daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2005, 12:51 AM   #61
SpastiK

Likes (Received): 163

nice pics!!

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #62
efrost
efrost

Likes (Received): 0

Nice pics, but deceiving I think... Canary Wharf st, Charing X st or Parlament st are not representative. The sad truth is that London underground is in a very poor condition. I have used it on daily basis it for 3 years and I have first hand expirience.
efrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #63
Never

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrost
Nice pics, but deceiving I think... Canary Wharf st, Charing X st or Parlament st are not representative. The sad truth is that London underground is in a very poor condition. I have used it on daily basis it for 3 years and I have first hand expirience.
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/press...es/0410/12.asp

As for the pics there are a lot of the older lines such as the Northern linem pictured, and you can see that these lines are due for major refurbishment.

Infact apart from the last couple of photos they are all of the older tube lines and stations with the Northern line being the deepest and most need of upgrading of all the tube lines, the pictures therefore mainly reflect the worst of the tube rather than the best.

Last edited by Never; January 4th, 2005 at 09:11 PM.
Never no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #64
efrost
efrost

Likes (Received): 0

humm, there are still 60´s trains running in the London underground...still, I am glad to see that see that major improvements are going to be made. London deserves a better public system. Are there any plans for the commuting trains as well?
efrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #65
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 677

Most of the old Suburban stock will have been replaced by the end of this year. Some of 1980's stock is going through extensive mid life replacement. I have certainly been impressed by the new trains on South West trains and the refurbished stock for the inner suburbs looks good too. The tube is certainly old and has been neglected, but finally proper investment is going in and within 7 years the network will be signifcantly more reliable. By 2016 most of the network will have replaced its trains, the new stock for the victoria line and the subsurface network will all be of walk through stock.
Rational Plan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:13 AM   #66
aznichiro115

Likes (Received): 13

so many types os stock in hong kong there are only 2 types on the main like 5 types total
aznichiro115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 05:17 AM   #67
Never

I love the Tube it's has a certain subteranean eerie quality about it

Actually this picture is more reflective of a Typical Tube Station
as they are not usually as cramped as the Northern Line.

The Tube System is full of diverse and unexpexted Architecture, here's
Notting Hill Tube Station

[IMG]http://******************/ajh/pictures.nsf/viewer/C5D4A74FC6BBC36980256D750033BD50/$FILE/1024_PICT2491.jpg[/IMG]

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by Never; January 5th, 2005 at 06:07 AM.
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #68
W A R I O

Likes (Received):

The tube,especicaly the nothern line,stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!

They shoudlnt allow people to use it!
Old January 5th, 2005, 01:47 PM   #69
Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by W A R I O
The tube,especicaly the nothern line,stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!

They shoudlnt allow people to use it!
But you stink W A R I O and your still allowed to use this site!!!!

Perhaps you should get a bath smelly!!!!

BTW F.... U

Last edited by Never; January 5th, 2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:38 PM   #70
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never
But you stink W A R I O and your still allowed to use this site!!!!

Perhaps you should get a bath smelly!!!!

BTW F.... U

Nothing beats the good old tube!
Old January 5th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #71
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrost
I'm sorry but I disagree. Its easy to look down your nose at the Tube when you have a stunning modern Metro like Madrid, but I'd be interested to see what it looks like when its 140 years old. Considering the age of the infrastructure I think that Tube stations and trains are very clean, bright and welcoming and very well-staffed.

If you offered me to swap the classic 19th Century stations like Notting Hill gate (above) and the turn of the century deep level tube line stations with their tiled walls for a load of space age stations then the Tube would lose all its character. Which stations / trains are you thinking of that are in "poor condition"? I think that cosmetically London Underground does a great job... the underinvestment is apparent looking at the track and signalling but the average customer wouldn't notice this.

Re: the 1960's trains...

