daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #761
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
I asked at Wimbledon the other day as I wanted to go to Waterloo and apparently it is still going to be a few months before they accept PAYG.
Oh so they will (as long as "a few months" will not take a few years)? That would be amazing news!
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #762
Anekdote

Likes (Received): 29

Wow, just came back from London.. you guys got a great network, only Baker Street station confused me abit, I thought the Metropolitan, District and Circle lines share the same platforms.. and took the wrong train/way.
Anekdote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #763
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

What mistake did you make?

Did you end up on the Metropolitan when you wanted the Circle/H&C?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #764
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

...It's a long way to Finchley Road!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #765
Anekdote

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
What mistake did you make?

Did you end up on the Metropolitan when you wanted the Circle/H&C?
Yep, took the Metropolitan to westbound, I wanted to go eastbound..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
exactly.. I was like, wtf where I am now..
and waited more than 10 minutes for a train to Aldgate..
Old August 8th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #766
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Jesus. Just give it a rest already, the guy's already over here...

...I'll make sure he sends you a postcard from Shite Hart Lane
This forum is meant for substantive arguments and not for brainless disparagements. If you have nothing to add keep quiet.
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #767
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
This forum is meant for substantive arguments and not for brainless disparagements. If you have nothing to add keep quiet.
Just because your assertion that a tourist coming to London for 3 days is in desperate need of a Travelcard covering Network Rail has been throrughly rubbished, there's no need to get cranky.

The guy asked for advice. You gave shit advice that would waste his money. The end.
Old August 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #768
Anekdote

Didn't notice you guys are still discussing about which ticket would be better to purchase.. I ended up buying a 3-day travelcard, because I won't use either rail or DLR services anyway.

And football tour, I only went to Arsenal's Emirates Stadium
Old August 9th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #769
lightrail

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
I did that. Back in those days, the Hammersmith and City was part of the Metropolitan Line. I wanted to go to Edgeware Road Station (on the Circle and Metropolitan, now H and C) - went to the wrong platform, got on the train and was wondering why the inside looked so quaint, kinda like something out of a Agatha Christie novel. Before the doors closed, I realised my mistake and got off the train, with only seconds to spare.

Also for any Canadian/Americans out there going to London, some tips:

1. A Subway is an underpass - it's not indicating the underground trains, but might, if you're lucky lead to an underground train
2. "Way Out" means "exit" - not some hippie expression
3. Interchange means transfer
4. London Underground uses eastbound, northbound, etc - same as America (due to an American taking over the building of many lines) - other railways use a confusing "up" and "down" terminology - up is towards London termini and down is going away from London
5. alight - means to get off the train
6. "mind the gap" - means watch out for the gap between the platform and train, usually on curved platforms - though some think it means watch the gap in logic of people who try to crush on the train before people get off the train
7. Mind the Doors - means throw yourself at the doors and try to hold them open and squeeze on the train
8. Ticket pricing - don't bother trying to figure out railway ticket pricing for the multitude of ticket types - it was developed at Bletchley Park in the 1940s and so far, no one can crack the code - just pay the price and don't ask.
9. On the District line - don't always believe the destination sign on the train or platform - the signalmen may have other ideas about where you're train is going
10. on the Bakerloo Line - operating normally, means the usual delays (for Tubeman)
11. Much of the Underground was built almost 100 years ago when people had the energy and ability to walk up and down stairs (for shallow stations) or take lifts to deeper stations - many stations require that you navigate stairs at some point - be ready for it.
12. For fun - try running up the spiral staircase at Hamstead Tube, the deepest on the system at 192 feet - unless you like running in circles and getting dizzy on the stairs, my advice is wait for the lift.
13 if you want to go to the deepest point below sea level - take the Jubilee Lines under the Thames
14 If you want to go to the highest point above street level, take the Northern Line to Mill Hill East
15 If you want to go to the highest point above sea level, take the Metropolitan Line to Amersham
16 If you want to take the longest journey without changing trains, take the Central Line from West Ruislip to Epping
17 If you want to take the shortest distance between two stations, take the Piccadilly Line from Leicester Square to Covent Gardens - and BTW if you really do this - just walk, it's quicker.

Last edited by lightrail; August 9th, 2009 at 04:59 AM.
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #770
flierfy

Quote:
Just because your assertion that a tourist coming to London for 3 days is in desperate need of a Travelcard covering Network Rail has been throrughly rubbished, there's no need to get cranky.

The guy asked for advice. You gave shit advice that would waste his money. The end.
I never praised travelcards as desperate needs. If you could read you would know that I made it dependent of where s/he is going. Your inability to grasp this makes me wonder whether you are intellectual overstrained with reading comprehension, conditional choices or both.
Either way you can stick your insulting comments where the sun doesn't shine. It would be a great gain for this forum if someone like you got lost.
Old August 9th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #771
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

^ You are having a laugh aren't you?! He is a fantastic member of this forum providing some insightful tip, news and history into the LU! I think you are the craze one if you think that!

(though without wanting to get involved, I can completely see both points of view)
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #772
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anekdote View Post
Didn't notice you guys are still discussing about which ticket would be better to purchase.. I ended up buying a 3-day travelcard, because I won't use either rail or DLR services anyway.
Oh don't worry we finished discussing it ages ago, as soon as he started gibbering on about tourists wanting to go to Shite Hart Lane and Selhurst Park. Glad you followed my (correct) advice though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anekdote View Post
And football tour, I only went to Arsenal's Emirates Stadium
Excellent choice sir
Old August 9th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #773
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
10. on the Bakerloo Line - operating normally, means the usual delays (for Tubeman)
*gasp*

The Bakerloo is actually, officially, one of the best performing lines if not the best
Old August 9th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #774
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
I never praised travelcards as desperate needs. If you could read you would know that I made it dependent of where s/he is going. Your inability to grasp this makes me wonder whether you are intellectual overstrained with reading comprehension, conditional choices or both.
Either way you can stick your insulting comments where the sun doesn't shine. It would be a great gain for this forum if someone like you got lost.
Joker
Old August 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #775
Minato ku

Quote:
*gasp*

The Bakerloo is actually, officially, one of the best performing lines if not the best
It explain the train in your avatar.

Old August 9th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #776
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Which stations is that?

Looks very similar to Melbourne's suburban stations. I guess they were probably built around the same time.
Old August 9th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #777
Minato ku

I took this picture in Willesden Junction.
Old August 9th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #778
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

When were the stations along the Bakerloo line built?

I'm assuming it would be around the same time that railways were being built here in Victoria.

Random shot of Toorak station - notice how similar the roof supports are.

image hosted on flickr
Old August 9th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #779
lightrail

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
When were the stations along the Bakerloo line built?

I'm assuming it would be around the same time that railways were being built here in Victoria.

Random shot of Toorak station - notice how similar the roof supports are.

image hosted on flickr
On the Bakerloo Tube (my favourite line by the way)
Elephant and Castle opened Aug 5, 1906

Lambert North opened on March 10, 1906 as Kennington Road, renamed Westminster Bridge Road on Aug 5, 1906, renamed Lamberth (North) April 15, 1917 and renamed Lamberth North in 1928

Waterloo opened March 10, 1906

Embankment opened on March 10, 1906, renamed Charling Cross (Embankment) on April 6, 1914, renamed Charing Cross on May 9, 1915, renamed Charing Cross Embankment August 4, 1974 , renamed Embankment September 12, 1976

Charing Cross opened on March 10, 1906 as Trafalgar Square, renamed Charing Cross when the interchanged opened on May 1, 1979

Piccadilly Circus opened on March 10, 1906

Oxford Circus opened on March 10, 1906

Regents Park opened on March 10, 1906

Baker Street opened on March 10, 1906

Marylebone opened on March 27, 1907 as Great Central (you'll see the name is still on the tiles in the station), renamed Marylebone on April 4, 1917

Edgeware Road opened on June 15, 1907

Paddington opened Dec 1, 1913

Warwick Avenue opened January 31, 1915

Maida Vale opened January 31, 1915

Kilburn Park opened January 31, 1915

Queens Park opened February 11, 1915

North of there to North Wembly, stations opened between 1915 and 1917 to Watford Junction, except Carpenders Hill opened in 1919 then moved in 1952.

North of Stonebridge Park, Bakerloo services were withdrawn on September 24 1982 and then reinstated on June 4, 1984 to Harrow and Weldstone (the Bakerloo shares track with and duplicates mainline services between Queens Park and Harrow and Weldstone, now operated by London Overground). Service north of Harrow and Weldstone is now operated by the Overground, though there's some speculation that the Bakerloo may once again operate to Watford Junction, replacing the Euston - Watford Junction Overground.

In 1939 the Bakerloo also opened a new line following the Metropolitan Line between Baker Street and Finchley Road, and at that time the Bakerloo took over the stopping service on this route to Wembley Park and the old Metropolitan branch line to Stanmore - this left the Metropolitan to run express from Wembley Park to Baker Street.

In 1979 when the Jubilee tube was opened, the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo was transfered to the Jubilee.
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #780
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaiow View Post
You are having a laugh aren't you?! He is a fantastic member of this forum providing some insightful tip, news and history into the LU! I think you are the craze one if you think that!

(though without wanting to get involved, I can completely see both points of view)
No, I don't have a laugh. I'd rather cry to see the standards in this forum going down the drain pretty quickly. He might be an appreciated member of profound knowledge on any other matter. But in this case he is acting rather silly.

But don't feel to be involved. I just had to tell my side of the story.

Quote:
Glad you followed my (correct) advice though
He bought a travelcard and you advised him an Oyster Card. He did pretty much the opposite of what you told him. So much for following your advice.

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground