daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2010, 12:32 PM   #961
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Anything that gives you the excuse to escape 'modern-day communication technology' is a good thing IMHO. :p
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:33 PM   #962
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
This only remains at 2 locations; Clapham Common and Clapham North.

Many of the original City & South London Railway's stations had this layout, but with time the number has dwindled through modernisation works (e.g. Angel) or reconfiguration due to new interchanges (e.g. Euston and Stockwell, with the Victoria Line).

One of the reasons why Angel was reconfigured was explicitly because the narrow island platform was becoming dangerously crowded.
How did they reconfigure the station? Build side platforms?

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. [email protected]
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:27 PM   #963
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

Does anyone know if the renovations at Marble Arch are finished yet, or when they will be? Several months ago they tore down most of the decorations and opened up some of the walls, and it was still in the same state when I was there around a month ago.
Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:58 PM   #964
lightrail

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
How did they reconfigure the station? Build side platforms?

Cheers, m
No - the tunnels are deep level bored tubes. They bored another tube adjacent and rerouted trains in one direction into the new tunnel and patform. The existing island was converted to a single line with an extra large side platform.

Angle Station original island platform in a single tunnel

Angel Station original station tunnel converted to single direction with one large platofrm - the other platform and line are in a new adjacent tube tunnel

The new station also had escalators installed to replace the lifts. Angel is a very deep station and has the longest escalators on the London Underground. As a result, the surface entrance was moved a couple of block to accommodate the angle and depth the escalators had to travel.

THe Long Escalators at Angel Station (source: dailylondonphoto)

Diagram of the reconstruction showing the new entrance and escalators and the old lifts and the old entrance.

source: geocities.com
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:09 AM   #965
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth View Post
There has been some statements on the board claiming that London Underground have no mobile coverage? Is it true?
Correct... No coverage other than what leaks in from above ground

The technology is already in situ to allow mobile coverage across LU, as the 'Connect' secure radio system uses Motorola mobile technology, but a decision was made not to allow general mobile phone use underground... I welcome this; it would be a huge nuisance 99% of the time. Imagine 10 simultaneous conversations taking place in your carriage, each person trying to shout above the background noise level. I also think that perhaps the antennae for 'Connect' would become overloaded in an emergency situation with passengers all trying to make calls, blocking the network from usage by emergency services and LU staff (the system is completely compatible with that used by the police and fire and ambulance services, allowing their radios to work underground).

I would welcome allowing text messaging though... That would be much more civilised (provided the phone alerts were on vibrate).
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:37 AM   #966
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
No - the tunnels are deep level bored tubes. They bored another tube adjacent and rerouted trains in one direction into the new tunnel and patform. The existing island was converted to a single line with an extra large side platform.
thanks very much for the information.

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. [email protected]
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 12:33 PM   #967
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6985

Partially replied in the Moscow metro thread to give an example

Quote:
Imagine 10 simultaneous conversations taking place in your carriage, each person trying to shout above the background noise level.
That's a big stereotype one. Modern phones have good mics and speakers. Also noise inside the cars isn't that high. Of course it would be a problem for some phones to process your voice when the train is moving near you. But it's not a problem for most of modern, especially high-end phones.

Quote:
I would welcome allowing text messaging though... That would be much more civilised (provided the phone alerts were on vibrate).
What's more - the Internet. An ability to chat with friends by WLM, ICQ, Skype etc, surfing sites and even watching TV.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 01:23 PM   #968
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

Quote:
I welcome this; it would be a huge nuisance 99% of the time. Imagine 10 simultaneous conversations taking place in your carriage, each person trying to shout above the background noise level.
I disagree. We've had this in Bucharest metro for a few years now and I can tell you that 99% of the time it isn't an issue. You occasionally have the idiot loud talker, but other than that it's ok, the signal is decent with a few points in the tunnel, in-between stations and I welcome this.

Note that I'm extremely pissed when people don't seem to be able to operate a phone and shout like mad, I'm not that fond of the average metro user here and I rarely actually talk on the phone while in the metro, but I do text.

Just wanted to point out that this thing with 10 people speaking over each other is a myth, like coth also pointed out.
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:22 PM   #969
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7469

Old April 2nd, 2010, 07:50 PM   #970
Apoc89

Likes (Received): 55

On the whole phone thing, although I can understand why people would be concerned with the talking(although I also have agree with coth and Cosmin that most of the fear of mobile phones is plain technophobia), I see no reason why things like texting or data connections shouldn't be allowed, other than bandwidth. Modern smartphones are more like general communication devices than plain phones, and being completely cut off from the outside world whenever you board the train is becoming rather silly.
Apoc89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM   #971
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Correct... No coverage other than what leaks in from above ground

The technology is already in situ to allow mobile coverage across LU, as the 'Connect' secure radio system uses Motorola mobile technology, but a decision was made not to allow general mobile phone use underground... I welcome this; it would be a huge nuisance 99% of the time. Imagine 10 simultaneous conversations taking place in your carriage, each person trying to shout above the background noise level. I also think that perhaps the antennae for 'Connect' would become overloaded in an emergency situation with passengers all trying to make calls, blocking the network from usage by emergency services and LU staff (the system is completely compatible with that used by the police and fire and ambulance services, allowing their radios to work underground).

Strange... I often travel with National Rail (SW Trains) during the morning peak hours and have never witnessed such a 'problem'. Even if there is an occasional call, the carriages are usually free from mobile conversations. On the other hand, many people are texting, emailing or browsing internet (just as myself). I try to avoid communing with LU wherever possible because I cannot use my bloody email and browse the very same SSC. Now what surprises me (or even shocks I would say) that some people actually advocate that. I just don't understand how can one advocate something that is fundamentally wrong and backward.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:28 PM   #972
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:

What's more - the Internet. An ability to chat with friends by WLM, ICQ, Skype etc, surfing sites and even watching TV.
I remember using my then fresh new Nokia N95 in Hong Kong MTR back in 2007. HSDPA coverage (a new thing back then) was perfect and many people were extremely busy texting or browsing net (including myself... I didn't have to pay roaming charges with my UK provider). It most certainly is not a problem there and I don't see why it should be a problem in LU or anywhere else for that matter. I guess it's simply an inability/unwillingness to catch up with times and therefore some naive excuses are put in place.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:15 PM   #973
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Hehe, I count being able to sit back and relax without worrying about e-mails or calls a blessing...
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:54 PM   #974
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
Hehe, I count being able to sit back and relax without worrying about e-mails or calls a blessing...
On/Off button on your mobile can do just the same anywhere at any time.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:18 AM   #975
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
That's a big stereotype one. Modern phones have good mics and speakers. Also noise inside the cars isn't that high. Of course it would be a problem for some phones to process your voice when the train is moving near you. But it's not a problem for most of modern, especially high-end phones.
Some LU lines are spectacularly noisy though... The background noise on sections of the Victoria, Bakerloo and Central lines (amongst others) is deafening... I just imagine people trying to shout over the top of that...
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:35 AM   #976
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Victoria isn't as noisy as it used to be cause of track replacements, however even with the new trains some sections are still really loud. Central line is mostly quiet except maybe Liverpool Street - Stratford. Bakerloo is only bad where there are curves, like most other lines. I actually find the new section of the Jubilee to be pretty noisy in places, surprisingly.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 03:58 AM   #977
marciomaco
Peido Ninja!!!

Likes (Received): 150

In some parts of Piccadilly line, there was some noise, but was from the curves to Covent Garden
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:11 AM   #978
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Over here it isn't the conversations that drive you nuts, but instead idiots blasting music off their phones. Especially since they play dance or techno tracks. Not even jamming mobile coverage can stop that. Annoying idiots... Personally, I don't like talking on the phone when on the train, underground mostly. Having mobile coverage though, can be useful in an emergency. Its been known that people have managed to help rescue crews find them through communication by mobile phones.
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:30 PM   #979
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7469

Old April 4th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #980
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Piccadilly Circus is one of the ugliest stations in Central London. Except the ticket hall.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
britain, emirates, london, underground