Yes the Metropolitan Line runs 1960s stock, but it was totally overhauled 10 years ago (i.e. the cars stripped back to nothing and rebuilt) so its not as if you're looking at 1960s paintwork, floors or seats. To all intents and purposes the trains were brand new when refurbished from a customers point of view. In fact all older trains (pre-1980) were totally refurbished between 1990 and 2000 which coincided with brand new trains for the Central, Northern and Jubilee Lines. The oldest cars which haven't been refurbished are the D Stock on the District Line, which have just started being sent off for overhaul.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #72
Frog
SSC addict

Likes (Received): 3

i agree, the tube has character and charm unlike all these modern metros
Frog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #73
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmiler
Tubeman,

I agree with your comments regarding air conditioning. I wish the (air-con) situation could be otherwise! At times its so hot down there that if it were animals being carried (and not humans) then the transport operator would be prosecuted for cruelty!!!

The 1992 stock on Central Line have additional fans which blow air behind the seated passengers but oh! are they noisy!!! Also, many people leave discarded newspapers over them - blocking the airflow.

But, in the winter these trains can be cold, especially because of the (in my view) silly ruling that all doors must be opened by the driver at outdoor stations. These trains were built with passenger door controls (pdc) - both to open and close the doors - and it is a source of great annoyance that London Underground management have now arbitarily decreed that these pdc must not be used - at the pain of a driver loosing their job, I understand. Esepcially in weather such as we are experiencing right now (its a cold, frosty evening) passengers would benefit very much from not having a blast of icy cold air at every open air station. The situation at termini is even worse, as trains will stand in the platform with all doors open whilst the driver walks to the other end of the platform and then sits in the cab whilst awaiting the correct departure time.

Of course its not your fault that this is the situation and please dont take my strong views personally.

btw, I know about the "selective door opening" system fiited to many other trains, which means that only one (or 2?) doors per car is left open at terminal stations - its a shame that the 1992 stock does not appear to have this too.

Simon
I personally don't know the logic behind removing passenger door control on stocks like the D Stock which spends much of its time above ground at lightly-used stations (e.g. the "Wild East" between Barking and Upminster)... I believe the Central Line was an issue because there were door close buttons inside the cars which people *hilariously* used to maliciously shut doors prematurely if someone was running for the train, for instance (resulting in Health & Safety concerns).
Old January 5th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #74
Tubeman
Jubilation

My Underground Train Thread
Old January 5th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #75
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Any pics of the first line?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #76
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone
Any pics of the first line?
As in the first ever, the Metropolitan Railway from Farringdon Street to Paddington?
Old January 5th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #77
Tubeman
Jubilation

Baker Street Station then:

And Now:

Link

King's Cross then:

Compare it to the photo of Notting Hill Gate station above; the ornate over-roof was standard for the original Metropolitan Railway stations. The King's Cross Station above is closed today, as it was relocated towards the Main Line terminus in the 1940s... The present day Metropolitan platforms aren't much to look at in comparison.

Another thing you may notice is how wide the trains are; the line was built to Great Western Railway 7" Broad gauge as opposed to English standard 4' 8.5", as it physically linked to the Great Western Railway at Paddington. If you look closely you can see a third rail... this is (obviously) nothing to do with electric trains, the line is actually dual-gauge so both Broad and Standard Gauge trains could use the route (it also linked to the Main Lines at King's Cross, St Pancras and Liverpool Street).
Old January 8th, 2005, 11:36 PM   #78
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18139

Interestingly, the District and Circle line trains are wider and taller than the other lines. It's quite easy to bump the head while standing by the door on the typical London Underground train.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 02:31 AM   #79
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Interestingly, the District and Circle line trains are wider and taller than the other lines. It's quite easy to bump the head while standing by the door on the typical London Underground train.
The District, Circle, Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan and East London Lines all use what is known as "Surface" Stock, which is basically of the same dimensions as Mainline Trains. This reflects the fact that they are the oldest parts of London Underground and built as Mainline Railways that happened to pass under London's streets. They all had numerous connections with Mainline railways when first built, some of which remain (e.g. District Line at Gunnersbury and East Putney, and Metropolitan Line at Harrow-on-the-Hill and Amersham). They all also originally used steam traction (see picture above from King's Cross).

The later, smaller "Tube" lines were all self-contained and electrically powered from their inception. Their dimensions were as small as possible to minimise construction costs, although they still use the Standard Gauge... admittedly they can feel quite pokey if you aren't used to them.
Old January 9th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #80
spsmiler

Likes (Received): 2

Hi Never,

where was this taken - I dont recognise it!

also, is this (below) the passageway linking the museums to South Kensignton station?

Simon

spsmiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground