it was opened in 1898, noticeable in being a cut-and-cover station on a 'tube' line, the rest of the line is deep level. This isn't the original decor:

image hosted on flickr

Central London Railway stations, built around 1900. The platforms, like the C&SLR, had plain white tiling. It is now the Central line.

Lancaster Gate:

image hosted on flickr

Queensway:

image hosted on flickr

Charles Yerks station (Bakerloo, Piccadilly and Northern (Charing Cross branch) lines) Designed by Leslie Green. Most of these were made between 1900-1910. The entrances have distinctive 'ox-blood' tiling for the entrances, and the platforms have unique tile patterns which differ for every station, many of which were unfortunately replaced in the 80s-90s... See below.

Arsenal:

image hosted on flickr

Chalk Farm:

image hosted on flickr

Russell Square:

image hosted on flickr

Holloway Road:

image hosted on flickr

Holloway Road:

image hosted on flickr

Covent Garden:

image hosted on flickr

Chalk Farm:

image hosted on flickr

Belsize Park:

image hosted on flickr

Lambeth North:

image hosted on flickr

1910-1920s stations on the Bakerloo's extention to Queen's Park and the Northern line's extension from Golder's Green to Edgware designed by Stanley A Heaps.

Edgware:

image hosted on flickr

Hendon Central:

image hosted on flickr

This is a continuation of the Leslie Green stations and is therefore based on them

Maida Vale:

image hosted on flickr

Charles Holden art deco stations 1920s-1940s, there are Charles Holden stations on most lines. Some of his stations are reconstructions of existing Central London stations for the equipping of escalators, as all deep level stations were built before escalators were even invented and required lifts and a spiral staircase for emergencies. The rest of his work was reconstructions of suburban overground stations, and brand new suburban stations to encourage development.

Clapham South:

image hosted on flickr

Wood Green:

image hosted on flickr

Oakwood:

image hosted on flickr

Cockfosters:

image hosted on flickr

East Finchley:

image hosted on flickr

Harrow-on-the-Hill:

image hosted on flickr

Kilburn:

image hosted on flickr

Tooting Bec:

image hosted on flickr

St James' Park:

image hosted on flickr

Ealing Common:

image hosted on flickr

Oakwood:

image hosted on flickr

Cockfosters:

image hosted on flickr

Chiswick Park:

image hosted on flickr

Northfields:

image hosted on flickr

Art deco escalator lamps, they were first on the Tube in the late twenties, most of them were unfortunately ripped out along with the wooden escalators after the King's Cross Fire in 1987, but a handful remain.

Southgate:

image hosted on flickr

Contemporary version, the originals were brown:

image hosted on flickr

This station was modelled on the Moscow Metro after Holden visited it in the 40s.

Gants Hill:

image hosted on flickr

1950-1960s stations, these are both reconstructions.

Moorgate:

image hosted on flickr

Euston Square:

image hosted on flickr

1960s-1970s stations (Victoria line) Each station has a unique motif in the wall recesses behind the benches. Some of them are a bit naff and literal, for example, Brixton has a tonne of bricks as it's motif... Other than that the platforms are practically identical, except for updates over the years: Oxford Circus and Victoria both had their tiles replaced with something just as bland and Oxford Circus and Green Park both no longer have their original motifs... See all the motifs here.

Walthamstow Central:

image hosted on flickr

Green Park, Victoria line platform:

image hosted on flickr

Finsbury Park:

image hosted on flickr

Stockwell:

image hosted on flickr

1970s-1980s stations (Piccadilly line between Hounslow West and Heathrow Airport, and Jubilee line between Baker Street and Green Park)

Green Park Jubilee line platform:

image hosted on flickr

Baker Street Jubilee line platform:

image hosted on flickr

Hatton Cross:

image hosted on flickr

1980s-1990s stations (most of them are not original designs, most of them are in Central London, unfortunately)

Euston Northern line (Charing Cross branch) platform:

image hosted on flickr

Angel:

image hosted on flickr

Green Park Piccadilly line platform:

image hosted on flickr

Charing Cross Bakerloo line platform:

image hosted on flickr

Baker Street Bakerloo line platform:

image hosted on flickr

21st century stations (Mostly Jubilee line between Westminster and Stratford but some old stations that have been modernised in 21st century style)

Waterloo Jubilee line platform:

image hosted on flickr

London Bridge Jubilee line platform:

image hosted on flickr

Bermondsey:

image hosted on flickr

Southwark:

image hosted on flickr

North Greenwich:

image hosted on flickr

Southwark:

image hosted on flickr

Bermondsey:

image hosted on flickr

Canary Wharf:

image hosted on flickr

Elephant & Castle:

image hosted on flickr

Finsbury Park:

image hosted on flickr

Brixton:

image hosted on flickr

Last but not least, the trains, the interior decor is usually based on the line's colour, though there are some exceptions because of the Disability Discrimination Act...

Bakerloo line 1972 Stock = 7 short cars

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Central line 1992 Stock = 8 short cars

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Circle/Hammersmith & City/District (Edgware Road - Wimbledon) C Stock = 6 short cars

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

District line D Stock = 6 long cars

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Metropolitan line A Stock, Metropolitan = 8 short cars

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Jubilee line 1996 Stock = 7 long cars

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Northern line 1995 Stock = 6 long cars (externally identical to 1996 Stock)

image hosted on flickr

Piccadilly line 1973 Stock = 6 long cars

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Victoria line 1967 Stock = 8 short cars (externally identical to the 1972 Stock)

image hosted on flickr

Waterloo & City line 1992 Stock = 4 short cars (externally identical to the 1992 Stock)

image hosted on flickr

Victoria line 2009 Stock, entered service in 2009 to replace the 1967 Stock. It'll be 8 slightly longer cars. These trains will be slightly (only slightly) larger than existing Tube stock as the Victoria line has slightly larger tunnels, they were built larger as the sixties planners thought that this would reduce air resistance.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sub-Surface line Stock (Circle, District, Hammersmith and City and Metropolitan lines) Circle, District Hammersmith & City lines will become 7 short cars (The Circle and Hammersmith and City are 6 short cars, the District 6 long cars, so it'll be the same for the District) Metropolitan will remaine as 8 short cars. These trains will feature air-conditioning and inter-connecting gangways, like Paris Metro line 1. As the Sub-surface lines were built for steam trains, there are sections for the hot air to be expelled. They are expected to enter service in 2010 on the Metropolitan, replacing the much-loved A Stock:

image hosted on flickr

And finally, something I thought was interesting...

Difference in size between the Sub-Surface Stock and the Tube Stock, it's the Piccadilly line 1973 Stock and Metropolitan line A Stock side by side on the Uxbridge branch:

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by iampuking; May 2nd, 2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #620
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

That's a very interesting post.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground