daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #781
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
He bought a travelcard and you advised him an Oyster Card. He did pretty much the opposite of what you told him. So much for following your advice.
I advised him not to bother getting Network Rail coverage, and he followed this advice:

"I ended up buying a 3-day travelcard, because I won't use either rail or DLR services anyway"

If he chose paper over Oyster (which isn't clear), he'd have spent a little more... But that's his headache.

He certainly saved plenty by not following your advice to get NR coverage so he can go to White Hart Lane, Battersea Park, Twickenham and Selhurst Park

Seriously, give it up... You really making a fool of yourself
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #782
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
I never praised travelcards as desperate needs. If you could read you would know that I made it dependent of where s/he is going. Your inability to grasp this makes me wonder whether you are intellectual overstrained with reading comprehension, conditional choices or both.
Either way you can stick your insulting comments where the sun doesn't shine. It would be a great gain for this forum if someone like you got lost.
No need to be so rude to one of the most respected persons on this forum.
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #783
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
I advised him not to bother getting Network Rail coverage, and he followed this advice:

"I ended up buying a 3-day travelcard, because I won't use either rail or DLR services anyway"

If he chose paper over Oyster (which isn't clear), he'd have spent a little more... But that's his headache.

He certainly saved plenty by not following your advice to get NR coverage so he can go to White Hart Lane, Battersea Park, Twickenham and Selhurst Park.
Stick to the facts: I advised him an Oyster Card unless he needed NR coverage.
The travelcard he bought after all covered National Rail whether it was wanted or not. So he didn't saved nothing at all. Any travelcard actually covers National rail services in the respective zones:

Travelcards are great if you plan to travel on the Tube, and they are also valid on bus, tram, DLR, London Overground and National Rail services.
(Source: tfl.gov.uk)
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #784
lightrail

Likes (Received): 16

Okay kids - stop fighting - let's get back on topic
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #785
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
Okay kids - stop fighting - let's get back on topic
This thread was dead before so it's an improvement.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #786
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
On the Bakerloo Tube (my favourite line by the way)
Elephant and Castle opened Aug 5, 1906

Lambert North opened on March 10, 1906 as Kennington Road, renamed Westminster Bridge Road on Aug 5, 1906, renamed Lamberth (North) April 15, 1917 and renamed Lamberth North in 1928

Waterloo opened March 10, 1906

Embankment opened on March 10, 1906, renamed Charling Cross (Embankment) on April 6, 1914, renamed Charing Cross on May 9, 1915, renamed Charing Cross Embankment August 4, 1974 , renamed Embankment September 12, 1976

Charing Cross opened on March 10, 1906 as Trafalgar Square, renamed Charing Cross when the interchanged opened on May 1, 1979

Piccadilly Circus opened on March 10, 1906

Oxford Circus opened on March 10, 1906

Regents Park opened on March 10, 1906

Baker Street opened on March 10, 1906

Marylebone opened on March 27, 1907 as Great Central (you'll see the name is still on the tiles in the station), renamed Marylebone on April 4, 1917

Edgeware Road opened on June 15, 1907

Paddington opened Dec 1, 1913

Warwick Avenue opened January 31, 1915

Maida Vale opened January 31, 1915

Kilburn Park opened January 31, 1915

Queens Park opened February 11, 1915

North of there to North Wembly, stations opened between 1915 and 1917 to Watford Junction, except Carpenders Hill opened in 1919 then moved in 1952.

North of Stonebridge Park, Bakerloo services were withdrawn on September 24 1982 and then reinstated on June 4, 1984 to Harrow and Weldstone (the Bakerloo shares track with and duplicates mainline services between Queens Park and Harrow and Weldstone, now operated by London Overground). Service north of Harrow and Weldstone is now operated by the Overground, though there's some speculation that the Bakerloo may once again operate to Watford Junction, replacing the Euston - Watford Junction Overground.

In 1939 the Bakerloo also opened a new line following the Metropolitan Line between Baker Street and Finchley Road, and at that time the Bakerloo took over the stopping service on this route to Wembley Park and the old Metropolitan branch line to Stanmore - this left the Metropolitan to run express from Wembley Park to Baker Street.

In 1979 when the Jubilee tube was opened, the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo was transfered to the Jubilee.
Thanks for all the dates, very informative!

I just checked on Wikipedia, and the stations that I had in mind [here in Melbourne] opened around the year 1889, which came as a surprise as I thought they'd have opened a few decades later.
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #787
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

I hat to revive the argument, but in September I'll be in London for four days and I plan to try some PT services that I haven't tried yet, such as DLR and overground. Hence I believe an Oyster Card to be the best choice for me. On the TFL website I saw that there are "Oyster Cards for Overseas Visitors". Does it mean I have to get one before arriving in London, or can I get one right at Heathrow Airport? I didn't quite figure that out.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #788
ChrisH

Likes (Received): 12

You can just buy one at the Heathrow Airport underground station.
ChrisH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #789
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

I don't know if this has been shown before, but I found it quite fascinating!
http://web.archive.org/web/200604270...larke.org/lul/
The site gives the well known geographical map, but also strip maps of several lines. I think the site dates 2006, and it no longer exists, but you can use the archiving machine to look at the site. Just thought I'd share for those who haven't seen it and encourage anyone who has seen similar to share too!
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #790
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Post 470 made by lightrail cracked me up!

I love the London Underground - it's full of character, there is such a wide spectrum of architecture style, the attention to detail is immaculate and every now and then it throws some surprises at you. The Metro system in Shanghai (my hometown) is very modern and efficient and all that, but I do find it all a bit ... too homogeneous, and there really aren't many historical stories to tell...

I love the soft cushion seats, and the term 'moquette' just makes it sound classy ... ;D
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #791
rheintram
yeah, whatever

I started to wonder whether Oyster is really always the best choice. Maybe someone could enlighten me:

I will arrive at about 8:00 in the morning on a Tuesday at Heathrow airport, which is in fare zone six. I will stay near St. Pancras for four days. If I would get an Oyster card I would pay once for the trip from the airport to the hotel and the rest of the day stay in zones 1 and 2. That means my daily cap would be £14.30 because I would do my first journey unfortunately in peak time, according to http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/5196.aspx

Now I wonder if that would be really cheaper than getting a 1-2 zones Travelcard for three days (£18,40), which does not differentiate between on and off peak, and pay for the additional trip to Heathrow (£3.20). Of course with the travel card I would need to find an additional solution for my last day. But 18,40 for three days + £3.20 for the Airport trip seems much cheaper to me than £14.30 for the first day only.

So what's really cheaper? Honestly I'm confused. And then a last question: If I put say £30 on my Oyster card and there is some money left on it. Can I cash it in before I leave?
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #792
NCT
Not Cwite There

I don't know how capping works exactly. I rather suspect it will cap to the zone 1-2 travelcard (less 50p) while just charging you for the zone 3-6 journey from Heathrow. That's only an educated guess on my part - I'm sure Tubeman will be able to shed more light on this matter.

If you've got excess credit on you card when you hand it back IIRC they will refund the remaining credit.
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #793
Anekdote

Likes (Received): 29

Two weeks ago when I was in London, I purchased a 3-days travelcard in Paddington underground station, which is for underground and bus use only. In my opinion the 3-days travelcard was the cheaper way for me.

Because, I traveled very much much with the underground and buses, I also traveled during peak-time, didn't travel either overground or DLR or used the railservices and I only traveled in the zone 1-2.

Hope it helped you abit.
Anekdote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #794
NCT
Not Cwite There

The Travelcard DOES allow you to travel on national rail services within the zones covered.
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #795
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

The cap might be at £14.30 for your first day. But that doesn't mean that you'll charge that money. The Oyster fare for the peak time trip form Heathrow T123 to KXSP is £3.80. For any other trip within Zone 1 and 2 they charge you £1.60. So unless you make 7 more trips that day you won't reach the cap.

Presumed you make just two more trips on the first day it'd cost you £7.00.
The next three days £5.10 (off-peak Oyster cap for Zone 1-2) -----£15.30.
and the day you're leaving another £3.80
--------------------------------------------------------
That would be £26.10 in total

The Oyster Card should be cheaper than the Travelcard.

Last edited by flierfy; August 18th, 2009 at 04:38 PM.
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #796
Anekdote

Likes (Received): 29

Don't really know, the guy in the ticket office told me only underground and buses.
Anekdote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #797
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Thank you flierfly! However I will probably travel more than that. On the last day I only arrive at the airport at around four, which means I would travel before again inside zone 1-2. Well I really got to think it through, it's tricky :-) I assume Oyster is usually the cheapest, if u don't have to take the route to the Airport twice within a week...

Btw Anekdote: According to the TFL website the travelcards work also on DLR and Overground.
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #798
Minato ku

Travelcard also work in some national railway services.
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #799
chris.haynes

Likes (Received): 19

Possible Future Tube Map:

I drew this up any thoughts ...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=3727
chris.haynes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #800
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
If you've got excess credit on you card when you hand it back IIRC they will refund the remaining credit.
True as well as the initial deposit on the card.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground